Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-19-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mr. Ed

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mr. Ed

Im just wondering where all the non-politcal and non-partisan threads went to. It seems they've been kidnapped.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:01 AM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

E.L. - I myself miss the fun filled days of visiting the lounge.

Its not that I don't appreciate the political threads - I do. I'm glad we have posters who care about the political process. It just seems as if we have 1/2 dozen threads started every day that cover virtually the same topic. I actually liked O.P.'s idea about having an "umbrella" thread, but others did not. Oh well. I guess that's the way it goes. Maybe when November rolls around, things will return to "normal" - whatever that was.

Maybe tomorrow I will start 20 threads about why I hate toe fungus - with each new thread giving us a different perspective on the world of spore-producing organisms.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mr. Ed

Yeah... I think the guy that eats fish every day for lunch and to some extent dude, mavdog, and reeds have hijacked this forum and are intending on turning it into the "Bash the other side Politico" forum.

Enough people! You win, your (whomever "your" side is) side is 100% right!!! Please stop ramming it down our throats.

Let the lounge be fun again.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yeah, the Lounge has been murdered.

Our safety valve for the Mavs section has been blowed.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Most humbly apologise kind posters. But it's difficult to sit back and allow one side to take free pot shots. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

No offense Dude, but most of these threads are being started by your side of the fence .

Hopefully, both sides will blow themselves out soon...and we can resume normal life.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yeah... I think the guy that eats fish every day for lunch and to some extent dude, mavdog, and reeds have hijacked this forum and are intending on turning it into the "Bash the other side Politico" forum.

Enough people! You win, your (whomever "your" side is) side is 100% right!!! Please stop ramming it down our throats.

Let the lounge be fun again.
gee, I didn't know that any of the threads were "being ram[ed] down your throat"....after all, you could just not hit on the thread.

With all due respect, I haven't been a long time lounge poster, visiting it infrequently as I looked at the Mavs stuff. What i saw tho as the political season began was a group of other politically interested posters who, although mostly of different leanings than I, seemed to enjoy the back and forth of political discourse. Well, let me abridge that to say some have discourse, while others have rhetoric...but nonetheless thought provoking (I hope). That to me is the purpose of a political thread, to shed light on an issue to make everyone a bit smarter and sharper about that issue.

Yes, arguing politics is "fun" to some and not to others. Most of those on this forum who disagree with me I have found to be well intentioned, well read and civil in their comments/posts, and that keeps it "fun", although that doesn't change the fact that they are wrong [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So no intent or desire to "hijack" anything, merely a desire to engage in the back and forth debate on our politicos as we head into the full throttle election campaign that is unfolding.

Hopefully there is room for ALL the topics you, I and others like to talk about.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think it will blow out anytime soon. Unfortunately the evil terry mccauliffe, by pulling this stuff so early has given us 8 months of the same two guys bashing each others brains out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Of course I don't mind at all the political talk, mavs basketball is one thing, history in the making is quite another. I'm not sure I can get too much of that. Maybe a political junkies forum heading would help the lounge get back to being the hip-cat, chic place it once was. These are historic times we are debating/living through which will affect the world for many years. Decisions made now will have (are having) very long-term effects. I can't think of much else more important or interesting to talk about.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I'm sorry, but one side of the fence opening a thread to post a drawing of Kerry isn't "enlightening discussion" by any means...it's total BS that's just causing clutter.

Mavdog, you really don't get the point, do you ? It's getting to the point where there are NOT OTHER threads to click on. All people are getting is these political threads on every page.

If you don't get the point, then please just get some manners.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

Well as they say one person's clutter is another's treasure. (I don't think they actually say that but might.) I agree a Mr. Ed. cartoon isn't highbrow political speak, but co-star movie thread II doesn't do much for my brain cells either.
I've never been a poster in the lounge for just that reason. Now I've perused the jokes thread periodically, that's ok. But in general our "hip" culture is kinda rude and crude to me, not that interesting.

I like a good movie, but I don't see that much out of hollywood that furthers much imho. I used to be an avid movie-goer, now I'm much more of a dvd renter. Serial murderers being lionized, gratuitous sex-scenes don't do it for me.

I think I've seen three movies that I really liked this year. LOTR, Seabiscuit, Last Samurai. About it. Unfortunately I boycotted Mystic River. I probably would have liked that one as I really like Squints' movies, but cannot abide Robbins/Penn.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #12
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm sorry, but one side of the fence opening a thread to post a drawing of Kerry isn't "enlightening discussion" by any means...it's total BS that's just causing clutter.
I agree, and that's why I didn't see any need to comment on what was a nonsensical item.

Quote:
Mavdog, you really don't get the point, do you ? It's getting to the point where there are NOT OTHER threads to click on. All people are getting is these political threads on every page.
Silly me, I thought the "point" was that some don't want to read political threads.

As I write this response, there are about 18 threads of which 11 are political in nature (of which at least 3 are tounge in cheek satires courtesy of dude, 1 your "all purpose" thread) leaving 7 of other topics, like movies. So I guess you have a vision issue...

As I stated above, hopefully there is room under the tent of dallas-mavs.com/lounge for ALL threads some deem to be of interest. My hope is that everyone can get along, using good manners and treat each other with respect, and not just knee jerk inane quips, like your following statement is BTW...

Quote:
If you don't get the point, then please just get some manners.
Physician heal thyself...
Old 03-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #13
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I am shocked that people want to talk about politics in the Lounge during the most important election in a few decades. Why not ban all political topics from the lounge because it offends some people. Rename the category (The Lounge - No Politics).

Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a forum entitled.....All Fish, All the Time?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

I am not the moderator, ask him/her to create one
Old 03-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well as they say one person's clutter is another's treasure
but really, who says this? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:19 PM   #17
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
but really, who says this?
usually people trying to sell the "clutter"....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

"it's your fault"

"no, it's mostly your fault"

"but i'm not as responsible for this as you are"

"you're just making that up"

"you don't know anything"

"you know less"

think we're having a rash of rotten posts/threads? if we don't like them, we could ignore them. that's how they go away, isn't it? for those who are happy with their threads - more power to ya, post away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2004, 10:56 PM   #19
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
What about a forum entitled.....All Fish, All the Time?
I like this idea. Let's move the politics to another forum. I have to have some place where I don't have to think.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:35 PM   #20
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Why not have four threads for politics?

One thread to bash Kerry and one thread to praise him. And one thread to bash Bush and the last one to praise him. Just have the mods lock any other thread immediately.

But I really don't see what everyone is so huffy about. The lounge had been dead for months before the political stuff started popping.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: smile_at_me10
"it's your fault"

"no, it's mostly your fault"

"but i'm not as responsible for this as you are"

"you're just making that up"

"you don't know anything"

"you know less"

think we're having a rash of rotten posts/threads? if we don't like them, we could ignore them. that's how they go away, isn't it? for those who are happy with their threads - more power to ya, post away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The problem is that most people seldomly go to forum pages beyond the front page. And with about 5-10 Kerry bashing threads opened up every day by the same two people that makes the "usual" lounge threads quickly disappear into nirvana.

I wanted to post about this for quite awhile now, but didn´t have the time. Alot of the solutions I could think about have allready been suggested. Like seperate Kerry and Bush bashing threads, or maybe a seperate forum.

How about creating a forum for "serious" talk like politics, or other serious stuff and having the lounge back as what it used to be. A place to have a little fun, and a place for board members to get to know each other besides the sports talk. The way it is right now the loiunge has got nothing of that kick back relax get together feeling.

The only other solution I see is that Fish and Dude (who open up nearly all of the political threads) take it a bit more easy. Maybe one thread per day? I´m sure no one would complain about that.

Edit: I´d like to add one thing. Like Rhylan said in another thread the style of political debates has been pretty questionable to say the least. Maybe the participants could show a little more respect for the "other side". I´m reading so much about freedom and democracy here, and I agree those are two of the main reasons why countries such as the US or Germany are so great. But a fundamental principle of every democracy is to respect the opinions of people who think different rather then to dissmiss them as horsepoo or belittle them as stupid "dimocrats". Guess what whithout those dimocrats there would be no democracy (same goes for the Republicans of course), and without those dimocrats (or in the case of Germany without the conservatives who are the opposition over here right now) the US might be very close to being one of those fasicst countrys I had to read about here so much in the last couple weaks.

So pratice what you preach. I do respect anyone around here who comes out with a well formulated opinion, and facts to back it up. How about trying to see things from a different perspective now and then. As a republican you don´t have to agree with democratic opinions. But if you do value freedom and democracy you should at least respect the opinions you disagree with and the person you are talking to. Cause that´s what democracy and freedom are about. And that is by the way why I´m glad to live in Germany and not Iran (and I´m really not taking a shot at anyone here in particular, just generaly speaking and just my opinion).

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

How can I limit it to one thread a day when kerry gives me so many items!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

All this tells me is that there either are not or never have been enough folks posting in the lounge to keep all of the political stuff off the front page.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #23
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Since you guys won't respond to Rhylan or Fidel or anyone else, Here ya go Dude:

Old 03-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #25
Mavdog
Diamond Member

clearly the Anti-spam regs aren't working.

Remember kids (and certainly 100 pics of a spam can is rather childish), you are what you eat...
Old 03-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

OP- that was rediculous.

The political threads are no different than the call to condense all the Happy Birthday or milestone threads. Those threads are still made wihtout being condensed....so should these. If you don't want to read them then don't click on them. It's not hard. Plus, like Max stated....the Lounge has been a morgue for weeks. At least the political threads get some action.

Post away politicos.......enjoy!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #27
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

El Compagre Loco.