Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future
Default Andre Iguodala

I have been dreaming of him on the Mavs ever since it was rumored he might be attainable for quality expiring players.

The latest Espn article reminded me of Iggy, and how much I would love him here
Quote:
Why they think they're close: I mentioned L.A. beat Dallas by 35; what I left out was the Mavs beat the snot out of L.A. in Staples the first time the two teams met this season. Dallas has more size and athleticism this season with Shawn Marion and Drew Gooden, and its biggest defensive weaknesses (versus quick guards and running centers) are largely irrelevant against the Lakers. Moreover, the Mavs are second in the West as of Tuesday, meaning they have the inside track on drawing L.A. in a best-of-seven for the conference crown.

What they need to add: One more star. For the Mavs, it's less relevant what position a new acquisition plays, although obviously they're fairly well-stocked at power forward. But if the Mavs upgrade the starting spots of Erick Dampier, Josh Howard or J.J. Barea with an All-Star-caliber player, they would be a force to be reckoned with out West.

How could they pull off such a feat? More easily than you think, given the contracts they have and management's willingness to pay the luxury tax. Dampier's contract for next season isn't guaranteed, which basically makes him a $12.1 million expiring deal. Howard's contract, worth $10.9 million, also has just one season left. Thus, Dallas has the wherewithal to offer massive salary relief for a team looking to unload a star.

I mentioned Iguodala before and find the prospect of him as the Mavs' second banana tantalizing. Imagine him running the break for alley-oops with Jason Kidd, playing off Dirk Nowitzki in the halfcourt and checking the top opposing wing player. It's an enormous contract to swallow, and it might require eating Samuel Dalembert's deal as well, but the Mavs are one of the few teams that could do it. Other star players (Richard Hamilton, Bosh,Carlos Boozer, Jamison, Butler) also could be had with Dallas' expiring deals, making the Mavs potentially a major player come February.

Iggy is basically everything I think this team lacks at the SG. Size, athleticism, jumpshooting, defense. hes clutch and a bonafide second offensive option for a championship team. Hes got the ability to go off for 30 by himself, which is something every other real contending team has at their second option.

I believe he is actually available. I just hope we could put together a good enough offer and that Cuban is willing to spend the money.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=ykswsdc

That seems doable. Not yet giving up on the DUST Chip, and we give them a huge amount of savings. Carroll is a long contract to have to swallow, but when compared to the salary they're dumping from AI and Dalembert's contracts, it's nothing. It would've been much easier to do Josh/Gooden/Hump/Shawne, but that's no longer an option, so I think this is a viable trade. Carroll has to be in the deal without having to either surrender all of our depth, or a core player. Not to mention, Dalembert isn't bad himself, would be a legit back up 5 to Damp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I would do it even with Iggy and Brand. Dont think the Sixers would get more value from Brand than expirings.

Kidd
Iggy/Terry
Marion/Iggy
Dirk/Brand
Brand/Damp

Dustchip and an ugly payroll....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

If they wouldnt do Josh/trash for Iggy straight up, I would offer Josh+Damp for Iggy+Dalembert. An assload of savings for Philly, while we upgrade in two positions. Just depends of whether Cuban would want to spend that much money.

BEAT LA
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Dalembert-Damp is a downgrade
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

By the way, I'm kind of curious since both Damp and Josh are the topics of this trade discussion. Does anyone honestly think, or have considerable reason, that either Damp or Josh would come back once they are waived or their contract runs out with a team we trade them to?

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
sefant77
Guru

Damp i think so.

Howard depends, we could just give him the MLE, maybe he get somewhere more than that.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Damp i think so.

Howard depends, we could just give him the MLE, maybe he get somewhere more than that.
I only see Howard getting MLE money. I don't know for sure because I don't know the mentality of the other teams, but he doesn't seem to be a commodity in the eyes of other teams.

The perfect situation for me would be:

Gooden/Josh/Carroll for Iggy and Dalembert

Damp later on for Kaman

Resign Josh during the offseason for MLE money.

Now one thing I realize is that if we move Damp for Kaman. We'd have a 5 line up of Kaman/Dalembert/Dirk. That being the case, would we really need to resign him?

But honestly, if Philly is looking for the most savings, I think we are obviously the best candidate, I can't see either team passing up the opportunity.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

McGrady contract.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
McGrady contract.
Damn, you've got a point. If that were the case, then we've got no hope.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
McGrady contract.
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
McGrady contract.
I don't think the Rockets would want to take both Iggy and Dalembert.
Cuban might be willing to go a little deeper into his wallet.

BEAT LA
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
sefant77
Guru

Iggy has a reasonable contract and Dalembert is next year an expiring and Yao could play just 30-32min and sit out b2b. Thats what the Rockets should have done since years, get a real good backup.

Brooks
Iggy
Ariza/Battier
Scola/Landry
Yao/Dalembert
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Iguodala makes all kinds of sense for the Mavs. He's probably the second best player who could conceivably get traded this season (after Bosh), but he'd arguably be a better fit that Chris, and would unarguably would be a less risky target since he wouldn't have the option of signing with another team next season.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

god that would be sweet. I've been telling my buddies for years that i wish the mavs could somehow trade for Iguodala. talk about wet dream
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

add Brand instead of Dalembert to the group, and pray for his health -- you'd have to add JJB as well.

Kidd, Iggy, Marion, Dirk, Brand
with Terry, TThomas, Roddy, and Damp on the bench.

I think you could compete with the Lakers and Celtics at that point.

It would be awful expensive though, and I have no idea on the health of Brand.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
sefant77
Guru

Brand is a gamble.

He can do a Michael Redd or he can play the next 4 years like 90% of the games...

But just imagine him in old shape in that S5...

And i think it wont be SO expensive if you can dump Carroll. Then we got rid of all that medium size contracts (3-6mio). You have 5 players eating up like 65mio but all you need more is 5 more 1 mio veterans and some rookies...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
add Brand instead of Dalembert to the group, and pray for his health -- you'd have to add JJB as well.

Kidd, Iggy, Marion, Dirk, Brand
with Terry, TThomas, Roddy, and Damp on the bench.

I think you could compete with the Lakers and Celtics at that point.

It would be awful expensive though, and I have no idea on the health of Brand.
I wouldn't mind doing this trade even with Brand and if it meant giving up the DUST chip. Iggy is pretty much the best case scenatio for the dust chip, outside of Lebron or Wade (pipedreams).

We could even do something like:
Damp, Howard, Terry for Iggy, Brand, and Dalembert.

Dallas Lineup:

Dalembert / Brand
Dirk / Brand / Gooden
Marion / Najera
Iggy / Ross
Kidd / JJB / Robo

This would be like trading Damp and Howard's expiring for Iggy and Dally'c contract, then exchanging Terry's shorter less expensive and less risky contract for Brand's.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 01-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I wouldn't mind doing this trade even with Brand and if it meant giving up the DUST chip. Iggy is pretty much the best case scenatio for the dust chip, outside of Lebron or Wade (pipedreams).

We could even do something like:
Damp, Howard, Terry for Iggy, Brand, and Dalembert.

Dallas Lineup:

Dalembert / Brand
Dirk / Brand / Gooden
Marion / Najera
Iggy / Ross
Kidd / JJB / Robo

This would be like trading Damp and Howard's expiring for Iggy and Dally'c contract, then exchanging Terry's shorter less expensive and less risky contract for Brand's.
No argument from me.

I'd rather keep JET's shooting ability coming off the bench, but I wouldn't turn if down if offered this way. I'd also move JJB, because Iggy can drive to the bucket now, and JJB is a slow down on Robo.

I don't see it happening, but who knows.

I agree with Iggy being a best case scenario for the DUST chip.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

would love to see Iggy here but i don't think the Mavs take on Brand under any circumstance. Dalembert maybe, no way to Brand. as someone mentioned above there are bound to be better offers for Iguodala. the Rockets could offer McGrady's contract AND cheap young talent, something we have precious little of. we would have to take back another bad contract. Unlike Gooden, J-Ho and Damp only become more valuable as time goes by so i think the front office only does a deal that's a clear upgrade and doesn't cripple future flexibility. Iggy is definitely a long shot. even if we were inclined to include Roddy or the Damp chip (which we won't) in a deal there's no guarantee the Sixers would even do that. find it hard to believe they're so desperate they would just give their best player away.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Just a nuts idea. Lets make this team defensive monster, Rick can do it.

Bring in Samuel Dalembert + Andre Iguodala
Deal Jason Terry, Drew Gooden, Jose Juan Barea, Matt Carroll and/or Quinton Ross + everything it takes (cash+draft picks), there must be 3rd team involved but Donnie can do it.

Damp/Dalembert/Nowitzki
Nowitzki/Marion/Najera/Singleton/Thomas
Marion/Howard/Singleton/Thomas
Iguodala/Howard
Kidd/Beaubois

Nowitzki + Howard + Iguodala + Marion will give us plenty of offence and finally we would get some points from fast breaks. Bench wouldn't be so weak is it seems when Howard would be willing to be starting from bench with earning 35 minutes (and theres quite many good veterand out there to improve our bench after this trade + trading deadline will bring more).

It would be just sick to see Damp + Dalembert going after every shot without caring to be in foul trouble. Marion + Iggy + Howard showing hard-nosed defense 48 minutes to every star there is from PG to SF. Teams should have to win against us with outside shots. Because theres no way anybody can beat us inside with this roster playing zone defense.

And what we have to lose? This roster will match better with Lakers/Spurs/Cavaliers (I'm quite sure they will win East) then this one we have right now. Next summer we would have:

Jason Kidd $8,500,000
Andre Iguodala $12,345,250
Shawn Marion $7,305,500
Samuel Dalembert $12,200,000 (exp)
Eduardo Najera $2,800,000
Rodrigue Beaubois $1,156,080
----------------------------
Total 44,2 + Nowitzki willing to take smaller paycheck.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post
Just a nuts idea. Lets make this team defensive monster, Rick can do it.

Bring in Samuel Dalembert + Andre Iguodala
Deal Jason Terry, Drew Gooden, Jose Juan Barea, Matt Carroll and/or Quinton Ross + everything it takes (cash+draft picks), there must be 3rd team involved but Donnie can do it.

Damp/Dalembert/Nowitzki
Nowitzki/Marion/Najera/Singleton/Thomas
Marion/Howard/Singleton/Thomas
Iguodala/Howard
Kidd/Beaubois

Nowitzki + Howard + Iguodala + Marion will give us plenty of offence and finally we would get some points from fast breaks. Bench wouldn't be so weak is it seems when Howard would be willing to be starting from bench with earning 35 minutes (and theres quite many good veterand out there to improve our bench after this trade + trading deadline will bring more).

It would be just sick to see Damp + Dalembert going after every shot without caring to be in foul trouble. Marion + Iggy + Howard showing hard-nosed defense 48 minutes to every star there is from PG to SF. Teams should have to win against us with outside shots. Because theres no way anybody can beat us inside with this roster playing zone defense.

And what we have to lose? This roster will match better with Lakers/Spurs/Cavaliers (I'm quite sure they will win East) then this one we have right now. Next summer we would have:

Jason Kidd $8,500,000
Andre Iguodala $12,345,250
Shawn Marion $7,305,500
Samuel Dalembert $12,200,000 (exp)
Eduardo Najera $2,800,000
Rodrigue Beaubois $1,156,080
----------------------------
Total 44,2 + Nowitzki willing to take smaller paycheck.
I love that, I was thinking something similar as well. Especially since Terry has been garbage as of late. I wouldn't like the idea of parting ways with him, but I'd still do it. Not to mention we could still sign a decent 10-12th man with roster room if necessary.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Sixers wouldn't take on Carroll AND Terry since they're trying to shed salary. If it comes down to picks and future prospects, a lot of other teams have us beat. But if we want to finally get over the hump and finally get a true all-star caliber SG to go along with Dirk and Kidd, then we'll need to give up the Howard + Damp combo and take back either Brand or Dalembert with Iggy.

This is our chance to. Not many all-star caliber SG's who can play D and have no baggage find themselves on the trade market. We need to jump on this while we have the chance (if Philly is indeed looking to shed those contracts.)

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd push for the Gooden/Carroll combo over Damp. I still maintain that Damp is an underrated contributor on this team, both on offense and defense, and would hate to downgrade the position by taking on a lesser player (Dalembert) or an oft-injured, out-of-position player (Brand) in place of him. However, I think there's zero doubt that Howard for Iguodala is a major upgrade at starting SG for the Mavs, and either Dalembert or Brand would be an upgrade at the backup C/PF. So toss in $3MM cash if you have to, dangle JJB as "young talent [with a horrible +/-, but don't look at that]," swallow the big contract of the underachieving big man...just get it done, Cubes! That's the move that finally gives Dirk a legitimate sidekick, and gives us a chance at a ring.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Sixers wouldn't take on Carroll AND Terry since they're trying to shed salary.
My idea was more to trade Terry to 3rd team (who need badly some 3pt shooting, like Memphis, Chicago, Minnesota, ...) for some good contract to 76ers. Something like this:
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5385721

Dallas gets:
Andre Iguodala
Samuel Dalembert

Chicago gets:
Jason Terry
Quinton Ross
+ draft picks from Dallas (for example 2010 second round from Portland)

76ers gets:
Matt Carroll
Drew Gooden
Jose Barea and/or Tim Thomas/James Singleton
Jerome James
Tyrus Thomas
+ cash

And still we can use our 2.9 million trade exception to make this trade work.

But still only a dream.

Last edited by FiZth; 01-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
My idea was more to trade Terry to 3rd team (who need badly some 3pt shooting, like Memphis, Chicago, Minnesota, ...) for some good contract to 76ers. Something like this:
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5385721

Dallas gets:
Andre Iguodala
Samuel Dalembert

Chicago gets:
Jason Terry
Quinton Ross
+ draft picks from Dallas (for example 2010 second round from Portland)

76ers gets:
Matt Carroll
Drew Gooden
Jose Barea and/or Tim Thomas/James Singleton
Jerome James
Tyrus Thomas
+ cash

We will use our 2.9 million trade exception.

But still only a dream.
I get why we do it, I get why Philly does it, they're getting young talent/expirings. But I have no clue why Chicago does it. Of course, I have no clue what they want from this trade deadline, if anything.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #27
FiZth

Quote:
I get why we do it, I get why Philly does it, they're getting young talent/expirings. But I have no clue why Chicago does it. Of course, I have no clue what they want from this trade deadline, if anything.
Jep. Chicago was just some example, not so good one. Just they need 3 point shooting and somebody to help Rose out. Terry would be ideal. Connecting people, great locker room present and so on. I just took this one and tried to mixed something up:

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse....mthrees-tz.jpg

Offcourse I think they can get something better for James + Thomas. Still lets hope Donnie can make someting to work.

Last edited by FiZth; 01-15-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
badfish22
Golden Member

Terry would be a great fit in Chicago actually. He could fill the gaping hole that Ben Gordan left, and he could be a veteran presence in that young locker room

BEAT LA
Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #29
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

That makes sense, Fizth. I like that rendition as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #30
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Jep. Chicago was just some example, not so good one. Just they need 3 point shooting and somebody to help Rose out. Terry would be ideal. Connecting people, great locker room present and so on. I just took this one and tried to mixed something up:

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse....mthrees-tz.jpg

Offcourse I think they can get something better for James + Thomas. Still lets hope Donnie can make someting to work.
One thing I noticed from that chart is that other than Orlando, who're known for 3's, and Denver, who're known for taking it to the rim, all the contending teams are in the center. Balance is what makes teams good, but that's not what we're discussing. Hopefully the Mavs FO is trying to make season changing moves as we speak.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #31
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I think Hamilton is a better fit, IGGY is a better player but he isn't a very good jumper shooter he is a great slasher though. We have guys who need to pound the ball the ball to be successful Dirk, JJB, and kidd to an extent having a shooter like hamilton would really help this team.

Either way if we get either I will be stoked
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
One thing I noticed from that chart is that other than Orlando, who're known for 3's, and Denver, who're known for taking it to the rim, all the contending teams are in the center. Balance is what makes teams good, but that's not what we're discussing. Hopefully the Mavs FO is trying to make season changing moves as we speak.
Denver and SA are third and 4rth in the league at three point shooting %, we are 15th
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #33
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
NBA At 2: Mavs, Sixers Trade Talk

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 1/15/10 1:11 PM ET | 3685 times read
Increase Font Size
Decrease Font Size
Adjust font size:

Let's play connect the dots for a moment.

Last week we heard from a number of sources that the Philadelphia 76ers had offered the Houston Rockets a package of Samuel Dalembert and Andre Iguodala for the expiring contract of Tracy McGrady. The Rockets weren't interested, partially because of the fact that Iguodala has a huge long-term contract that Houston didn't want to commit themselves to.

Trading Iguodala and Dalembert amounts to a salary dump for the Sixers, who would stand to gain a $27 million reduction in player expense next summer if such a deal were to go down. They would then have roughly $16 million in cap space to spend on a top free agent next summer depending on where the cap falls, and with guys like Elton Brand, Thaddeus Young, Marreese Speights and a ton of young and improving talent in place, someone like Rudy Gay might give the Sixers serious consideration . . .certainly ahead of the hapless New York Knicks. Moving Iguodala and Dalembert as a package for expiring contracts make a great deal of sense for the Sixers, so why not continue to offer that deal around? In fact, why not make another call to Texas?

The Dallas Mavericks are a team in need. They need better production at the center position and they need a legitimate second star to play alongside Dirk Nowitzki. They also have an owner who cares more about winning than paying the luxury tax or committing to long-term deals. Frankly, Andre Iguodala is precisely the kind of player they need. He'd be the first star shooting guard on the team since Michael Finley left, and he would give them size and speed on the wing with Shawn Marion. The Mavericks also happen to have a pair of contracts to offer that could come off the books this summer, just as McGrady's would have.

Erick Dampier has another year left on his contract, but in order for next season to kick in he has to meet some incentives. One of those incentives is that he must play 28 minutes per game, something that is extremely unlikely. He hasn't averaged 28 minutes per game since he played for the Golden State Warriors in 2003-04 and is only at 26.6 for the 2009-10 season. You can bet the Mavs aren't going to allow him to get to 28, meaning his contract expires next summer. In addition, Josh Howard has a team option year for next season, meaning his contract can expire, as well, if the team doesn't choose to extend him. Granted, Josh is coming off ankle surgery, but he's also having a miserable season, one that won't inspire the Mavs to jump on an option that would pay him close to $12 million next season.

Andre Iguodala would be the legitimate second option behind Nowitzki, and would give the Mavs another player who can get to the rim at will and who is effective in the half-court set. If you've seen the Mavs in the half-court set lately, you understand why they're struggling. They brought in Shawn Marion, but aren't running the kind of offense where he can flourish. Adding Iguodala would give Dallas that premier scoring threat at the two and a strong defensive presence on the opposite end. He might just make them the contenders they so desperately want to be. And that's before we talk about upgrading the center position for the next two seasons with Dalembert.

Dalembert isn't a radical upgrade over Dampier, but he is an upgrade, nonetheless, at roughly same price. First of all, he can hit a free throw . . that alone makes him worth the swap. He is as good a scorer, a better rebounder, and better shot-blocker. Frankly, with Jason Kidd feeding him, he'd probably be more effective on the offensive end, as well.

Iguodala represents a huge financial investment, but we all know Mark Cuban isn't shy about that. If it means getting the Mavericks one step closer to the championship, Cuban will write the check. If the Sixers are serious about finding cap space for next summer, they're on the right track in talking to Texas . . .they just need to make a call that reaches the northern part of the state.

Billups Looking For Consistency

When the curtain went down on the Western Conference Finals last season the Denver Nuggets were beaten, but the future looked bright. Sure, they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers, who went on to win the championship, but they fought hard and they brought their core group back this season to try and take things all the way. Most pundits picked them as one of the few (well, two) teams who might actually challenge the Lakers for Western Conference supremacy, but so far they've been anything but dominant. The biggest factor in the Nuggets' rise to the ranks of the contenders was the arrival of Chauncey Billups, who recently told 104.3 The Fan in Denver that his team lacks the consistency they had last season.

"I think right now we are an inconsistent team. Especially on the road, we're very inconsistent. Those are things that are gonna have to change and gonna have to change fast if we want to have the kind of season and postseason that we had last year. It's a lot of our guys' first time having that target on them. Last year we were able to catch everybody by surprise, go into different buildings and surprise them, this year we're everybody's big game. I talked about that at the start of the season but guys didn't understand it or understand what I meant by that. Now it's safe to say that they know what I mean by that. It's a different way you've gotta play and a different commitment that you gotta have. It takes some adjusting to. Some teams do it, some teams don't. Right now we haven't been that great at it but we still have an opportunity. We're still right there with all the other teams and we can still take that next step."

Injuries have played a role, of course, with both Billups and Carmelo Anthony missing stretches of games. On the positive side, though, Billups' absence has allowed Ty Lawson to get more minutes. Billups says he knew in preseason that Lawson was ready to play at the NBA level.

"I knew it early. I knew it early in the preseason. He has a gear that nobody else on the team has, and really there are not very many players in the league that have the gear that he has. When you have the ability to do that and you can play with the poise that he has, it's a difference-maker. I think that when guys are out there playing with him they should be trying to get down the court as fast as possible because he's going to get the ball and push it. He's a pass first point guard and he's always looking to make the right play. I knew very early on with his demeanor and his willingness to study the game and listen and pay attention to small details that he was going to be an asset to us."

Billups has also had a noticeable impact on J.R. Smith, who was somewhat of a loose cannon, often in George Karl's dog house, prior to Billups' arrival, but last season emerged as somewhat of a leader on the team.

"I tell J.R. all the time, just don't settle," says Billups. "He's such a great shooter and shot maker that he can make bad shots. But he's streaky as well. As a streaky shooter, you gotta know when you're on and when you're not. He has the ability to attack and get into the lane and make plays for others. I don't think he uses it as much as he probably should or could. I'm trying to get him to recognize when you're not on, you can still have an effect on the game. A lot of players that are great shooters, when they're not shooting well they're like alright not tonight. I just didn't have it. I'm trying to get J.R. to believe that OK, you might not be shooting well tonight, but you can get into the lane, people can't stop you, you're big, you're strong, you can get Nene some dunks, you can get Bird (Chris Anderson) a lob, you can get Aaron (Afflalo) some kick outs. You gotta be able to expand your game like that."

Finally, Billups talked about the importance of having home court advantage in the playoffs.

"As we saw last season during our run, the biggest thing that we had going was our building was incredible, home court was incredible for us. We didn't lose a series until we didn't have home court. We went up there and we stole home court back, but when we have our home court, you see how we play at home. Sometimes it's disappointing that everybody doesn't understand the importance of a Minnesota Timberwolves game, or a Sacramento Kings game or a Memphis Grizzlies game or a Clippers game, when they were struggling. They don't know the importance of those games and they just feel like we can win them in the fourth quarter. That fourth quarter, the other team has confidence and now it's a dogfight."

It's been a dogfight for the Nuggets, but the good news is they're healthy now and only half a game behind the Mavericks for the second seed in the West. If they can stay healthy and put together a second-half run, they can have that all-important second seed, and put off a potential meeting with the Lakers until the Western Conference Finals.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14994

Wouldn't be a bad trade

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Yeah it just makes tons of sense. Then bring Damp back in the off-season for another run. This may be our chance to finally get that 2 guard we need....and he's only 25.

Dalembert
Dirk
Marion
Iggy
Kidd

That's a championship caliber starting lineup.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Not a bad trade at all.

I'd say same as the article, Iggy > Josh. Dalembert slightly > Damp.

If all things pan out perfectly for Dallas, we could do this:

Do the trade, play this season out. Resign Damp when he's let go this offseason. Use the MLE on Josh if he turns things around in Philly, or just use it on someone else. The trade would make a beast of a line up, if only JET could stop his drought.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #36
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not a bad trade at all.

Do the trade, play this season out. Resign Damp when he's let go this offseason. Use the MLE on Josh if he turns things around in Philly, or just use it on someone else. The trade would make a beast of a line up, if only JET could stop his drought.
that statement couldn't be any more right

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #37
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
would love to see Iggy here but i don't think the Mavs take on Brand under any circumstance. Dalembert maybe, no way to Brand. as someone mentioned above there are bound to be better offers for Iguodala. the Rockets could offer McGrady's contract AND cheap young talent, something we have precious little of. we would have to take back another bad contract. Unlike Gooden, J-Ho and Damp only become more valuable as time goes by so i think the front office only does a deal that's a clear upgrade and doesn't cripple future flexibility. Iggy is definitely a long shot. even if we were inclined to include Roddy or the Damp chip (which we won't) in a deal there's no guarantee the Sixers would even do that. find it hard to believe they're so desperate they would just give their best player away.
I am getting very close to the point where future flexibility has to be damned.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #38
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I am getting very close to the point where future flexibility has to be damned.
I'll be honest, I don't know much about Brand. Is he a 5? and is he worth destroying any financial flexibility?

Quote:
Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #39
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice

Quote:
Not a bad trade at all.

This deal would take a lot of pressure off of Jet. He believes he has to be a robin on this team, and that is simply not his role. This deal would probably bring his minutes down a little, as well as make him feel much more comfortable with his sixth man role.
RoddyB#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #40
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

just remember if we trade Damp we can't resign him for more than MLE this summer. we can't get J-Ho& Damp back here even if we wanted to if we trade them both.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote