Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-09-2001, 01:16 AM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

LA Clippers

starters: Odom, Maggette, Q. Richardson, Miles, Brand
then: Olowokandi, Doooling, McIness, Piatkowski.

Toronto Raptos

starters: A. Williams, Carter, M. Peterson, Oakley, A. Davis
then: Keon Clark, Chris Childs, Jerome Williams.

WOW those teams would be entertaining.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:13 PM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to the Clippers, they're going to be something else, as a TEAM that is. There is no doubt though on an individual basis, I'd much rather see Vince than anyone on those two teams.
Old 07-09-2001, 03:27 PM   #3
JoeGalvan

JoeGalvan is on a distinguished road

so, you are saying.

that a team with 4 forwards and one 2-guard is going to be the most exciting team in the nba (clips). that is very interesting.

anyway, i feel that mavs are the most exciting team in the league. just because they are the only team i know of that can come back from 15+ down on a consistent basis.

also, with kenny gettin in a few minutes at the point, it should be interesting to see that mavs break with the quick.
JoeGalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 03:46 PM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I didn't take that question as which was the most exciting in the NBA, I took it as which was more exciting out of the two.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:25 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Really...there are more exciting teams than the 2, but I would have to agree that out of the 2 the clips are the most exciting...Miles is a highlight real waitng to happen.. They might even be the 2nd most exciting overall to the Mavs.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:44 PM   #6
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I would say the Raptors suck too much to be considered exciting...
Old 07-09-2001, 04:46 PM   #7
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

LOL
Old 07-09-2001, 11:00 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Out of the 2. Definitly the Clip show.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:34 PM   #9
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

The Clippers most definetly. That team is young and very very athletic. Fun to watch. Up and comers for sure- probably not going anywhere- but athletic none the less...
Old 07-10-2001, 07:39 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I guess now I'd have to say the Clips. Its fun to watch high-flying corn-rowed kids dunking and ally-ooping left and right. They will lose a ton of games next year though.

Neither the Clips or the Raptors will be exciting for very long though. Neither team seems willing or capable of retaining their high profile free agents. I'm pretty sure that in the next few years we'll see a mass exodous of talent out of these teams again... an ongoing rebuilding process.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 09:28 PM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

This year's Clip Show + 1 year experience + Elton Brand is a playoff team. Especially with the Blazers, Suns, and possibly Jazz on their way to hell next year...
Old 07-10-2001, 10:16 PM   #12
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with madape. The Clips are an exciting team, but I doubt if they are a winning team next year. The Blazers and Suns might be on the way down, but the Rockets and the Sonics look like they are improving. I put the Clippers in the category with Denver - might make a playoff run, but it is unlikely.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:21 PM   #13
Mavinator
Golden Member

The Clippers were already a winning team in the last month or two of the regular season. If they don't make the playoffs this coming year with Elton Brand on the roster, you better believe Alvin Gentry is fired... and you're gonna owe me a coke, MFFL...
Old 07-11-2001, 10:12 PM   #14
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Genrty said that himself...except for he coke part.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:26 PM   #15
Mavinator
Golden Member

And when I say "coke", I mean "cocaine". Preferably free-based. That's right, MFFL, I know how you're able to have so much free-time for reading articles on the internet...
Old 07-11-2001, 11:46 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Mavinator - I'll buy you that coca-cola if the Clips even hit .500 (no coke for me - my drug days were in the 70's).
Old 07-11-2001, 11:48 PM   #17
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

You serious MFFL...below 500. I want in on this Coca-Cola action.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:49 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

You're covered ft!
Old 07-11-2001, 11:50 PM   #19
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I'll return the favor if they don't make the play-offs.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:54 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

I'll have to add rum to it. That's the only way to drink coca-cola.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:47 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd put a keg on it...the clips won't exceed 500
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:15 AM   #22
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Why are yall so skeptical? They're VERY talented and have new leadership who they can look up to, but still realate with.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:53 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

we're skeptical because they're a young team that hasn't proven much...and they're playing in the west...if they were in the east, yes, i'd think they'd win 41
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:44 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

