Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #81
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Lol you have to stop being so delusional. No one wants to come to Dallas. There is 0% chance Conley comes here.
Nah I'll stick with discussing about options. Not like I've been talking about chasing Durant.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #82
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Conley ain't coming here. Not after Whiteside decided to stay. Dirk isn't going to come off the bench for Ryan f'n Anderson.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #83
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Nah I'll stick with discussing about options. Not like I've been talking about chasing Durant.
Your lineup was a scenario of landing Conley Ryan Anderson and Biyombo. That's so far from a realistic option at this moment.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #84
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: The Mavs have no plans to target Dwight Howard or Bismack Biyombo at this point after missing out on Hassan Whiteside, a source told ESPN.com. As has been the case for months, the Mavs' stance on Howard is that their interest depends on his price tag plummeting far below a maximum contract.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #85
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The joke of the offseason isn't that the Mavs missed out on Conley/Whiteside or even Parsons. The joke is that they really had no other plan and somehow don't expect to rebuild. This is the first offseason, ever after missing out summer after summer, that I actually believe the FO doesn't know what they are doing.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #86
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The joke of the offseason isn't that the Mavs missed out on Conley/Whiteside or even Parsons. The joke is that they really had no other plan and somehow don't expect to rebuild. This is the first offseason, ever after missing out summer after summer, that I actually believe the FO doesn't know what they are doing.
And thats a pretty big joke in and of itself. Fisher says they knew the odds were low and they still went with it without a backup plan.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #87
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
And thats a pretty big joke in and of itself. Fisher says they knew the odds were low and they still went with it without a backup plan.
There really was nothing else to do. They were done with Parsons, and don't like Howard. Thier plans haven't changed since 2011. Matthews was signed only as part of the DAJ fishing attempt. Parsons himself was a big fish gamble when he was signed. It's always been big fish or else. At least they drafted Anderson.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #88
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Just read Evan Turner will get a four year $75M deal (Portland).

Evan Fournier will sign an extension giving him 5 years and $85M (stays with Magic).

Last edited by purplefrog; 07-01-2016 at 02:41 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #89
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, it appears our FO has misread the market. The amount of money that is going to guys who are second, or even third, tier players is ridiculous.

I just don't see any way this team ever gets out of this death spiral. At this point I would say blow it up and rebuild with youth...but outside of Anderson--who I love but is unproven--this FO's draft history is really bad. Josh Howard, Devin Harris, then a decade of total failure. I get that they haven't had high picks, but really, you look at their draftees, and it looks like they haven't even been trying.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Once again, it appears our FO has misread the market. The amount of money that is going to guys who are second, or even third, tier players is ridiculous.

I just don't see any way this team ever gets out of this death spiral. At this point I would say blow it up and rebuild with youth...but outside of Anderson--who I love but is unproven--this FO's draft history is really bad. Josh Howard, Devin Harris, then a decade of total failure. I get that they haven't had high picks, but really, you look at their draftees, and it looks like they haven't even been trying.
This. When you're a mediocre or outright bad team, you're never going to be a big player in the FA market.

I firmly believe that building and maintaining a successful NBA team always starts with the draft. When you get talented young players on their rookie contracts, it opens countless doors. I think that more than anything is the key difference between the Mavs and the Spurs- Spurs are ALWAYS finding diamonds in the rough, whereas the Mavs haven't gotten anything out of the draft in over a decade.

BTW, I can't help but notice that the Mavs draft drought started right when Nellie left. Gotta hand that to old Nellie- he knew how to evaluate talent. I can't say the same for his son.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #91
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The FO is toxic. They got lazy and stopped developing guys. No, they aren't bad in the draft. They've done well, but then don't have $&%# for developement guys.

We're at least average in the draft. We just always undervalue the use of drafting AND development. When we have a pick, we do well. We just give away our picks too quickly and have no desire to develop guys. Instead we want to overpay for guys who have already developed.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #92
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
The FO is toxic. They got lazy and stopped developing guys. No, they aren't bad in the draft. They've done well, but then don't have $&%# for developement guys.

We're at least average in the draft. We just always undervalue the use of drafting AND development. When we have a pick, we do well. We just give away our picks too quickly and have no desire to develop guys. Instead we want to overpay for guys who have already developed.
The post-2011 Mavs are starting to resemble the post-triplets Cowboys.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #93
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head. They simply misjudged this market. Basically for whatever you want to pay a player you have to add about 10 million per year to that salary. If a guy is worth 4 million he will get about 14. IF he's worth 15 he will get about 25.......
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #94
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The great irony of this is Cuban is the one who mis-read the new CBA. They never adjusted to not being able to go over the cap to buy their way out of problems.

As much flack as Presti has gotten for the Harden trade at least he got something very valuable back in Steven Adams on a cheap deal. And whatever ancillary pieces they acquired and flipped. And now selling on Ibaka for assets. MBT has a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the game is played
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@kg_veteran: Sources: Mavs rebuffed by former C Shawn Bradley, who says "even I won't sign for what they're offering."

Old 07-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #96
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Clearly they give away picks too easily...but they've been pretty atrocious even when they do have picks. Here's a list of guys they drafted and/or traded for on draft day since 2004; players they drafted for another team and immediately traded are not included.

2004: Devin Harris, Pavel Podkolzine, Luis Flores
2005: No picks
2006: Mo Ager
2007: Nick Fazekas, Renaldas Seibutis, Reshawn Terry
2008: Shan Foster
2009: Roddy B, Nick Calathes, Ahmad Nivins
2010: Dominique Jones
2011: Traded away both draft picks for rights to Petteri Koponen
2012: Jared Cunningham, Bernard James, Jae Crowder
2013: Shane Larkin, Ricky Ledo
2014: No picks
2015: Justin Anderson, Satnam Singh

Twelve years of drafting, and your highlight, other than Harris, and a too-soon-to-tell Anderson, is Jae Crowder. I believe Larkin is the only other guy on the list who is even on an NBA roster.

My confidence in the ability of this FO to rebuild through the draft is not high.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #97
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Clearly they give away picks too easily...but they've been pretty atrocious even when they do have picks. Here's a list of guys they drafted and/or traded for on draft day since 2004; players they drafted for another team and immediately traded are not included.

Twelve years of drafting, and your highlight, other than Harris, and a too-soon-to-tell Anderson, is Jae Crowder. I believe Larkin is the only other guy on the list who is even on an NBA roster.

My confidence in the ability of this FO to rebuild through the draft is not high.
Roddy might well have been a star if his career wasn't ruined by foot injuries. But yeah, other than that small caveat, yeah that's a pretty atrocious record.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #98
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Listing a bunch of draft picks is trash, particularly without ANY context. Is a team a bad drafting team if it drafts a bust at 58 in an awful draft? A team shouldn't be judged only on a list of picks. We traded away a LOT of picks and they certainly deserve flack for that but making a list like that is awful. Compare their record at where they were drafting and you get at least an average drafting team.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #99
Underdog

@DannyWebster21: Anthony Bennett has worked out for NBA teams this summer, but not the Mavs. Source says Dallas could be an option down the road.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #100
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

2009 was a great pick with Roddy until the french national team ruined his career
2010 sucked (oh irony, Whiteside was projected mid-20s and fell until 33
2012 was semi-ok with Crowder. Sarge was a waste and (oh irony) GS picked up Green one pick later
2013 was awesome because Donnie was ready to draft Giannis until Cuban ruined it
2015 looks good so far

Its not so bad but we failed two times. Not drafting Giannis is probably the biggest mistake during Cubans time, even bigger than not paying Mavs-Nash (we would never see Suns-Nash in Dallas anyway)

2012 could had been awesome if we went after the double perimeter tough guy and draft Green and Crowder...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #101
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know if they misread the market. The plan all along could have been to not participate in the madness if they struck out on their top three targets. Cuban went into the DAJ free angency wanting to tank if they whiffed, but presumably Dirk changed his mind. Perhaps Cuban still wants to go with the draft and develop method, and talked Dirk into opting out, so he can leave when the pipe dream whiffs again.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #102
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Listing a bunch of draft picks is trash, particularly without ANY context. Is a team a bad drafting team if it drafts a bust at 58 in an awful draft? A team shouldn't be judged only on a list of picks. We traded away a LOT of picks and they certainly deserve flack for that but making a list like that is awful. Compare their record at where they were drafting and you get at least an average drafting team.
Whether it was because they made bad choices at the picks they had, or because they were constantly trading away picks, the one thing that's certain is that the Mavs' entire approach to drafting is ass backwards. They have always treated it like an afterthought.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #103
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Let's be clear--I'm not "making a list" here. The Mavericks made that list.

The simple fact is, they have not drafted NBA-caliber players even when they had first round picks, and they've too often traded down or out of their picks. That tells me they don't know how to draft.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #104
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather tank than pay f'in Evan Turner 18.75 million a season!! Now THAT is preposterous. And I'm one who doesn't hate Turner around here.

That probably means Jeff Green is 15 mil a season easy. Wouldn't mind the Mavs getting him, but nope.

Just tank. Please. The FO can save face saying it's time and letting Dirk move on.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #105
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff from Zach Lowe as always.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...ba-free-agency

Quote:
But the Mavs have mishandled most of the things they do control. They traded down in drafts to save money, traded out of them and whiffed on most of the picks they did make. Donnie Nelson, the team's GM, begged Cuban to draft Giannis Antetokounmpo at No. 13 in 2013, but the Mavs instead traded down five spots to open up a few hundred thousand bucks in extra cap space for Dwight Howard. They ended up drafting Shane Larkin at No. 18 as part of a deal that sent away their first-round pick from the year before.

Fewer teams had cap room then, but the Mavs could have picked 13th and found other ways to dump money in a pinch.

Team building is hard, and it requires major luck somewhere along the way. Most picks below the lottery yield back-of-the-rotation guys or total busts. But to sustain success, you eventually have to hit on a few of them. Roddy Beaubois, the No. 25 pick in 2009, might have turned into a hit had foot injuries not ruined his career. Justin Anderson, the 21st pick last year, looks like a hoppy and versatile wing perfect for the modern NBA. The hits don't have to be Kawhi Leonard at No. 15, or Draymond Green in the second round. One or two Jae Crowders will do.

The Mavs had the real Jae Crowder, and included him (plus this year's pick) in their ill-fated gamble for Rajon Rondo. Boston got Brandan Wright in that deal, too. Crowder and Wright will earn $12 million combined next season, about 60 percent of Kent Bazemore's likely salary. Dallas was brilliant to snag Al-Farouq Aminu on a minimum salary in 2014-15, but then let him walk to Portland to carve out max cap space for DeAndre Jordan.

Dallas sacrificed a lot of good under-27 players in the pursuit of great ones, and the odds got worse when the cap boom gave everyone space. Chandler Parsons is the latest such casualty. He went from bro-in-chief to outcast in record time, and no one will say exactly why. His knee issues certainly frustrated the Mavs, especially given the timing of flare-ups; Parsons appeared in just one of Dallas' 10 playoff games over the past two seasons.

The Mavs' decision that Parsons is no longer a max player offended him, and the market has proved Parsons right; Memphis has offered him a max contract pending a physical that promises to be one of the most suspenseful moments of this free-agency period.

Parsons didn't find a groove in Dallas until January, and he's a minus defender. But he's a high-IQ guy who shot 39 percent from deep in Dallas and can shoot, pass and dribble across both forward spots. He's never made an All-Star team, and he's not a foundational piece. No one knows how his right knee will hold up going forward

But Parsons is good, and the Mavs can't afford to let good 27-year-olds walk away without a Plan B. Their Plan A appears to have been a double-barreled signing of Mike Conley and Hassan Whiteside, but that left them once again at the mercy of variables they cannot control. Stud free agents want to see players with whom they can grow, but the Mavs have mostly punted on such players to pursue stud free agents.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #106
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Like i said, the 2013 draft brainfart from Cuban will go down as his biggest mistake
Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #107
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd rather tank than pay f'in Evan Turner 18.75 million a season!! Now THAT is preposterous. And I'm one who doesn't hate Turner around here.

That probably means Jeff Green is 15 mil a season easy. Wouldn't mind the Mavs getting him, but nope.

Just tank. Please. The FO can save face saying it's time and letting Dirk move on.
I think the Mavs have only $31M committed (not including Dirk). I believe the salary floor is $80M. So, they might have somewhere in the neighborhood of $50M to spend to get to the minimum. Is that possible? I guess you can give Dirk $30M and DWill $10M, and then use the rest on scraps??? Or, you can try to put together a couple of $12-$15M contracts and give Dirk + DWill less, and move closer to the salary cap.

Edit: Salary floor is 90% of the salary cap. So, if the cap is set at $94M, then the floor is $84.6M. The penalties are not dramatic, in fact what happens is the team takes the difference between team salary and the floor and then distributes that amount evenly among the players.

Last edited by purplefrog; 07-01-2016 at 04:39 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #108
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Let's be clear--I'm not "making a list" here. The Mavericks made that list.

The simple fact is, they have not drafted NBA-caliber players even when they had first round picks, and they've too often traded down or out of their picks. That tells me they don't know how to draft.
I think historical perspective backed by facts would prove you wrong.

Have we gotten very little from the draft? Certainly, but that's because we had bad draft position and traded away too many picks. When we keep picks, we're basically in line with the historical norm for all Thirty teams.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm
Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #109
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

Great stuff, thanks for posting -- don't disagree with anything Lowe says here.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #110
sefant77
Guru

So Deron and Deng to the rescue?

Oh and getting Tyson back...

Last edited by sefant77; 07-01-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #111
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #112
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
So Deron and Deng to the rescue?

Oh and getting Tyson back...
Deng is 15 mil a year easy. Mavs won't pay that.

Not sure they'd pony up for Williams, either.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #113
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

Love it. Centering your draft around money....for a guy like Cuban, is embarrassing. When you fail in free agency....you still have the draft and trades to kick back on, this is where you can't wait and you can't trust your scouting department....oh is there a salary cap on your scouting department? 3-4 failed experiences in FA, has got to clue you in on something.....we can't sign FA....lets focus on the drafts, improve our scouting. The 2011 team was built on trades, Kidd, Chandler, Butler, Haywood.....Marion was the biggest FA get on that team.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #114
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Love it. Centering your draft around money....for a guy like Cuban, is embarrassing. When you fail in free agency....you still have the draft and trades to kick back on, this is where you can't wait and you can't trust your scouting department....oh is there a salary cap on your scouting department? 3-4 failed experiences in FA, has got to clue you in on something.....we can't sign FA....lets focus on the drafts, improve our scouting. The 2011 team was built on trades, Kidd, Chandler, Butler, Haywood.....Marion was the biggest FA get on that team.
Cuban seems to be so far the only one who does not understand that pretty much nobody joins Mavs on their free will. It is either average players or old veterans trying to rejuvenate their careers (Carter, D-Will). He should have learned it after first round of DWill and Howard... One would have thought he learned it with DeAndra but I guess he pissed his pants by being so close of signing then marquee player, so he had to continue in the hopes that eventually someone comes.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #115
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@DannyWebster21: Anthony Bennett has worked out for NBA teams this summer, but not the Mavs. Source says Dallas could be an option down the road.
It had to be you. I guess the way you look tonight, I'll take a chance on love. I can't give you anything but love anyways.

Well maybe a cheek to cheek too.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #116
Underdog

‏@daldridgetnt: Washington, San Antonio and Minnesota in the mix for C Ian Mahinmi, who won’t return to Indy next year after Pacers’ deal w/Al Jefferson.

@daldridgetnt: Charlotte, Dallas, Portland and Orlando also working on Mahinmi.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-01-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #117
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
There really was nothing else to do. They were done with Parsons, and don't like Howard. Thier plans haven't changed since 2011. Matthews was signed only as part of the DAJ fishing attempt. Parsons himself was a big fish gamble when he was signed. It's always been big fish or else. At least they drafted Anderson.
There's plenty else. But you said it best. Always been big fish or else. That's Cubans problem. Dallas isn't a destination for big fish. You can't keep going for the hottest girl in the room. We do have to overpay that's the reality of the situation. Or we end up with wasting the last 5 years of our only superstar.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #118
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

" mike fisher ✭ @fishsports

#Mavs are not involved in chasing Ian Mahinmi. Sorry. https://twitter.com/MavsNetwork/stat...50447898431488
8:23 PM - 1 Jul 2016 "

LOL, okay, we seriously have to be just tanking now, right?

And even if we are just tanking, how the hell are we going to fill out 90% of the cap?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #119
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
LOL, okay, we seriously have to be just tanking now, right?

And even if we are just tanking, how the hell are we going to fill out 90% of the cap?
1) There are still a lot of talented players left.

2) There are still a lot of teams with a lot of cap space left.

So.....

Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #120
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Wade serious about teaming up with Dirk in their last ride?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...012602222.html
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote