Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default Swimming or what´s your sport?

Just curious. Is anyone else on this board a regular swimmer? I picked it up again two years ago and absolutely love it. I´m going 4-5 times a week for a combined 20-25 km. Really keeps you in shape and I absolutely love to be in the water. It also is soft on the joints which is good for me after 15 years of playing hockey and basketball competitively. So anyone else around?

And if not what sport/workout are you doing on a regular basis?

Last edited by Fidel; 06-11-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I run... play basketball..
my new years resolution was to be able to slam a basketball again... not sure if I want to keep with that or whether I want to do something crazy like a 100 mile run...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I generally run twice a week for just a couple of miles.

I "play basketball" twice a week with a buddyor two. But it's really just shooting hoops. I'm shooting up to 8% now, unguarded (My whiteness is amplified heavily with a basketball in my hands.)

I was playing hockey at this place up in denton, but I stopped since I got married in Feb. I need to get back into that.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I bike to work.

Before I had kids I used to have a regular soccer and basketball game, but I blew out my ankle right before the shift back from grad school to the cruel workplace and my children robbed me of every free second of my life... (yeah! blame it onthe adorable kids!)

The biking to work thing is great, if you can do it. My commute really isn't much longer than it used to be other than the fact that I now take a shower AFTER I get to work. (compared to when I drove to the metro, and then took the metro downtown, then walked a block to my office). This is exercise without using up any free time PLUS i get to wow the chicks with how "green" I am PLUS i save about $200/month
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I bike to work.

Before I had kids I used to have a regular soccer and basketball game, but I blew out my ankle right before the shift back from grad school to the cruel workplace and my children robbed me of every free second of my life... (yeah! blame it onthe adorable kids!)

The biking to work thing is great, if you can do it. My commute really isn't much longer than it used to be other than the fact that I now take a shower AFTER I get to work. (compared to when I drove to the metro, and then took the metro downtown, then walked a block to my office). This is exercise without using up any free time PLUS i get to wow the chicks with how "green" I am PLUS i save about $200/month

watch out for those bad drivers bro.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i workout daily, weights and cardio. Even on weekends...been doing it for 8+ years now...

hoping to keep up my hobby when i have a family...

also my girlfriend works out with weights and cardio too, so we get to do it together..so it's kinda nice..

Last edited by MavsX; 06-11-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

surfing - which often turns out to be like swimming when the waters are dead

it's a workout but also mentally pacifying - being in the ocean, catching waves, out in the sun, fighting sharks.. usually, the highlight of my day.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Surfing is GREAT exercise, for the body and the spirit. The best shape I was ever in was a month I was a surf-bum in a trailer dumped unevenly in the dunes on the beach at the foot of the lighthouse in Hattaras, NC. Only sustenance for a full month was booberry cereal, sardines (someone had left cases and cases of the things in the trailor.. <shrugs>), and milwakee's best... and STILL ended up in great shape.

surfing is great for you, but you need, like, a beach and stuff for it to be any fun. Unfortunately those are lacking here in Washington DC.

as far as the biking is concerned, I'm fortunate. I live acros the Potomac from DC in McLean, VA... I'm about 1 mile from a bike trail that takes me to the lincoln memorial... I can go across the mall to the elipse, which takes me up to the white house, about two blocks from work... I don't have to fight much traffic at all.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Booberry cereal and sardines..... now that's a combination that has you screaming for more! Much like peanut butter and chocolate, no?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

During the summers I play a lot of basketball and swim pretty regularly (though not laps). During the school year I play a lot of intramural sports...somewhere around 12-14 last year. Spring semester I was making it to the gym about 3 times a week to play basketball after I was done with intramurals (since they normally take up 3 days a week).
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I was playing Tennis 4 nights a week but I am now down to 2. Tennis is a blast but it is really bad for joints. My arm is almost always sore because I serve so much with my arm and back. I tried to serve more with my legs but that jump prevents it from being as consistent. If I ever went pro I would blow out my elbow in a years time.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 06-11-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
I was playing Tennis 4 nights a week but I am now down to 2. Tennis is a blast but it is really bad for joints. My arm is almost always sore because I serve so much with my arm and back. I tried to serve more with my legs but that jump prevents it from being as consistent. If I ever went pro I would blow out my elbow in a years time.

go pro? hahaah
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I played tennis competitively for around a decade... never really had any joint issues from it. Dan, maybe you're just a puss.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I challenge anyone here on the ladder in tennis :O

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I still serve over 110MPH... I was MVP for my 3A High School two straight years, (junior and senior). I am still pretty good at 26, (and no MavsX, if I were going to go pro it would have been 10 years ago - no where near good enough for that).