I'm skeptical because the Clippers have a losing organization. The owner's first priority is not to win, it is to make money. That attitude spreads through the organization and players. The Mavs were the Clippers (good young team with lots of upside and bad ownership) until Cuban took over. That's the reason IMO that the Mavs started winning - the owner made winning the priority.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:47 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Mavinator and Flying Tiger

Don't forget our bets.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:07 AM   #26
Mavinator
Golden Member

'Course not. The Clippers were above .500 for the last third or so of last year, and they've improved tremendously over the summer... They won't be able to help but be over .500 this year. Bank on it...
Old 10-31-2001, 06:49 PM   #27
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I'm right here with ya.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:45 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

I'm still don't think the Clippers will make the playoffs.
------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the link
December 19, 2001
By ART THOMPSON III
The Orange County Register

PHOENIX -- It was a statement game for the Clippers, and not just because it was nationally televised and gave an audience that sees only highlights of them a rare extended view.

Tuesday's victory by the Clippers against the Phoenix Suns also was a game in which they took a stand: win for the first time on the road, win against a team that desperately needed a home victory after two consecutive losses and continue the momentum from Sunday's victory against Eastern power Detroit.

The Clippers did all of that at America West Arena by rallying in the fourth quarter for the 96-92 triumph. The first road victory after six losses boosted the Clippers' record to 14-11, marking the first time they have been three games over .500 since the 1995-96 season when they were 6-3. It is the Clippers' best record after 25 games since the 1992-93 season when they also were 14-11.

BRUISED BUT TOUGH

Unnoticed by many, the Clippers are one of the league's hottest teams; they have won nine of their past 12 games. They are physically banged up but hanging in and winning games.

Lamar Odom, the team's best all-around player, was a one-armed player Tuesday because of a badly sprained right wrist. He did not even know if he would be able to play. Yet, Odom came tantalizingly close to achieving a triple-double with eight points, 10 assists and eight rebounds in 36 minutes.

"Every time I caught a pass or put the ball in the (right) hand it was agonizing," Odom said. "But I knew how important this game was. I didn't shoot much, but I was able to do other things to help us.''

Corey Maggette has been starting at shooting guard in place of Eric Piatkowski, who has missed eight of the past nine games with a strained hip flexor. Maggette is playing despite a strained patella tendon in his right knee. Now he has a right hip pointer after taking a hard spill to the floor on a drive in Tuesday's game.

Maggette was 2 for 20 from the field in the previous two games but he hit both of his three-point attempts against the Suns and was 6 of 7 from the field overall.

"I'm sore as hell, but I'm glad our team won," said Maggette, who scored 17 points before leaving the game for good in the third quarter.

BENCH HELP

The Clippers' resurgence over the second half of last season was keyed in great part by their second unit. The Clippers bench led the NBA in scoring at 37 points per game. The second unit has been a catalyst so far this season, and it was the play of reserves Quentin Richardson, Darius Miles and backup point guard Earl Boykins that sparked Tuesday's comeback victory.

"Our second unit constantly comes in and bails us out," starting point guard Jeff McInnis said. "In this league you have to have two good groups to win."

During the Clippers' decisive fourth-quarter move Tuesday, McInnis and the 5-foot-5 Boykins teamed in the backcourt.

"It definitely gave us an advantage," Boykins said, "because we've never done that, and it caught Phoenix off guard. When we went small, we were able to match their quickness."

RICHARDSON WAKES UP

Richardson said it was a combination of the Suns going to sleep, and him asserting himself in the fourth quarter that resulted in Richardson scoring 11 of his 16 points in that period.

"I was upset with myself for missing shots early," he said. "I shot with more confidence and determination in the fourth quarter."

Typically, once Richardson hits his first three-pointer, another is sure to follow.

"I have to heat-check myself, especially if I hit one early, but I feel then like I'm on a roll," he said.

SUNS BURNED

How did the Clippers rally?

"In the fourth quarter, they decided to go ahead and win the game," Suns coach Scott Skiles said. "They got up in the backcourt and pressed us, and we didn't handle it very well."
Old 12-21-2001, 04:35 PM   #29
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Remember...you changed the bet from playoffs to 500.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

I know the Clips are 17-15 right now, but 23 of their next 32 games are on the road. Wicked schedule.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:25 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

And the Clips are have only won twice on the road (including tonight's game @ Denver) vs 8 losses.