Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #481
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm arguing your point of: "you only need your 5th starter once every few weeks"

Koronka is clearly not the #5 man.

And yes, they do have 5 off days in July..but that's because of the All-Star break..so three of the days are in a row. The fifth starter will make a minimum of 3 starts in July, so that's not exactly 'once every few weeks'.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-04-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #482
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

We sure are jumping on those Os early tonight... Just batted around in the 2nd and it is now 4-0...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #483
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

mench just can't be stopped right now. i hope the rangers save some for those hated yankees this weekend.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #484
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Millwood = 4-hit complete game. He saves the bullpen, which could use the rest. What a performance.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #485
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

ditto on the performance. i'm glad to finally see one of our starting pitchers make it all the way. bring on them spankees...

Old 05-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #486
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

uh, i know he's only played a few games but Mark Derosa? 1500 OPS or some such and 500 BA? the kid is on fire and hope he keeps it up... don't know much about him. i'm sure he's going to cool off at some point but how does he compare with Ian Kinsler in terms of prospects? thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #487
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

DeRosa had a great quote recently about watching Young and trying to mimick some of his work ethic. Hard not to root for a guy like that.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #488
Drbio
Banned

BTW...wasn't there some Millwood hatas earlier? I told you he would be fine.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #489
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yup... I just needed to see him work his way out of it... I am glad he has proven me wrong. With that said, the season is still very young. RA Dickey looked as good as Millwood has so far a couple of years ago... Hell, so did Pavlik many years ago... He will likely keep it up and make me really happy about the signing, but he sure did suck early on.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #490
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why were you doubting so much afer two starts?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #491
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Yup... I just needed to see him work his way out of it... I am glad he has proven me wrong. With that said, the season is still very young. RA Dickey looked as good as Millwood has so far a couple of years ago... Hell, so did Pavlik many years ago... He will likely keep it up and make me really happy about the signing, but he sure did suck early on.
Dickey and Pavlik had never been an ERA champion coming in. I see that as a poor comparison.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #492
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah....a very poor comparison.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #493
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Maybe it was a poor comparison, but the point is that he sucked ass early and I said as much... Can you fault me for calling a spade a spade?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #494
Drbio
Banned

He did fail to perform early, but as was predicted....he's an Ace.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-05-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #495
Murphy3
Guru

Saying that he performed poorly early is one thing..but then doubting that he'd pull out of it when his starts came up is another.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:45 AM   #496
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Saying that he performed poorly early is one thing..but then doubting that he'd pull out of it when his starts came up is another.
I don't see the issue with it. He pitched twice and was shit both times. You think it is crazy to expect him to pitch ONE good game before I should expect it? Well, I respectfully disagree! All sports are "what have you done for me lately"... Not "what did you do for that one team a year ago"! He bounced back and has pitched great since and I have said as much.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #497
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Pavlik. Wow that is a blast from the past. Can anyone believe he actually made an all star team? Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Derosa is not a prospect btw but he is a solid utility guy.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #498
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Pavlik never looked this good. The year that he had 11 or so wins going in the all star game, he also had an ERA hovering around 6.00. Even then everyone knew he was a bum... a bum that got great run support.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #499
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Pavlik never looked this good. The year that he had 11 or so wins going in the all star game, he also had an ERA hovering around 6.00. Even then everyone knew he was a bum... a bum that got great run support.
Right you are... Like I said, it might have been a bad comparison, but I was just trying to make a point. The bottom line is that Millwood has definitely pitched like an ace and I am very glad he has.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #500
jly
Dirk for MVP

wow, roger pavlik. haven't heard that name in ages. wonder what he is up to these days....

Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #501
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Yankees sweep, but the Rangers still have a 1/2 game lead, pretty fortunate.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #502
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
wow, roger pavlik. haven't heard that name in ages. wonder what he is up to these days....
Probably an era of about 31.89.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #503
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I went to the game Friday night and realized why I hate Yankee fans. Cause they are f'in a'holes.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #504
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You hate Yankee fans because they are Yankee fans. Do you really need another reason??
Old 05-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #505
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

koronka with another W, Rangers take a massive 1 game lead.
GMJ and Blalock are tearing it up.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #506
Murphy3
Guru

I just pretty much hate anything north of the mason-dixon line.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #507
Five-ofan
Guru

I know its really early but John Koronka=all star??
Old 05-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #508
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

All Ranger starters for All Star!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #509
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I know its really early but John Koronka=all star??
And ROY.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #510
jly
Dirk for MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
And ROY.
is koronka a rookie? i thought he pitched in the big leagues for the cubs before we traded for him?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #511
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Whoa, I just switched over to Rangers/Twins waiting for the Mavs to start. What happened? We're only in the 2nd, it's already 9-0 Minne & Millwood's been knocked out already? That's not cool.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #512
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Whoa, I just switched over to Rangers/Twins waiting for the Mavs to start. What happened? We're only in the 2nd, it's already 9-0 Minne & Millwood's been knocked out already? That's not cool.
That sucks, Millwood giving up 9 in 2 innings. Here's hoping the Mavs do better tonight.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #513
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
is koronka a rookie? i thought he pitched in the big leagues for the cubs before we traded for him?
Only pitched 16.2 innings. He should still qualify as a rookie.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #514
jly
Dirk for MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Only pitched 16.2 innings. He should still qualify as a rookie.
cool, thanks for the info. there's still time for the rangers to come back...

Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #515
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sportscenter just said Millwood got beat like a tied up goat!

All I could do was think about Adam Sandler's character getting beat by the old man!

Funny stuff!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-10-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #516
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

In goat voice,

"the old man ysed to be me with a stick, an old hickory stick. F$%^ man, he used to go to town on me.

Hey goat, go out for a pass.

"thud ump thud ump thud ump,shhhhhhhwack"
sh!t man you really wized that thing, f'in staubach."

Ah yes, the goat.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #517
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

In the spirit of the goat, (if a mod wants to remove the wording due to excessive cursing, feel free to do so and just leave the link):

The Goat!

The Goat Lyrics

ADAM: I am a simple goat.
I live on the back of a pick-up truck.
The Old Man tied me here with a 3 ft. rope.
Am I happy?
He don't give a fuck.
OLD MAN: Hey goat!
I'm gonna beat your head in with the hickory stick!
ADAM: Sometimes he uses his fists-a.
He's filled with anger and filled with rage,
and tells me I smell like piss-a.
His drink, Jimmy Beam.
His chaser, a beer.
After that, various alchohols.
That's when the beatings get so severe,
I sleep,
I pray he falls.
But don't feel sorry for me.
Things weren't always this bad.
Why when I was a young talking goat,
the Old Man was just like my dad.

I come from the hills of Europe.
That's where I met the Old Man.
He was lost in the woods,
I gave him directions,
He gave me a tuna can.
Then he stopped in his tracks and he said,
OLD MAN: Hey goat!
ADAM: Would you like to live with me?
I got a house with a pick-up truck
in a place across D.C.-a.
I said, "sure why not? I got no family. You seem like a nice guy."
So we went off to America,
the home of apple pie.

On the boat the Old Man told me,
I would be a present for his wife.
"A talking goat," he exclaimed,
"She's never seen this in her life!"
I felt so special.
Well, I just couldn't believe it,
after all these years,
I finally had a friend.
He trimmed my beard,
he scraped my hooves,
I prayed it would never end.

But when we got to his house,
there was no wife.
Only a short, short letter.
It said : I'm leaving you for your brother
because he fucks me better.
His eyes filled with tears of sadness.
His heart was filled with grief.
To suit himself he drank a pint of Old Grandad,
and beat me like a side of beef.
I screamed, "send me back to the hills of Europe!"
He just shook his head and said,
OLD MAN: Nope!
ADAM: No one will ever leave me again,
to make sure,
put on the 3 ft. fucking rope-a.
Present-day I've been on the truck for 51 years.
My only friend is the A.M. radio.
Sometimes the neighborhood children stop by,
but it's always rocks and beer bottles that they throw.
At first they're excited to see a talking goat,
they gather 'round to hear what I have to say.
But I guess sometimes my stories go on too long,
so they leave and giggle,
I need a bidet.
But you know there was a night
that I did get off the truck,
when the Old Man was passed out drunk.
Three neighborhood kids took me to a rock and roll concert.
The kind of music?
Old school funk.

It was the first time I'd been off the truck,
the music made me lose control.
The lead singer asked if we were having fun,
I said, "fucking crank that rock and roll-a!"
The women at the show were beautiful,
as they danced sexily on the soft grass.
One of them even petted my fur.
Fuck me in the goat ass!
Then some long-haired guys grabbed me by the horns
and threw me in the mosh pit-a.
They passed me around and treated me nice
til I nervously sprayed them with shit-a.
Then the music stopped.
And everything was quiet.
And all the rock and rollers started a
fucking goat riot.
ROCK AND ROLLERS: Kill the goat!
Kill the goat!
Kill the goat!
Kill the goat!
ADAM: They chased me under the bleachers.
They chased me onto the street-a.
They chased me into an alley and said I was dead fucking goat meat-a.
But then I saw a sight,
that I'd never thought I'd see.
The Old Man swinging his hickory stick,
but he wasn't swinging at me.
OLD MAN: Fuck you pot smoking turkeys!
Don't you press your luck!
ADAM: The long-hairs ran away screaming
as I scrambled onto the truck-a.
When we got home the Old Man said, "goat you broke the sacred law."
ADAM: No!
Please!
Sorry!
Shit!
"I'll let it go this time,
but if you leave again,
I'll break your fucking jaw."
Super!
Great!
Okay!
Thank you Old Man for saving my life.
Thank you again and again.
You could have let them barbeque me,
but you acted like a friend.
"I'm not your friend.
I don't even like you.
I'm just not drunk," he said.
To prove his point,
he drank a bottle of grain alchohol,
and beat the fucking shit out of my head.
Ow! Ow! Ow! You're hurting me Old Man.

That night I suffered a concussion,
Deep inside my goat brain.
I still cannot feel my tailbone.
And I'll probably will never walk straight again.
I guess you'd call me,
escape goat.
A punching bag for the Old Man to mock.
Just because his wife left him,
for his brother's abnormaly large cock.
He could've been my buddy.
But instead he's a crazy old fuck.
And once again I go to sleep,
in my eternal home.......
the back of the pick-up truck.
Good night Old Man!
OLD MAN: Yeah, good night goat!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #518
Short Bus Bob

Short Bus Bob is on a distinguished road

Do you love that goat Male23Dan? It sounds like it.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #519
Drbio
Banned

Rangers win again.....6-0 over Boston!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #520
jly
Dirk for MVP

we didn't play 9, but a win's a win, hehe

with the stuff loe was throwing, maybe he should pitch in rain more often

Closed Thread