Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #81
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Yep. What the Mavs really need is not a Dirk replacement (would be nice, but hard to find and then get), they need a Shawn Marion replacement...or even a Deshawn Stevenson replacement.
I think Anderson could become Marion's replacement and Matthews brings a lot of what Stevenson brought only at a much higher price but larger role.
I do agree about the center spot because we are desperately missing what TC brought.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #82
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think Anderson could become Marion's replacement and Matthews brings a lot of what Stevenson brought only at a much higher price but larger role.
I do agree about the center spot because we are desperately missing what TC brought.
Agree with all. Stevenson was very low budget. Matthews...not so much. :-) But Stevenson was also never really a go to shooter (ie, someone they routinely ran plays for), Matthews can be.

I don't think Anderson will be able to guard all five positions like Marion could, but Marion was pretty unique. If Anderson can be a perimeter stopper on SG's and SF's, he'll fill the role.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@bobbykaralla: Dirk tells Ben and Skin he's got to help himself a little bit this summer, but he hasn't officially opted out. Has a few weeks to decide.

@bobbykaralla: Said he's already met with Donnie Nelson and will meet with Mark Cuban soon.

@bobbykaralla: Said he hopes to play at least two more years. "My mind's not made up," he said, but he said he's leaning toward opting out.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #84
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Full audio and selected quotes available here:

http://www.mavs.com/dirk-appears-ben...how-105-3-fan/

Quote:
Dirk appears on ‘The Ben and Skin Show’ on 105.3 The Fan

Dirk Nowitzki further revealed his thought process behind his potential upcoming free agency today when appearing on “The Ben and Skin Show” on 105.3 The Fan.

One month after saying on 1310 The Ticket that he was planning to opt out and sign back with the Mavericks this summer, Nowitzki told The Fan hosts that he isn’t completely sure of his decision quite yet. He has until the final week of June to accept or decline his player option, and his decision could potentially depend in part on what general manager Donnie Nelson and owner Mark Cuban believe could help the franchise most. Nowitzki has already met with Nelson and said he’ll meet with Cuban soon.

“Just trying to find out what the best (thing to do) is,” he said. “Is it best to stay in the contract and play next year and keep the same pay, or should I opt out? Is that best for the franchise? Just trying to find out from Donnie and Mark what’s out there, what the plan is. So, 100%, my mind’s not made up, but I’m leaning toward opting out and trying to help, and see what’s out there.”

The 37-year-old Nowitzki said he does hope to play at least two more seasons, which would take him to 20 in his legendary career. Currently sitting just more than 500 points away from 30,000 for his career, the German will become just the sixth player in NBA history to reach that milestone. Obviously individual accolades don’t matter to Nowitzki as much as they might to his fans, as the 2011 Finals MVP would rather compete for a second championship in his final seasons in the league.

Nelson, Cuban, and Rick Carlisle have all said publicly that they have no plans to rebuild as long as the Mavericks are in a position to compete for a playoff spot and make a potential run in the Western Conference, especially as long as Nowitzki is part of the organization. Of course the Dallas front office would love to add young talent through both the NBA Draft and free agency, but not if it means sacrificing competitive standing in the loaded West.

“Tanking is just not part of my DNA, not the way I’m wired,” he said. “I want to win, I want to compete. … I want to have the feeling this franchise is going for it. I think that’s what these fans deserve. We’ve had some of the most loyal fans there. I think the sellout streak is still going, as far as I’m concerned. They deserve better than for us to just tank and go for a high draft pick. That’s not what Mark and Donnie and the whole franchise stand for.

“But I do understand that decision. If a franchise decides to take a few steps back to eventually take another step forward, then I understand that decision. But I don’t need to be a part of that.”

Nowitzki still has some time to make his final decision regarding his contract, but regardless of what happens, he has no plans to play for another team. He will be a Maverick in 2016-17, just like he’s always been.

The German talked about much more than just his contract on the show. Here are some highlights.

On teammate Chandler Parsons’ fashion sense: “His choice of wardrobe is very interesting. I think in one of the playoff games he wore a wife-beater under the suit jacket. It’s not my style, but I guess that’s what’s hot these days, and that’s what he’s rocking.”

On changes to his strict diet in the offseason: “At least one month in the summer here, I eat everything and drink everything in sight. I enjoy that. I really do. I sometimes miss the drinks, and the wines, and the ice creams a little bit, the pizzas, during the season. But it’s a sacrifice that I’ve got to make, especially as I’ve gotten even older. So this month, I’ve been on a tear. I’ve gained almost 10 pounds. But it should be good for my baseball swing. I think I’m gonna lay a little more weight behind it and maybe I’ll get it out of the infield. ”

On trash-talking in the NBA: “We’ve had some good ones over the years. I think (Kevin Garnett) was definitely up there. His style is so intense, and it’s almost like he wants to intimidate you a little bit. Especially early in my career, he always tried to tell me things. I learned over the years just to ignore. I don’t really get involved in much. I want to play my game, I want to focus on myself and the team. Once in a while it is fun to throw a few lines around, a little “And one!” or “You’re too little!” or something like that, I might throw around here and there. Gary Payton was a great one. We had a few in this league, but honestly it’s not as much as you’d expect or think.”

On his Heroes Celebrity Baseball Game: “It’s been a humbling experience. Not only the fans — we’ve sold it out the last few years — but also the celebs flying in from all over the place, the local guys come out. The Cowboys accepting and respecting that game so much to come out every year. … It’s been incredible to see all these people support this game, and hopefully we’ll make it fun again for everybody involved, with the fireworks, the home runs. It’s always a fun event.” (He also said Parsons has claimed he can throw a 90-mile-per-hour fastball.)

He’s also never seen a single “Star Wars” film.
First quote really makes me think he's going to opt out and take a smaller two-year deal if the extra $5-6M is the difference between getting a top-tier free agent and missing out on him.

Second quote worries me about 1% because if the MBT whiffs on the top handful of good big men in this free agent class, they would have to put serious thought into how to position the team for the long haul.

All of that said, I see a few different scenarios as to how this offseason shakes out.
  • The first would have us getting someone in the Drummond/Dwight/Whiteside/Horford tier (listed in my personal order of preference). If the front office truly believes we are a player for one of those guys, I think Dirk opts out and takes a small contract, maybe even a vet minimum deal. I think if we get one of these guys and bring Parsons back, we also get a couple of good veteran free agent bargains and this team is ready to compete with the Clippers/Blazers/Grizzlies types next season.
  • The second would have us striking out on those guys and settling for Zaza/Noah/Hibbert/Mozgov, then cobbling together another competent but middling roster with mostly the same guys from last year. Dirk opts in if this is the most likely scenario and we hope for better health and the chance to move up one or two rungs in the playoff hunt. I'd talk myself into being excited for this kind of roster but I'd really be looking at my watch pretty often as the season went along.
  • If we miss out on option 1 or lose Parsons en route to option 2, I think Dirk should strongly consider hitching his wagon to a contender.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #85
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He’s also never seen a single “Star Wars” film.
Most interesting tidbit of the article. That makes us two

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #86
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Full audio and selected quotes available here:

[*]If we miss out on option 1 or lose Parsons en route to option 2, I think Dirk should strongly consider hitching his wagon to a contender.[/LIST]
I pray hard that this won't happen. I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes, but seeing Dirk joining another team is going to be weird and painful. I don't want him to go form a superteam somewhere else and ends up being a fifth wheeler and then retire.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #87
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping View Post
I pray hard that this won't happen. I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes, but seeing Dirk joining another team is going to be weird and painful. I don't want him to go form a superteam somewhere else and ends up being a fifth wheeler and then retire.
“In my mind, after we won the championship, it was always clear I will retire a Mav.” --Dirk Nowitzki

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e68385407.html

Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #88
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk ain't leaving

Mavs will come back to next season better than they were this year.

The only big question I have is how much better will we be?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-02-2016 at 11:37 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #89
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see this year's roster being any worse at the start of this coming season than last year's so I don't see Dirk ever leaving. I think he'd be content staying as a Mav with a legit opportunity to be at least a 6 seed.

Remember we started the season with a huge question mark at center and 3 core players coming off major injuries and still finished 6th so Dirk probably has faith in the FO to put together a team that can at least compete for the 6th spot even if we don't sign any major FAs.

Finishing 6th in the West is not the most appealing situation to a Mavs fan but probably satisfactory to keep Dirk in a Mavs uniform at this stage of his career.
Unless Cuban tells Dirk that he is tearing this thing down and building from scratch with youth, I don't see Dirk leaving this team.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #90
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well the team was inconsistent with just about everything this past season. Will be pretty interested to see how the offense and rebounding are addressed...as I'm sure Dirk will be...

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-02-2016 at 05:42 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #91
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Folks at DB.com actually had an insightful idea about structuring Dirk's contract so that he earns the minimum this upcoming season, then the max the season after.

Worth a read.

http://www.scout.com/nba/mavericks/s...-contract-idea

Last edited by tap2390; 06-06-2016 at 11:53 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #92
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Folks at DB.com actually had an insightful idea about structuring Dirk's contract so that he earns the minimum this upcoming season, then the max the season after.

Worth a read.

Yeah, DB is always coming up with team-friendly cap juggling that players never go for... It must be the offseason.

I mean, it's an option, but I doubt Dirk does it unless the ink is already dry on what he considers to be a solid core for the next 2 years -- otherwise it stunts our ability to sign FAs when the cap spikes again in 2017... Gotta hit a home run early this summer to even consider this plan.

Like, if we could sign Parsons/Dwight/Conley, then it totally makes sense; Dirk gets fed with next summer's cap spike... But I'm not sure if it really does much good for us if we don't pull something like that off... I could see 2x$8m for Dirk probably working better for both parties if this summer just ends up being another patch job.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #93
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Worth a read.

I actually made a similar suggestion a while back and think it is a decent notion. Even if we completely strike out on FAs in the off-season the plan can still work because Plan B can be to rebuild from scratch with a team full youth and Dirk gets paid for his sacrifices. Similar to the Kobe situation Dirk can get paid while the team rebuilds with rookies and youth when cap space doesn't mean anything. Cuban can shoot for the moon by trying to get two legit max players and if it doesn't work out then tear it down and Dirk can go out happy one way or another.

It makes perfect sense to me but agree with UnderDog that it probably won't happen.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #94
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, DB is always coming up with team-friendly cap juggling that players never go for... It must be the offseason.

I mean, it's an option, but I doubt Dirk does it unless the ink is already dry on what he considers to be a solid core for the next 2 years -- otherwise it stunts our ability to sign FAs when the cap spikes again in 2017... Gotta hit a home run early this summer to even consider this plan.

Like, if we could sign Parsons/Dwight/Conley, then it totally makes sense; Dirk gets fed with next summer's cap spike... But I'm not sure if it really does much good for us if we don't pull something like that off... I could see 2x$8m for Dirk probably working better for both parties if this summer just ends up being another patch job.
Completely agree. Unless a miracle happens with FA/Trades, then I don't see the point. If anything, Dirk should be asking for 20 million a year, and I wouldn't blame him.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-06-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #95
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I too agree with UD. These things sound great in theory but rarely come to fruition. Maybe Dirk opts out and takes 2yrs for 8m(4m per) with an opt out? If the right players are lined up I could see him doing something like this- giving the team an extra 4M or so to throw at max/near max guys
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #96
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Maybe Dirk opts out and takes 2yrs for 8m(4m per) with an opt out? If the right players are lined up I could see him doing something like this- giving the team an extra 4M or so to throw at max/near max guys
I was thinking 2 years at $8m each ($16m total and an opt-out), but that's just going on his current figures.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #97
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Completely agree. Unless a miracle happens with FA/Trades, then I don't see the point. If anything, Dirk should be asking for 20 million a year, and I wouldn't blame him.
That miracle should be at minimum Durant/Howard and when that doesn't happen pay Dirk the $20mil. If we're going to surround him with lower tier FAs we might as well pay him first and then fill out the roster....preferably with young guys with potential.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #98
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was thinking 2 years at $8m each ($16m total and an opt-out), but that's just going on his current figures.
Wasn't sure which way you meant it. Could see him taking a few million less if it means the difference between landing a difference maker or not.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #99
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
That miracle should be at minimum Durant/Howard and when that doesn't happen pay Dirk the $20mil. If we're going to surround him with lower tier FAs we might as well pay him first and then fill out the roster....preferably with young guys with potential.
Idk if it meant Howard, Parsons and D-Will I could see Dirk taking 3-4M this season. Or Howard/Teague/Parsons or maybe even Biyombo/Parsons/quality point guard X.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #100
Underdog

Quote:
We already know Durant/Howard isn't going to happen, but a rebuild with an overpaid Dirk is even less likely... Dirk doesn't want to play with a bunch of kids (which is why they can't get off the bench), and Cuban would be an idiot to pay him $20m to do so at his age.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #101
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
We already know Durant/Howard isn't going to happen, but a rebuild with an overpaid Dirk is even less likely... Dirk doesn't want to play with a bunch of kids (which is why they can't get off the bench), and Cuban would be an idiot to pay him $20m to do so at his age.
That was sarcasm.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #102
Underdog

Quote:
That was sarcasm.
USE A MORE SARCASTIC FONT.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #103
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
USE A MORE SARCASTIC FONT.
LOL....actually only the part about Durant/Howard. I do think Dirk should get some compensation for all of his sacrifices though.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #104
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Idk if it meant Howard, Parsons and D-Will I could see Dirk taking 3-4M this season. Or Howard/Teague/Parsons or maybe even Biyombo/Parsons/quality point guard X.
I agree in reality and that first group you mention is probably a strong possibility. I just have some issues with Dirk sacrificing for Parsons and DWill though. If they are willing to make some sacrifices to put that group together I'm fine with Dirk taking a big cut but if he is willing to take a major cut so they can top out then let them go and pay Dirk as far as I'm concerned. Twenty mil is not realistic but I think you get the where I'm going with this.
In other words I'd hate to see Dirk take a huge pay cut while Parsons gets maxed out and DWill gets a huge raise and we don't have enough left for a max or near max player and are virtually left with the same quality of roster as last season.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-07-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #105
Underdog

Quote:
I agree in reality and that first group you mention is probably a strong possibility. I just have some issues with Dirk sacrificing for Parsons and DWill though. If they are willing to make some sacrifices to put that group together I'm fine with Dirk taking a big cut but if he is willing to take a major cut so they can top out then let them go and pay Dirk as far as I'm concerned. Twenty mil is not realistic but I think you get the where I'm going with this.
In other words I'd hate to see Dirk take a huge pay cut while Parsons gets maxed out and DWill gets a huge raise and we don't have enough left for a max or near max player and are virtually left with the same quality of roster as last season.
Go back to Dirk's original quote and rest easy:

Quote:
"Ever since after the championship, we've been basically a first-round exit. We've been a seven, eight seed. We've only won a few playoff games, and obviously the goal was to compete at the highest level in my last couple of years. So there is some moving to do, some thinking, some putting our heads together the next few weeks heading into free agency, heading into the draft. So this is just one move that hopefully starts a chain reaction for us to get better again, to compete really at a high level. We'll see how it goes."

Old 06-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #106
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's conceivable that Parsons, D-Will and Dirk ALL take a slight pay cut to fit in Dwight or Whiteside or whomever. Personally, I see D-Will as least likely to. Followed by Parsons with a Dirk being the most likely to sacrifice. Ironically this is the reverse or inverse of how it should be.

If I'm GM- draft day trade of 2017 1st & Powell for Teague. Offer Harrison Barnes max. Sign Biyombo 4yrs. 76M. This plan may necessitate a salary dump to fit all 3. Maybe not.

If GSW match on Barnes sign the best 2/3 or 3/4 available(Bazemore, Marvin Williams). Must have position flex and shoot the 3 in the 36-42% range and play defense.

Say adios to the injury prone CP, Dwill and pouty baby Dwight Howard. Get younger, better defensively, healthier. Use the exception for PF and Center depth.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-07-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #107
mac222b
Diamond Member

Biyombo, Meijiri, McGee
Dirk, Barnes, FA
Barnes, JA
Wes, JA, Devin
Teague, JJB, Devin

4 defenders in the starting lineup. 4 guys who can shoot the 3 ball starting. Decent young foundation to build on.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #108
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Three thoughts...

1) Harrison Barnes to a max deal?!?

2) If the rumors are true we simply can't beat the 76'ers offer of Nerlens Noel for Teague, even if Atlanta has to throw in a pick

3) I agree we should try to get younger and build a defense-oriented team
Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #109
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Three thoughts...

1) Harrison Barnes to a max deal?!?

2) If the rumors are true we simply can't beat the 76'ers offer of Nerlens Noel for Teague, even if Atlanta has to throw in a pick

3) I agree we should try to get younger and build a defense-oriented team
Harrison Barnes is far from my first choice but some team is going to offer him a max deal. He has positional flex, can shoot the 3 and is a good defender. Can guard 3's and 4'sHe's a lot like Chandler Parsons- a better shooter and slightly better defender but not nearly the playmaker. And he's healthier. No reason he couldn't be a good 2nd or 3rd option on a good team.

As of now the Teague thing is just a rumour. I agree we can't beat a Noel offer if it comes to that. But there aren't too many point guard-less teams around so we at least have a shot. If Teague can't be got call about George Hill(hell we maybe could've gotten Hill AND Mahinmi for what we gave up for Rondo) who would give us at least shooting and defense of a good contract just as Teague would provide. Teague a better creator of his own shot which this team desperately needs.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-07-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #110
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

If the Warriors succeed in recruiting Dirk Nowitzki will you be rooting for Dirk and the Warriors next year? I'm a huge Dirk fan, but I was also a huge Steve Nash fan. I can't say that I rooted for the Suns or Nash in his MVP race, but that's because we still had Dirk. If he leaves I can't really say for sure what I'll do. I feel like I am more a fan of Dirk than the Mavericks organization right now.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #111
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dirk Nowitzki Rumors: Warriors Reportedly Interested in Star Forward
By Scott Polacek , Featured Columnist Jun 21, 2016

The Golden State Warriors lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals and failed to cap off their record-breaking campaign with a championship, and now they are reportedly interested in adding a future Hall of Famer who has experience beating LeBron James with a title at stake.

According to Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News, “Warriors management has circled” Dirk Nowitzki as a potential addition in the offseason.

“We will be very aggressive,” a Warriors executive said when discussing the upcoming offseason, per Kawakami. Adding someone with a resume like Nowitzki’s would qualify.

Kawakami clarified that the Warriors' primary target will be Kevin Durant, but Nowitzki serves as a “next-tier discussion.”

Nowitzki appeared on 1310 The Ticket in Dallas in May (via Tim MacMahon of ESPN.com) and announced his decision to opt out of the last year of his contract with the Dallas Mavericks. However, MacMahon reported the forward “has no intention of leaving the team.”

Nowitzki has been with the Mavericks for his entire NBA career, but he is 38 years old and “a little wary of staying in Dallas for a rebuilding process,” per Kawakami.

Joining a Warriors squad that is fresh off two straight appearances in the NBA Finals would give Nowitzki an opportunity to win a second ring and retire on top as one of the best players in his generation.

Kawakami stressed the Warriors' interest in Nowitzki and other potential roster changes would not be a knee-jerk reaction to their Game 7 loss against the Cavaliers on Sunday. Marreese Speights, Leandro Barbosa, Anderson Varejao, Brandon Rush and Ian Clark will be unrestricted free agents in July, while Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli will be restricted free agents.

Ezeli and Barnes both looked expendable in the NBA Finals, though they were important pieces during the regular season. Ezeli averaged 2.0 points, 1.9 rebounds and 0.1 blocks per game in the series, while Barnes shot 35.2 percent in the Finals and went an abysmal 5-of-32 over the final three games.

Nowitzki was the 2006-07 NBA MVP and the 2010-11 NBA Finals MVP when Dallas knocked off James’ Miami Heat. Had he been in the lineup instead of one of those two, the Warriors may have won their second consecutive Larry O’Brien Trophy.

Golden State led the league with 114.9 points per game in 2015-16, and Nowitzki would give the team another proven scorer. He is sixth on the NBA’s all-time scoring list behind some impressive company:

NBA's All-Time Scoring List Rank Player Points
1 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 38,387
2 Karl Malone 36,928
3 Kobe Bryant 33,643
4 Michael Jordan 32,292
5 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
6 Dirk Nowitzki 29,491

The 7-footer can shoot threes (38.1 percent in his career), take advantage of mismatches down low and hit fadeaway jumpers from the elbow. Even at 37 years old in 2015-16, Nowitzki averaged 18.3 points per game in his 18th season in the league.

The Mavericks legend wouldn’t have to worry about the pressure that comes with being the primary scorer if he plays alongside Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. He could also take advantage of openings when opposing defenses focus the majority of their attention on those three weapons.

Nowitzki’s three-point ability would also fit in perfectly with the sharpshooting Warriors, who led the NBA with a 41.6 percent mark from downtown in 2015-16, and he is versatile enough to play power forward in bigger lineups or fill in at center when Golden State goes small.

The Warriors figure to be among the league’s best teams in 2016-17 after winning a record 73 games during the 2015-16 campaign. Adding Nowitzki would only make them more formidable.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...n-star-forward
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #112
tap2390
Diamond Member

Warriors can go fuck themselves. They're not landing Dirk.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #113
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Tis the way of this year's free agency. Soon it will be the Spurs, then Thunder, then Cavs, and so on who will be a "serious" suitor for Dirk.

What the Warriors must not seem to understand is the last thing they need is shooting.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #114
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

But Dirk is a reliable shooter, regardless of the moment. I can totally see why they would go after him. Im glad Dirk's name is out there for the publicity. He was efficient as FK this season and its nice to see teams noticing that.

However, its a nice thought, but we know deep down Dirk isnt going anywhere. In some alternate universe that he did go to the Warriors, I would go to Golden State decked in Mavs/Dirk gear to represent.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #115
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I really think if we can get Parsons, DWill, Howard (barf) signed, we have a good shot in the Western Conference as a 6 seed at worst. WC is trending downward. Its still a gauntlet, especially in the division but Clippers are at a plateau and Grizzlies arent getting younger. Sacramento is the same mess, PHX is the same mess. I could see Portland taking a step back just on the fact that they outperformed this season...A lot can happen in the free agency though.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #116
Underdog

GSW would have won a ring this year if they had Dirk... And Dirk deserves another ring.

Man, I have conflicting feelings about this one.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #117
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
GSW would have won a ring this year if they had Dirk... And Dirk deserves another ring.

Man, I have conflicting feelings about this one.
Dirk for KLove?

Hang on...

Ok back.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #118
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Dirk for KLove?
Cleveland would definitely benefit from that... Hell, they can just go after Dirk in free agency if they can unload Love somewhere else. Why mess around with Dirk-lite when you can just have the real thing?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #119
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Cleveland ... can just go after Dirk in free agency if they can unload Love somewhere else.
That's what I was thinking. If Dirk decides to remain a Maverick for his entire career, there is not enough good things that can be said about him. Period.

If he decides to got to Cleveland or Golden State, yes I will be rooting for him/them. I will be like Cuban though ... I will root for the Mavs to beat them when we play them and for them to win every single other game they play including a championship.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #120
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Actually, this could be a serious addition to both teams. What if GSW lands KD and then Cleveland turns around and adds Dirk?
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote