Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-07-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Kerry Cosponsored Bill Banning Gun He Waves at Rally

Quote:
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE SEPT 07, 2004 11:46:05 ET XXXXX

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES

Was Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law?

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the "pistol grip," as loosely defined in the bill. [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii) and (b)(42): "The term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."]

Kerry was presented with the semiautomatic shotgun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.

"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

But Kerry's gun bill would have also banned any "gift" transaction!

[It is not clear if Kerry completed the required paperwork (Form 4473) before he claimed the gun.]

Developing...
This is one of those little, stupid things that happen when you are losing. I remember stuff like this happening to the Dole campaign every day. Little things that shouldn't mean much, but just irritate you when they happen.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Kerry Cosponsored Bill Banning Gun He Waves at Rally

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby

Quote:
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE SEPT 07, 2004 11:46:05 ET XXXXX

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES

Was Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law?

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the "pistol grip," as loosely defined in the bill. [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii) and (b)(42): "The term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."]

Kerry was presented with the semiautomatic shotgun during a Labor Day stop in Racine, West Virginia.

"I thank you for the gift, but I can't take it to the debate with me," Kerry told a cheering crowd as he held up the device.

But Kerry's gun bill would have also banned any "gift" transaction!

[It is not clear if Kerry completed the required paperwork (Form 4473) before he claimed the gun.]

Developing...
This is one of those little, stupid things that happen when you are losing. I remember stuff like this happening to the Dole campaign every day. Little things that shouldn't mean much, but just irritate you when they happen.
I'm not a hunter nor a gun authority, but isn't that a stock grip, not a pistol grip, on that shotgun?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Nor am I, but the definition of "pistol grip" in the legislation was written broad enough to include the pictured gun.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kerry Cosponsored Bill Banning Gun He Waves at Rally

I've read a bit on this today, Yup it's one of the ones he tried to ban. This is probably not what he wanted to hear when he thought he would get good mileage by holding a gun.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

As I said, I don't hunt or own guns, but this sure is fishy.
Looks like it would only apply if it was altered, as it doen't have a "detachable magazine". It also wouldn't apply if it is a pump, which seems to be what he is holding.

A summary of the bill:

SUMMARY AS OF:
7/17/2003--Introduced.

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 - Amends Federal firearms provisions to revise the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" to include conversion kits (for converting a firearm to a semiautomatic assault weapon) and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and that has any one of the following characteristics, respectively: (1) a folding or telescoping stock, a threaded barrel, a pistol grip, a forward grip, or a barrel shroud; or (2) a second pistol grip, a threaded barrel, a barrel shroud, or the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

Amends the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act to repeal the sunset provision for the assault weapons ban. Modifies exemptions from the ban to: (1) retain the exemption of any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, level, or slide action, that has been rendered permanently inoperable, or that is an antique firearm; and (2) remove the exemption of specified firearms, or replicas or duplicates, as manufactured on October 1, 1993, any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds, and any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds in a fixed or detachable magazine.

Prohibits the transfer of a semiautomatic assault weapon except through a licensed dealer or a State or local law enforcement agency, subject to specified requirements. Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any semiautomatic assault weapon which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime, and of the nature and circumstances of the crime involved; and (2) annually submit the record to Congress and make the record available to the public.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of any assault weapon with an large capacity ammunition feeding device; and (2) a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer who transfers such a a device that was manufactured on or before September 13, 1994, from failing to certify to the Attorney General, within 60 days of the transfer date, that the device was manufactured on or before that date. Sets penalties for violations.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of a semiautomatic assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device to a juvenile; and (2) the importation of such a device

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@L&summ2=m&
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Kerry is holding a semi-automatic shotgun and not a pump shot gun.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

beldar

Kerry goes for fourth Purple Heart

Adm. Bill Schachte, as interviewed by NBC's Lisa Myers, on the events on 02Dec68 that led to Kerry's first Purple Heart (boldface mine throughout):

Quote:
My [M-60 machine] gun jammed after the first burst and as I was trying to clear my weapon — John's [M-16 rifle] apparently jammed too because he wouldn't fire anymore — I heard the old familiar, "thump" — "POW!." And I looked, and John had fired the M-79 grenade launcher.

We were receiving NO fire from the beach. There were no muzzle flashes. The water wasn't boiling around the boat as it were — and the only noise was the noise we were making. So, I told the boat operator — the motor operator — to, you know, "let's leave the area." And we did, went back to port, eventually — went back to the swift boat and went back to port. And that morning, I went in and debriefed my commanding officer — our division commander, then Lieutenant Commander [Grant] "Skip" Hibbard.

And I told him what happened. And I told him I was NOT going to be filing an after-action report, which is required if you have enemy action, because we had no enemy action. And I also after giving him all the details and I said, "Oh, by the way —" and I don't remember my exact words — "John nicked himself with the M-79." Those M-79s, by the way, have a kill radius of about five meters. A little over five yards. But, there is a shrapnel area beyond that. And that's what happened. And I was upset because that could have gone in somebody's eye and so on and so forth.
Some people never learn. Here's Sen. John Forbes Kerry, Democratic nominee for President, while trap shooting in Edinburgh, Ohio, on September 4, 2004, to impress the gathered reporters and photographers with his manliness:

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it matters, but this was already posted Here!