Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-21-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I received a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble for my birthday, and can't decide on what books to spend it.

I am burned out on non-fiction at the moment, and I'm not a big fan of most beach books.

I was thinking about The Corrections, did anyone read that?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Nordic Gods and Heroes
Red Dragon
The Taggerung
Agincourt
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:57 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

what do you like? hard to give a recommendation completely out of the blue.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

As far as fiction, it is a pretty broad range.

Ford, Independence Day ( I think)
John Irving
Dostoyevsky
Wolfe
Tim O'Brien ( Tomcat in Love)

But I am a pretty flexible reader. If somebody has recently finished a book that floored them then I would love to hear about it, regardless of genre.

Lately I've read a lot of non fiction and need a break.

Hope that helps Hoops. I am taking suggestions from all. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 PM   #5
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I for one cannot fathom being at a loss for what to buy at Barnes & Noble!!

I typically prefer non-fiction, but I understand how one can develope burnout on that front. Historical Fiction is really cool. You could pick a region and time in history that you think is interesting, and then track down a book that fits.

Barnes & Noble. Uh, I love that place!
Old 07-21-2002, 11:36 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

I love non fiction, but as a history major and a lover of non fiction, you can get burned out on it. I enjoy it most of the time but I hit the wall.

As far as not being able to find anything, that isn't my problem. I am online right now and my $50 gift certificate already has $60 on it. I was just hoping for a few suggestions on fiction.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:47 PM   #7
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

<< online right now and my $50 gift certificate already has $60 on it. >>

This sounds like me. Just getting started and already past the gift value. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You junkie.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:54 PM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

Someone give me a reason to get past $100 soon or I will be forced to purchase my cart and go to bed.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:59 PM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Be strong! Take the cart before you go any further! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] j/k

sorry, haven't read any fiction in ages, but i hear Morgan Llywelyn is good. i just bought something of her's today. i'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:28 AM   #10
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

&quot;America B.C.&quot; by Barry Fell--a historical book.

&quot;Seasons in Hell&quot; by Mike Shropshire--a book about the Texas Rangers baseball team, humor of sorts.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:32 AM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&quot;A Wanderer in the Perfect City&quot;
Lawrence Weschler

This may not be the right book at the right time if you're burned out on non-fiction, but it's one of the more interesting things I've read in the last year or so. The review below fleshes out the premise of the book, but the individual essays were even more interesting to me than the review promises.

Review
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:02 AM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

recently floored?

A Quiet Life - Kenzaburo Oe
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson (only if you like fantasy)
Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote