Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Dirk Nowitzki be back for another season? 'It's looking like it'

“I’m not going to say 100 percent I’ll be back -- but it’s looking like it,” Nowitzki said after the Mavericks had a morning walk-through at the Olympic Club in downtown San Francisco. “I feel fine so far. I’ve played every game. I’d love to play all 82. That would be amazing at [age] 39. We’ll see how the body feels. But so far, it’s been fine.”

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...n-looking-like

Have to turn off Ad-blockers to access the article
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dirk, would love to see him play another season, but he's the worst possible thing for a rebuild -- dude is talking about trying to sneak into the playoffs this year. This team doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs, but they're certainly scrappy enough to push for a mediocre pick... I just don't see us getting back into contention until after we've gone through a full rebuild, and I don't see us going through a full rebuild until after Dirk retires. The longer he sticks around, the longer it's going to be until we're a playoff team again.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-15-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I love Dirk, would love to see him play another season, but he's the worst possible thing for a rebuild -- dude is talking about trying to sneak into the playoffs this year. This team doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs, but they're certainly scrappy enough to push for a mediocre pick... I just don't see us getting back into contention until after we've gone through a full rebuild, and I don't see us going through a full rebuild until after Dirk retires. The longer he sticks around, the longer it's going to be until we're a playoff team again.
I agree. This will never be any other player's team until he retires. And Dirk playing well makes it an even tougher pill to swallow, but this thing feels tired now. I want to see him go out playing well and healthy anyway. And I don't think we're taking it for granted either. Most of us around here have watched him play every or nearly every game for the last 18 years. It was a great run, but it has to end at some point.

And Harris, Barea, and Dirk will only be healthy for so long until the wheels eventually fall off again. None of those three be injury free come March...it's a near guarantee.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I'm personally very happy about this, and I'm sure some part of every Maverick fan feels the same way. Of course, this is all emotional. I'm not really analyzing the pros and cons of Dirk continuing to play through a "rebuilding" process.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
I'm personally very happy about this, and I'm sure some part of every Maverick fan feels the same way. Of course, this is all emotional. I'm not really analyzing the pros and cons of Dirk continuing to play through a "rebuilding" process.
As long as everyone is realistic about expectations its fine. Gunning for the playoffs this season is dumb. It will only land us in nowhere land. After FA and hopefully another good draft pick and DSJ's continued growth maybe next season we can legit contend for 8th in the West? Could be a really fun final year with the two future faces of the franchise, DSJ and say Doncic, with Dirk riding off into the sunset. Gotta get that second stud though.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I love that he's playing another year. I hate that he's talking about sneaking into the playoffs. I hate that it's still very obviously a team goal to do whatever it takes to sneak into the playoffs. The only reason we aren't much further away from the playoffs is because so many teams hit the injury bug. Our injury bug is what... seth curry? That hardly compares to Clippers, Nuggets, and Memphis. The whole MBT is completely delusional at this point if they think competing for the 8-10th seed is in anyway a tribute to Dirk or part of some sort of "winning ways" reclamation. There is no shame in trading away vets and competing with the exact same intensity but with an eye to the future.

So this article falls in line with everything this season represents. It gives us all mixed feelings. Happy to have Dirk here as long as he wants. Very unhappy that we will likely be mediocre for 2 years and then start an actual rebuild. Everything is bittersweet. It's too early to drink... but I'm getting wasted later.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

You know what never mind. Drinking early is much healthier then whatever the hell the Mavs are doing to me.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I welcome Dirk coming back. He's perked up after a rough first 10 games or so this year, but at this point I don't think he's good enough to really move the needle for us either way... and it always helps younger players to have reliable shooters around them.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

I’m the biggest Dirk homer there is so I’m perfectly ok with him coming back for another season. For what he’s done for this franchise and for this city he’s earned the right to play as long as he wants.

He’s absolutely killing the Mavs chances of tanking though.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Dammit - those were expensive tickets for the offing PHX suns.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I agree 100%. I've decided that I'm pretty much done watching the Mavs this year. I don't want to go through the agony of them winning just enough games to get a middling pick. I now fully expect it, so I've now readjusted my expectations for the future. At the rate their going, it'll be 2020 or 2021 before they have a playoff contending team on the upswing now. Then again, they might trade some more first rounders away for a mediocre vet and drag it out even longer. :-(

Last edited by turin; 12-18-2017 at 11:25 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I agree 100%. I've decided that I'm pretty much done watching the Mavs this year. I don't want to go through the agony of them winning just enough games to get a middling pick. I now fully expect it, so I've now readjusted my expectations for the future. At the rate their going, it'll be 2020 or 2021 before they have a playoff contending team on the upswing now. Then again, they might trade some more first rounders away for a mediocre vet and drag it out even longer. :-(
Thing is, even if they wanted to try and make playoffs (they are), we'll still be at the bottom of the pack. I still expect a top 5 pick, even with the guys out there trying. Theyre that bad.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I love Dirk, I'm not sure his playing helps us win. We funnel him the ball in the last minute of xlose games, but clutch Dirk rarely comes through anymore. He has played every game and we've won 8. What would make us lose even more is if some contender needs a backup PG and will give us some value for JJB...
Old 12-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, i totally understand why he thinks like that and says it. Its his daily motivation.

And lets be honest, 14 losses with seven points or less despite a brutal schedule. A few lucky bounces, deserved calls for DSJ, a few less bonehead crunchtime plays and we are looking at a 0.500 record right now...so again: Thats why Dirk said it.

I really cheer for the Jazz/Thunder/Blazers. Its really really important in january/february that the #8 spot is really faaar away. 15-20 games. So the Mavs dont do a stupid "win now" trade before the TDL...

And so far its looking good.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I think Dirk should retire at the age of 46, like Nolan Ryan, or at least 44 like Kevin Willis. That way he can continue to climb the record books. I don't feel like we'll have that much to look forward to so as long as he wants to play I'm all for it. He is still starting. We need like 5 seasons of him off the bench.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I think he hangs it up after this season - my favorite athlete of all time!
He was THE closer for the team for decades and it must kill him to not be out
there in crunch time. He is so self-deprecating, and I like that about him, but there
is are hints of truth in some of his comments.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

If he didnt miss a lot of games last year he could have cracked Wilt Chamberlain in Points Alltime.

If he Plays next Season he will get him.

I also feel that he might hang em up. He still tries but he doesnt have the same fire under him that he had for 12-13 years in the League.

Its telling that hes okay being on the bench in crunchtime to let the Young guys learn.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Nah, I think the record for playing the most seasons with one team is very important to him. He's said as much this past offseason when he was changing up his routine. He constantly blamed that and the earlier start for his poor/injured/slow starts to the past two seasons. The biggest takeaway is that he is healthy and playing in every game. His shot is still pure and I think if that remains true throughout the season that he will be back next year.

Now, the question for me is if he will accept a bench role or not. Depends if there is a worthy starter that makes sense over him, but he will see a lesser role. I think he will be OK with that.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Nah, I think the record for playing the most seasons with one team is very important to him. He's said as much this past offseason when he was changing up his routine. He constantly blamed that and the earlier start for his poor/injured/slow starts to the past two seasons. The biggest takeaway is that he is healthy and playing in every game. His shot is still pure and I think if that remains true throughout the season that he will be back next year.

Now, the question for me is if he will accept a bench role or not. Depends if there is a worthy starter that makes sense over him, but he will see a lesser role. I think he will be OK with that.
Yeah, he's not even taking off B2Bs, which says a lot about how he's feeling.

As far as a bench role? He's pretty much already there with his 25 MPG... He's listed as the starter and he's on the court at tipoff, but he isn't closing every game anymore. And I think you'd see even less of Dirk if Noel had panned out, but right now we still don't have any better options.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-18-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, he's not even taking off B2Bs, which says a lot about how he's feeling.

As far as a bench role? He's pretty much already there with his 25 MPG... He's listed as the starter and he's on the court at tipoff, but he isn't closing every game anymore. And I think you'd see even less of Dirk if Noel had panned out, but right now we still don't have any better options.
True, I guess he is. And unless you have a Bagley or some other stud enter the picture, he will remain in the same role with perhaps just a tick lower in minutes. Even with Bagley, he could remain the starting center for the start of games.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #21
Luke

Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough

And he's shooting the ball really well. If he continues to shoot the ball at a high level and contribute, then I would be surprised if he doesn't come back next season.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote