Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Terry played PG during crunch time of the biggest series in Mavs' history. With the best player in the NBA defending him. Yeah, he's awful at it.
But I believe Kidd was out there directing traffic so he wasn't the point guard. Without Kidd out there, Terry wouldn't even have been able to do anything.

Quote:
One of the biggest, most uninformed myths on this board is that Terry can't play PG. He absolutely can. In fact, in relatively short spurts, he's quite good at it.
Not according to the Mavs FO. Since the 06 or 07 season, the Mavs have not run Terry out as point guard.

Quote:
Honestly, the argument for Kidd over Terry at SG at this point is bordering on absurdity. Kidd is almost 40 and can't do anything other than spot-up shoot and play very limited crunch-time defense in spurts. And the latter isn't even that useful until deep in the playoffs. We need a SG who can contribute consistently over an entire season. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing for late-game playoff situations exclusively.
Jet didn't contribute consistently last year either. And his game (being undersized, can't dribble left, etc) does not warrant longevity either.

Last edited by Bayliss; 07-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
But I believe Kidd was out there directing traffic so he wasn't the point guard. Without Kidd out there, Terry wouldn't even have been able to do anything.
I don't want to sound unfairly harsh, but you're just making that up. Go watch the last several minutes of Game 5 against the Heat again and tell me who was "directing traffic" and running the offense. It was Terry. Terry repeatedly beating LeBron off the dribble, Terry repeatedly setting up other guys. He scored or assisted on 11 of the Mavs' last 13 points. Meanwhile, Kidd was a weakside spot up shooter. Nothing more.

And that game is just one example of many, even in the Finals alone.

Quote:
Not according to the Mavs FO. Since the 06 or 07 season, the Mavs have not run Terry out as point guard.
This is just factually incorrect. I gave one huge example to the contrary already, and there are countless others. Not starting him at the 1 doesn't mean he hasn't played PG, especially late in games.

Nothing else I can say if you want to continue citing incorrect information.

Quote:
Jet didn't contribute consistently last year either. And his game (being undersized, can't dribble left, etc) does not warrant longevity either.
He contributed a hell of a lot more than Kidd. More minutes, 5% higher from the field, 2% higher from 3, and only 1.9 less assists per game despite not playing PG the majority of the time. And their shooting percentages in the playoffs were even more divergent. Terry was 46% and 50% from three, Kidd was 34% and 35%, respectively.

There's no factual basis for your argument. You're clearly just going off "feel" and other vague, immeasurable factors, so I'm really not sure we can discuss this further.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4th seed or bust, big cocks, booster for the rooster, cockadoodledont!, cockadoodledoo!, cubes > russia., let's talk about roosters, let's talk about russia, let's talk about sex, wests side story