Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #401
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

If portland and Dame split, what does it take to get Grant? Certainly if Dame goes, he won't stay.

If Dame stays, and Blazers stay at 5 and Mavs at 10, what does ot take to swap picks?
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #402
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Nets let Igor go. Bring him back.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #403
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Nets let Igor go. Bring him back.
As HC or go get Laso. Fk J Kidd. Get someone who will have Luka's ear and maybe even get onto him.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:53 PM   #404
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Need to look hard at Paul Reed this off-season. He might be priced out of Philly with his playoff play.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:44 PM   #405
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Man the nuggets have played the best defense I've ever seen out them

Gordon, KCP and Brown have been fantastic on that end if floor. Gordon can practically switch 1 through 5

Which makes me wonder about long guys similar to him in J.Grant or J.Issac

I'd kill to get one of those tall long switchable defenders on this roster
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #406
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Man the nuggets have played the best defense I've ever seen out them

Gordon, KCP and Brown have been fantastic on that end if floor. Gordon can practically switch 1 through 5

Which makes me wonder about long guys similar to him in J.Grant or J.Issac

I'd kill to get one of those tall long switchable defenders on this roster
Wasn't Gordon somebody many thought we should target 2 off seasons ago? He has the type of physicality the Mavs desperately need.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:58 AM   #407
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Some more draft thoughts:

-Kobe Bufkin, Brice Sensabaugh, Keyonte George.... all of these dudes can ball.

-There isn't a huge difference between having the 5th pick in this draft and having the 15th pick.

-Wemby is a freak. Scoot and Amen are next level athletes. Miller has an advanced, translatable game. After that it's all up in the air.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:59 AM   #408
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Some more draft thoughts:

-Kobe Bufkin, Brice Sensabaugh, Keyonte George.... all of these dudes can ball.

-There isn't a huge difference between having the 5th pick in this draft and having the 15th pick.

-Wemby is a freak. Scoot and Amen are next level athletes. Miller has an advanced, translatable game. After that it's all up in the air.
Well if the Mavs are looking at forwards lke Whitmore, Walker, Hendricks there may be a big difference. I really hope Dame and portland split. A SnT of Wood for Grant and swapping 10 for 23 seems about right. Especially if TJD is on the board at 23. Blazers add 2 top 10 picks to Sharpe and simon is a good start on rebuild.

Hardy was rated higher than scoot in some rankings coming out of HS. Whether he is or not who knows but probably not. anyway, The Mavs seemed to get lucky in landing Hardy. Are any G-League Elite guys undervalued. L. Miller seems raw but if he is in the 20's or later..... 6'11" wing makes me feel like he might be soft but landed 10-11 rebounds for Elite.

https://theboxandone.substack.com/p/...draft-scouting
Old 05-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #409
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know why but in the redrafts, Jarace is falling. I've seen him anywhere from 7-15 in the last week.

Love me some Hendricks, although he seems like a less-defensive Jaren Jackson

Jarace is the perfect Bam/Paul Reed/Kevon Looney type

I get why that kind of guy may not be a top pick-- Looney was 30th, Bam was 14th, Reed was 58th. But a dude that can set mean picks, roll for oops, defend 3/4/5, and not make a ton of mistakes in terms of team defense?

In 2022-2023 the difference between 30th and even just 25th in rebounding would have been 6 games and a 6 seed instead of missing the playoffs.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-02-2023 at 01:45 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:44 PM   #410
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dont know why but in the redrafts, Jarace is falling. I've seen him anywhere from 7-15 in the last week.

Love me some Hendricks, although he seems like a less-defensive Jaren Jackson

Jarace is the perfect Bam/Paul Reed/Kevon Looney type

I get why that kind of guy may not be a top pick-- Looney was 30th, Bam was 14th, Reed was 58th. But a dude that can set mean picks, roll for oops, defend 3/4/5, and not make a ton of mistakes in terms of team defense?

In 2022-2023 the difference between 30th and even just 25th in rebounding would have been 6 games and a 6 seed instead of missing the playoffs.

Luka
Kyrie
Green
Jerami Grant
Trayce Jackson-Davis

would be a thing of beauty
Old 05-03-2023, 02:49 AM   #411
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I still wouldnt mind seeing us trade back with Nets.
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

Young team to build around
Luka/Hardy/Green/Murray/Lively
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #412
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

I would be with you, but

A) If we lose the pick, then this is all meaningless. It's morbid, but we're also more likely to lose the pick (20.2%) than move up to top four (13.9%)

B) If we end up #1, you take and keep Wemby. No question

C) If we end up 2/3 I think you trade back a bit. Maybe trade 2nd pick for 9 and 16 (Utah)

D) If we end up #4 I would keep it. The entire board is available and there are some killer players in that 4-9 range.

