Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Post Why I don't like Baseball

Here is a list of things what I think is wrong with baseball:

1. No salary cap. Some teams only spend around $12 Mil on their roster. While others spend $100 Mil and beyond. As a result there are always those few teams which will always be good. And there will be those teams which will always be bad. Baseball needs more parity and it needs a salary cap.

2. Excruciatingly long regular season. 162 games?!! Not only that, division opponents play each other like 15 times!! To fix this (a) Reduce divisional games (b) Make everyone play everybody else (i.e. increase inter-league games)....In other words I want more a NBA type schedule...

Lets take the Yankees as an example. Its simple. Have them play:

4 Division foes x 12 = 48
9 other AL teams x 6 = 54
16 NL teams x 3 = 48
Total = 150 games

3. A very exclusive playoffs. Only four teams from each league make it?!! Baseball needs to add two more wild-card spots and play an extra round giving a bye to the top two teams [like in football]. Every year good teams get left out the post-season.
For example, the Rangers (88-74) and the Tigers (87-75) got left out in the AL. The Giants (88-74) and the Marlins (87-75) got left out in the NL. IMO, these teams could have been good enough to win it all. At the very least they would have been competitive in the playoffs. We'll never know now...
Also, by increasing the field you also generate more interest throughout the season. More teams are in the hunt toward the end of the season. There is more excitement. More fans come to games. More fans watch games. The increasing ticket sales and ratings ----> $$$.

What do you all think?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Salary cap in BBall won't work because the TV dollars aren't the leagues. Each team gets their TV money, and only the "baseball" revenue is shared. Hence the Brewers who have a $6M a year TV deal can't compete with the Yankees who have a $200M a year TV deal. Lets face it TV pays for viewership, and unless this becomes league dollars -- you will never have equality.

Players do not want the Yankees and Boston to stop spending. They get more money. Owners do not want to give up their cash cow, and there is no way to make them.

If you do what they are doing now, they are doing some revenue sharing when the money reaches a certain amount. This gets them closer, but is no where near equality between teams.

I love baseball, but the changes you would make seem like a good idea to me.

Personally I think the gates, parking, concessions, and TV should be shared equally within the league, and the merchandise should be all the owners. IE the owner who puts together the better team, and the better marketing makes more money, but getting fans to buy more merchandise. Of course it would kill the Yankees ownership, etc., but not horribly since they lead sales of merchandise as well.

Follow the money, and you can find answers for most things.

With that said, a 150 games season is cool. Not sure your numbers will add up though when some division teams have 4 some 5 and some 6 in the division. So you would have to restructure. 3 games against the other league -- who gets home field? etc.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Ye never said wiser words.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Salary cap in BBall won't work because the TV dollars aren't the leagues. Each team gets their TV money, and only the "baseball" revenue is shared. Hence the Brewers who have a $6M a year TV deal can't compete with the Yankees who have a $200M a year TV deal. Lets face it TV pays for viewership, and unless this becomes league dollars -- you will never have equality.

Players do not want the Yankees and Boston to stop spending. They get more money. Owners do not want to give up their cash cow, and there is no way to make them.

If you do what they are doing now, they are doing some revenue sharing when the money reaches a certain amount. This gets them closer, but is no where near equality between teams.

I love baseball, but the changes you would make seem like a good idea to me.

Personally I think the gates, parking, concessions, and TV should be shared equally within the league, and the merchandise should be all the owners. IE the owner who puts together the better team, and the better marketing makes more money, but getting fans to buy more merchandise. Of course it would kill the Yankees ownership, etc., but not horribly since they lead sales of merchandise as well.

With that said, a 150 games season is cool. Not sure your numbers will add up though when some division teams have 4 some 5 and some 6 in the division. So you would have to restructure. 3 games against the other league -- who gets home field? etc.
Point well taken about the salary cap being impractical in baseball right now. IMO, they really do need to make those TV dollars the league's so they actually have revenue sharing and can institute a salary cap [and finally get some parity!]. It just saddens me to see a team such as Toronto trade away an ace like Roy Halladay because they can't afford to keep him...

With regards to the inter-league games, you simply alternate the home-field. Ex: the first year the Yankees go to St. Louis to play the Cardinals. The next year the Cardinals go to New York to play the Yankees and so on...

You are right - you would have to restructure the divisions. I didn't mention all this because my post was already long enough. But, for example, they could move the Houston Astros from the NL Central to the AL West. This would even out the AL-NL imbalance. Also all the divisions would have 5 teams then. And your schedule could look like:

4 division foes x 12 = 48
10 other league foes x 6 = 60
14 inter-league foes x 3 = 42
Total = 150

[This is hardly a final version. It assumes that every AL team doesn't play one NL team and vice-versa. The details of how this would be done could be quite complicated...]
Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

They are too big of wusses to play in the rain
It's too f*&$in hot in Texas to watch baseball
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball is the greatest of all sports.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like baseball because it's not basketball.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Baseball is the greatest of all sports.
Absolutely. There is no greater sport.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

baseball blows.

Mavericks
NFL Football
NCAA Football
Non-Mav NBA
College Basketball
Hockey

Golf

Baseball

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after commercial breaks and all, baseball games are the longest of any major sport in the USA, even longer than football games, aren't they?

x160+

I guess the good thing is that you can turn on your TV at any given time and there'll be a game on. If you dislike it very much (I'd say hate, but I reserve that word for Gaelic Football, which I tried to watch for a month and could. not. figure. out. the. rules. for. to save my life) then it's just plain awful.

The mechanics of the game are so slow. I get it, it's mind games of sort, am I gonna throw you a hittable ball, am I trying to get you to swing..... I can't stand it. I even went to 2 World Series games some years ago... and I couldn't have been more bored. It consisted of me falling asleep and being awakened by the crowd during big plays.

That's all I'm gonna say. I know so many love it, for whatever reason, but I cannot wrap my head around why it is appealing. At all. Ever.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get into the mental aspect of the game, then there is a good chance you won't appreciate it. Many aren't capable.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I love baseball but America is about Football first and foremost.

My list is as follows:

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Tennis
NCAA Football
Hockey
NCAA Baseball
NCAA Basketball
Old 12-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

..and that's because America, in general, isn't intelligent enough to properly appreciate baseball.

Plus, it's very, very difficult to compare fan appeal of the two sports when there is such a huge disparity in the number of games.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I fully assure you I'm smart enough to understand the game. I just don't enjoy it very much.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

I didn't say that you weren't.. Just saying that most that many that don't enjoy it don't understand it..and many that don't understand it probably aren't capable of doing so. There are those that could if they wanted to but don't want to.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well I fully understand it - fully. I just like football better. To each their own.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

that's fine..and I understand that one would like another sport more than another.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I didn't say that you weren't.. Just saying that most that many that don't enjoy it don't understand it..and many that don't understand it probably aren't capable of doing so. There are those that could if they wanted to but don't want to.
Makes sense. And I appreciate what goes into it as well. Kinda like the way a person can appreciate a movie that won an Oscar, but not be entertained by it.

Tags
juevos bonitos