Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Now that wimledon has almost reached 4th round, give me your predictions.

I am going with Agassi for the championship. Since Becker left I had noone left to support until Agassi (I thought he would never be a superstar) took over. Does anyone realize what this guy has accomplished at his age?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wimbledon- Mens

I love Agassi. I hope he wins Wimbledon. He is the remaining reason I watch men's Tennis anymore. Although Roddick is starting to get me interested.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #3
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Agassi - may the force be with you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 01:24 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: smile_at_me10
Agassi - may the force be with you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It is now.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i'm gonna go with andy roddick just cuz i want to be different and i like him.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:16 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Andy Roddick all the way. Now-a-days, men's tennis is like the eastern conference, it's up for grabs.

Andy Roddick has the same trainer as Agassi did back in his glory days, and Agassi looks to be a little tired. He'd probably win the next match, but that'll be it.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Phillippoussis. Well, I hope.

(I can't even say it, let alone spell it!)

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon- Mens

for the most part, agassi has looked dominant..not tired.
it is amazing what he has accomplished after the age of 30.. he is a man among boys...literally
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

the way I looked yesterday against my sister and her roommate playing tennis, I can beat both Roddick/Agassi in a double's match. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
for the most part, agassi has looked dominant..not tired.
it is amazing what he has accomplished after the age of 30.. he is a man among boys...literally
I thought he looked very tired Saturday. In the DMN they quoted him as saying he was tired because he is now a father. Which is another reason I am pulling for him. And he is ahead, but having a little trouble right now against Mark Philippoussis, OzMavs pick.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon- Mens

agassi lost..so, maybe he is all of a sudden feeling his age...if it's the kid that's making him "tired", then get rid of it...send the kid and his darling wife away for awhile so he can keep his head right with ball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Agassi is done. Mark Philippoussis has knocked him out of Wimbledon. Bummer.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #13
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

true, that is a bummer.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
true, that is a bummer.
My interest in the Men's portion of Wimbledon is now zero. I will probably watch if Roddick makes it to the Final round, but otherwise I will yawn too much.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i am pulling for a-rod! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Philippoussis ties Wimbledon record
By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

WIMBLEDON, England -- Last year, when three baseliners wandered into the semifinals at the All England Club, people wondered if they had slowed down the fabled grass.

Andre Agassi is one of the best returners in the game, yet he still couldn't stop Mark Philippoussis.

No one is asking that question this year.

For the first time in 117 Wimbledon tournaments, players aren't obligated to show deference to the Royal Box, but on Monday, serves ruled again.

Mark Philippoussis stroked 46 aces -- tying a Wimbledon record and three shy of the all-time Grand Slam record -- in a dramatic come-from-behind 6-3, 2-6, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 2 seed Andre Agassi.

Andy Roddick, the No. 5 seed, who has won 62 of his 64 service games here, took out Paradorn Srichaphan 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Thus, Roddick and Philippoussis reached the quarterfinals and stand a reasonable chance to meet in the championship final.

"I had a chance at 2-4 in the fourth," Agassi said later, breaking it down. "I had him love-40. He made five first serves. Not much I could have done there. I think I only got one in play.

"In the fifth, I had three break points at three-all. One of them, second serve, he hit 120 miles an hour."

Originally, Philippoussis was credited with equaling the existing Wimbledon record of 46 aces by Goran Ivanisevic in a 1997 match. But there was a discrepancy between the IBM computer statistics and the official scorecard for Philippoussis' match, which recorded 45 aces. After tournament officials reviewed the tape, the number was confirmed to be 46. Philippoussis is 10-0 in his career when he serves 30 aces or more.

Philippoussis stopped short of saying it was the match of his career, but allowed, "It's definitely up there. It was extremely important for me."

The middle Monday of Wimbledon is probably the best day in all of tennis. All eight round of 16 matches, on both the men's and women's sides, are played and the action is furious. The story of this frenetic day was Philippoussis, the Australian who has suffered through three surgeries on his left knee in the last year.

He came into the tournament ranked No. 51 in the world, but he was once as high as No. 8 and had reached the quarterfinals here on three previous occasions. In 1999, he actually won the first set against Pete Sampras but was forced to retire when the cartilage in his left knee couldn't handle the strain of the moment.

Healthy again, Philippoussis has seen his game flower. He reached the final in Scottsdale, losing to Lleyton Hewitt in the final. Agassi knocked him out in the round of 16 at Miami (his second loss to Agassi), and Guillermo Coria ended his run at Hamburg in the quarters. Still, after a first round loss to Richard Krajicek three weeks ago at Queen's, there were questions about Philippoussis' mindset.

He answered them with three straight victories, the last an inspired effort over Radek Stepanek. Philippoussis trailed by a set and was down 0-4 in the second-set tiebreaker. Philippoussis had already struck 73 aces in the tournament when he lined up opposite Agassi, who along with fellow Aussie Hewitt is one of the game's best returners of serve.

It was upon the axis of Philippoussis' serve that the match spun. Agassi did not disappoint on that count, leaning outside on numerous occasions and steering some astonishing returns past Philippoussis, who served and volleyed on 92 of 94 service points.

In the end, however, it came down to the eighth game of the ultimate set. Philippoussis broke Agassi in the seventh when the American inexplicably tossed off four errant backhands. Serving at 4-3, Agassi had several chances to level the match. On his first break point, Philippoussis stung a serve down the middle that nicked the frame of Agassi's racket. Two deuces later, Philippoussis ripped another ace down the middle and, finally, an ace outside for a 5-3 lead.

Match point, appropriately, was an unreturnable serve, one of a staggering 79. More than half of Philippoussis' serves did not come back. And so, after six consecutive losses to Agassi, Philippoussis was finally a winner.

Philippoussis had 21 break points and converted three. Agassi earned 11 break points and broke through only twice. Only Richard Krajicek, who had 49 aces in a 1999 U.S. Open quarterfinal match, surpassed Philippoussis' effort in a Grand Slam.

"There's nothing to get too excited about," Philippoussis said, unconvincingly. "It's the quarterfinals. I have a match (versus Germany's Alexander Popp) to concentrate on. The good thing is I've been in the quarterfinals a few times. That definitely helps with experience."

While Agassi was relegated to Court 1, it was Roddick who was featured on Centre Court. He only served a relatively meager 14 aces but controlled the match. He broke Srichaphan in the fifth game and, aside from a lapse in the second set, looked confident and comfortable.

It was the deepest penetration here for Roddick, who was knocked out in the third round in his two previous appearances. He has now won nine matches in a row, going back to his title at Queen's.

Roddick, usually a power baseliner, has seen his game become more diverse under new coach Brad Gilbert. Roddick actually made a point of approaching net to disturb Srichaphan's rhythm and won 24 of 29 points there.

"He's a big, strong guy," Roddick said. "Even when I try to bully him to one of the corners, he can still come up with good shots of his own. It's definitely something I tried to do the more the match went on."

Roddick next faces Jonas Bjorkman -- a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) winner over Max Mirnyi -- in Wednesday's quarterfinals.

Even though Agassi insisted that this wasn't his last match at Wimbledon, there was the acute sense of a torch passing. He is 33 and this was his 13th Wimbledon. Roddick, 20, was only 9 years old growing up in Austin, Texas, when Agassi won his first (and only) Wimbledon trophy.

When Agassi won the Australian Open back in January, it partially obscured the fact that Roddick had his best Grand Slam effort ever, reaching the semifinals before losing to Rainer Schuettler.

And now he is the last American man left in the draw.

"Little weird, huh?" Roddick asked.

He was asked about the pressure of being the man on his home turf in the United States.

"See, I've never been the man in the U.S.," Roddick answered. "There's always been a couple guys named Pete and Andre. So I really wouldn't know."

That might be about to change.

--------

46 aces? This guy looks to be for real.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

wow. 46 aces...awesome!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:23 PM   #18
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
You mean only in this tournament right.

Otherwise I do not see this as nothing but an upset. Pat Cash upset Lendl but Pat Cash struggled to get out of first round in any other tournament after that. Doesn't mean Pat cash was better than Lendl.

Old 06-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #19
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i think he meant in this tournament.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:50 PM   #20
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default Wimbledon- Mens

actually i would like to see if Philippoussis can another unseeded player to win wimbledon. plus he's been through some tough surgery, i am happy to see him playing well again.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:44 AM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:

Otherwise I do not see this as nothing but an upset. Pat Cash upset Lendl but Pat Cash struggled to get out of first round in any other tournament after that. Doesn't mean Pat cash was better than Lendl.
Yes, of course I meant for this tournament. The name of the thread was Wimbledon-Mens, and I was just saying he was done for Wimbledon 2003. By no means do I think he is done winning tournaments. He is still my favorite player.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #22
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:

Actually Agassi is declining allready. Mens tennis is watered down right now compared to where it was in the 90´s. Agassi has done a great job of staying fit and that enabled him to stay on the tour for a couple more years (and even dominate for good stretches). But with the kind of game he plays (attacking the balls early on the baseline which enables him to develope a lot of pressure) he needs good reflexes, mindspeed and quick footwork. I think at his age all of those are going to slip. The strokes are still there but he´s not as quick anymore. Maybe he´s got another grand slam tourney victory left in him, but I doubt that. If anything he can win the US Open this year. I think it´s his last shot.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:55 PM   #23
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I don't class Phillippoussis beating Agassi as an upset.

I think if Phillippoussis puts his mind to it - He becomes unbeatable. Watching him over the years, I have learnt that no win for him is an upset. It's the losses in matches that he should win that cost him.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #24
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

roddick is still going strong.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:50 PM   #25
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

damn, roddick lost.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
damn, roddick lost.
I don't care for Roddick . He is overrated. He is a disgrace to good players like Agassi, Sampras.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:37 PM   #27
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default Wimbledon- Mens

Quote:
Originally posted by: OzMavs
I don't class Phillippoussis beating Agassi as an upset.

I think if Phillippoussis puts his mind to it - He becomes unbeatable. Watching him over the years, I have learnt that no win for him is an upset. It's the losses in matches that he should win that cost him.
His name is Poo Poo and you know it!
It'll be interesting to see how a nation that basically hated him reacts if he should win Wimbledon.
Everyone seemed to handle the transition from hate to love for Llyeton pretty well. Let's see
how they go with this one.
What is wrong with these people!? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #28
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

when are the mens finals?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #29
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

well, federer won. yawn.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:26 AM   #30
veruca salt
Platinum Member

Damn. My social experiment will have to be put on hold....

Smile like you mean it
Old 07-07-2003, 10:38 AM   #31
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

is runner-up not enough to make it work, veruca?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #32
veruca salt
Platinum Member

no, because everyone hates losers anyway!

Smile like you mean it