Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-12-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default I pledge allegiance to the flag...of Texas?

I just read in Newsweek that it is now law in Texas that kids say a pledge of allegiance to the state of Texas...are they serious? Is this true? Why are you pledging to the flag of Texas? To insure their support against a war with Louisiana?

I just found this a bit odd. I know there is some history of wars with Mexico and the such, but Texas is part of the United States. Kids in the northeast don't pledge allegiance to the original 13 colonies.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't heard of this one. I think someone may be pulling your leg? Maybe a prank online article? Hell....I don't know.

I wish we would secede anyways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

It is in the current issue of Newsweek. It came in the mail today. Here is the quote:

"I think Texas is a unique and important state"

- State Rep. Dan Branch, on a new requirement that all Texas schoolchildren pledge allegiance to the state flag: "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, TExas, one and indivisible."

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

I haven't heard a peep about this.

what the hell...why not?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
I just read in Newsweek that it is now law in Texas that kids say a pledge of allegiance to the state of Texas...are they serious? Is this true? Why are you pledging to the flag of Texas? To insure their support against a war with Louisiana?
Someone is pulling your leg - we don't have a law like that.

Quote:
I just found this a bit odd. I know there is some history of wars with Mexico and the such, but Texas is part of the United States. Kids in the northeast don't pledge allegiance to the original 13 colonies.
But the difference is that Texas declared independence from Mexico BY ITSELF and won a war to free itself. So we have a little more pride in our state than most.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:49 AM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: I pledge allegiance to the flag...of Texas?

Texas wasn't part of the US when got independized (or owned or whatever) of Mexico. Texas was ruled as an independent nation until Texans decided to join the Union, shortly after the event.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:40 AM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard that before, but it sure sounds like a darned good idea to me...

Proud Standard of the only US State that was once a Nation: Allegiance Worthy; Pledge Worthy...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:02 AM   #8
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

It is true. I teach at a high school here in the DFW area and our principal made the announcement at a faculty meeting Monday. The biggest problem we are having right now is that we don't have Texas flags for all of the classrooms. How can you pledge to a flag that isn't there? This was brought up by many principals at their principals meeting last week and the response from the administration was to print a flag off the internet. Nice. Another problem was that only one teacher on our entire staff actually knew the words to the Texas pledge.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i pledge allegiance to texas every night when I go to sleep here in Denver
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
i pledge allegiance to texas every night when I go to sleep here in Denver

An endearing quality of the murph.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #11
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

In first grade, we pledged alliagiance to the flag of Texas every morning - right after we pledged the US flag.

I think it's a great idea. State pride is a wonderful thing.

war with LA? <giggle> cute joke [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:28 AM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I think we should invade New Mexico, slaughter that fat-ass savage running thier state, arrest our fugitive state legislators, burn the cities to the ground, and leave. That state is only good for skiing and watching drunk indians pass out on the state highways.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

The Shock and Awe bombing of Louisiana would consist of dropping cases of whiskey on the Cajuns and letting them drink themselves into a stupor. Then the Texans would roll over them in their drunken state. It would be a massacre.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

hey now! i used to live in louisiana. i take offense to that!

cajuns wouldn't drink whiskey. it's beer and hurricanes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:50 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
hey now! i used to live in louisiana. i take offense to that!

cajuns wouldn't drink whiskey. it's beer and hurricanes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My bad BBL.....

The ape stikes again!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:04 AM   #16
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Pledging Allegience to your state? I really think requiring this is a bad idea. I hope it isn't mandatory
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
Pledging Allegience to your state? I really think requiring this is a bad idea. I hope it isn't mandatory
You live in Texas epitome? If not, you wouldn't understand.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #18
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I live in Texas and I'm pretty fond of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (and Arlington) I highly respect other areas of Texas like Austin, El Paso, Houston and San Antonio and am fond of Southwestern culture in general. I love being a Texan but I think pledging allegience to your state is a little silly. If kids wanna do it out of a genuine devotion to the State then the opportunity should be provided but I think pledging allegience to the flag of your country to be a little silly, much less the flag of your state. What next? pledging allegience to your city?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Cool. I didn't know if you were here or not. But, the huge difference in your example is that your city did not fight and win independence. Texas state pride is unrivaled by any other state's. Now before you point out that other states have state pride, I accept that, but there is not an ingrained pride in any other state like there is in Texas. Some may wish to point out that we could not have gained independence without those fighting kentuckians or the Missouri militia that joined us, but they would also likely fail to point out that those men became Texans by choice and very few went home. They came to fight for Texas independence and settle in here. I like the idea of instilling a little statewide pride in our youth.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #20
Epitome22
Golden Member

I understand what you are saying to a degree. It's especially nice when I run into people from other state's who say in a serious tone, mocking or otherwise "Don't mess with Texas" But Texas isn't a soverign nation anymore and hasn't been for quite a long time, so it just seems weird to me to pledge allegience to a state as if it were a nation. But hey, if kids wanna do it, let them do it. I'm not fond of flag saluting in general whatever the case may be, but if Texas decides they want to secede from the Union and reform The Republic of Texas, I'll gladly pledge allegience to the State/National flag every morning just for the novelty sake of it.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:13 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I saw we restore our boundaries to the original borders. We could use the ski slopes.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote