Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs to face winning Warriors

Mavs to face winning Warriors

02:58 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
brdavis@dallasnews.com

OAKLAND, Calif. – Master motivator Don Nelson jokes about it now. But he thought Golden State's playoff chances were long gone after his Warriors fell seven games below .500 at the end of February.

"I feel like I've failed, really, in a lot of ways," Nelson said after the Warriors muddled through a 113-83 disaster against Chicago on Feb. 28.

The Warriors are on the verge of completing a Lazarus-like comeback. Golden State now holds the No. 8 spot in the Western Conference at the moment. But the Warriors believe they must win Tuesday's game against Dallas and Wednesday at Portland to guarantee an end the NBA's longest playoff drought.

The Mavs have some motivation; they've lost four straight in this series. But Golden State's Jason Richardson said his team wants to deliver a message that a potential Mavs-Warriors playoff series won't be easy.

"It's going to be a battle; that's what we want to let them know," said Richardson, who has scorched the Mavs in the past. "Even though we're the eight seed, we're going to battle and play hard."

The Warriors haven't been to the playoffs since Nelson guided them there in 1994. The franchise hasn't won a playoff game since 1992. Bay Area fans probably thought their agony would continue for another year after Golden State fell nine games under .500 in early March.

But instead of throwing in the towel, guard Baron Davis chose to come back after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. He's playing limited minutes but averaging 19.5 points over the last 18 games.

Nelson also went to a small lineup and won seven of the last eight games. Al Harrington is the tallest starter at 6-9. Sunday's win against Minnesota got the Warriors (40-40) back to .500.

"Trust me, we are not cocky," Nelson said. "Call us a lot of things, but that ain't one of 'em."

Confident is definitely a proper term, though.

"We set out the last few games of the season realizing that we needed to get 42 wins," Harrington said. "We're still focused because we haven't got 42 yet. So we've got to win these next few games to reach our goal."

A little more rest? Several Mavericks may not see full game action today, because Johnson has said he wants to rest his players for the playoffs. Wednesday's regular-season finale at Seattle will be the Mavericks final full-speed playoff tune-up, Johnson said.

"I don't think we want to show them much [today]," Dirk Nowitzki said. "And I'm sure Nellie doesn't want to show us much either. I'm not even sure how much some of us will play. Obviously, the game means more to them than it does to us."

Damp back in action: Mavs center Erick Dampier (right shoulder) practiced Monday and will play some against Golden State. If all goes well, Dampier will likely see extended action against Seattle.

Nelson and Johnson are probably both interested to see how Dampier and DeSagana Diop handle the Warriors' smaller lineup. Harrington can pull defenders out to the wings, which opens the interior.

"Who said I'm going to play it?," Nelson said with a sly grin. "We played it plenty the last game, too. We maybe just didn't start that way."

Staff Writer Tim MacMahon contributed to this report.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVS NOTES

Warriors present tricky matchup down low

By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Mavericks center Erick Dampier returned to practice Monday and should play some tonight against Golden State with increased minutes likely in Wednesday's regular-season finale at Seattle.

Dampier missed the past three games because of a strained right shoulder.

Tonight could provide some insight into how coach Avery Johnson might utilize Dampier against the undersized, up-tempo Warriors, if the teams meet in the first round of the playoffs.

Dampier, 6-foot-11, 265 pounds, gave way to the quicker and more agile 7-foot DeSagana Diop in last season's playoff series against Phoenix.

"That's a difficult situation for him," Johnson said, "but we think we have a better understanding of how to use him."

The Warriors primarily use 6-9, 245-pound Al Harrington at the center position in Don Nelson's unorthodox small-ball lineup.

"When you've got a center out there at 7-feet trying to guard myself, where I'm really a small forward, it's not going to work," Harrington said. "It's going to be very difficult for him to match up."

Harrington, a combo forward who can take his game inside and outside, had 16 points on 5-of-5 shooting (2-of-2 from the 3-point arc) in 21 minutes in Golden State's 117-100 win over the Mavs on March 12.

Dampier was limited to four points and six rebounds in 18 minutes.

"They've got to make a decision on Diop and Dampier, how much they want them to play," Harrington said. "We feel we're going to have an advantage with their big guys out there on the court."

Warriors ready

Avery Johnson reiterated Monday his plan to use Wednesday's finale at Seattle as a final tune-up for the playoffs. For tonight's game, he'd only reveal that he has "a plan."

