Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-09-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Laptops....

Hope everyone's well! I've been on an extended vacation to Mexico...this frog is fried!

Since I admittedly know jack-freaking-squat about computers...(I'm no longer in denial), anyone care to give me insight on a kick a*$ system for 2 K? Know anything about Alienware? Your advice just may win you.... nothing, but respect and admiration from those who surround themselves in geek speak.

Ribbit for her pleasure
Frog
Old 03-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default RE:Laptops....

OMG, Frog's Back !!

Frog....ask U2 Sarjevo...he's the head computer jock around here.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Laptops....

The frog not only is sunburned but also it seems still drunk.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Alienware builds great gaming PC's

If you want a great system for Gaming you should build your own with all the top of the line components.

Great graphics card ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB (~300)
Choose a couple of 80GB SATA drives with Raid-0, (~200)
1GB of Dual Channel Memory, (~200)
latest Intel 875 chipset with PAT technology. (~150)
Intel 3.2 Ghz CPU (~400)
DVD writer (~150)
Nice Sound Card from Creative (~100)
Nice TV tuner (~50)
Finally choose a nice case from Thermaltake. (~150)

Go to www.zipzoomfly.com to order components or you if you dont work well with hardware Fry's can assemble a system from the components you buy from them for $100.

Here is another choice

www.abscomputer Link

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Is this what you had in mind...........................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=lap+top/v=2/l=IVS/*-http://www.ewilliamphoto.com/Photo/ManShow_Lap%20Top.jpg[/img]
Old 03-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
senorfrog

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente
Is this what you had in mind...........................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=lap+top/v=2/l=IVS/*-http://www.ewilliamphoto.com/Photo/ManShow_Lap%20Top.jpg[/img]
Wow...those are some nice Juggy girls....

I miss the old Man Show crew...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Me too. Adam Carrolla was funnier...............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey senorfrog!!! Welcome back.

Alienware makes excellent gaming computers, is that your intent for this system? If it is, it would be much cheaper to get a PlayStation or XBox, etc....

However, if you want a "good deal" on a system the cheapest way to do it is to build it yourself like suggested earlier in this thread. The drawback to that is you have multiple places to go for warranty replacement. The plus side is you are forced to learn by doing, you get more familiar with your hardware, etc....

You can find similar machines from all of the Tier 1 providers (HP, Dell, etc...) and the best part about it is that if something breaks you have one number to call for support.

One other word of warning, Fry's was mentioned earlier.... but beware of that place. When returns come in, 90 percent of the time that is restocked to be a headache for the next person that buys it(and that may differ from store to store, but I know of two metroplex stores that this is pretty much a "policy" - if it comes back twice they don't restock it - the reason for that I'm told is that the majority of self-builders don't know what they are doing and the stuff returned is typically not the source of the problem so instead of testing themselves they let the next customer test it). They do have incredible deals on hardware though. I personally try to find a smaller parts store, just because I have had so many issues with Fry's in the past (and granted, you aren't guaranteed to have problems... I've heard good stories as well as bad).

PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I suspected Froggy was Bush!!!

Look at the clues, plenty of them...

Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
Caliente
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas

If Froggy is Bush.......I want to be Laura.....................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
senorfrog

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas

That is the funniest, most creative post I've read in a long time! Te extrañe, Chiwas. Ojala que pude ir al visitar contigo y allí pudimos tomar hasta borracharnos.

Thanks for the great insight Fish, U2 and muy Caliente[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Now I'm torn between a laptop and a stripclub.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: senorfrog
That is the funniest, most creative post I've read in a long time! Te extrañe, Chiwas. Ojala que pude ir al visitar contigo y allí pudimos tomar hasta borracharnos.

Thanks for the great insight Fish, U2 and muy Caliente[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Somehow I get the feeling that even if you purchased a laptop you would still find time for the latter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
Caliente
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Originally posted by: senorfrog

Somehow I get the feeling that even if you purchased a laptop you would still find time for the latter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'm with you u2...............why choose? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing I know about laptops would have saved me a lot of money if I had known it earlier:

Stay away from Sony!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

oh no, lurkin is trying to make this thread really about laptops.....quick, someone post the man show pic again!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I´ve got one of the new Samsung X 10 notebooks. I´m pretty happy with it. It´s coming with centrino technology (wireless lan), an Nvidia 440 to go graphics card (64MB Ram), a pretty huge harddrive, DVD/CD-RW combo, bluetooth, 512 MB ram. What I like most is that it´s totally silent, the batteries last for quite some time and the whole thing only weights 1,8 kg.

Edit: Before I bought it I was a little worried about product quality. I also have an older IBM Thinkpad which is very well build. Up to this point however I didn´t have any problems with the Samsung. I think it can match IBM´s product quality while being much lighter then anything IBM has to offer with a comparable configuration. I also tested HP and Acer centrino notebooks before buying the Samsung. The HP was ok but the Acer (Travelmate 803 Lci) had alot of weaknesses.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #17
Caliente
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
oh no, lurkin is trying to make this thread really about laptops.....quick, someone post the man show pic again!
Your wish is my command......................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]