Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk opts out of contract

Dirk Nowitzki will opt out of contract, still wants to stay with Mavericks

Figure this needed its own thread... What does it mean???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that he feels he has at least 2 more years left in the tank, wants to figure out a way to maximize our chance of landing difference-makers in free agency over the next 2 summers... Figures the best way to start is with his contract.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this will provide some inspiration for others to accept less.
Dirk is the most humble player in all of sports that I've ever seen.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I used to feel this way but last few years has left such a bitter taste in my mouth.

Dirk is such a class act. He's probably the only franchise player in existence who says "I'm all for the winning" and actually backs it up with his actions. You can say the same about Duncan too, but that's pretty much it.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's not one of a kind when it comes to this...but the list is extraordinarily small.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Making room for the Al Horford and Dwight Howard team up? :-P
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Making room for the Al Horford and Dwight Howard team up? :-P
No Parsons?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
No Parsons?
I sense he's leaving to Orlando for real. That money can go to lebron

Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It means more years of Dirk...which is a good thing.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It means more years of Dirk...which is a good thing.
People laugh at me but I think Dirk still has 5 quality years left in him.
Would not surprise me if he plays to 42 or 43.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
He can still shoot like he's 20.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

The power of social media. I am glad I have convinced Dirk to taking more money this summer. Screw Mark Cuban. Go Dirk!
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You just made that up. Everyone here knows Dirk can play till 40+ cause his game doesn't require athleticism. Dirk will retire when he feel like retiring. His game will never be the reason he retires.
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSportyChannel View Post
The power of social media. I am glad I have convinced Dirk to taking more money this summer. Screw Mark Cuban. Go Dirk!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk is the most humble player in all of sports that I've ever seen.
Yeah, right
I could maybe see Parsons taking a little less than his max. Deron and or Dwight?. I doubt it.

Dirk is definitely one of the most genuinely humble superstars the league has ever seen. Love the dude. This is just one more reason of many

Last edited by mac222b; 05-02-2016 at 06:56 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk can have as much as he wants. But most likely, he's signing a 2 year deal that will maximize space for other free agents. Dirk is too humble and I hope he doesnt go below 8 million. With the cap going up, he should be getting more, especially in that 2nd year (20th season). Hope thats the case.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #17
Underdog

Two completely different perspectives on this trade; one stemming from a disgruntled fanbase, the other focusing on the possibilities that having ~$50m in cap space can offer...

These guys and their echo chamber seem to think Dirk opted out to "threaten" Cuban, hold his feet to the fire and force him to succeed at building a team around Dirk (as if Cuban's failure somehow stemmed from laziness? I dunno)... They even talk about the possibility of Dirk leaving and which teams he might go to: What does Dirk Nowitzki's opt-out say about the Mavericks' past -- and future?

Whereas this guy seems to think Dirk opted out so that Dallas could use the extra cap space to absorb trades (Cousins?) or sign max players (Parsons/Howard?), then Dirk signs for whatever money is left in the end: The Plan Behind Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out

I dunno about you guys, but I know which article sounds more like Dirk to me...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-02-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Two completely different perspectives on this trade; one stemming from a disgruntled fanbase, the other focusing on the possibilities that having ~$50m in cap space can offer...

These guys and their echo chamber seem to think Dirk opted out to "threaten" Cuban, hold his feet to the fire and force him to succeed at building a team around Dirk (as if Cuban's failure somehow stemmed from laziness? I dunno)... They even talk about the possibility of Dirk leaving and which teams he might go to: What does Dirk Nowitzki's opt-out say about the Mavericks' past -- and future?

Whereas this guy seems to think Dirk opted out so that Dallas could use the extra cap space to absorb trades (Cousins?) or sign max players (Parsons/Howard?), then Dirk signs for whatever money is left in the end: The Plan Behind Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out

I dunno about you guys, but I know which article sounds more like Dirk to me...
I couldnt even finish that first link. Bunch of disgruntled fans, as you put it.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #19
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Class act. Unbelievable. Dirk and Tim Duncan. That's it. Whole different class of players and humans.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't we set for another cap spike? Can he sign a two year 8m deal with an opt out? Next offseason if he wants to play another he re-signs for one year at a larger number for his farewell tour.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
yahyes
Banned

Is Lebron going to opt out when the season is over too? Hm.. what if the cavs lose in the 2nd round. That can change his plans.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Aren't we set for another cap spike?
Yep, it's projected to be somewhere in the ballpark of $92m next year, at least $108m in 2017-18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Can he sign a two year 8m deal with an opt out? Next offseason if he wants to play another he re-signs for one year at a larger number for his farewell tour.
Yep, he could sign the same deal... Or ask for a raise that matches the cap increase... Or sign for as little as the vet min (~$2m).

It all just depends on what the FO's plans are this summer.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-02-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #23
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yep, it's projected to be somewhere in the ballpark of $92m next year, at least $108m in 2017-18.

Yep, he could sign the same deal... Or ask for a raise that matches the cap increase... Or sign for as little as the vet min (~$2m).

It all just depends on what the FO's plans are this summer.
Is it possible for Dirk to take vet min virtually the rest of his career and then sign for $25mil or so when we tear this whole thing down and fill the roster full of rookies and lotto busts on very small contracts when cap space will mean nothing to us?
Kinda like the Kobe situation?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #24
Underdog

Quote:
Is it possible for Dirk to take vet min virtually the rest of his career and then sign for $25mil or so when we tear this whole thing down and fill the roster full of rookies and lotto busts on very small contracts when cap space will mean nothing to us?
Kinda like the Kobe situation?
I mean, it's technically possible, but that's probably not how it goes down... I doubt Dirk takes minimum -- time is money, and his time could be well-spent with his new family... Gotta pay the man enough to pry him away each day!

But I do wonder if he waits to see how much money is left after signing free agents, rather than making a deal early in the offseason like last time...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-02-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #25
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Just when you thought Dirk couldn't possibly make you like him even more...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #26
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I do wonder if he waits to see how much money is left after signing free agents, rather than making a deal early in the offseason like last time...
I'm assuming that's the whole point of this. Give the team more room to maneuver and then - if needed - take a paycut.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #27
Rick Carlisle

Rick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant futureRick Carlisle has a brilliant future

It would be funny if he changes his mind and signs with the Clippers.
Rick Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carlisle View Post
It would be funny if he changes his mind and signs with the Clippers.
But then you'd have to play rookies...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #29
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I would absolute hate if Dirk takes another discount so just Deron and Parsons getting their demanded raises.

Specially Deron should be about winning in his hometown, he made over 100 million in his career so far...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

But we HAVE to quit players more than they are worth. Devin Harris for $4M to be our 4th string PG - stupid money. Why pay JJ $4M? Its not like there was a huge demand for his services

And max for Mathews? You DEVELOP 3&D guys, you don't pay them the max

The front office has gotta be smarter
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
But we HAVE to quit players more than they are worth. Devin Harris for $4M to be our 4th string PG - stupid money. Why pay JJ $4M? Its not like there was a huge demand for his services

It's funny how you talk crap about a loyalty pay check in JJB in a thread about the payoff of loyalty. JJB was a loyalty contract and what's more? He absolutely earned 4 mill. 4 mill is the new 2 mill and he is certainly worth that.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #32
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It's funny how you talk crap about a loyalty pay check in JJB in a thread about the payoff of loyalty. JJB was a loyalty contract and what's more? He absolutely earned 4 mill. 4 mill is the new 2 mill and he is certainly worth that.
I was in the same mindset as MFFL when we signed Barea, but I definitely think he earned his paycheck this season... And I agree with EL that $4m is the new $2m, so he's likely to retain value going forward... Devin too, on the rare occasions when he's actually healthy. These guys are solid changeups/insurance policies at the 1/2 in Rick's system.

Although I do agree with MFFL about Matthews... If he's 100%, then maybe you can justify the money -- but with the injury? I get the whole "loyalty" thing when it comes to JJB, but we don't really owe Wes squat. DJ screwed him, not Cuban... So cap-wise, he's definitely been a net negative after one season... Let's see if he can get healthy enough to justify (most of) his paycheck.

Basically, the front office has made some underrated moves, but they really need to max-out their potential right about now... Otherwise, Dirk's final years will be wasted (and we riot!)

Last edited by Underdog; 05-03-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Matthews' contract is totally reasonable. His defense was stellar and his health was surprisingly good. As he gets more comfortable offensively, he's going to be solid. We needed a tenacious, outspoken 3 and D guy and we got him. He's one of our building blocks and he's exactly the kind of guy teams build championships around. He's like Jason Terry in that he got a lot of the heat while we struggled, but both are solid guys who play with a sort of fire and skill that they absolutely can be a major piece of a championship team. Will we get another 'ship? Probably not, but it's rarely a bad call to pay a major pillar of your franchise in the teens.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-04-2016 at 09:45 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I think we overpaid slightly for Matthews, which is fine... I'm guessing there were about 10 other teams ready to pay him $13-14M in a heartbeat last season. And when you look at an $89M cap, having those three guys on the books for about $25M is really good value.

Can you imagine what JJB would get in the open market this summer if he was a free agent after that midseason tear he went on?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #35
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

There are probably 10 teams in the league trading for Matthews contract...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I agree that Matthews contract is about right, maybe a little high. But, people are probably only looking at the playoffs which is not right because this team was demolished with injuries and Matthews was being asked to do things he normally wouldn't do. He's not a creator and I don't think he was one in Portland even before his injury. He should be a dead eye three point shooter and amazing defender ... which he is.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #37
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

If Dirk is really opting out now to take less money to build a better team, Mark had better formalize a long-term financial relationship between the Mavs and Dirk the day he retires.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #38
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
If Dirk is really opting out now to take less money to build a better team, Mark had better formalize a long-term financial relationship between the Mavs and Dirk the day he retires.
Oh, I'm sure Dirk already has a 7-figure job for life with this organization.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #39
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
There are probably 10 teams in the league trading for Matthews contract...
No doubt. Doesn't mean we'd all necessarily be happy with what we'd get in return, but I don't consider it to be an albatross or anything, especially since I expect him to play better (and in a role that is more suited for him) going forward. It would take a pretty exciting offer for me to be really comfortable trading Wes, both because of how well I think he can and will fit moving forward, but also because I don't think it sends a great message to prospective free agents when we sign a guy to a long contract like that and trade him after only one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I agree that Matthews contract is about right, maybe a little high. But, people are probably only looking at the playoffs which is not right because this team was demolished with injuries and Matthews was being asked to do things he normally wouldn't do. He's not a creator and I don't think he was one in Portland even before his injury. He should be a dead eye three point shooter and amazing defender ... which he is.
Yeah with the way the roster looked at the end of the season, Wes was basically option 2 or 2a, when he should be option 4 or 5 and getting a majority of his looks off of catch and shoot opportunities.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #40
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Yeah with the way the roster looked at the end of the season, Wes was basically option 2 or 2a, when he should be option 4 or 5 and getting a majority of his looks off of catch and shoot opportunities.
Yeah I agree. Wes needs a guy who can break down the defense to flourish on his catch and shoot opportunities. His %'s on catch and shoot was not far off from his prior average but he didn't get as many of those looks as he did with Portland. He had to try and get more offense in other ways which is not a strength of his. Deron doesn't break a defense down consistently unless it's crunch time(and he's hurt a lot), Felton did it but seemed to bowl his way to the rim more often than look for a kick out, and JJ also had some moments but not a consistent threat like he had with Lillard much less having a LMA, in his prime as well to keep the defense honest. Parsons brings some of that playmaking but he needs a screen to do it and even then he's better IMO for a rolling 5 cuz his length challenges defenders inside instead of quickness which would bring perimeter guys in like a pg would potentially do. The one issue could be that Wes might not ever be as good here offensively as he was with the Blazers because we don't have those kinds of players currently on this roster. And I don't see one of those guys in this years free agency that we can bring in here realistically. I still don't regret the signing because he does bring defense and an attitude this team needs.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote