Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default Forston

I think another significant part of victory last night is:

Malik Rose: 14 minutes, 5 pts, 4 rbs.
Danny Forston: 13 minutes, 5 pts, 5 rbs

Nellie played Fortson on Rose whenever he entered. I thought Fortson did an excellent job playing off the ball defense to get and deny Rose.

That was good to see.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE: Forston

Indeed.

But his Name is

ForTSon.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker
Nesterovic busy with Walker
The double team on Duncan with Dirk-Best or whoever

The only real weapon of SA left is Ginobili.

I think Howard could guard Ginobili pretty well.

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

Could beat the Spurs every time this year.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Forston

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

Is it really that easy? The analysis says that we should beat the Spurs everytime. I just can't believe it.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

He's relentless on the boards. I addition to his 5 boards last night, there was a Mavs possession is the 1st half where he bothered Duncan so much that Tim lost the ball out of bounds. That was equivalent to another offensive rebound.

I also like the fact that he has no interest in shooting. On of the criticisms that I heard from GS fans in the off-season was that although he's not an offensive threat, he likes to shoot. I haven't seen that. In fact, when he gets an offensive rebound and his prospects for a put back don't look good he's passing the ball out rather than forcing up a shot.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
He's relentless on the boards. I addition to his 5 boards last night, there was a Mavs possession is the 1st half where he bothered Duncan so much that Tim lost the ball out of bounds. That was equivalent to another offensive rebound.

I also like the fact that he has no interest in shooting. On of the criticisms that I heard from GS fans in the off-season was that although he's not an offensive threat, he likes to shoot. I haven't seen that. In fact, when he gets an offensive rebound and his prospects for a put back don't look good he's passing the ball out rather than forcing up a shot.
Watch Forston when he shoots a free throw. His motion looks like Karl Malone's
Old 11-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I am far from a fan of the potato, but he did play well last night and contributed to the win. When used on a limited basis as he was last night, Fortson can be very effective. It's when he's overused or placed in a too disadvantageous situation that he becomes a big liability. Danny just doesn't have the height nor the hops to make up for lack of the height, to play center in a lot of situations. Still if used right he can do well. He can be a good changeup to Shawn Bradley in limited minutes.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Fortson

Quote:
With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

You have six guys covering five Spurs*. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I bet that would work.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:43 AM   #9
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000

He has strict instructions from the coach.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

Did I see a different game from everyone else? I saw Finley guarding Parker most the night. He also guarded Ginobli and Hedo during stretches. I think he did another respectable job. So, why do I keep reading how Nash shut Parker down and how we need Howard and Delk to cover Ginobli?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

Is it really that easy? The analysis says that we should beat the Spurs everytime. I just can't believe it.
Course, there are only 2 games left. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

For the playoffs or finals we could give them a couple of games.

Being a little more serious: Dallas is way better than last year's team. Just wait for the pieces to get well arranged (to jell), and even when SA will do the same thing, to get better with the season advancing, SA won't be as tough as other seasons for the Mavs.

A last thing: hoops is easier than it looks, but the coaches and the media make it to look more complicated to raise their value, and for selling more. In the end, it's a matter of 5 against 5. Offense and defense. To score and not let to be scored. I have read the fundamentals, several times: they are not long and can be summarized in the previous 3 sentences. Of course they have to be played by the teams, but the Mavs and the Spurs already play them, thus, it's just about the matchups now.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Quote:
With

Fortson stopping Rose
Nash stopping Parker

Nash
Howard
Dirk
Walker
Fortson

You have six guys covering five Spurs*. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I bet that would work.
The benches also play [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
Put Howard, or Nash instead where you found the 6th, that's "whoever". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Btw, I think our bench is way better than theirs. Not really necessary to touch them.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: Fortson

Quote:
I saw Finley guarding Parker most the night.
I saw Nash making his best defense of the year, and on Parker precisely.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:09 PM   #14
Lonnie

Lonnie is on a distinguished road

Finley did a great job on defense the whole night, whether he gaurded parker or ginobli. Did either one of those two players really hurt us? It was only Duncan and Rasho. Parker and Manu were combined 7-27 (and that is due to some circus shots by ginobli). I dont see why Josh Howard is needed to shut down Ginobli when he already isnt producing. Finley is a very underrated defender and someone needs to give him some respect. Nellie wouldnt give him 40 minutes every night (escpecially when he is shooting well) if he didnt play any D.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #15
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked to have seen Howard in there some last night, simply because Fin played such heavy minutes, and, perhaps not coincidentally, by the end of the game he was useless offensively. That said, he did a good job defensively last night pretty much regardless of who he was on, so he deserves credit for that.

As for who was guarding who, I saw Fin and Nash switching up on Parker and Ginobili throughout the night, and I feel justified in saying that both guys did a nice job. It was at the end of the game that Nash really impressed me, though. He was singled up on Parker and pretty much shut his penetration attempts down. With Parker's first step, to me one of the quickest in the league, that was a truly laudable effort.

Wait a second, isn't this a Fortson thread...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this team is very quietly coming together...past two games: victories over Blazers and Spurs...not anything to glance over...within the a months time (barring serious injury) this team will be gelled...and screw the rest of league when that happens!

did any one else notice that Dirk was 2\5 from three...is it coming back...i hope so, its been gone too long!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I am far from a fan of the potato, but he did play well last night and contributed to the win. When used on a limited basis as he was last night, Fortson can be very effective. It's when he's overused or placed in a too disadvantageous situation that he becomes a big liability. Danny just doesn't have the height nor the hops to make up for lack of the height, to play center in a lot of situations. Still if used right he can do well. He can be a good changeup to Shawn Bradley in limited minutes.
wonderful insight from a potato hater, I on the other hand am a fan of Fort...but LRB is dead on! When used properly, he is very productive....who would have thought Fort might the the long lost answer to MRose???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:05 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd bump this up to recognize Danny for the fantastic job he did on Curry tonight. Completely took him out of the game.

Way-to-go Po-ta-to!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

In the words of Bob Ortegal, the potato was rebounding like a "hungry man" tonight. WTG Potato!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

My question about Fortson is when will he get rid of the "potatoe" nick lol. If it doesn't go after 13 boards in 17 minutes then it never will lol.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Give Fortson full credit -- when Nelson has called upon him lately, he's been ready and come to play.

He completely outplayed a more talented Curry tonight.

If Fortson, Najera, and Bradley will focus on doing what they do best and playing hard, I think the center spot will be just fine.

Old 11-25-2003, 11:14 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
My question about Fortson is when will he get rid of the "potatoe" nick lol. If it doesn't go after 13 boards in 17 minutes then it never will lol.
Yeah, the Potato nickname is annoying, but I think we're stuck with it.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 PM   #23
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
As a supporter of Danny's, I was at first offended on his behalf (suppose we should probably blame Cuban and those shiny uniforms - i think that's how it started), but it's kind of grown on me. I'm certainly open to suggestions for other nicknames, though. He's certainly earning our respect out on the court.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:56 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Thought I'd bump this up to recognize Danny for the fantastic job he did on Curry tonight. Completely took him out of the game.

Way-to-go Po-ta-to!
Very nice bump. Fortson was really fun to watch tonight. I love watching people go flying out of the lane. Fortson, Walker, Jamison, Delk, Howard, Daniels...

Everyone of the folks we have added is tougher than the guys we had. I need to find that thread by murphy talking about how rotten the mavs GMing has been..

Great job DANNY!!

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:59 AM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It's refreshing to see a rebounder of that caliber in a Mavs uniform. I enjoy watching him track down loose balls like he as a right to them. The beauty of Fortson, however, is that the majority of his rebounds just come to him. That's because he's such an instinctive rebounder that he usually can anticipate where the ball is going.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:36 AM   #26
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
As a supporter of Danny's, I was at first offended on his behalf (suppose we should probably blame Cuban and those shiny uniforms - i think that's how it started), but it's kind of grown on me. I'm certainly open to suggestions for other nicknames, though. He's certainly earning our respect out on the court.

I dont feel this name is offensive, it is derived from a classic and quite hallarious quote made on this forum that happened to give birth to a simple name that more or less was meant to describe Fortson's physique while in the silver opening night uniforms. Although in the quote the term was most likely meant to be offensive the name now carries not an offensive gesture towards Fortson but a good story of how he was once percieved and how that perception has evolved over the course of his being on this team as well as his respectable comeback of recognition to this league. The "Potato" is only understood by the members of the dallas-mavs.com forum and although this name is somewhat rediculous, it in an eccentric type of way unites the mavs fans of this forum a little more while also providing a piece of history, a memory if you will, that we may all stumble upon one day and reminiscently laugh.

Long Live the Potato!![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:40 AM   #27
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

That's one thing I noticed too. He kept coming down with boards but otherwise didn't look like he was fighting all that hard for them. He either seemed like he was always at the right place at the right time, or some magnetic force of his just sucks the rebounds his direction so he doesen't have to do things like jump or sweat.

Way to go Forston!!!
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #28
jacktruth
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
That's one thing I noticed too. He kept coming down with boards but otherwise didn't look like he was fighting all that hard for them. He either seemed like he was always at the right place at the right time, or some magnetic force of his just sucks the rebounds his direction so he doesen't have to do things like jump or sweat.

Way to go Forston!!!
Most rebounding is done before the ball goes up-fighting for prime position. If you were to map out where rebounds go, you will find certain sweet spots on the floor. Good rebounders know where those spots are and fight for them. It may look like boards just come to him, but it's because he's put in the work already.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:41 AM   #29
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Since this is the official Fortson thread, he deserves the love that he's getting lately for his 13 rebound performance. I hope he continues his hard work on the boards because that will only make this team a tougher team to deal with.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:02 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How about the combined line from the three-headed center (Fortson, Najera, Bradley) last night?

minutes: 49
FG: 7-11
FT: 5-7
rebounds: 11 off 13 def 24 total
assists: 1
PF: 9
steals: 1
TO: 3
blocks: 0

Granted, it's just the Bulls, and granted, you might like to see a couple blocks there, but that's still pretty productive!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:26 PM   #31
Shawty

Shawty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With

Nash stopping Parker
Nash has been playin' very well. I really have liked his game over the years out of the entire Mavs team other than Dirk. However, Finley did the better job on Parker. Parker has problems with big guards with quick hands (example: Finley, Kittles). Finley does a really good job on him, plays him aggressively. Of course, TP did not help himself out by forcin' things that weren't there and takin' horrible shots down the stretch. I can't wait to see these teams go head-to-head once both get into an offensive/defensive flow durin' the midseason.
Shawty is offline   Reply With Quote