Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ice Lake found on Mars.....cool

28 July 2005

These images, taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on board ESA’s Mars Express spacecraft, show a patch of water ice sitting on the floor of an unnamed crater near the Martian north pole.

The HRSC obtained these images during orbit 1343 with a ground resolution of approximately 15 metres per pixel. The unnamed impact crater is located on Vastitas Borealis, a broad plain that covers much of Mars's far northern latitudes, at approximately 70.5° North and 103° East.
The crater is 35 kilometres wide and has a maximum depth of approximately 2 kilometres beneath the crater rim. The circular patch of bright material located at the centre of the crater is residual water ice.

This white patch is present all year round, as the temperature and pressure are not high enough to allow sublimation of water ice.

It cannot be frozen carbon dioxide since carbon dioxide ice had already disappeared from the north polar cap at the time the image was taken (late summer in the Martian northern hemisphere).

There is a height difference of 200 metres between the crater floor and the surface of this bright material, which cannot be attributed solely to water ice.

It is probably mostly due to a large dune field lying beneath this ice layer. Indeed, some of these dunes are exposed at the easternmost edge of the ice.

Faint traces of water ice are also visible along the rim of the crater and on the crater walls. The absence of ice along the north-west rim and walls may occur because this area receives more sunlight due to the Sun’s orientation, as highlighted in the perspective view.

The colour images were processed using the HRSC nadir (vertical view) and three colour channels. The perspective views were calculated from the digital terrain model derived from the stereo channels.

The 3D anaglyph images were created from the nadir channel and one of the stereo channels. Stereoscopic glasses are needed to view the 3D images Image resolution has been decreased for use on the internet.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ice Lake found on Mars.....cool

what does this mean other than we all need to remember to bring our swimsuits next time we vacation on Mars?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

It increases the probability that life (of some kind) has existed on Mars at some point.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Correction. I essentially guarantees that life on Mars is a reality.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It means, sikeymonkey, that we...are not...alone!

But of course, you already knew that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Ice Lake found on Mars.....cool

I'm no biologist, but how does the existence of water guarantee the existence of life?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I'm no biologist, but how does the existence of water guarantee the existence of life?
doesnt. But from what I learned in my biology class, it was the special qualities of water-- most specifically its ability to difuse cosmic radiation that allowed life to begin on Earth.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:31 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
doesnt. But from what I learned in my biology class, it was the special qualities of water-- most specifically its ability to difuse cosmic radiation that allowed life to begin on Earth.
I don't think anyone was around to confirm that.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
I don't think anyone was around to confirm that.
KG, don't question EL. She's a young and sprightful schoolgirl. You're an old man long done with college.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Although I agree with murph that kg_vet is old and past his prime I will tell you that no water mass ever discovered has been void of some kind of microorganism, bacterium, etc. The discovery of water virtually assures that life on Mars is a reality.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This is an honest question: "All other water masses" that you refer to...those are all on Earth right? Sooo, is it out of the realm of possibility to find a water mass on another planet devoid of life?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Although I agree with murph that kg_vet is old and past his prime I will tell you that no water mass ever discovered has been void of some kind of microorganism, bacterium, etc. The discovery of water virtually assures that life on Mars is a reality.
Yes, but EL is spriteful.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
This is an honest question: "All other water masses" that you refer to...those are all on Earth right? Sooo, is it out of the realm of possibility to find a water mass on another planet devoid of life?
El wrongo my friend. Bacterium have been found on meteor ice. Otherwise...certainly noone knows for sure, but water is required for all life as we know and define it. The overwhelming probability is that something lives in that water.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Fish!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Murph - You make a valid point. She is spriteful.

Doc - If I'm old, what does that....aw, never mind...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
El wrongo my friend. Bacterium have been found on meteor ice. Otherwise...certainly noone knows for sure, but water is required for all life as we know and define it. The overwhelming probability is that something lives in that water.
Doc, pardon my ignorance but isn't it possible that the meteor ice collected the bacterium as it traversed through the earth's atmosphere?
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Not likely....I do like the thinking of the box though.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not likely....I do like the thinking of the box though.
out of the box...sigh...he's so out of the box he can't even take the time to write the

ha.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #19
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Doc, the Mars meteor allegedly containing fossilized microorganisms was debunked very thoroughly. Any microorganism that is found on a meteor is undoubtedly due to contamination.

Although I agree that there just may be microorganisms at this particular site no one has ever proven that water on another world guarantees that life is present. We'll have to take samples and find out for sure. Of course, we'll have to make damned sure that we don't contaminate those samples by accidentally exporting bacteria that originated on Earth.

GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

GP - there are literally hundreds of hypoatmospheric cases, not one singular debunked case. Also, contamination theory is as uncertain as any other depending on who you ask or who you believe.

Anyways....I stand on the scientific basis of my original statement. Water almost guarantees life. Now, we can also debate whether or not that is actually water. Spectro analyses have been inaccurate before....especially millions of miles away.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #21
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you dudes know, Water is alive.

By the way, you can purch- er, eh, learn all about the benefits of living water at goionic.com
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #22
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I also suspect, that because this is polar ice, there is most likely a Yeti, or perhaps some kind of Wampa ice creature living beneath the surface.

Doc, this is definitely not cool, by the way. Aliens are bad. Especially any microscopic ones. Haven't you seen the movies?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #23
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Just curious- are there any bacteria on earth that could live in a place such as mars? We might try our luck at exporting bacteria over there to start life. It's certain to end in our ultimate doom, but not for another few billion years until they evolve and become more intelligent than we are. just a thought..
Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

I love having UL on this board.

Ninkobei - very interesting thought......in a hollywood kind of way.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #25
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Hey Ninkobei, if you ran into some of the people I run into on a daily basis here in good old Paris, Tx you might believe that some prokaryotic bacteria are already intellectually superior to many humans. If not intellectually superior they are definitely smarter.

As I believe Doc said earlier, we have found bacteria in EVERY imaginable and extreme ecosystem. Bacteria can live completely inert with a special protein coating that can protect them for thousands of years. Bacteria and Archaebacteria have been found in hot water heaters, hydrothermal vents (feeding on sulphur), ice, deep underground, and of course some mutated bacteria can even survive in pure chlorine (one of the most highly toxic chemicals there is).
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #26
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares if there is bacteria on Mars =X

it just means that an even more rediculous amount of money will be used on trying to discover something, right?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

I say we embrace our alien brothers.....and then do our best to steal their highly advanced technology and then either beat them to death with hammers or do our best to enslave them....lets reverse the whip from every SiFi book and movie!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #28
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all