Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #441
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

???
i'm pretty sure i spelled it right. i even checked espn and the world baseball classic site just now.

anyways, great composure by him. he's cool as ice. just how a closer should be.

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #442
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Not talking about Otsuka.

It's Tejeda.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-02-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #443
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Otsuka with his 3rd save. He might save the trade all by himself.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #444
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

ah, i see now. it's just so natural to think it's tejada since that's the more popular style of spelling. oh well. hope he continues to do well.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #445
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to Otsuka... Did you see his smile at the end of that game... He is LOVING this...

It should be pointed out that Otsuka has the same amount of saves as Coco in 5 less opportunities...

Coco - 3 of 8 in save chances
Otsuka - 3 of 3 in save chances

Again, great job!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #446
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Tejeda was okay, but had control issues. Hopefully he gets to stay up, and see if it was just 1st game jitters. But he did a great job of getting out of jams.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #447
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cordero looked pretty good yesterday. He did give up a jam shot hit, but he had good location. His fastball was up and down. He was anywhere between 92 and 97. But, he limited the damage when he came in with a couple of runners on base. It was another instance in which Mench not getting a good jump cost the Rangers a run in the 8th. But, they survived.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #448
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

his slider was actually going for stirkes last night and then they could come nowhere close to catching up with that fast ball.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #449
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

So I haven't been watching, but this puppy's in the 11th. Dude, John Freaking Koronka 8.1 innings, 6 hits, 1 run, 4 Ks. Nice.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #450
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy deflection there... DOUBLE PLAY!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #451
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

DEROSA!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #452
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

WALK OFF HOME RUN TO WIN IT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 12TH!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #453
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

By the way, these boys can sure pitch this year!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #454
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

What Koronka has done has been nothing short of amazing.

I hesitate to even say anything about him. I mean, this can't continue much longer, right? Dude was struggling to even make the team for the Cubs, in any role.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #455
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's the thing about Koronka....He's got good stuff.

As for 'struggling to make the Cubs team'...well, they were supposed to be loaded as far as pitching was concerned going into the season. But, they've been hammered by injuries. So, don't hold that against Koronka.

Bottom line...The Cubs made a mistake. This guy has dang good stuff.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #456
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

All I know is Loe is pitching good, Koronka is pitching good, Millwood is pitching good, and Padilla is pitching good...

4 out of 5 pitching good will surely help you win a lot of games, (now that we have a consistent closer that is). If Tejeda can get under control, (and he might be able to as his control issues could have just been nerves), watch the hell out!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #457
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

By the way, just think if Eaton comes back and pitches like a number 2... Geez, this thing could be special... We are 16-12 and our 2nd best starting pitcher, (I don't know that, but he was penciled in as our #2), has been gone all year and our closer was MIA! This could end up being a very good year!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #458
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Koronka couldn't even make their bullpen, which he was competing for, I believe, not their rotation. Just saying, it's weird.

And I would bet a LOT of money that A. Eaton never pitches an inning for us and B. If he does pitch for us, he's NOTHING like a #2.

Thank God for Otsuka.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #459
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Koronka couldn't even make their bullpen, which he was competing for, I believe, not their rotation. Just saying, it's weird.

And I would bet a LOT of money that A. Eaton never pitches an inning for us and B. If he does pitch for us, he's NOTHING like a #2.

Thank God for Otsuka.
Careful... I will take that first part of your bet without blinking if you are serious!

I can't say how he will pitch though, but I would think that he would be at least good if he is healthy.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #460
Murphy3
Guru

JThig, the Cubs made a mistake on a young lefty. Hey, kudos to John Daniels.
As for Tejeda, maledan, there's a reason why he's no longer in Philly... and it's solely because of his lack of control. He's still a young guy, so he does have plenty of time to turn the control issue around a bit. But, it is worth noting that it has been an issue for him in the past.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #461
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Yeah Murph, I have heard as much... I am just trying to be positive... I will give him some time but 6+ walks is just crazy...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #462
jly
Dirk for MVP

i just came back from the game. i must say, WHAT A FREAKIN' AWESOME GAME!!!! koronka pitched as good as you can get. he was getting through innings like it was nothing. i was hardly able to get up and get me some dollar hotdogs. anyways, i went with my friend and this was his first rangers game ever. i'm sure this experience definitely spoiled him. great seats, a foul ball landed in the section next to us, great pitching, dollar hotdogs, extra innings, and a walk off homer by derosa, the last guy you'd expect to win it. this game has gotten me so HYPED!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #463
Murphy3
Guru

Male, he can walk as many batters as he wants as long as he only gives up the 2 runs in 5 innings. I'll take 10 walks game in and game out if the results are 2 runs in 5 innings. But yeah, obviously walking alot of people doesn't do alot to help a guy stay out of trouble. But, somehow he's managed to survive so far in his career even with the high walk total. Eventually it 'should' catch up with him unless he starts throwing more strikes.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #464
Murphy3
Guru

unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy my season tickets for awhlie...gotta wait until after finals.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #465
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this anywhere.

Apr. 27
News: Dickey cleared waivers and will report to Triple-A Oklahoma City.

I hope the kid can turn it around.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #466
Murphy3
Guru

I just don't see how he fits with this team in any capacity unless things go horribly wrong.

Why?

Starting pitchers:
Loe
Millwood
Padilla
Koronka
Tejeda

Injured: Eatong
Possible replacements that are likely to be given a shot before Dickey:
CJ Wilson,
Volquez,
Rupe, Riley,
Bauer,
Rheinecker,
Benoit (yes, with Francisco coming back, Benoit could possibly be shoved all the way back to long relief if Alfonseca, Cordero, and Otsuka stay healthy... it's not likely, but just a possibility)
John Wasdin

Plus, Masset, Diamond, Diaz, and Lee are all throwing good ball in the minors. No, none of them are remotely likely at this point in the season, but perhaps late in the season, one could make an appearance if need be. Plus, it's still early, but some of the guys that are struggling in the minors still have plenty of time to right their ships..such as Galarrage, Hudgins, and Danks...

Plus, there's a lefty that the Rangers acquired that they think can step in...He's pictched in the majors before off and on, but I can't think of his name....

The bottom line is this..unless things go horribly wrong, I just don't see Dickey back in the majors for the Rangers.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #467
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I think I have made my stance on Dickey very clear. I never want to see him in a Ranger uniform again.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #468
MFFL
Guru

I like knuckleballers. Its a dying breed and its nice to see someone carrying on the tradition. He may never pitch for us again but if he learns to throw it correctly he could be an excellent long man.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #469
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Male, he can walk as many batters as he wants as long as he only gives up the 2 runs in 5 innings. I'll take 10 walks game in and game out if the results are 2 runs in 5 innings. But yeah, obviously walking alot of people doesn't do alot to help a guy stay out of trouble. But, somehow he's managed to survive so far in his career even with the high walk total. Eventually it 'should' catch up with him unless he starts throwing more strikes.
Well, pitching in Arlington, that is going to get you in a good bit of trouble. That should get you in a good bit of trouble anywhere. I like this guy and was excited when we got him, but I never knew 6+ walks in 5 innings was the norm for him. I just hope that it was nerves and he settles into 2 or 3 per 5 innings, (worst case).
Old 05-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #470
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I like knuckleballers. Its a dying breed and its nice to see someone carrying on the tradition. He may never pitch for us again but if he learns to throw it correctly he could be an excellent long man.
Well sure MFFL... Hell, if Quincy Carter, (what are the odds that Doc comments about this sentence), suddenly became the second coming of Troy Aikman, I would welcome him back with open arms. The point is that I know that isn't going to happen, just like I know Dickey is NOT going to figure it out at the major league level. You are welcome to remember that for future "I Told You Sos"!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #471
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
A lot of walks mean high pitch count, and after awhile lots of runs. Walks=not good at all. A pitcher would rather give up a single than a walk.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 AM   #472
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
A pitcher would rather give up a single than a walk.
I was with you until that sentence... If a guy is on 2nd, a pitcher would much rather walk the guy at the plate than give up a single. A single means a run there, and using your pattern, Runs=Not good at all! A single can also get guys around to score at 1st if they are quick enough and the guy that gets the single isn't quick. So the only way this is true is if there are no men on base, and even then, I don't know that one is any better than the other. It is still a man on base.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #473
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Careful... I will take that first part of your bet without blinking if you are serious!

I can't say how he will pitch though, but I would think that he would be at least good if he is healthy.
You do realize as of right now he's out until August, right? If he has even a minor setback of any kind, that probabloy pushes him well into September.

Not a crazy notion at all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #474
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
You do realize as of right now he's out until August, right? If he has even a minor setback of any kind, that probabloy pushes him well into September.

Not a crazy notion at all.
I didn't stutter!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #475
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

if everyone keeps pitching like they are, if Eaton comes back, I'd put him in the 4th Spot, not 2nd or 3rd. Right now it's 1-Millwood,2-Padilla, 3-Loe, 4-Tejeda, 5-Koronka.
Let Eaton face the other teams 3rd or 4th starter, not 1st or 2nd.
And I leave Koronka in the 5 spot, and let him have a year like Garland did last year, facing the oppsong 5's
Old 05-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #476
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Koronka's the 4. I think they had Tejeda pitch before him this time around because it matched up with Tejeda's schedule. But the way the schedule is, you only need a 5th starter once every few weeks, and that role certainly doesn't belon to Koronka, as well as he's pitching.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #477
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
Let Eaton face the other teams 3rd or 4th starter, not 1st or 2nd.
And I leave Koronka in the 5 spot, and let him have a year like Garland did last year, facing the oppsong 5's
They really don't line up like that. Between injuries, off-days, and rainouts everyone's rotation gets screwed. I remember last year it seemed like we caught the front end of everyone's rotation on three game series. Pure concidence, but there you go.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #478
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Koronka's the 4. I think they had Tejeda pitch before him this time around because it matched up with Tejeda's schedule. But the way the schedule is, you only need a 5th starter once every few weeks, and that role certainly doesn't belon to Koronka, as well as he's pitching.
Well, considering the fact that they only have 1 off day in the month of May, I think you're a bit off with how often they need a 5th starter. And most of the time, team's play more than 4 games in a row before getting an off day. So, a 5th starter is needed far more often than not.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #479
Murphy3
Guru

Trust me, I know that he needs to get his walks down. That's why I said that the walks 'should' catch up with him sooner rather than later. But, I also said that if he somehow manages to win despite walking alot, I won't be too upset. He is the 5th starter.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #480
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well, considering the fact that they only have 1 off day in the month of May, I think you're a bit off with how often they need a 5th starter. And most of the time, team's play more than 4 games in a row before getting an off day. So, a 5th starter is needed far more often than not.
And then they have 5 off days in July, where they would need him three times at the most.

So at the very minimum, your 5th starter is going to miss one start a month, usually more. Which holds up my whole point, which was you don't make Tejeda your 4th and Koronka your 5th.

Are you actually arguing that point? Or are you simply taking issue with my exaggeration?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Closed Thread