Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future
Default Bill Simmons Chat

...turned interesting:

It's on right now:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...2-bill-simmons

Quote:
Look into your crystal ball and sort out where the big free agents are going this summer!
Bill Simmons
(12:08 PM)

If I had to guess at gunpoint: LeBron and Bosh (Chicago); Wade and Amare (Miami); David Lee, Joe Johnson (New York); Rudy Gay (Clippers).
Bill Simmons
(12:10 PM)

Forgot about Boozer: We'll give him to Dallas in a sign and trade for Dampier's contract that can be waived and other goodies.

Tiller's Ulcer (Dallas)

In Dallas, there are local reporters who claim that Cuban/Donnie purposely structured Dampier's contract to use for this Summer (believable). What my friends and I debate though, is there any shot of the big 4 FA's just DEMANDING to play in Dallas w/ Kidd and Dirk, and the Mavs using Damp and Caron as sign and trade? As in, can a 3 year run in Dallas be appealing enough for those guys?
Bill Simmons
(12:22 PM)

Dallas is the sleeping giant this summer. Big city, Cuban, no state tax, Damp's contract for sign and trade purposes (for instance, if LeBron decided, I AM PLAYING IN DALLAS, Dallas could offer Damp's contract, Butler, $3 million and the French rookie.
Bill Simmons
(12:24 PM)

One other LeBron/Dallas wrinkle: They could play 6-8 regular season games and a couple of playoff games in the football stadium. Cuban mentioned this 2 days after the All Star Game... didnt mention LeBron specifically, just something about 'enticing free agents' that way. Hmmmmm.

Jeff (Philly)

Why isn't the no state tax brought up more often. Do NBA players have to pay taxes in every state they play in prorated, or does Miami, Houston and Dallas have an after tax salary cap extension?
Bill Simmons
(12:27 PM)

It's a great question. For instance, let's say Dallas and Cleve did that sign and trade that I just mentioned. LeBron could make 6 years at the max... only he'd be making it in Texas. That's his biggest money bonanza by far. And Dallas is the only team that has real sign and trade assets. The ability to waive Dampier's contract before the start of the season is a major major asset.

Mike (San Diego)

You realize that Cavs fans saw your idea of what they'd get back for LeBron and threw up in their mouth a little, right? I'd call that a big pot of poop gumbo!
Bill Simmons
(12:31 PM)

But if LeBron says, "Look, I am going to Dallas and that's how this is going to play out," what can Cleveland do? Everyone keeps forgetting that LeBron will decide where he plays this summer - cap space doesn't matter. if he wants to play in Boston, then it will be Boston. Dallas, it's Dallas. Lakers, it's the Lakers. Doesn't matter. He is holding the cards.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jeff (Kansas City, KS)

What would you put as the odds of each team (with enough cap space) to get Lebron?
Bill Simmons
(12:35 PM)

Ok... Cavs (5-2)... Bulls (5-2)... Knicks (7-2)... Mavs (5-1)... Clips (10-1)... Nets (12-1)... Rockets (25-1)... Lakers (25-1)... Celtics (100-1).
he gives us a 20% shot at lebron - pretty sure that adds up to more than 100%, though.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
mavErika
Golden Member

Quote:
Drew (Wichita, KS)

What did you think of Wojokasldf;dhgf;adl column about LeBron, Wade, and Bosh coming together in NYC?
Bill Simmons
(12:17 PM)

He ignored 2 big points. First, you can't have LeBron and Wade on the same team - it would be like the 2010 All Star Game all over again. No team has ever won a title that didn't know who The Man was on the team. it wouldn't work. I don't think Wade would take a back seat and neither would LeBron obviously. More importantly, to expect these guys to give up that much money to play together is just not realistic. Athletes don't leave that kind of money on the table.
Bill Simmons
(12:18 PM)

The only scenario in which the Knicks (or anyone) could get 3 guys is if it were 3 Nike guys. For instance, Bosh-LeBron-Joe Johnson could work - they'd take less money but Nike could agree to build a $100 million compaign around "The New Big Three" and make up the difference that way. Yes, that would be legal.
argh-.,-.,
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
mavErika
Golden Member

Quote:
Richard Brown (lawrence, ks)

How many more teams will Drew Gooden play for before his career is over?
Bill Simmons
(12:51 PM)

He's already at nine! That's the underrated stat of 2010. And if the Clips buy him out, it could be 10 by the spring. And he's only 28. He's the new go-to guy for the "gets passed around like a bong" joke.
hehe, but they won't buy him out
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
mavErika
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
he gives us a 20% shot at lebron - pretty sure that adds up to more than 100%, though.
153%, if my brain hasn't suffered too much from reading that chat
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It would be so cheesy if he went to Chicago. Lame...

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

bill simmons might be an idiot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

So we are signing LeBron then.......... right?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
153%, if my brain hasn't suffered too much from reading that chat
121%
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

69%

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
That was the number the Magic were stuck on when the Mavs went on that 19-0 run.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Call me crazy, but I think I the DUST chip is more likely to be used on a BIG name player (like Wade or Bron) than a smaller guy. The one key is that this player has to be ready to leave his city.

So pray for a first round upset of Cleveland and that Miami misses the playoffs.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
That was the number the Magic were stuck on when the Mavs went on that 19-0 run.
0. That was the number that the Hawks were stuck on when the Mavs went on that 57-0 run.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

LeBron is a pipe dream. But I do think we've got a fairly good chance of landing Wade. (And by fairly good, I mean like 15-20%)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
LeBron is a pipe dream. But I do think we've got a fairly good chance of landing Wade. (And by fairly good, I mean like 15-20%)
Why are people writing off LeBron so quickly? Any good reason, or is it because it seems too good to be true? I'm very curious to see if I'm missing something here.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Ewww, f*ck Wade.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Ewww, f*ck Wade.
I don't like him either, but you better believe I would take him in a f*cking heartbeat given the chance. The dude is flat-out one of the best players in the league.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Why are people writing off LeBron so quickly? Any good reason, or is it because it seems too good to be true? I'm very curious to see if I'm missing something here.
I just can't see him leaving Cleveland.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just can't see him leaving Cleveland.
Like I said, pray for a first round upset.

(And who knows, if they get matched up against the Bobcats, it could be Dallas-GS all over again with the way that season series went).

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #20
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Best case scenario: Mavs sweep the Cavs in the NBA finals and LeBron leaves Cleveland.
Mark Cuban is a savvy businessman and could teach LBJ a few things about building a business empire.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LeBron is a pipe dream.

Quote:
But I do think we've got a fairly good chance of landing Wade.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Funny, but I really don't think it's so unrealistic. As it is right now, Wade's got more reasons to leave Miami than he has to stay. If he does leave, he's as likely to end up here as anywhere else. The way I see it, the Dallas is the only team that even comes close to a "contender" that will a be a major player in the free agency game this summer. All the others are rebuilding teams with cap room. Wade wants to win. He's made that very clear to the Heat.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Funny, but I really don't think it's so unrealistic.
LeBron = Pipe Dream

Wade = Pipe Semi-Reality (and all the shame that comes with it!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
LeBron = Pipe Dream

Wade = Pipe Semi-Reality (and all the shame that comes with it!)
Ah, got it.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #25
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Let's not forget the impact Dallas may have had during all star weekend. If the city looked attractive or an elite player enjoyed his time, could be a swing vote.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not gonna happen, tired head