Regarding me being a puss Murph, (and for that matter - alby), I will challenge anyone on this board in a tennis match. Anyone. I will even meet you half way if you are in Dallas, (Hillsboro maybe - I am in Temple). I have gained a bit of weight with marriage, but even at 6'3'' 225 I will still run your ass all around the court.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the extra kick in the ass. I just did 3 miles running (I know, that's nothing, but it's a lot for me)
Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I still serve over 110MPH... I was MVP for my 3A High School two straight years, (junior and senior). I am still pretty good at 26, (and no MavsX, if I were going to go pro it would have been 10 years ago - no where near good enough for that).

Regarding me being a puss Murph, (and for that matter - alby), I will challenge anyone on this board in a tennis match. Anyone. I will even meet you half way if you are in Dallas, (Hillsboro maybe - I am in Temple). I have gained a bit of weight with marriage, but even at 6'3'' 225 I will still run your ass all around the court.
Did you try to play in college? What HS did you play for?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I sent you a PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably going to regret admitting this, but oh well.

I play (or used to at least) competitive table tennis. There are several local clubs in the area where pretty high level table tennis is played. I don't play at a super high level, but I could mop the floor with anyone you know, I'd bet.

It's a decent workout if you play hard and move a lot, like I do, but I have a bad ankle and it's real hard on the ankles, as it's pretty much one real hard push off your ankle after another, and very little vertical running, which gives the ankle a break.

I still run down to my local club every once in a blue moon, but I rarely have the time for it anymore.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
mcsluggo
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Booberry cereal and sardines..... now that's a combination that has you screaming for more! Much like peanut butter and chocolate, no?
its true! And the booberry with no milk. I tried putting the MB on it, but surprisingly that didn't turn out as delicious as expected.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

If I ever eat cereal I always go sans milk. You should never mess up that great liquid with a grainy substance. (and yes I understand that's an opinion that will be shared by probably no one). Not sure what MB is though....
Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:

I guess i thought you were kidding. I never got in to tennis, and don't even know the rules. Looks like you are a beast on the court. props to you my friend.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I'm probably going to regret admitting this, but oh well.

I play (or used to at least) competitive table tennis. There are several local clubs in the area where pretty high level table tennis is played. I don't play at a super high level, but I could mop the floor with anyone you know, I'd bet.

It's a decent workout if you play hard and move a lot, like I do, but I have a bad ankle and it's real hard on the ankles, as it's pretty much one real hard push off your ankle after another, and very little vertical running, which gives the ankle a break.

I still run down to my local club every once in a blue moon, but I rarely have the time for it anymore.
So do you get mad when people call it ping pong?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So do you get mad when people call it ping pong?
No, because most of the time what people see and play IS ping pong, as in the recreational game. Not table tennis, the sport.

What can be annoying is when people completely discount table tennis because they've never actually seen it. I get a lot of smirks from new friends when they find out that I play and spend money on nice equipment, etc.

Most of the time it's good natured ribbing though, which is fine. I admit, it's a dorky sport.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
No, because most of the time what people see and play IS ping pong, as in the recreational game. Not table tennis, the sport.

What can be annoying is when people completely discount table tennis because they've never actually seen it. I get a lot of smirks from new friends when they find out that I play and spend money on nice equipment, etc.

Most of the time it's good natured ribbing though, which is fine. I admit, it's a dorky sport.
Hey, anything that is an olympic sport is not dorky. Then again, (and this is true) "tug of war" used to be an olympic sport.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
mcsluggo
Golden Member

can there be anything more basic an primevil/manly than the basic game oftug of war? ( I gues a straight, bar knuckled brawl...)

jthig, I taught for a semester in Beijing a few years back, and outside my room at the "frendship house" (the well bugged place where they stored all of the foreigners, whether faculty or not) was a field of stone table-tennis tables, as well as some baskeball courts, and soccer fields etc... the tables were packed ALWAYS, with spectators and all. In the snow, in the early morning, whatever.

they took it VERY seriously.

Last edited by mcsluggo; 06-12-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
can there be anything more basic an primevil/manly than the basic game oftug of war? ( I gues a straight, bar knuckled brawl...)

jthig, I taught for a semester in Beijing a few years back, and outside my room at the "frendship house" (the well bugged place where they stored all of the foreigners, whether faculty or not) was a field of stone table-tennis tables, as well as some baskeball courts, and soccer fields etc... the tables were packed ALWAYS, with spectators and all. In the snow, in the early morning, whatever.

they took it VERY seriously.
Yup, table tennis is the biggest sport in China. It's actually pretty big in most of the rest of the world, just not here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Hey, anything that is an olympic sport is not dorky. Then again, (and this is true) "tug of war" used to be an olympic sport.
I used to use that too, but then ballroom dancing came into the equation.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #29
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hey, anything that is an olympic sport is not dorky.
Curling is an Olympic sport too...
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #30
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:

when forrest gump is playing ping pong, is that table tennis or ping pong?

i guess he was pretty damn good thought?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I was also pretty good with ping pong, (notice I am not good enough to refer to it as table tennis). We played in college at the rec center and there were only two guys that could beat me regularly. Everyone else I either beat regularly or went back and forth with. It was to the level where we stood about 3 foot back once we got going and really came with a good bit of force with each shot. The serve was also a huge weapon for us and not just the dink back that many do. We definitely didn't play like the guys on TV where you are like 10 feet back and stuff, (why don't they put down a drop shot when that far away???), but I thought we were pretty good. I was even buying the special spin paddles where the rubber is smooth on the outside rather than dotted. Eh well, I haven't played serious in over 5 years.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
when forrest gump is playing ping pong, is that table tennis or ping pong?

i guess he was pretty damn good thought?
That sir, is table tennis. I love that scene.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #33
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

If scrabble and the spelling bee can be on ESPN then I can claim chess as a sport. I play chess (stopped competitive for awhile until I finish graduate school) and basketball twice a week.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I was also pretty good with ping pong, (notice I am not good enough to refer to it as table tennis). We played in college at the rec center and there were only two guys that could beat me regularly. Everyone else I either beat regularly or went back and forth with. It was to the level where we stood about 3 foot back once we got going and really came with a good bit of force with each shot. The serve was also a huge weapon for us and not just the dink back that many do. We definitely didn't play like the guys on TV where you are like 10 feet back and stuff, (why don't they put down a drop shot when that far away???), but I thought we were pretty good. I was even buying the special spin paddles where the rubber is smooth on the outside rather than dotted. Eh well, I haven't played serious in over 5 years.
Just in case you wanted an answer to this question, it's because with the sheer amount of spin (topspin, when they're in those smashing rallies), it's simply impossible to drop anything close to the net. You MIGHT be able to cut it back, if you're an amazing defender, but the sheer emount of spin makes it impossible to drop it short.

Even on basic shots those guys do, if you just held a paddle out and let it hit it, you'd be amazed at what the ball did after spinning off the surface.

Ok, that was certainly more info than anyone wanted. This is making me want to order some new rubber sheets, slap them on my blade and get down to the club!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well you can definitely cut it back in real tennis so I assume you could with table tennis, but then again, that ball is coming back much faster. By the way, if you have never played tennis, let a guy hit a slice to you and just hold your racket out. Trust me, I would believe what would happen. I use that to my advantage regularly.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I love how this thread has turned into a "has-been" rally... All we need is Uncle Rico to come in and throw a ball over dem mountains!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well you can definitely cut it back in real tennis so I assume you could with table tennis, but then again, that ball is coming back much faster. By the way, if you have never played tennis, let a guy hit a slice to you and just hold your racket out. Trust me, I would believe what would happen. I use that to my advantage regularly.
You can definitely cut it back, as I said, but the sheer lack of space on a table tennis table, combined with the speed and spin of the shot, makes dropping in returns to topspins pretty much impossible. It's always going to come off the end of the table, in which case the player will generally have enough time to get to it, and at that point you've pretty much given him control of the point by chopping back.

Yeah, I'm never played any kind of decent tennis. I guess the same factors are probably at play. I wasn't fast enough to play tennis.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 06-12-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #38
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Speed is really only important if you are a slicer or don't take the point over. I have a good bit of power and my serve is basically won every time if I get it in consistently, (which means I DONT win every time on serve ). When I am returning I am really aggressive and try not to let my opponent have a great shot after the return. I make a lot of unforced errors this way, but I also win a lot of points. With shots that don't win me points but are in play, I can then take control of the point. Tennis really is fun and more people should play.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #39
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Geeks thread...........ping pong? tennis? darts? horseshoes? marbles? chess? washers?

I'd give a bunch of "has been stuff", but why, I wasn't world class, and time doesn't stand still.

Today I play a little softball - not much competitive stuff anymore -- and I coach. Mainly fastpitch for my older girls. I was coaching basketball for 12U as well, but I retired this year (at least tentatively). Can't seem to get the love of playing softball/baseball out of my system though.

I always heard, if you can't play -- teach........ but dang how the time passes.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #40
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I try and play basketball as much as I can, but since I've moved, I haven't found anyone to play with. I need friends

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote