Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Will we make a deadline trade?
No 73 41.24%
Yes, for Kevin Martin 11 6.21%
Yes, for Iggy 22 12.43%
Yes, for Stephen Jackson 12 6.78%
Yes, for Crash 1 0.56%
Yes, for a backup 4 3 1.69%
Yes, for a backup PG 4 2.26%
Yes, for Lebron 20 11.30%
Yes, for more than one player above 4 2.26%
Yes, for other player(s) 27 15.25%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Agree! Both are guys who haven't been full-time starters but are capable of starting there's a lot of flexibility there. Both have been contributing role players to a contender so I think they'd fit in great. Boobie is 24 and AV is 28 so age-wise, it's a move in right direction as well. Contractually, Varejao is good value and Boobie is bit rich for a 9th-10th man but still good value with Kidd's age and contract status next year.

You pointed out Varejao's strengths pretty well. Don't forget free throws for this season! I like Boobie as well.. he is a better shooter and scorer by far without giving up much as a passer or defender when compared to JJB.

Haywood/Ajinca/JJB matches salary-wise but I suppose that's not nearly enough relief for them.

We would be rocking:

Chandler/Varejao/Mahinimi
Dirk/Cardinal
Butler/Marion/Novak
Stevenson/JET/Dojo
Kidd/Roddy/Booby

Nobody is a defensive slouch and the number of bombers we have is startling (7 guys in our top 10 can be 40% beyond the arc guys) and also the flexibility is great. Almost everybody in the main rotation can play two positions equally well except the starting frontline which doesn't need to flex.

I'm starting to get attached to this...
the question remains: why would Cleveland do this? yes they would save some salary. but even if we threw in a 1st i don't think they'd do it. seems like some other contender would want either a 3pt. bomber that can get hot and really fill it up on a given night; or a versatile, hustling PF-C on a reasonable contract. i could see it if a 3rd team(Houston)gets Haywood and then gives Cleveland some young talent.

i think the importance of having two huge Centers for the playoffs thing is somewhat overstated. much rather have another big with some athleticism and fight. yes Haywood probably matches up better with Bynum, D. Howard etc. but Varejao's other strengths more than make up for the slight size discrepancy.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
the question remains: why would Cleveland do this? yes they would save some salary. but even if we threw in a 1st i don't think they'd do it. seems like some other contender would want either a 3pt. bomber that can get hot and really fill it up on a given night; or a versatile, hustling PF-C on a reasonable contract. i could see it if a 3rd team(Houston)gets Haywood and then gives Cleveland some young talent.

i think the importance of having two huge Centers for the playoffs thing is somewhat overstated. much rather have another big with some athleticism and fight. yes Haywood probably matches up better with Bynum, D. Howard etc. but Varejao's other strengths more than make up for the slight size discrepancy.
Yeah, it is a stretch without getting a third partner unless we start going into DoJo/1st territory. I think potential partners would be Houston, Philly and maybe Detroit. They are all cusp playoff teams who could use a better starting center.

This would be great if we get the buyout on DeShawn as there have been rumors of a Cleveland-Philly deal anyways:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=247t7t9

Minus Haywood, I agree we lose a little something vs. the Lakers, Magic and even Boston but I think Varejao is more dependable and also makes us better against the Spurs and Miami. Ultimately, I'm willing to make the move because in order for our playoffs to be successful, it's going to be on Chandler to be healthy and foul-free to play atleast 32~ minutes and also I think Varejao will be a more flexible piece moving forward. If we can add another veteran center like the trade above, it would mitigate the loss of Haywood somewhat as well.

More realistically, I think the just Boobie deal is more probable. They get a young big prospect and a decent backup PG who can play behind Mo Williams and both have contracts that are expirings while removing up to 9 million off their future cap. Plus, it would cool to call a Mav a boobie.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 12-23-2010 at 05:19 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushbane, i hate dumars, return of the quack!, strike 17 for cadban?, thanks mods! more cadban!