Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tim M. Article on Luka-Carlisle

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...llas-mavericks

Much of this has already been reported by Cato, but still worth a read. One interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Carlisle, for his part, doubted Smith could be a productive NBA starter, team sources said. He had wanted the Mavs to draft guard Donovan Mitchell, and had completely soured on Smith midway through his rookie campaign.

I wonder who had the final say on DSJ. Needless to say Mitchell + Luka would be a game-changer.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It's still obvious that Rick was the problem though. Talk about a f'in ego. Love that he made up that Luka and DSJ didn't get along. So DSJ going on hiatus was basically justified because he had a nut job coach making up that Dennis and Luka had issues. Yikes.

And all of the drafting issues are because there are too many chefs in the kitchen. So tired of hearing about who wanted who when there should be one guy making the final decisions.

But this is the most damning...."It wasn't really about how Rick treated Luka," a Mavs player on the 2018-19 team said. "Luka hated how Rick treated other people."

So we could have lost both KP AND Luka had Carlisle stayed. And Cuban wanted to keep him! Good lord...

Good riddance.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-15-2021 at 09:34 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

DHWS - your summary about covers it. It was a toxic situation and I'm glad RC is gone.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

It was obvious to us just watching games that Rick treated players like shit.

You never heard former players talking glowingly about Rick in general.

I bet there are a lot of former Mavs feeling validated right now. Rick's doghouse was the size of a mansion.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

DSJ - just tweeted this:
Dennis Smith Jr.@Dennis1SmithJr
This article about my time there is spot on. And that’s coming from staff members n players! Y’all don’t even know the half.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I would say with 100% confidence that RC mentioned Kidd on the way out to sabotage Mosley from coaching the Mavs.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rigid Rick for a reason.

The sub patterns. The insta-hook for young guys. The lack of playing time for guys producing on the court. Over reliance of DP, Messley and a few others along the way.

JKidd can easily avoid this by seizing the opportunities to boost his young core by giving mins.

The GM and owner role needs to be separated out and there should be clear boundaries between who makes personnel moves. Its Cubans team but if you're going to constantly meddle via media, reporters and bringing in Analyitics guys to suggest moves, it diminishes the GM.

Cuban doesn't know how to build a winning team, period. It's a tough balance to be loyal and make necessary moves to better the team. He isn't doing a good job of managing this. Which is why he needs to fvck out and let Nico GM. *unless he wants a yes man who isn't going to tell him no or take the reigns. Until I see otherwise, I think thats what we have going on. Nico and Kidd are likely too green and need these jobs too much to establish themselves in those roles to feel comfortable demanding something out of Cuban. Whether it be to but out, keep quiet or hey, we HAVE to make these moves.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I would say with 100% confidence that RC mentioned Kidd on the way out to sabotage Mosley from coaching the Mavs.
We knew that, but I'm not convinced Mosley was the right choice. Would I like him over Kidd? Sure, but it was just a bad time to need a head coach with the dearth of good ones available. And I doubt we're any better than we are now no matter the coach.

With that said, soooo many and too many Mavs fans defended Rick til the end no matter how poorly he coached.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
We knew that, but I'm not convinced Mosley was the right choice. Would I like him over Kidd? Sure, but it was just a bad time to need a head coach with the dearth of good ones available. And I doubt we're any better than we are now no matter the coach.

With that said, soooo many and too many Mavs fans defended Rick til the end no matter how poorly he coached.
Yeah idk if he would have been the right guy. I definitely wanted him though, and I believe that Orlando fights for him each night. With the way the Mavs are playing, Im glad he's not coaching because he would be a huge scapegoat
Old 12-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #10
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It's still obvious that Rick was the problem though. Talk about a f'in ego. Love that he made up that Luka and DSJ didn't get along. So DSJ going on hiatus was basically justified because he had a nut job coach making up that Dennis and Luka had issues. Yikes.

And all of the drafting issues are because there are too many chefs in the kitchen. So tired of hearing about who wanted who when there should be one guy making the final decisions.

But this is the most damning...."It wasn't really about how Rick treated Luka," a Mavs player on the 2018-19 team said. "Luka hated how Rick treated other people."

So we could have lost both KP AND Luka had Carlisle stayed. And Cuban wanted to keep him! Good lord...

Good riddance.
Agree. Good riddance. I've wanted that overrated arsehole fired for 4+ years. He was always a dick, but everybody kept defending him ad nauseam because he won a championship. I still think he's one of the main reasons Dallas never had much FA success. Players talk, and millionaires don't want to work in a crappy environment if they don't have to.

Having said that, even with him gone, the Mavs are still a dumpster fire of dysfunction thanks to Cuban.

I've been a Mav fan since 1984, but I don't think I've been this disinterested in the Mavs since the last few years of Don Carter's ownership. :-/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 12-15-2021 at 09:27 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:24 AM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Carlisle was not a good guy and it was obvious. You could tell he treated players like trash. He was just negative energy. The really sad thing is Cuban never recognized it. Geez. This team is boring.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...llas-mavericks

Much of this has already been reported by Cato, but still worth a read. One interesting tidbit:

I wonder who had the final say on DSJ. Needless to say Mitchell + Luka would be a game-changer.
It would...but if you draft Mitchell can you even still draft Luka? Do you have the pick to even draft Trae to trade for Luka?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Carlisle was not a good guy and it was obvious. You could tell he treated players like trash. He was just negative energy. The really sad thing is Cuban never recognized it. Geez. This team is boring.
While true.....he did coach this team to a championship......
Old 12-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #14
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I think we all know Rick was a dirty mf at times when it came to specific players.

The fact that a coach would try to ruin a relationship between two young players luka/DSJ just so that the coach could gain more control is absolutely pathetic

I also believe Rick is the guy who tried to cause friction between luka and KP
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I think we all know Rick was a dirty mf at times when it came to specific players.

The fact that a coach would try to ruin a relationship between two young players luka/DSJ just so that the coach could gain more control is absolutely pathetic

I also believe Rick is the guy who tried to cause friction between luka and KP
He ruined DSJ's career. And who knows how many other guys careers he's ruined....probably Rondo's too.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #16
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
He ruined DSJ's career. And who knows how many other guys careers he's ruined....probably Rondo's too.
DSJ ruined his own career IMO. Dallas is the only place he’s had the slightest bit of success. IDGAF about Rondo. Fuck that guy.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #17
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
I miiight see what you're saying in DSJ, but absolutely not on Rondo. That guy fucked his own career and he can pound sand for all I care. One of the douchiest to ever play and his ego thought he was 10x the player he actually is, which is a very good defender and facilitator with a broke ass shot, carried to championships.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
DSJ ruined his own career IMO. Dallas is the only place he’s had the slightest bit of success. IDGAF about Rondo. Fuck that guy.

The NBA works where the type of career you have is dependent on how you start. He attempted to hurt DSJ's career and spread rumors that he was a malcontent and bitter and jealous. It hurt his career.

And you may not care about Rondo but since he left here I haven't heard anything about him....people actually enjoyed playing with him. He's taken on whatever role a team asks of him. Now its not about whether or not Rondo is a bad guy. Its just a consistent trend you see with Carlisle.....that ring had him here much longer than he probably even wanted to be here.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I miiight see what you're saying in DSJ, but absolutely not on Rondo. That guy fucked his own career and he can pound sand for all I care. One of the douchiest to ever play and his ego thought he was 10x the player he actually is, which is a very good defender and facilitator with a broke ass shot, carried to championships.
Yet, Rondo still gets hired by contenders...or teams that think they are contending.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #20
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The NBA works where the type of career you have is dependent on how you start. He attempted to hurt DSJ's career and spread rumors that he was a malcontent and bitter and jealous. It hurt his career.

And you may not care about Rondo but since he left here I haven't heard anything about him....people actually enjoyed playing with him. He's taken on whatever role a team asks of him. Now its not about whether or not Rondo is a bad guy. Its just a consistent trend you see with Carlisle.....that ring had him here much longer than he probably even wanted to be here.
DSJ had every opportunity in the world to flourish with the Knicks and he sucked. Same in Detroit. I like DSJ, but he seems like the kinda player that always got by with his athleticism and never really learned how to play basketball.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
DSJ had every opportunity in the world to flourish with the Knicks and he sucked. Same in Detroit. I like DSJ, but he seems like the kinda player that always got by with his athleticism and never really learned how to play basketball.
That still shouldn't detract from what Rick tried to do with this man.

Rick is bushleague and I'd never trust him again with any young talent.

Dude out here playing old ass grown man games with young players careers

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:06 AM   #22
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
It was obvious to us just watching games that Rick treated players like shit.

You never heard former players talking glowingly about Rick in general.

I bet there are a lot of former Mavs feeling validated right now. Rick's doghouse was the size of a mansion.
That's not true, lots of former Mavs players told other players that they should come here, and how much Rick helped their game.

Did seem to have a big dog house though.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:07 AM   #23
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
That still shouldn't detract from what Rick tried to do with this man.

Rick is bushleague and I'd never trust him again with any young talent.

Dude out here playing old ass grown man games with young players careers
And which NBA coaches didn't do that? Particularly those from a few years ago.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #24
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yet, Rondo still gets hired by contenders...or teams that think they are contending.
Baffles me still to this day. The moment his secondary skills I mentioned deteriorated, there's no rotational roster spot that makes sense to sign Rondo. He once was a solid player, NBA transformed to where jump shooting is key and he has no shot. That doesn't even get into the fit aspect of roster building and we know his history.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote