Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #1721
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Stretching THJ to sign Horford and kemba completly kills the 2021 FA. Not going to happen.

And Horford had this season allready problems with his lateral quickness, its declining quickly. And remember, we are searching a guy who can (at least for stretches) play the four at defense, so KP is our rim protector. Horford cant play this role at all.

Two years younger and i pull the trigger. But 33y old Horford is just...too old. Two year contract okay but im not touching him for three or more

Last edited by sefant77; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #1722
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Not only that, but we'd likely have to stretch waive THJ in which Cuban swallows 40 million. Not gonna happen.

I will say that I'm growing more used to Horford though if we strike out on others and can get his price down a bit. You could do worse I suppose. Rather just pay Vuc in that scenario though.
I don’t want Horford on a 4 year deal unless it’s massively front-loaded... And even then, anything more than a 3 year deal where we can trade his expiring in that last year is a turn off for me because I want Giannis in 2021.

That’s why I’m out on Vuc and the other 2nd tier guys this summer — if the 3rd guy that we add to the Luka/KP combo doesn’t launch us to contender status then I’d rather keep our powder dry for someone who will... Kemba is really the only 2nd tier star I’d consider this summer because he’s the only one I feel confident about retaining trade value.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #1723
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don’t want Horford on a 4 year deal unless it’s massively front-loaded... And even then, anything more than a 3 year deal where we can trade his expiring in that last year is a turn off for me because I want Giannis in 2021.

That’s why I’m out on Vuc and the other 2nd tier guys this summer — if the 3rd guy that we add to the Luka/KP combo doesn’t launch us to contender status then I’d rather keep our powder dry for someone who will... Kemba is really the only 2nd tier star I’d consider this summer because he’s the only one I feel confident about retaining trade value.
I dont like either of them on a 4 year deal but again I think both of them together make us contenders.

With Luka and KP here I am not sure that keeping the powder dry makes sense. The Mavs will live or die with these 2 and the rest will hopefully be good quality players that turn us into a great TEAM.

At this point I am not sure I consider either one a Star but both are very very good/ great players and would fit our team.

PS....Greek Freak is not leaving. I dont see that happening unless the Bucks completely screw up and pretty much show him they dont want him. He is probably the closest thing to Dirk when it comes to staying with one team in a lesser market.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #1724
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

The fan base won't like it, but that's probably the smart move. If it's not Kemba, I'll take two good players that may at least get us close to, or in the playoffs. By the time Hardaway and Lee come off the books, you may still have really good players and enough money for a max contract player... and by then we'll have a better understanding of the team needs
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #1725
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

About Frank:

He's only 20 years old(!) and is 6'5 with a 7'1 wingspan. As a rookie he was the best in the league at defending the pick and roll. He can guard multiple positions on switches. His shot isn't broken-- he has a nice release and shoots pretty well from the ft line.

He can absolutely be one of the best defenders in the league. Bruce Bowen only with exponentially better handles and court vision. The game will slow down for him eventually. Play him off the ball more and all he needs to do is learn to hit the corner 3. I would love to have him here. Obviously the contract is an issue with free agency looming. But aside from that the guy is the definition of a great buy low target.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #1726
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
BUT again I am trying to understand his notion that we shouldn't sign guys like Al and Walker ( not my first choice but a good choice) because of how old Luka and KP are. Are we supposed to wait for the to be 28 to build a winning team??
I think signing a 33 year old big like Horford to a 4 year max deal is a total win-now move because the odds are against a 33 year old giving you max player production for 4 years, although you take that risk if you’re one Al Horford away from winning a ring... But with Luka & KP being so young, there’s no need to go all-in on a guy like him and risk having a bunch of wasted cap space for the back half of that contract as these guys start to hit their primes. I’m even okay with Kemba, since he’s likely to retain his value throughout the duration of his contract. I just don’t want to get saddled with a bad contract, and Horford has high potential to become one over 4 years.

I’m not against older players, I’m just risk-averse when there are safer/better options out there.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #1727
Underdog

Quote:
I dont like either of them on a 4 year deal but again I think both of them together make us contenders.

With Luka and KP here I am not sure that keeping the powder dry makes sense. The Mavs will live or die with these 2 and the rest will hopefully be good quality players that turn us into a great TEAM.

At this point I am not sure I consider either one a Star but both are very very good/ great players and would fit our team.

PS....Greek Freak is not leaving. I dont see that happening unless the Bucks completely screw up and pretty much show him they dont want him. He is probably the closest thing to Dirk when it comes to staying with one team in a lesser market.
I feel confident in saying that the odds of Giannis coming to Dallas are a lot better than Dallas finding takers for THJ/Lee and signing both Horford and Kemba... And I’d say the odds of us landing Giannis are somewhere around 20% right now.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #1728
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
About Frank:

He's only 20 years old(!) and is 6'5 with a 7'1 wingspan. As a rookie he was the best in the league at defending the pick and roll. He can guard multiple positions on switches. His shot isn't broken-- he has a nice release and shoots pretty well from the ft line.

He can absolutely be one of the best defenders in the league. Bruce Bowen only with exponentially better handles and court vision. The game will slow down for him eventually. Play him off the ball more and all he needs to do is learn to hit the corner 3. I would love to have him here. Obviously the contract is an issue with free agency looming. But aside from that the guy is the definition of a great buy low target.
Having the body for defense doesn’t make you a good defender.

You need BBIQ, knowledge of psychology, and a fighting spirit. Frank doesn’t have any of those.

Don’t get me wrong, for the right price (say, a minimum deal) I’d take him as a prospect, but the player he’a not coming into 2019-2020 as a player. He’s a prospect who needs to develop every aspect of his game just to stay in the NBA.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #1729
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I feel confident in saying that the odds of Giannis coming to Dallas are a lot better than Dallas finding takers for THJ/Lee and signing both Horford and Kemba... And I’d say the odds of us landing Giannis are somewhere around 20% right now.
WOW....you must have some insider info. because I think the odds of us getting Giannis are the same as every other team in the league not named Bucks ...maybe 1-2%.

I think the odds of Kemba/ Al are 40%
Old 06-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #1730
Underdog

Quote:
WOW....you must have some insider info. because I think the odds of us getting Giannis are the same as every other team in the league not named Bucks ...maybe 1-2%.

I think the odds of Kemba/ Al are 40%
I think the odds of finding someone to take THJ/Lee off our hands are damn near 0%... You need to stop reading Fish & Co., you’re just setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

Kemba OR Horford? Maybe... Both? You sound like the delusional Lakers fans who think they’re gonna land Kawhi this summer — math is not on your side

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #1731
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also...Lee is expiring and I am certain we can get rid of him. THJ is tough but history has shown that teams will take on almost any contract and with players that were a lot less productive than THJ.

If the Hornets lose Kemba, they have no hope of doing anything meaningful over the next few years so why not take THJ in a sign and trade. THJ showed in NY that he can put up 20 ppg on a bad team and keep things at least a little interesting.

Last edited by AO41; 06-24-2019 at 01:52 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #1732
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Its not about being a contender, but we really need to be a playoff team going into the 2021 free agency. A real one, not a paper one.

The other players have to see Luka&KP in the playoffs. Or it will be "two years they are allready playing together and not even made the playoffs"

And the 2021 FA is not just Giannis, it looks like it will be a pretty huge one.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-24-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #1733
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think the odds of finding someone to take THJ/Lee off our hands are damn near 0%... You need to stop reading Fish & Co., you’re just setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

I read everyone but I like to think that I have pretty good knowledge of basketball. Free Agency is unpredictable as you know so we could end up with these 2 or we could end up with one of them OR with none of the big names out there.

All I am arguing is Luka hates to lose and is used to winning. I dont see why we should wait to build a winning team around him and KP when we can do it now. I cant say how that will look , whether its Al/ Kemba or others but I think it should be now. Having said that, I think we should be smart and and try to keep any contracts to 3 years if possible, especially in Al's case.

Last edited by AO41; 06-24-2019 at 02:05 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #1734
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with Fish is that he actually hurts fans.

Sure, all he’s doing is being a fan and pulling stories out of his ass, but when he says we can get Durant, Horford, and Kemba at the same time, he gets clicks but when we only get one, people are disappointed despite the fact we were never getting 90+ million in players with barely 30 in cap space
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #1735
Underdog

Quote:
I read everyone but I like to think that I have pretty good knowledge of basketballs. Free Agency is unpredictable as you know so we could end up with these 2 or we could end up with one of them OR with none of the big names out there.

