Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What happens with Noel?
Gets a contract from us 15 78.95%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with us next season 2 10.53%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with someone else next season 1 5.26%
Gets a contract Mavs don't match 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #81
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
don't 'they' know what us Mavs fans have been through!? lol Can't help but feel anxious until this deal is confirmed and until we know what is up with DWill
Sounds like D-Will is getting bought out...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #82
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But how do you bring the Face of the Franchise off the bench?

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dirk as our "starting center," but with Noel still playing around 30 MPG.
If Nerlens is in our long term plans it behooves us to make him feel as wanted, respected and appreciated as possible. Why can't Dirk and Nerlens start beside on another for the rest of this season at least? Barnes and Noel need to time to gel. I understand it takes our rim protector away from the rim to have Noel guard PF but it could just be matchup dependent. Or even better bring Dirk off the bench.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #83
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not exactly ideal
Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #84
mac222b
Diamond Member

Curious as to whether or how much they shopped Wes. We have the makings of a nice young core. And there are a few teams(Minny, Denver, Utah)trying to make the leap.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-23-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #85
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Who cares about DeWil, as long as you got Noel dirt cheap. Lets hope his health holds up.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #86
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
If Nerlens is in our long term plans it behooves us to make him feel as wanted, respected and appreciated as possible.
If he's the kind of player who- as a 22 year old with very pedestrian numbers and no career accomplishments whatsoever- would get his feathers ruffled by coming off the bench behind an all-time great, then he's headcase who doesn't deserve to be in the NBA, and the Mavs just made a mistake in acquiring him.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #87
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Who cares about DeWil, as long as you got Noel dirt cheap. Lets hope his health holds up.
I think we were all hoping to squeeze an extra asset out of him. Maybe a 2nd since it looks like we'll be sending this years and next away
Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #88
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Start Noel and Dirk. Bring in Curry 5 minutes in for Dirk and slide Barnes over.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #89
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If he's the kind of player who- as a 22 year old with very pedestrian numbers and no career accomplishments whatsoever- would get his feathers ruffled by coming off the bench behind an all-time great, then he's headcase who doesn't deserve to be in the NBA, and the Mavs just made a mistake in acquiring him.
I wouldn't say he has very pedestrian numbers. Defensively his numbers are quite good. For a big his steal numbers are Olajuwon great(in somewhat small sample size). He's a real rim protector.

Who knows whether it'd ruffle his feathers? Why start off the relationship on a weird foot? What's the upside in him coming off the bench other than continuity for this seasons "playoff push". We aren't paying him 20M per year this summer to come off the bench. So he'll be a starter next season at latest anyway.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #90
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't disagree with you, but please let's all keep the vibes positive right now. You're giving me Rondo flashbacks!
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #91
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Makes sense, he's in win now mode, Mavs are not, develop Yogi, Barnes and Noel core. Get a 4th piece via the draft.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #92
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Joel Embiid‏@JoelEmbiid 3 Std.vor 3 Stunden

Gonna miss my best friend but I'm happy for him... He represented the process since he was here from the start.. One more time>>> Trust It
So Noel can start to recruit Embiid
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #93
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
Start Noel and Dirk. Bring in Curry 5 minutes in for Dirk and slide Barnes over.
That's what I was thinking. Carlisle may just be playing poker with his comments until the deal is official.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #94
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I wouldn't say he has very pedestrian numbers. Defensively his numbers are quite good. For a big his steal numbers are Olajuwon great(in somewhat small sample size). He's a real rim protector.
He's a fine young player, and I'm happy we got him, but when I say pedestrian, I mean they're simply nice. He's a nice piece of a young core. He's not a star. Not now, and I don't think he will be.

Quote:
Who knows whether it'd ruffle his feathers? Why start off the relationship on a weird foot?
I'm saying it's a silly thing to worry about. If that's the kind of thing would bother him, then he's an idiot and a locker room cancer, and the mavs should get rid of him ASAP. Only stars have the right to be offended by coming off the bench, and he aint no star. Now if you want to argue that it just makes more basketball sense to have him start for X's and O's reasons, I can buy that. But worrying about his ego being bruised? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiMav View Post
That's what I was thinking. Carlisle may just be playing poker with his comments until the deal is official.
Not to mention that the word "starter" has been essentially meaningless in RC's system ever since JET.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #96
Underdog

@EarlKSneed: Dirk may be done with the opening tipoff: "I hope so. It was ugly at times. I'm a little stiff there at the tip. ...It was not a good look."

Old 02-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #97
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I really love that we got our center (and of course dirt cheap). Dirk/Mejri/Powell wasnt really a solution.

And the FA center market in the summer is completly (!) dead, just look at this crap: http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-...e-top-players/

Now we can focus on the longterm solution at PG and the draft is stacked with PGs AND the FA is really deep at this position.

So if everything plays out we are going to have a nice balanced roster next season. And Powell can focus on the required PF skills, he wont play center anymore.

Last edited by sefant77; 02-23-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #98
KingAchilles8

KingAchilles8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I really love that we got our center (and of course dirt cheap). Dirk/Mejri/Powell wasnt really a solution.

And the FA center market in the summer is completly (!) dead, just look at this crap: http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-...e-top-players/

Now we can focus on the longterm solution at PG and the draft is stacked with PGs AND the FA is really deep at this position.

So if everything plays out we are going to have a nice balanced roster next season.
I would like to see what we have in Yogi
KingAchilles8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #99
Underdog

@ESPNStatsInfo: Nerlens Noel has 52 dunks this season, making him the Mavs leader in dunks this season. Prior to trade, Dwight Powell had the most with 45

Old 02-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #100
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy that Deron is gone. Trade or not.

And again, I look forward to the first Yogi-Noel oop
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #101
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Powell can focus on the required PF skills, he wont play center anymore.
I wouldn't bet on that, unfortunately...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #102
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I wouldn't bet on that, unfortunately...
Cant see him outplaying Noel and Mejri on that position.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #103
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cant see him outplaying Noel and Mejri on that position.
Me neither but you know Rick

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #104
Underdog

Looks like Donnie bought himself a few more years of job security...

@BenRogers: I'm told Donnie Nelson is the Mavs hero in the Nerlens Noel move. Sometimes it's a crowded room. But I'm told this was pure Donnie magic

Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #105
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

@BenRogers: I'm told Donnie Nelson is the Mavs hero in the Nerlens Noel move. Sometimes it's a crowded room. But I'm told this was pure Donnie magic
I've never doubted Donnie's ability to make good deals. Lord knows he's made plenty of them over the years. Now if only we could start getting something out of the draft....
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #106
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Quote:

I'm glad Cuban didn't get in his way again.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #107
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Now if only we could start getting something out of the draft....
I think Cuban learned his lesson there to shut up and let Donnie call the shots.

You know, soon to be MVP Giannis...
Old 02-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #108
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
That seems like the most likely scenario. Maybe not right away but I can see it work into that once Noel gets some minutes with the group.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #109
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

That's a huge trade, people. Noel had legit DPOY impact last year, at 21. The kid is a defensive monster waiting to happen, someone who can average the most steals in the league from the center position. Offensively he is a huge work in progress, but his 10-foot jumper is improving, and he is not completely hopeless. He'll probably never be a 20+ scorer, but in his peak, he will give you 16/10/3/2/2, with DPOY level defensive impact. Hopefully we can get lucky in June, and find a perimeter stud to pair him up with.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 02-23-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #110
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've never doubted Donnie's ability to make good deals. Lord knows he's made plenty of them over the years. Now if only we could start getting something out of the draft....
Good deals? Sure

Good decisions? Not so much
Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #111
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Chances he will be on the floor tomorrow?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Chances he will be on the floor tomorrow?
depends a lot on how quickly the physical happens and the paperwork is finalized.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #113
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
That's a huge trade, people. Noel had legit DPOY impact last year, at 21. The kid is a defensive monster waiting to happen, someone who can average the most steals in the league from the center position. Offensively he is a huge work in progress, but his 10-foot jumper is improving, and he is not completely hopeless. He'll probably never be a 20+ scorer, but in his peak, he will give you 16/10/3/2/2, with DPOY level defensive impact. Hopefully we can get lucky in June, and find a perimeter stud to pair him up with.
Just hope he can develop to a point to have the same impact as Tyson had.

Can Noel rebound well?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #114
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

This is a best case scenario for us Mavs fans.....we get some excitement on TDL and still get to enjoy the draft (most likely).
I was assuming one of them would be compromised today.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #115
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #116
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Great news to wake up to! Didn't lose much too, Anderson had the writing on the wall as soon as DFS got meaningful minutes.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #117
sefant77
Guru

Quote:

i came. twice.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #118
NewMexiMav

Quote:

Lord knows we need some of that sh*t in the paint! Outstanding.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #119
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiMav View Post
Lord knows we need some of that sh*t in the paint! Outstanding.
Exactly....with Noel and Mejri we shouldn't see a barrage of layup drills and dunks.
I'm wondering which one of Powell or Mejri will be the most impacted by this move.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #120
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Sounds like 2011 Chandler, over a period of 5-8 seasons. Great trade.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote