Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #601
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree (except I thought he shot closer to 70%). My original comment was without the "oh wait". I edited my post to add the "oh wait" after looking up his % an seeing the ~50% years). I remembered him as being better than his % reflected. Must have been remembering the 60% years. Cause I actually remember being pleasantly surprised with his form. I was surprised his ft% was as low as it was, actually, cause I remember him hitting some big FTs over the years.

So basically, I was my own worst enemy in my prior post. Let the stats overwhelm my personal sports memories.

The issue overall was that damp was never the athletic finisher at the rim we needed, with dirk not filling that role at the PF position and never having a high-flying SF that could just rise up over people. Tyson filled that role.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 06-18-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #602
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember this Youtube Video related to Damp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uo80VicNJ0
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #603
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah he was a decent three point shooter for a big man.

Oh wait...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #604
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Yeah he was a decent three point shooter for a big man.

Oh wait...

Reality doesn't lie.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #605
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that people focus so much on the offense when comparing Chandler to Damp. Tyson can definitely catch a lob a lot better, but to me the real difference is on the defensive end. Chandler is the ultra, ultra rare big man that can defend the rim, hold his own (for the most part) against the truly big guys, guard the quicker PF's, and (most importantly) defend the hell out of the pick and roll.

Whether people ever want to admit it or not, Damp was a perfectly quality center for this team. But the defensive flexibility that Chandler brought this season was very special, and not easy to find.

There's no reason to hate Damp for not being Chandler. You should just thank your lucky stars that Chandler is who he is.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #606
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler is so damn quick that he can cover the asses/flaws of Terry/Barea etc
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #607
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Agree - we lucked out with Tyson. He exceeded all expectations by reverting to his pre-injury form.

Damp was by no means horrible. The guy was a starting caliber center. He just wasn't ultimately what we needed, both on offensive and defensive side of the ball. Again, because our PF is not an above-the-rim player (on offense or defense - dirk prefers to swipe at the ball (which he is great at and the refs blow the whistle way too fast without actually watching the play) as opposed to contesting every shot in the air), the perfect partner for dirk is an athletic big man that can move fast on help D and finish on offense above the rim.

That was a long sentence.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #608
sefant77
Guru

Still amazing:

http://www.okcthunderfans.com/vforum...Tyson-Chandler

(this was also all pre-Perkins)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #609
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Dampier and Howard for Chandler, Haywood, Butler, and Stevenson = Boom Winning.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #610
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Additional to this we also dumped Diops terrible contract, THATS pure awesomeness
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #611
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Add Stackhouse for Marion and Harris for Kidd...

Damp/Howard/Harris/Stack for Chandler/Kidd/Butler/Haywood/Stevenson = epic

Throw Ajinca for Peja into the mix, and our FO looks downright brilliant (especially when you consider our Land of Misfit Toys quality - a collection of guys the NBA gave up on...)

Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #612
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Additional to this we also dumped Diops terrible contract, THATS pure awesomeness
We also shed Carroll in all this...

Old 06-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #613
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not hate on dampier, but the fact that one year removed from the Mavs he couldn't get on the floor is telling.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-18-2011 at 11:36 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #614
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I do not hate on dampier, but the fact that one year removed from the Mavs he couldn't get on the floor is telling.
he could have helped Miami I would think, playing Udonis and Bosh front court for Miami did not work out well.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #615
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's funny that people focus so much on the offense when comparing Chandler to Damp. Tyson can definitely catch a lob a lot better, but to me the real difference is on the defensive end. Chandler is the ultra, ultra rare big man that can defend the rim, hold his own (for the most part) against the truly big guys, guard the quicker PF's, and (most importantly) defend the hell out of the pick and roll.
That last part is the key, isn't it? At the time I thought Damp for Chandler was pretty much just a lateral move. I never imagined how much his helpside D would do for our overall team D. It's really nothing short of amazing how much better we are defensively because of his ability to guard the pick and roll. Chandler's gotta be the 2nd best pick and roll defender in the league after Dwight Howard.

And as long as we're all pointing out how wrong we were at the time, we can't overlook this little golden nugget from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
this has to be considered the most disappointing offseason in recent history. I'm not holding my breath for some amazing trade to happen before the deadline, and I think our championship window has effectively closed. The "dustchip" and the free agent class this offseason was our Hail Mary pass, wing and a prayer, deus ex machina, last ditch effort to put this team back in the title picture, and it didn't work. The odds of Dirk Nowitzki winning a championship in Dallas are slim to nil at this point.
11 months later, I was looking at this image.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #616
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Damp made sense at the time because at that time the road to the ring went through Shaq, and Damp was one of the few centers who stood a chance against him. In fact, in '06, in the finals, he controlled Shaq very well. However, as the league changed, most teams played slimmer, quicker centers and Damp was horrible at covering them. Golden State one year in the playoffs, followed by Denver and Tyson himself in N.O....they all embarrassed Damp and were major reasons for our early exits.

We can only wonder now what would have happened if we had better center play during more of Dirk's prime.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #617
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
We also shed Carroll in all this...
Well, we dumped Diops contract via Carroll. First the swap of both player (with Diops increasing and Carrolls decreasing salary) and then dumping Carroll.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-19-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #618
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't for this trade, there wouldn't be a Dallas Maverick judging the Miss USA pageant.

Fact.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 06-19-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote