Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brother Powell

Minister trying to make Mavs

Powell is undrafted free agent from Illinois

02:26 AM CDT on Monday, July 11, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Roger Powell might not be the best player on the Mavericks' summer league roster.

He might not even be the best Powell on the team. That honor could go to Josh Powell, who is no relation and had 19 points and 12 rebounds in the Vegas Summer League opener on Wednesday.

But nobody one-ups Roger Powell when it comes to having the respect of his teammates. And his coach.

Powell is a licensed minister at his home church, Mount Zion Gospel in Joliet, Ill. His teammates already call him "The Rev."

Powell isn't ordained, yet, though he hopes to be in the near future. Avery Johnson, of course, was ordained by his church in New Orleans, and Powell shares a common ground with Johnson in one important respect.

"Just because I'm a preacher doesn't mean you have to be soft," Powell said before the Mavericks went to Las Vegas for their first stop of the summer league.

"I'm going to be assertive and tough. I'm the minister – on and off the court."

Powell was part of Illinois' NCAA Tournament runner-up team last season. He went undrafted and is hoping to find a spot with the Mavericks at least through training camp in October.

Powell had two points in 11 minutes in the summer-league opener. But at 6-6 and 235 pounds, he plays the sort of defense that is bound to catch Johnson's eye. Powell has had a strong string of workouts under Paul Mokeski and Charlie Parker.

"If you can play defense," Mokeski said, "you have a chance to play for Avery."

Powell has a realistic outlook on his chances, but he figures all things happen for a reason.

"I wasn't drafted, but I was lucky because the Mavericks called me right away and I ended up here," he said. "I look at it as a blessing."

Powell originally was scheduled to be on the B-team that is playing in Long Beach, Calif. But his play earned him a spot alongside the stronger players in Las Vegas.

And if things don't work out with the Mavericks?

"I'm taking seminary classes and preaching at the church so that I can eventually get ordained," he said. "But right now, basketball is my focus."

Especially if he can become the Mavericks' minister of defense.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brother Powell

I was really impressed by RP's personality, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with his play at the summer league game I saw. Maybe it was just one game but he wasnt playing smart or strong.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Don't forget, EL...he's handsome.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
green14552

green14552 is on a distinguished road

EL did you know he was a minister??
green14552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

not until I read this article [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Brother Powell

I go to Illinois and got to see him play in all of his games last year. Strong rebounder and picked up garbage buckets. Surprised the opposing bigs when he made buckets from the outside. Couldve been a matchup nightmare for Nellie but really doesnt have a chance to stick. I hope he proves me wrong, because you can't not like the guy as a person. Great personality, and my friend's mom bought him a shirt at the mall in Champaign.
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Awesome school, auffe. My dad went there, and I was born in Urbana-Champaign. I hope Powell makes the team just so I can have a fighting illini alum to root for.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote