Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-28-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

take a peep
Quote:
Posted on Wed, Oct. 27, 2004
MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Day in camp

The Mavericks weren't playing with a full deck Tuesday night.

"We still have three, four, five guys who are going to be in the starting rotation," fill-in coach Avery Johnson said before San Antonio edged the Mavs 98-94 at American Airlines Center.

The Mavs were down to 10 players, three who likely won't make the team. The shortfall was especially evident in the backcourt, as Devin Harris and Josh Howard each played at least 40 minutes, and combined for 29 points.

Johnson praised the team's effort and took responsibility for a couple of botched side-out plays in the final minute. He added that several role players were fighting fatigue in the second half.

New wrinkle

The Mavs are offering a 25th anniversary ticket promotion for the first three home games of the season, Tuesday against Sacramento, Nov. 6 vs. Memphis and Nov. 8 vs. Golden State (Rolando Blackman bobblehead night). Fans can purchase the $25 tickets (normally priced $39) online at mavs.com or by calling (214) 747-6287.

Injury report

The Mavs were without Marquis Daniels (sprained left ankle), Jason Terry (dental procedure), Jerry Stackhouse (right thigh contusion) and Michael Finley (sore right hamstring) Tuesday night. Free-agent hopeful Derek Hood was lost a minute into the game with a right groin sprain. Terry had his wisdom teeth pulled Tuesday and could be out for Thursday's preseason finale.

Mavs preseason schedule

Date Opponent Result
Oct. 13 at New Orleans L 94-87
Oct. 17 at Orlando L 114-93
Oct. 19 vs. Milwaukee L 107-105
Oct. 21 vs. New York W 112-74
Oct. 23 at Milwaukee W 91-89
Oct. 24 at New York L 102-86
Oct. 26 vs. San Antonio L 94-98
Date Opponent Time
Thu. vs. Sacramento 7:30 p.m.

Regular-season opener: Tuesday vs. Sacramento, 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at www.mavs.com, at any Ticketmaster outlet or by calling (214) 747-6287.

-- Art Garcia

NBA COUNTDOWN

The Star-Telegram counts down to the tipoff of the NBA season by ranking all 30 teams. The No. 1 team will be revealed on opening night, Nov. 2.

NO. 7: NUGGETS

Coach: Jeff Bzdelik

Conference: Western

Division: Northwest

Last year: 43-39

All net: The off-season acquisition of former Nets All-Star forward Kenyon Martin immediately put the Nuggets in some rarefied air. Packaged with Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby, Andre Miller, Voshon Lenard, Earl Boykins and Nene, the Nuggets ought to secure at least the No. 4 spot in the West this season.

Clank: With Kenyon Martin on board, the Nuggets must find enough minutes to keep his backup, Nene, happy. The pressure is on coach Jeff Bzdelik to get this team out of the first round of the playoffs. The Nuggets are believing the (media) hype, and it's up to Bzdelik to help them reach their full potential.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

Injuries hinder player rotation

By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - No one has to tell Mavericks coach Don Nelson about his team's dire straits. He's well aware of the details.

So when Nelson was asked about the many injuries that have prevented him from using his regular rotation during the first seven preseason games, he was direct.

"I am very concerned," Nelson said. "We have had such a lack of playing time together, and that's all I wanted to do [in the preseason].

"I wanted to get a nine- or 10-man rotation down, and that's all I was going to play the whole preseason. And I haven't been able to do that one game."

Nelson won't be able to use his rotation tonight, either, when the Mavs (2-5) conclude their preseason schedule with a 7:30 tipoff against the Sacramento Kings at American Airlines Center. Marquis Daniels (sprained left ankle), Jerry Stackhouse (right thigh contusion) and Jason Terry (wisdom tooth) won't play tonight, and Michael Finley (sore right hamstring) is questionable.

That represents 40 percent of Nelson's 10-man rotation.

Stackhouse said he will miss at least the first two games of the regular season -- Tuesday against the Kings and Wednesday at New Orleans. He added that he won't play before he is examined late next week, meaning he could also miss the Nov. 6 home game against Memphis.

"I've just got to be smart, because you start to smell the gym and you start wanting to do a little more than you necessarily really need to do right now," Stackhouse said. "But I'm going to be cautious with it, because I don't want it to be something dragging on for the whole season.

"I'd rather go get it taken care of, let it heal up -- whatever time that is. It's still early in the season, and we're still putting it together anyway."

Nelson, who, like assistant coach Del Harris, returned to practice Wednesday after missing Tuesday's 98-94 preseason loss to the San Antonio Spurs with the flu, is doing everything he can to prepare his team for Tuesday's regular-season opener.

"I don't know who is going to be able to play opening night at this point," Nelson said. "[Daniels] did do a little running with the trainer on his own, which is encouraging, but that's a long distance between there and being able to play basketball.

"It's hard to tell where the team is because we haven't played together. It's really too bad. I hope in those four days before we open [the season] that we'll be able to practice together as a unit."

With five of their first eight games on the road, many in the Mavs' organization have accepted that the team might start slowly, especially with the injuries piling up almost by the day, and some players not knowing their roles.

"It's going to be a difficult start of the season for us," forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "For us, it's going to be important to be a good team and be healthy when it comes to the stretch in March, April and May.

"The good teams get better from game to game, and as the season progresses they get even better. And they're at the peak when it comes to the playoffs. That's what we've got to shoot for."

Especially during these dire times.

Day in camp

Coach Don Nelson returned to practice Wednesday after missing Tuesday's preseason game against San Antonio because of the flu.

Assistant coach Del Harris, who is also battling the flu and missed the game against the Spurs, attended Wednesday's practice. In addition, swingman Jerry Stackhouse went through some drills, but he was limited.

Stackhouse, who has a right thigh contusion, can't make any lateral movements without feeling pain. He suffered the injury during the Oct. 17 preseason game against the Orlando Magic.

"The only thing I remember is I was going in for a layup and, of all people, Grant Hill jumped into my leg," Stackhouse said, referring to his former Detroit Pistons teammate.

"I don't know if it was something that happened while I was planting and going up for the layup, or if it happened because he came into my leg.

"[Hill] definitely came into it. I think it was probably a combination of both. But of all people ..."

Point guard Jason Terry missed practice after having a wisdom tooth extracted. Meanwhile, guard Marquis Daniels, who has yet to play in any preseason games because of a sprained left ankle, still doesn't know when he'll be able to practice or play.

Also, forward Michael Finley is listed as questionable for tonight's 7:30 preseason game at American Airlines Center against the Sacramento Kings because of a sore right hamstring.

Barkley lauds rookie

In his preseason picks, Charles Barkley, a studio analyst for TNT, said Mavs point guard Devin Harris will win the Rookie of the Year award.

Told of Barkley's prediction, Harris paused and said: "Wow! That's an accomplishment, but that's not something that I'm worried about right now."

Harris, who was 5-of-19 from the field in 40 minutes in Tuesday's 98-94 loss to San Antonio, said coach Don Nelson has been critical of him.

"Nellie got on me a lot in practice [Wednesday], so I'm looking forward to not getting yelled at [tonight]," Harris said. "So I've got a lot of things I need to work on, and I'm just trying to get better each day."

Africa All-Stars touring

The Basketball Without Borders Africa All-Stars will play six games in the Fort Worth/Dallas area as part of their tour through Texas.

The team, which consists of 15 players from nine African countries, highlights its trip with a Nov. 6 game against TCU and a Nov. 7 game against SMU.

The Mavericks have arranged a full schedule of activities for the team, including a presentation at halftime of tonight's game against the Sacramento Kings, which will be televised on HDNet.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

Quote:
In his preseason picks, Charles Barkley, a studio analyst for TNT, said Mavs point guard Devin Harris will win the Rookie of the Year award.

Told of Barkley's prediction, Harris paused and said: "Wow! That's an accomplishment, but that's not something that I'm worried about right now."
one of these people I have respect for...the other is Charles Barkley...

If Devin sees the minutes necessary, he will be in serious contention for the prize....he is both a balla and shot calla for rizzle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

sike... your posting privileges have been revoked until further notice.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

Default RE:MAVERICKS CAMP REPORT

Quote:
Originally posted by: seal614
sike... your posting privileges have been revoked until further notice.
nice. Some people just can't respect a thug [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ...
Quote:
"I am very concerned," Nelson said. "We have had such a lack of playing time together, and that's all I wanted to do [in the preseason].
you should be concerned fat man...