E) If we end up #10 and Walker/Hendricks is on the board I would keep the pick and take them. I get the idea that Walker will be there at 10 and he would be an absolute steal at 10 and would address half of our offseason issues.

F) If we are #10 and there is no Walker/Hendricks. There are a ton of solid two-way guys all the way down to #45. We potentially have two stars. We just have no quality workhorse guys. I would 10 for 21/22 with the Nets or 12/37 with the Thunder.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-03-2023 at 09:44 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #413
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

not sure why any team would do that, thats more nfl. maybe if it was the number 1 or 2 pick, but not for the 10th pick
Old 05-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #414
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
not sure why any team would do that, thats more nfl. maybe if it was the number 1 or 2 pick, but not for the 10th pick
You're probably right but I really do like Lively for us because he is exactly what we need at center.
The concern with him is he could either be the next Tyson Chandler/Rudy Gobert, or the next Moses Brown/Willie Cauley-Stein.

But damn, 7'1 with 7'8 WS and pretty athletic and able to switch out on smaller guards is something I'd love to see anchor our D. Won't get much, if any offense from him though other than put backs and lobs.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-03-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #415
sig

NBA draft net (not my favorite draft site) has Mavs taking PF GG Jackson from South Car. t 10 over Walker and whitmore. they put Hendricks at 4. Jackson may have the talent and phyicals tools but seems to have a lot higher bust factor.

After Mavs traded for KI, Nets added Johnson and Bridges from suns. Would a deal of 10 for 21 be acceptable if the Nets sent DFS back for Bullock and McGee or some other salary match? IMO, there will be polished college players on the board in the 20's or a young raw center.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #416
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post
NBA draft net (not my favorite draft site) has Mavs taking PF GG Jackson from South Car. t 10 over Walker and whitmore. they put Hendricks at 4. Jackson may have the talent and phyicals tools but seems to have a lot higher bust factor.

After Mavs traded for KI, Nets added Johnson and Bridges from suns. Would a deal of 10 for 21 be acceptable if the Nets sent DFS back for Bullock and McGee or some other salary match? IMO, there will be polished college players on the board in the 20's or a young raw center.

I could 100% see the Mavs doing this and taking Bona, Nnaji, Jackson-Davis, etc.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:15 PM   #417
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post

I don't see the high bust factor unless you're expecting him to turn out to be KD offensively. IF GG name has been floated out there, it's probably an effort at a smoke screen. They can't risk that pick on potential huge offensive upside. No way at #10, with our roster.

What we need is a sure thing if we are keeping the pick/player. Jarace Walker could start day 1 and you know what you're gonna get. It's not flashy but he's exactly the type of player we need. Great defender, especially help defender and good rebounder. We really need the help defender too, our perimeter is often getting their asses blown apart. Hendrix has more potential for sure but it's not a sure thing it gets DfnP off the floor. Not big enough to carve out the space and be the fn brute that we need.

I'd be happy with either one of those 2, and a cpl others. We just don't have the flexibility to piece together the key components we need in order to just draft BPA, unless we explore SnT Kyrie.

I still don't see them investing in the future any further than getting Luka help NOW.

Fwiw, I have very very little interest in DFS.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-03-2023 at 03:19 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #418
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

Yes because look at how #18/#31/#36 changed the trajectory of our team in 2020 Draft. Yes let's do that again...

Last edited by Zeus; 05-03-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #419
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes because look at how #18/#31/#36 changed the trajectory of our team in 2020 Draft. Yes let's do that again...
After Dick and Hendricks come off the board, there isn't a lot of star potential left in this draft. Both of them most likely won't be there at 10 if that is our pick. If one of them are there we have to take them.

Bust potential will be there from 10-30 so I'd rather have two shots at getting a player that will stick than 1.

And using your reasoning, we shouldn't pick at 9 or 10 because that worked out so well for us in 2017.

The point is moot because they will be trading that pick unless it is #1 and I'm not even sure they'd pick Wemby at this point.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-03-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:01 AM   #420
Zeus

Quote:
After Dick and Hendricks come off the board, there isn't a lot of star potential left in this draft. Both of them most likely won't be there at 10 if that is our pick. If one of them are there we have to take them.

Bust potential will be there from 10-30 so I'd rather have two shots at getting a player that will stick than 1.

And using your reasoning, we shouldn't pick at 9 or 10 because that worked out so well for us in 2017.

The point is moot because they will be trading that pick unless it is #1 and I'm not even sure they'd pick Wemby at this point.
I think they are more likely to trade if they are 3rd or 4th pick than 10 because that would carry so much more trade value.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #421
tap2390
Diamond Member

Random thoughts:

1) I had a dream the Mavs picked 4th

2) None of us can say with ANY degree of certainty that _______ player will be a star or will be a bust.

For all we know, Hendricks is Christian Wood 2.0 with worse offense, and Dick is Duncan Robinson 2.0 with worse defense. (I don't believe this to be true, my point is just no one knows).

3) I really do trust Nico (and our new AGM) to evaluate and make the right decision... whether that's selecting a player or trading the pick. I don't think any of us can fault Nico for what he's done so far -- buying low on Wood, buying low on Kyrie, buying low on Hardy.

Obviously it would be nice to have Jaylin Williams on a rookie contract over our one year rental of Wood, but it was worth the swing.

4) I'm probably in the minority, but I'm optimistic about our future. If we have Luka, Kyrie, Green, Hardy, #10..... that's not a bad starting point to build something sustainable, especially when the league is wide open (in before Wemby becomes a Hakeem/ Dirk hybrid).
Old 05-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #422
sig

If the Mavs get to 4, I more and more think they should take BPA over need. I'd probably go Amen Thompson. To me there is a top 4 before getting to the trio of forwards (Walker, Hendricks, whit). KI, Hardy, Green, Amen could really speed up the pace of the team. Luka can play in any system. He also provides a ball handler on the wing in the scenario the KI signing goes wrong.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:33 AM   #423
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Random thoughts:

1) I had a dream the Mavs picked 4th

2) None of us can say with ANY degree of certainty that _______ player will be a star or will be a bust.

For all we know, Hendricks is Christian Wood 2.0 with worse offense, and Dick is Duncan Robinson 2.0 with worse defense. (I don't believe this to be true, my point is just no one knows).

3) I really do trust Nico (and our new AGM) to evaluate and make the right decision... whether that's selecting a player or trading the pick. I don't think any of us can fault Nico for what he's done so far -- buying low on Wood, buying low on Kyrie, buying low on Hardy.

Obviously it would be nice to have Jaylin Williams on a rookie contract over our one year rental of Wood, but it was worth the swing.

4) I'm probably in the minority, but I'm optimistic about our future. If we have Luka, Kyrie, Green, Hardy, #10..... that's not a bad starting point to build something sustainable, especially when the league is wide open (in before Wemby becomes a Hakeem/ Dirk hybrid).
Nobody is saying there is a guarantee with any pick.
I'm just saying Dick and Hendricks appear to have star potential and probably some others as well, but most will be gone when we will most likely pick if that pick is 10.

Everything is speculation at this point including your dream which I hope comes true
Old 05-04-2023, 08:24 PM   #424
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hope Luka is watching this game. Curry gets knocked on his ass from an obvious offensive no call foul. He gets up, shakes it off, and moves on.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:29 AM   #425
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Hope Luka is watching this game. Curry gets knocked on his ass from an obvious offensive no call foul. He gets up, shakes it off, and moves on.
I hope Luka's watching Brunson as Brunson just plays his ass off and keeps his mouth shut. So refreshing to see in today's NBA.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:40 AM   #426
tap2390
Diamond Member

Unfortunately, it seems that Walker, Hendricks, and Wemby will all be gone by #10. This leaves the Mavs picking from a guard-heavy board.

Dereck Lively really reminds me of Tyson Chandler 2.0.... problem is like Chandler I think he's going to need 2-3 years to really start contributing. I'm not opposed to developing a big, but we really need a 100% competent starter.

In my opinion, you absolutely can not take Lively at #10.

Predictions

1) I think the Mavs will try hard to trade the pick for a vet, but ultimately there are quite a few guys in the third tier, and Mavs won't get the value they're looking for.

2) Mavs will try to trade down, if unsuccessful, they will select either Anthony Black or Jordan Hawkins.

3) TJD, Jordan Hawkins, Kris Murray, Leonard Miller, and Kobe Bufkin go higher than expected.

4) Lively, Keyonte George, Nick Smith Jr., and Jett Howard go lower than expected.

Final thought: I would love to trade back and take TJD. To me he's a rich man's Onyeka Okongwu. Again, wouldn't blow my mind if we took him at 10.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-05-2023 at 09:42 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:45 AM   #427
tap2390
Diamond Member

One more random thought:

TJD reminds me a LOT of Sengun.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #428
sig

I hope Luka is not watching any basketball at all now and getting a mental break from the 2-3 year non stop grind and getting past his off court issues (no pun intended). This year was tough on him becaause I think DFS was his best friend and he was close to Brunson and Bobi also who left the team. Maybe Igor too? Probably first time basketball felt like a business not a game for him.

If he is watching anyone else on another team, I hope it is Jimmy Butler.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:13 PM   #429
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Luka needs to watch jokic

Dude initiates the offense but he doesn't pound the Rock 15-20 seconds when he gets it.

He mixes his game up inside/out perfectly keeping the defense off balance and guessing

He does a wonderful job passing out of the post or mid post

I've said this a few times the way Denver utilizes him is the same way Dallas needs to utilize Luka. There's no reason why the Luka and kyrie tandem can't share the ball like jokic and Murray but it's up to Luka tp be willing to posy up and play a little more off ball.

Add someone like Jerami Grant to play that Arron Gordon role

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-05-2023 at 11:14 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #430
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Here comes the Mavs media with the Ayton build up before it inevitably happens....

Quote:
Chuck Cooperstein
@coopmavs
I've always been a DeAndre Ayton fan, even as I acknowledge his motor should run hotter than it does. He has still been a big part of PHX success the last 3 yrs. But unlike other talented bigs who've had multiple chances to reinvent themselves. Ayton hasn't had that chance yet.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #431
tap2390
Diamond Member

THJ and Bertans for Ayton?. Take it or leave it. No picks.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #432
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I don't get the Ayton love from these rando Mavs fan accounts on Twitter. He's absolutely not the answer for this Mavs team and would put us in an even worse roster building situation with his contract. Regular season stud, playoff dud.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:48 PM   #433
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Whitmore isn't even 19 yet. Give me the best defensive wing/guard available. Sneaky feeling that Cason Wallace is going to be a top notch pest for guards at the next level. Could certainly use that on this team, but we would still need to address wing defense and rebounding.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:06 AM   #434
tap2390
Diamond Member

Love love love Jordan Hawkins game and think he?s a great fit with Luka. I think he?s going to effortlessly translate to the league. Problem is he isn?t the elite defender/rebounder we?re looking for, but I would lean towards drafting him at #10 over Gradey Dick, Cason, etc. and then consider moving Hardy for a big.

Last edited by tap2390; 05-08-2023 at 08:12 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:18 AM   #435
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Love love love Jordan Hawkins game and think he?s a great fit with Luka. I think he?s going to effortlessly translate to the league. Problem is he isn?t the elite defender/rebounder we?re looking for, but I would lean towards drafting him at #10 over Gradey Dick, Cason, etc. and then consider moving Hardy for a big.
I disagree with Cason. I think he has the chance to be an elite pest at the 1 and 2 positions. That goes a long way in this league, though wing defense and depth trump those aspects.

Think of Cason as a Jrue Holiday type to lock down the Booker, Butler, SGA, etc. types. That plays super well with this roster when your guards are Luka and Kyrie, assuming we get the deal done.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:02 AM   #436
Zeus

If only the Mavs would have had an opportunity in the offseason last off-season to lockdown a young FA like Jarred Vanderbilt for less than Jared McGee signed for. I sure hope that ping pong ball bounces in Mavs favor next Tuesday.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #437
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
If only the Mavs would have had an opportunity in the offseason last off-season to lockdown a young FA like Jarred Vanderbilt for less than Jared McGee signed for. I sure hope that ping pong ball bounces in Mavs favor next Tuesday.

He was a RFA in 2021.... I'm all for sh*tting on our FO but this is a stretch.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #438
sig

Quote:
He was a RFA in 2021.... I'm all for sh*tting on our FO but this is a stretch.
The deal the Mavs gave to McGee was more than the Pacers could of offered Jalen smith and he could of started especially after the trade for KI that sent DFS away. He is a good young player who is still improving. Maybe Kidd would of found reasons to not like him aka Wood. Who knows.

The Warriors are having some chemistry issues with Poole and Kuminga. I like Kuminga as much any of the players the Mavs can grab at 10 and he can play some serious D.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #439
tap2390
Diamond Member

I'm all for taking fliers on young guys who have shown flashes but haven't put it together... and yes even 1% improvements add up over time... but I think it's a stretch to say that JV or JS would have moved the needle for us.

If you add it ALL up -- losing Brunson, Green over Bane/ Maxey, signing washed up vets instead of high upside young guys -- I 100% agree the FO's lack of competence since drafting Luka has been killer.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #440
sig

Quote:
Nobody is saying there is a guarantee with any pick.
I'm just saying Dick and Hendricks appear to have star potential and probably some others as well, but most will be gone when we will most likely pick if that pick is 10.

Everything is speculation at this point including your dream which I hope comes true
There is always somehat of a shakeup after the draft camps. So let's see who goes up and who who drops.

I like Hood Schifino as much as those 2. He really stabilized the PG spot for Indiana as a Frosh and already has NBA strength. IMO, he is a Deron williams clone with 6'9" wingspan.