Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-24-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default For some, it's best to wait

Howard Article

For some, it's best to wait
Four years of school helped Howard graduate to the pros

Sunday, November 23, 2003
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

It has become obvious that LeBron James would have been wasting his time if he had gone to college this year.

But for most NBA players, college is a crucial part of their basketball education. Josh Howard is a perfect example.

Physically, Howard didn't change while he was at Wake Forest. "I think I gained maybe 10 pounds, total, in four years," he says.

While so many of us wish we could make the same claim, Howard's point is clear. His body was pretty much finished growing by the time he got to college. His mind, however, grew with sponge-like speed.

"Mentally, those four years help you mature a whole lot faster," Howard says. "You're calmer, and you always remember that there's another trip down the court no matter what just happened."

Howard, 23, has become a solid part of the Mavericks' playing rotation, something that normally doesn't happen to rookies under coach Don Nelson. Howard barely slid into the first round as the 29th overall pick of the draft. But he nonetheless has beaten the odds by earning meaningful playing time in the first month of the season.

"Naturally, he's more advanced than a guy coming out of high school," guard Michael Finley said. "He has a lot more games under his belt, maybe not at the NBA level, but the college level is definitely better than the high school level. The more games you get in college, the better."

This season, 10 of the 20 Americans who were drafted attended college for four seasons. Last year, eight of the 22 Americans who were drafted were four-year collegians.

In Howard's case, staying in school undoubtedly was the right thing to do. He toyed briefly with the idea of going pro after his junior season, but thought better of it.

Now, he's far ahead of some of the high schoolers and other collegians who didn't stay in school four years who also were drafted late in the first round.

"He understands," guard Steve Nash says simply. "He's so much more ready to play than someone who didn't play four years in college. He learns much easier.

"One problem is when you take these young guys, by the time their rookie contract is up, they maybe haven't quite panned out yet. So there is a risk."

Based on this season, drafting college seniors late in the first round or early in the second is a safer bet than taking a chance on a teenager. None of the top-six picks were college seniors.

"It's worked out well for me," Howard says. "Some guys are ready before that. But there's no reason to look back on it. I did what's right for me."
Old 11-24-2003, 03:32 AM   #2
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road
Default RE:For some, it's best to wait

This summer was the summer of the Maverick Bandits. We robbed the celtics and the warriors. We also stole Josh Howard.

Seems like Josh has a bright future. Everyone break out the old Howard jerseys. They are coming back in style.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Howard Article

For some, it's best to wait
Four years of school helped Howard graduate to the pros

Sunday, November 23, 2003
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

It has become obvious that LeBron James would have been wasting his time if he had gone to college this year.

But for most NBA players, college is a crucial part of their basketball education. Josh Howard is a perfect example.

Physically, Howard didn't change while he was at Wake Forest. "I think I gained maybe 10 pounds, total, in four years," he says.

While so many of us wish we could make the same claim, Howard's point is clear. His body was pretty much finished growing by the time he got to college. His mind, however, grew with sponge-like speed.

"Mentally, those four years help you mature a whole lot faster," Howard says. "You're calmer, and you always remember that there's another trip down the court no matter what just happened."

Howard, 23, has become a solid part of the Mavericks' playing rotation, something that normally doesn't happen to rookies under coach Don Nelson. Howard barely slid into the first round as the 29th overall pick of the draft. But he nonetheless has beaten the odds by earning meaningful playing time in the first month of the season.

"Naturally, he's more advanced than a guy coming out of high school," guard Michael Finley said. "He has a lot more games under his belt, maybe not at the NBA level, but the college level is definitely better than the high school level. The more games you get in college, the better."

This season, 10 of the 20 Americans who were drafted attended college for four seasons. Last year, eight of the 22 Americans who were drafted were four-year collegians.

In Howard's case, staying in school undoubtedly was the right thing to do. He toyed briefly with the idea of going pro after his junior season, but thought better of it.

Now, he's far ahead of some of the high schoolers and other collegians who didn't stay in school four years who also were drafted late in the first round.

"He understands," guard Steve Nash says simply. "He's so much more ready to play than someone who didn't play four years in college. He learns much easier.

"One problem is when you take these young guys, by the time their rookie contract is up, they maybe haven't quite panned out yet. So there is a risk."

Based on this season, drafting college seniors late in the first round or early in the second is a safer bet than taking a chance on a teenager. None of the top-six picks were college seniors.

"It's worked out well for me," Howard says. "Some guys are ready before that. But there's no reason to look back on it. I did what's right for me."
I really like Howard but the Mavs are loaded at the SF spot. Do you think Howard is being showcased for a trade? I hope he's just being groomed as Finley's backup.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I believe he is being groomed as Finleys backup right now and there lies no doubt in my mind that Howard will be a good player as long as he continues to develope both mentally and physically. He's well balanced with both offense and defense and has the physical attributes that will allow him to compete with the best players. We'll have to see how he pans out but I am excited about seeing him develope as a player to say the least

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I hope they're grooming him as Finley's replacement when Finley either retires or is traded (I'm hoping for the former). He seems like a model citizen and a great ballplayer both offensively and defensively. He is a good guy to cornerstone our future beyond the Big 5. And for now, he's a great role player.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:19 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

He had a great game defensively against Denver. He definately does not give up on a play. That's probably why he fouled out, but it made for some great blocks and steals. He recovers well against other players and does not get lost on picks and complicated offenses. At times, he seemed separated from his man, but when his man got the ball, he was right there, and it was clear that he knew where his man was the whole time.

His size is a difficult thing for other teams. He's long, but he's very quick. He's a bit thin, but he's so well studied defensively, that you can't assume that you can post him or push him around.

Offensively, he can create and he's got a soft touch on his shot. Nellie must have given him the ok to shoot, because he shot a little early a few times, but he's a rookie. I also like the fact that he doesn't get bothered by his mistakes.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2

I really like Howard but the Mavs are loaded at the SF spot. Do you think Howard is being showcased for a trade? I hope he's just being groomed as Finley's backup.
I'm sure that Howard is being groomed as Fin's replacement. The mavs aren't loaded at Swingmen, guys who can play both the 2 and the 3. Fin can and after him you have Howard and Daniels. TAW can also but he's on IR. Najera, Jamison, Walker, and Dirk can all play the 3 and 4; but none of them can legitimately play the 2. Fin's only veteran backup at the 2 is undersized Tony Delk. So we definitely need Howard.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

One Step at a Time
Mavericks' Howard adjusting to new life as a rookie in NBA

By John Delong
JOURNAL REPORTER
Tuesday, November 25, 2003

In theory, Josh Howard understood from the start that he would have to pay his dues this season with the Dallas Mavericks.

In theory, Howard understood that he would have to experience the growing pains that come with being a rookie in the NBA.

But accepting something in theory is one thing, and actually living through the tough times is something very different.

That's the position that Howard finds himself in these days, early in a professional-basketball career that he dreamed of as a youngster growing up in Winston-Salem and then throughout a stellar career at Wake Forest.

Four weeks into the regular season, he's getting sporadic playing time as a backup small forward on a veteran team loaded with stars - and he's trying his best to keep it from getting him down.

"I knew coming in that I probably wasn't going to play that much," Howard said last week. "But coming from somewhere where I played all my life, it is kinda hard. So I'm just trying to keep a level head and not let it get to me too much. I'm going to be fine. I am fine. But it is hard sometimes."

Howard was the Mavs' top draft pick and the 29th overall pick in last June's NBA Draft, after a senior season at Wake in which he was the ACC's player of the year.

Entering tonight's game against Denver, Howard is averaging just 10.2 minutes a game.

The stat line: 4.0 points, 2.6 rebounds and 0.8 assists a game, on .340 shooting from the field and .250 from 3-point range. His best game came last week in a win at Memphis, when he got his only start and had eight points and five rebounds in 14 minutes.

"I feel like I'm playing well when I get in there, and I'm learning a lot," Howard said. "It's just that you never know when you're going to play or how much you're going to play, and that takes getting used to. I haven't been in a situation like this since my freshman year at Wake, really.

"But it's not like I'm unhappy. I know I'm in a good place. I'm trying to focus on the positives. I'm already on a playoff team, so I'm going to get the experience of the playoffs and get in close to 100 games this year. I'm not going to be going home in April like a lot of guys. That's going to help me in the long run. And when my chance comes, I'll go out and play like I did at Wake."

The Mavericks, 9-4 and in first place in the Midwest Division, say that they are higher on Howard now than ever. They stress that Howard is very much a part of their long-range plans.

It's just that several factors are working against his getting many minutes on a consistent basis.

This is a deep, veteran team that won 60 games last season and went to the Western Conference finals, and it has title aspirations this year. There are four current or former All-Stars capable of playing the wing positions - Antoine Walker, Michael Finley, Antawn Jamison and Dirk Nowitzki.

Even when Coach Don Nelson goes with a "small" lineup and Nowitzki and/or Jamison play inside, that doesn't leave much opportunity for Howard.

"He's going to have to fight for minutes this year because he's a rookie," Donn Nelson, the coach's son and the Mavs' president of basketball operations, said. "But that doesn't mean we're down on him at all. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. He's a piece that is going to be pretty integral to us going forward. He's so multi-skilled. His handle is even better than we thought it would be. He's a pretty good decision-maker. His range is getting there. And his defensive rebounding is at an NBA level right now.

"He's just going through your typical adjustment period. The athletes and the caliber of player you go up against on a nightly basis now are just a totally different animal. But he's learning fast. And actually, for Nellie and the kind of team we have, he's getting pretty good contingent minutes. We're trying to wean him as quickly as we can."

The elder Nelson has become notorious over the years for his disdain for rookies and his reluctance to play them no matter how good they are. He played in an era when rookies were expected to carry the veterans' bags on road trips and pay their proper dues.

Nelson carries that to the point that he rarely refers to Howard by his name. Howard, and fellow rookie Marquis Daniels, are simply called "Rook." And insiders say that Nelson often takes out his frustrations with other players on the rookies, using them as the scapegoat.

That's a part of the NBA that Howard wasn't expecting.

"I didn't know he was like that coming in," Howard said. "He really lays it on the rookies. There are times it's like, no matter what is wrong, it's the rookies' fault. There were times I started believing it really was my fault, but then the veterans told me how it worked.

"So now, I try to just keep rolling when I'm in those situations. I just try to bite my tongue and not get caught up in all that and just keep playing ball. If that's his philosophy, I can't make him change. All I can do is show him how good I am when I'm out there on the court."

Donn Nelson smiles at the notion that his father is putting Howard through a rookie initiation of sorts.

Yes, it happens. No, it doesn't mean Nellie is mad at Howard.

"He's hardest on the rookies he likes the most," Donn Nelson said. "The problem is, sometimes you have to reach for reasons with Josh. He picks things up quickly. But nonetheless, Nellie's going to make sure he earns every minute.

"I think Josh will look back at this later in his career and appreciate it. When players come of age, they look back at that first year as a real growing one, and they appreciate a coach being tough on them and making them earn those minutes."

The elder Nelson actually has kind words about Howard.

"We like him a lot," he said. "He rebounds, he can score and guard, and he's an all-around player. He could play in an NBA game for 25, 30 minutes, no problem. He's going to hurt you a little bit because he's going to make some rookie mistakes, but he's not the normal rookie.

"It's just that the situation we're in, we want to win now. If he was on a bad team and you knew you're going to lose some games, then you could bring him along faster. But this will be better for him in the long run."

Otherwise, things seem to be going well.

Howard admits to being a little homesick, but an aunt lives in the Dallas area and his family is planning a trip to visit soon.

He said he is thoroughly enjoying the NBA lifestyle, especially the travel. The Mavs have played in Los Angeles, Washington, Toronto, Oakland and San Antonio already, and that has allowed him to see parts of the country he had not seen.

And, he's a bit awed by the first-class treatment given everyone in the organization by Mark Cuban, the Mavs' billionaire owner.

"It's first-class all the way," Howard said. "He puts everything out there to where basically all we have to do is play. Who wouldn't want to be part of an organization like this? I mean, they really take care of us. It's like college all over again except you don't have to go to class."

The most encouraging part for Howard is, things have been known to change quickly with the Mavs.

This is not an organization that stands still very long. Howard was in line for significant playing time before the trade that sent Raef Lafrentz, Chris Mills and Jiri Welsch to Boston for Walker and Tony Delk on Oct. 20. If Nelson and Cuban get an itchy trigger finger and try to deal Finley or Jamison soon, Howard could be back in the mix quickly.

"You never know what might happen," Howard said. "It's a business, and they're always going to look to better the team, and if you're not producing they're going to find a way to improve the team. I probably lost some playing time when they made the last trade, but I'm kinda glad they did because it made us a better team.

"Everything happens for a reason. So I'm just going to continue to work hard, so when the opportunity comes I'll be ready. It's tough, but I think I'm keeping my head straight. It's going to pay off. And when it does, I'll be able to look back on these times and say, 'I knew it was going to get better.' I just have to keep up the faith until then."