All I am arguing is Luka hates to lose and is used to winning. I dont see why we should wait to build a winning team around him and KP when we can do it now. I cant say how that will look , whether its Al/ Kemba or others but I think it should be now. Having said that, I think we should be smart and and try to keep any contracts to 3 years if possible, especially in Al's case.
I actually do think you have good knowledge of basketball, but the Horford/Kemba thing is totally Fish & Co... I mean, why not Kemba/Vucevic? Or any other combination of 2nd tier FAs? The sticking point is still the same -- you have to unload THJ/Lee first, and there's no way to do that unless you pay someone in draft picks... And trading away your already-limited draft picks when your stars are 20 and 23 is just poor asset management, and proves that Cuban/Donnie haven't learned anything in the last 20+ years (how many rings would Dirk have if the MBT took the draft as seriously as the Spurs do?)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #1736
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I read everyone but I like to think that I have pretty good knowledge of basketballs. Free Agency is unpredictable as you know so we could end up with these 2 or we could end up with one of them OR with none of the big names out there.

Luka is in a long long line of NBA players who also hate to lose...probably stemming back from the beginning of the sport. It's not like the FO is tossing a coin on whether or not they should build a winning team. This isn't NBA2k, so it takes a bit of time a patience.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #1737
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually do think you have a good knowledge of basketball, but the Horford/Kemba thing is totally Fish & Co... I mean, why not Kemba/Vucevic? Or any other combination of 2nd tier FAs? The sticking point is still the same -- you have to unload THJ/Lee first, and there's no way to do that unless you pay someone in draft picks... And trading away your already-limited draft picks when your stars are 20 and 23 is just poor asset management, and proves that Cuban/Donnie haven't learned anything in the last 20+ years (how many rings would Dirk have if the MBT took the draft as seriously as the Spurs do?)

The same amount they do now because Refs

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #1738
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The Kemba/Horford thing isn't even Fish's idea. That's how weak that rumor is.

Horford stuff actually had some legit sources so that's more relevant to talk about.

Mavs usually come out of left field with their moves though, so I'm not really worried about who we get. Just gotta fast forward this week somehow because the amount of dog snot coming via click bait will be epic.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #1739
Underdog

Quote:
The Kemba/Horford thing isn't even Fish's idea. That's how weak that rumor is.
There are individual rumors about Kemba and Horford, but Fish's boy Dalton Trigg linked those rumors and created the scenario to get them to Dallas... Now everyone on Twitter is parroting that scenario like it's the MBT's Plan A and the most likely outcome for this offseason.

Mavs + Kemba + Horford, Part 1: Media time stamps weave a story
https://247sports.com/nba/mavericks/...ory-133095895/

Kemba + Horford, Part 2: Can the Mavs really catch 2 big fish?
https://247sports.com/nba/mavericks/...ish-133085198/

I still say the odds of us landing Giannis are higher because we don't need to get a million different pieces to fall into place -- all we need to do is let Luka/KP's play convince him that Dallas is the best possible option for him... Easy? Not at all. But there are a lot less variables involved, which makes it far more likely to happen.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #1740
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mavs usually come out of left field with their moves though, so I'm not really worried about who we get. Just gotta fast forward this week somehow because the amount of dog snot coming via click bait will be epic.
Right on time...

Chris Sheridan@sheridanhoops A person very close to the #Mavs just told me that Dallas is expecting to get a meeting with unrestricted free agent @kawhileonard

Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #1741
Underdog

Quote:
Right on time...

Chris Sheridan@sheridanhoops A person very close to the #Mavs just told me that Dallas is expecting to get a meeting with unrestricted free agent @kawhileonard
I would be thrilled to even get the sit down, as it would signal to other FAs that Dallas is a serious destination... That's the most we could hope for (because the fit with Kawhi/Luka/KP would be so ridiculous that the Basketball Gods would never let it happen).

Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #1742
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Luka is in a long long line of NBA players who also hate to lose...probably stemming back from the beginning of the sport. It's not like the FO is tossing a coin on whether or not they should build a winning team. This isn't NBA2k, so it takes a bit of time a patience.
Maybe so but how many of those players are as talented as Luka and have someone as good as KP playing next to them?

So again, IMO no need to wait.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #1743
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
I actually do think you have good knowledge of basketball, but the Horford/Kemba thing is totally Fish & Co... I mean, why not Kemba/Vucevic? Or any other combination of 2nd tier FAs? The sticking point is still the same -- you have to unload THJ/Lee first, and there's no way to do that unless you pay someone in draft picks... And trading away your already-limited draft picks when your stars are 20 and 23 is just poor asset management, and proves that Cuban/Donnie haven't learned anything in the last 20+ years (how many rings would Dirk have if the MBT took the draft as seriously as the Spurs do?)
Ohh you are right abut that part but thats what the discussion was about.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #1744
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would be thrilled to even get the sit down, as it would signal to other FAs that Dallas is a serious destination... That's the most we could hope for (because the fit with Kawhi/Luka/KP would be so ridiculous that the Basketball Gods would never let it happen).
I agree with this and Leonard's game and style is the PERFECT fit. But we all know its not going to happen.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #1745
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
About Frank:

Clearly, you HAVE seen Ntilikina play.

New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina Ranks No. 1 In Stunning Statistic

Ntilikina's rookie season was spent as a 19-year old in a foreign country learning a foreign language, with a journeyman coach (Hornacek) fighting for his coaching career, loath to play rookies and trying to drag a talent-thin roster toward .500, and a playoff berth.

Guess who lobbied Hornacek for more playing time for Ntilikina, because of his playmaking and defense? Kristaps Porzingis.

Ntilikina's second season was spent playing for a certified moron (Fizdale) who was being directed to Lose-For-Zion. Fizdale jerked Ntilikina around by starting him pell-mell and willy-nilly at 3 positions, jerking him out of games, and then benching him for long stretches without explanation, then compounded by suffering a recurrent groin injury.

Ntilikina has Elite Defender written all over him for the world to see, and is EXACTLY the kind of wing defender who would complement Doncic. He has a nice 3-point shot, with a beautiful release and rotation, but he needs to be encouraged to take it. His weakness, as I see it, is a failure to assert his elite athleticism taking the ball to the basket.

What he needs is a change of scenery into a stable environment, with a coach who can instill some confidence into him, and encourage him to press the advantages his physical tools afford him.

I'd much rather have Ntilikina and Rubio than some broken-down-assed Al Horford on a $100 million contract, FFS.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 06-24-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #1746
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Maybe so but how many of those players are as talented as Luka and have someone as good as KP playing next to them?

So again, IMO no need to wait.
A lot had the same potential as our 2 guys. What makes you think the FO wants to wait?

Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #1747
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

My replies didn’t load delete

Last edited by endtroducing MASKED; 06-24-2019 at 03:21 PM.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #1748
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a difficult situation.... The Mavs may very well find themselves in a situation to where they believe it's in their best interest to wait until next year to try and add someone... I do worry about them getting into a pattern of doing this. And I do believe that they have take significant strides forward to keep Doncic in a Mavs uniform long term. So, they'll probably be left with overpaying for someone such as a Horford or keeping the powder dry until next year. Everyone in Mavs land loves dry powder...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #1749
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It is a difficult situation.... The Mavs may very well find themselves in a situation to where they believe it's in their best interest to wait until next year to try and add someone... I do worry about them getting into a pattern of doing this. And I do believe that they have take significant strides forward to keep Doncic in a Mavs uniform long term. So, they'll probably be left with overpaying for someone such as a Horford or keeping the powder dry until next year. Everyone in Mavs land loves dry powder...
I sincerely doubt they traded Barnes just to have dry powder. I personally believe they are going all in this summer regardless of future space. If you have a chance to win now, then you take it every time.

The bigger question is whether those moves will be enough to move the needle.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #1750
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Clearly, you HAVE seen Ntilikina play.

New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina Ranks No. 1 In Stunning Statistic

Ntilikina's rookie season was spent as a 19-year old in a foreign country learning a foreign language, with a journeyman coach (Hornacek) fighting for his coaching career, loath to play rookies and trying to drag a talent-thin roster toward .500, and a playoff berth.

Guess who lobbied Hornacek for more playing time for Ntilikina, because of his playmaking and defense? Kristaps Porzingis.

Ntilikina's second season was spent playing for a certified moron (Fizdale) who was being directed to Lose-For-Zion. Fizdale jerked Ntilikina around by starting him pell-mell and willy-nilly at 3 positions, jerking him out of games, and then benching him for long stretches without explanation, then compounded by suffering a recurrent groin injury.

Ntilikina has Elite Defender written all over him for the world to see, and is EXACTLY the kind of wing defender who would complement Doncic. He has a nice 3-point shot, with a beautiful release and rotation, but he needs to be encouraged to take it. His weakness, as I see it, is a failure to assert his elite athleticism taking the ball to the basket.

What he needs is a change of scenery into a stable environment, with a coach who can instill some confidence into him, and encourage him to press the advantages his physical tools afford him.

I'd much rather have Ntilikina and Rubio than some broken-down-assed Al Horford on a $100 million contract, FFS.
You sold me on Frank. I do agree that he would be a nice fit next to Doncic in the backcourt. He could probably defend most players 1-4 while developing as someone that can space the floor and initiate the offense when needed. Fits the timeline nice with his age as well.

I'd be happy if the Mavs could make it happen.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #1751
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'll take dry powder over Erick Dampier 2.0, thanks... Horford is gonna be 37 by the time his contract expires, and even at 33 he's due for regression. Let someone else take that risk.

Also, we already made a significant move to keep Doncic in a Mavs uniform -- Kristaps Porzingis... It's not like we're coming back with the same roster as last year. We nabbed a young All-Star in Luka's rookie season, which is better than Dirk ever got in his 20 years here.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #1752
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
A lot had the same potential as our 2 guys. What makes you think the FO wants to wait?
The FO doesn’t ...I hope.

It’s some poster in here who seem to want to wait.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #1753
Underdog

Quote:

I don't want to wait, I just don't want to go to the playoffs this year, then miss the playoffs the next three years because we maxed out a 33 year old big whose game fell off a cliff... We don't need to "win now" -- we need to create a culture of sustained winning over several years. ... I'd rather see if something better comes along than shoot ourselves in the foot. Saddling your middling team with bad contracts is how franchise players are lost.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #1754
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs big acquisition was KP. There is a huge difference between wanting to wait and not wanting to rush things.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #1755
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

"Some posters here" is what I thought was the case. Regardless of how awesome this board is, FO isn't scrolling the pages to find what the people want.

I'm almost shocked that a few people would pay the absolutely ridiculous rumored contract Horford wants. Some of the knee jerk reactions the fans seem to have is due to the swing and miss we have had in free agency...but not because we haven't tried. You can't make f.a. come here so we take the alternate route via trades. I have faith they will attempt to put the best team together possible for now but there is a reason young guys don't often run the show. Experience and patience are big factors.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #1756
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Problem with Fish is that he actually hurts fans.

Sure, all he’s doing is being a fan and pulling stories out of his ass, but when he says we can get Durant, Horford, and Kemba at the same time, he gets clicks but when we only get one, people are disappointed despite the fact we were never getting 90+ million in players with barely 30 in cap space
Fish has recently said "The Mavs enjoy their front-office reputation as a franchise that does not "leak.'' "

Yet he makes out that he is an insider

Absolute crap
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #1757
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
The Mavs big acquisition was KP. There is a huge difference between wanting to wait and not wanting to rush things.
And if you look at the blood bath western conference you realize that Luka and KP may/probably arent enough for even the playoffs...

Last edited by sefant77; 06-24-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #1758
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
And if you look at the blood batt western conference you realize that Luka and KP may/probably arent enough for even the playoffs...
We went from 3 role players (Barnes/Matthews/Dennis) to 2 franchise players (Luka/Porzingis) in just one year... Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us land another max FA this summer and make the playoffs, but Dirk never saw this kind of turnaround in such a short amount of time at any point in his career. Maybe tap the brakes a bit? The MBT is making excellent progress so far.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #1759
sefant77
Guru

Tap the breaks with a horrible 2020 FA class doesnt make sense either, thats the thing with plan powder.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #1760
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Tap the breaks with a horrible 2020 FA class doesnt make sense either, thats the thing with plan powder.
But how does 2021-23 look? Because you're passing on those FA classes too... And it's only gonna be worse each year that Horford's game declines -- he's more likely to be the reason that future FAs pass on Dallas than a guy who puts us into contention for the next 4 years.

Tags
win now