Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should NBA let Covid positive players play?

https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/sta...13101892120579

I actually think this is a worthy discussion. With the way Omicron spreads, half the NBA or more will be out under the current protocol. So we can either shut down again or let them play.

The NBA was ahead of the Covid curve by shutting the league down back in March 2022, and I think they can be ahead of it again in a new way by letting the players play. We can't keep shutting everything down over every variant.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Yes, they should. I think a decent approach is that of which the NFL is undertaking. Vaccinated players can test out in 48 hours if they get two negative tests. Seems to be the quickest way back for players.

Then again, if they are vaccinated and/or boosted, they've done what has been asked of them and should be able to play.

I mean hell, they're letting guys with the flu and other illnesses play that I'd argue is worse for player health, for the individual and teammates and opponents. If a guy at the rec or gym had the flu and was trying to get some runs in, we would collectively tell them to fuck off and stay at home until you aren't sick.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Yes, they should. I think a decent approach is that of which the NFL is undertaking. Vaccinated players can test out in 48 hours if they get two negative tests. Seems to be the quickest way back for players.

Then again, if they are vaccinated and/or boosted, they've done what has been asked of them and should be able to play.

I mean hell, they're letting guys with the flu and other illnesses play that I'd argue is worse for player health, for the individual and teammates and opponents. If a guy at the rec or gym had the flu and was trying to get some runs in, we would collectively tell them to fuck off and stay at home until you aren't sick.
NFL just actually changed the protocol. If fully vaccinated can play if asymptomatic. They claimed to base it on the scientific info that a vaccinated person can test positive but have such a low circulating viral load due to the presence of vaccine induced antibodies that they are virtually of no imminent danger to those they contact on the playing field. No more positive tests meaning automatic quarantine. If symptomatic they will only need one negative test with no symptoms to come back. Many fully vaxxed people are only lightly sick for a day or two and can test negative after just 48 hours. With the new protocol we could see an NFL vaxxed player have sniffles and a low grade fever on Monday and be back on Wednesday. The remaining unvaxxed morons in the NFL will automatically be out at least 10 days per protocol for the poorly informed unvaxxed. By the way Saclare you would argue inaccurately if you think the flu has anywhere near the potential long term (long haul) effects of Covid. You are simply wrong. Jason Tatum is still complaining of linger effects from many months ago. There is also growing evidence of long term neurological and cognitive impacts in about 10 to 15 percent of infected. Covid could literally effect in a negative way, the collective global I.Q.

Last edited by Zeus; 12-18-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
NFL just actually changed the protocol. If fully vaccinated can play if asymptomatic. They claimed to base it on the scientific info that a vaccinated person can test positive but have such a low circulating viral load due to the presence of vaccine induced antibodies that they are virtually of no imminent danger to those they contact on the playing field. No more positive tests meaning automatic quarantine. If symptomatic they will only need one negative test with no symptoms to come back. Many fully vaxxed people are only lightly sick for a day or two and can test negative after just 48 hours. With the new protocol we could see an NFL vaxxed player have sniffles and a low grade fever on Monday and be back on Wednesday. The remaining unvaxxed morons in the NFL will automatically be out at least 10 days per protocol for the poorly informed unvaxxed. By the way Saclare you would argue inaccurately if you think the flu has anywhere near the potential long term (long haul) effects of Covid. You are simply wrong. Jason Tatum is still complaining of linger effects from many months ago. There is also growing evidence of long term neurological and cognitive impacts in about 10 to 15 percent of infected. Covid could literally effect in a negative way, the collective global I.Q.
Lol.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

There's a lot of buzzwords to pick through that. I'll just say that I've never seen the words "asymptomatic" and "long haul" ever utilized than in the last two years. Seemingly made up out of nowhere and a crock of shit if you ask me. Time will tell all.

But all of these changes directly contradict anything said about this super tramsmittable virus. Something once so transmittable is now near impossible for vaxxed? Sure...

Just one anecdote for ya, since I guess Jason Tatum having "long haul" symptoms should be applied to all cases. My wife "tested positive" during labor. We were there for 14 hours, heavy breathing and all (unmasked), before the test came back. Only then did fear drive a needless response to kick out new grandparents and family, overkill "protection" protocols. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them to run a 2nd test (also came back 14 hours later as negative, but I kept cool and just told them to make sure we were the first to be discharged in the morning). Sure, we would follow whatever in the mean time. But do people really just accept that something is wrong with them or that they are "sick" when there are absolutely no symptoms otherwise? "Asymptomatic" is a lie.

Also, 1000% would hear more about this "rise" in cases if any of these players in the NFL or NBA actually had symptoms. Either something is wrong with the tests and powers that be don't want to admit it, or the NFL is seriously covering up grave mistakes in their approach to testing. You won't find me holding my breath for any honesty or transparency from anyone.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/sta...13101892120579

I actually think this is a worthy discussion. With the way Omicron spreads, half the NBA or more will be out under the current protocol. So we can either shut down again or let them play.

The NBA was ahead of the Covid curve by shutting the league down back in March 2022, and I think they can be ahead of it again in a new way by letting the players play. We can't keep shutting everything down over every variant.
YES!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's a lot of buzzwords to pick through that. I'll just say that I've never seen the words "asymptomatic" and "long haul" ever utilized than in the last two years. Seemingly made up out of nowhere and a crock of shit if you ask me. Time will tell all.

But all of these changes directly contradict anything said about this super tramsmittable virus. Something once so transmittable is now near impossible for vaxxed? Sure...

Just one anecdote for ya, since I guess Jason Tatum having "long haul" symptoms should be applied to all cases. My wife "tested positive" during labor. We were there for 14 hours, heavy breathing and all (unmasked), before the test came back. Only then did fear drive a needless response to kick out new grandparents and family, overkill "protection" protocols. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them to run a 2nd test (also came back 14 hours later as negative, but I kept cool and just told them to make sure we were the first to be discharged in the morning). Sure, we would follow whatever in the mean time. But do people really just accept that something is wrong with them or that they are "sick" when there are absolutely no symptoms otherwise? "Asymptomatic" is a lie.

Also, 1000% would hear more about this "rise" in cases if any of these players in the NFL or NBA actually had symptoms. Either something is wrong with the tests and powers that be don't want to admit it, or the NFL is seriously covering up grave mistakes in their approach to testing. You won't find me holding my breath for any honesty or transparency from anyone.
Asymptomatic is not a new word. Ever hear of herpes?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:28 AM   #8
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You literally didn't offer any cogent counterpoints to the rationale I offered up on why the leagues are changing their testing and protocol logic. You don't seem too steeped in science by your irrelevant anecdote - congrats on baby by the way. Not sure if you realize it or not but science adjusts to new evidence unlike say, religion which is based on dogma and faith. Science is based on evidence and logic and adjusting theories to fit new evidence. What would a Bayesian do?

Last edited by Zeus; 12-26-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
You literally didn't offer any cogent counterpoints to the rationale I offered up on why the leagues are changing their testing and protocol logic. You don't seem too steeped in science by your irrelevant anecdote - congrats on baby by the way. Not sure if you realize it or not but science adjusts to new evidence unlike say, religion which is based on dogma and faith. Science is based on evidence and logic and adjusting theories to fit new evidence. What would a Bayesian do?
Lol religion? Who the fuck brought that into it?

I'm simply pointing out the dumb assery going on and on about something that we will continue to have to live with forever. You can throw out your generalizations but I'll continue to point out the hypocrisy and theatre that is right before your eyes.

Look at all these poor sick players with no symptoms...fantastic job!
Old 12-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Zeus

Quote:
Lol religion? Who the fuck brought that into it?

I'm simply pointing out the dumb assery going on and on about something that we will continue to have to live with forever. You can throw out your generalizations but I'll continue to point out the hypocrisy and theatre that is right before your eyes.

Look at all these poor sick players with no symptoms...fantastic job!
You don't want the leagues to adjust to the data indicating vaccinated people are barely getting sick with Omicron and they should loosen the protocols? I thought you would be in favor of that. Personally I am done with it - Like former President Trump basically said - He helped push forward one of the greatest achievements but so many are needlessly dying or taking up ICU space - Let's Go Darwin
Old 12-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Silver needs to police it.

Either COVId is minor and we just play through it or we actually enforce the COVId protocol. Jazz and Suns have gained an advantage by refusing to test while other teams have been absolutely decimated. That's not fair and it's not good for a sport to give one team an advantage by cheating.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:52 AM   #12
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
You don't want the leagues to adjust to the data indicating vaccinated people are barely getting sick with Omicron and they should loosen the protocols? I thought you would be in favor of that. Personally I am done with it - Like former President Trump basically said - He helped push forward one of the greatest achievements but so many are needlessly dying or taking up ICU space - Let's Go Darwin
Wtf are you on? I'm shocked the NBA enacted the changes they did, shouldn't have been as strict in the first place. Reactionary shit.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Zeus

Quote:
Wtf are you on? I'm shocked the NBA enacted the changes they did, shouldn't have been as strict in the first place. Reactionary shit.
Coffee and fancy book lernin

The leagues and health agencies are reacting to the fact that Omicron appears to produce less serious illness than Delta especially among the vaccinated hence the decision by the NFL to let positives play if asymptomatic. Beauty of science - you adjust to new data and info such as the earth isn't 6 thousand years old nor did Noah take all animals 2x2 onto an ark and that almost all people in ICUs with Covid are unvaccinated.