"My only goal is to get through these next two games mentally and physically well," Johnson said. "That's it, because I know if we're a healthy basketball team mentally and physically, I like our chances."

Warriors guard Jason Richardson said he expects a full effort.

"It means something to them, too," Richardson said. "Even though they've got a playoff spot, it's a potential first-round game for them. They're going to come in here and play hard."

Facing Nellie

If the Mavs do face the Warriors in the first round, don't expect Avery Johnson to take a sentimental journey looking back to his days as a Mavs assistant under Warriors coach Don Nelson.

"I'm not going to talk much about Nellie in terms of where we are because it's well-documented," Johnson said. "This is the Mavericks against the Warriors and, fortunately for both us, we are the coaches of both of those teams."

Briefly

Count Warriors guard Jason Richardson among those in the Dirk Nowitzki-for-MVP camp: "He should win it," Richardson said.

Kevin Willis was ill and missed Monday's practice. He will be on the road trip, but his playing status for tonight is uncertain.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
kriD
Platinum Member

Loss could be gain for Mavs' fans

02:22 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
[By Kevin Sherrington / The Dallas Morning News]

Tanking is a sensitive term in the NBA these days. Especially if you're say, Danny Ainge, and the league has already fined you $30,000 for excessive elbow-rubbing with Kevin Durant's extended family.

Tanking is not what I'm suggesting. Not exactly. Not in the lottery sense, anyway.

But, really, would it hurt if the Mavericks lost to Golden State tonight?

Would it be so bad if it helped guarantee a Mavs-Warriors matchup in the first round of the playoffs?

Would it offend sensibilities if it allowed us to write about Don Nelson and his former team? The wily old coach and his protégé, Avery Johnson?

Nellie vs. Cuban?

Nothing against the Clippers, the Mavs' other first-round prospects. Elton Brand is a fine player. Corey Maggette, too.

Maybe if brassy Sam Cassell were completely healthy, a matchup with the Clips might be more appealing.

But Mike Dunleavy? The guy doesn't look like he's having much fun coaching the Clippers as it is.

Nellie?

Here's what he told the media Sunday after the Warriors took control of their playoff destiny and reporters asked him how he'd prepare for his old team:

"I'll smoke a cigar, drink scotch and form my game plan," he said. "The more scotch I drink, the better the game plan gets."

Think how much fun the first round could be.

If the Mavs draw the Clippers, what do we talk about? Matchups? Strategy?

They get the Warriors, and it's not basketball. It's theater.

Did you catch Nellie's concession speech a while back? The Warriors had just suffered their fourth straight loss, a 30-point pasting by the Bulls in Chicago, dropping their season record seven games under .500.

"I thought I could get this team in the playoffs," he said on Feb. 28, "and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it."

He called it disappointing. A personal failure.

"But that's the way it is," he said at the time. "You can't get blood out of a turnip. You can't beat a dead horse.

"I'm not blaming anybody but myself."

Awfully valiant of him to fall on his sword like that, too. He could have blamed the fact that they only suited up nine players. No Baron Davis. No Stephen Jackson. They'd have been lucky to beat a good rec team without them, much less the Bulls on the road.

They get Davis and Jackson back, and what happens? The Warriors win 14 of their next 21 and Nellie looks like MacArthur hitting the beach.

Johnson was so amused, he called up Gregg Popovich, the Spurs' coach.

"That was a straight Nellie move," Johnson said of Nellie's speech, "and you guys fell for it.

"Pop and I were laughing."

And that's the point. Let's have some fun, Avery. Loosen up a little tonight.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu for the opening tip, maybe?

It's not as if Johnson has been protecting the sanctity of the game since he clinched the No. 1 seed.

He says his only goal this week is to be healthy and rested for the playoffs.

Suggestion: If David Stern asks after a loss tonight, stick to that explanation.

Hey, it's not as if any suspicions would be raised by another loss. The Mavs have lost twice to the Warriors this season. After Monday's practice, the Mavs stopped just short of calling them flukes.

A good thing, too, because the one in March was by 17 points.

The players blamed scheduling and an impatient offense. They're not used to the Warriors' offensive approach during the regular season, and they fell into Nellie's trap:

Take quick shots and allow the Warriors to put up 3s.

Are you sure you didn't let Nellie get into your heads?

"No," Jason Terry said, curtly.

Never hurts to ask.

Not with Nellie.

You know he's loving this. He's got the Warriors on the verge of the playoffs for the first time in a dozen years, and he's got a chance to upset his old team.

No one expects him to win. He knows this, too.

He's counting on it.

"I'm worried," he told reporters who asked about the Mavs. "I know how good they are. I know we've beaten them twice.

"I just hope we didn't make them angry."

Johnson's response? He's not talking about Nellie. Not if you want to make it personal.

"It's the Mavericks against the Warriors," he said, and you can only hope so.

Last edited by kriD; 04-17-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
kriD
Platinum Member

Nellie is now selling a different story

By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Jason Richardson and Golden State have won five of the last six and four straight against Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs.

Moments after a fourth straight shellacking, this time by the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 28, Don Nelson, swirling down a drain of self-pity, solemnly declared the Golden State Warriors' season a bust.

"I thought I could get this team in the playoffs and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it," he confessed. "I feel like I've failed, really, in a lot of ways. I think I've done some good things, and I think it's going to turn out just fine, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out this year, so I'm pretty disappointed.

"But that's the way it is. You can't get blood out of a turnip. You can't beat a dead horse... I'm not blaming anybody but myself."

The surrender was so damning, so pitiful, so Nellie?

"That was a straight Nellie move and y'all all fell for it," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said Monday before the Mavs headed for Oakland and a meeting with the Warriors tonight.

"It took a lot of pressure off of them. I was laughing. Pop [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich] and I were laughing."

Now the Warriors, with point guard Baron Davis healthy and benefiting from a trade that brought Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson from the Pacers, could be laughing all the way into the playoffs.

Nine games under .500 on March 4, the Warriors have since won 14 of 19 and hold a one-game lead on the Los Angeles Clippers for the West's final playoff spot with two games to go.

If Golden State beats Dallas and the Clippers lose at Phoenix tonight, Nelson's left-for-dead Warriors will clinch a playoff spot and could open the playoffs against the No. 1-seeded Mavs at American Airlines Center, most likely Sunday. However, the Warriors still have a shot at the No. 7 playoff seed.

"Funny how things turned around, huh?" Nelson, the former Mavs coach, chirped following practice Monday.

And so the Mavs find themselves in the odd situation of playing out the schedule, but faced with a surging team that it might square off against in a best-of-seven series.

A team that, oddly enough, has had the Mavs' number. The Warriors have won five of the last six in the series, the first three wins coming under former coach Mike Montgomery, and four in a row.

A win tonight and Nelson's bunch will sweep the season series 3-0. The undersized, up-tempo Warriors beat the Mavs in the third game of the season and then ended the Mavs' 17-game winning streak in March with a 117-100 victory in which Golden State shot 57.1 percent, made eight 3-pointers, scored more than 30 points in each of the first three quarters and led by as many 31.

"They're like Phoenix. You cannot get caught up into their play," Mavs guard Jason Terry said. "They'd love for you to come down and shoot quick, early shots so they can run back. They'd much rather you get two points, they get three points. That's a difficult style of play to guard. You just have to be disciplined."

Johnson played it coy Monday, saying only that he has "a plan" as to how he'll manage his key players tonight. Johnson has rested players during four of the last five games, but he extended minutes Sunday against San Antonio in a game that turned fierce.

A Mavs win tonight could help the Clippers, who the Mavs have beaten two out of three times this season, stay in the chase.

"I just think we worry about us," Mavs swingman Jerry Stackhouse said. "We're not trying to juice the balls or anything like that. We're just trying to do what we do, and if that means getting ready and guys are playing 30 minutes, so be it."
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Nelson also went to a small lineup and won seven of the last eight games.

How many times did we hear this line when Nellie was in Dallas? The good ol' times...

Last edited by vjz; 04-17-2007 at 10:56 AM.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The Mavs are the frontrunner to win it all...but I am reminded of the first playoff series that Nellie took the Mavs to...

Not so long ago, the Mavs 1st playoff series under Nellie was with the Utah Jazz, in which we were down 2-0 in the series and then ultimately came back to win the next 3 and win the series 3-2!!!

So if you ask me, yes, I have respect for the Warriors coached by Nellie. The Mavs should advance, but I believe the Warriors will give us everything that we can handle, which could hurt us in later rounds...

Nellie frustrated me when he was here, and it looks like he will piss me off as a coach for another team!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
The Mavs are the frontrunner to win it all...but I am reminded of the first playoff series that Nellie took the Mavs to...

Not so long ago, the Mavs 1st playoff series under Nellie was with the Utah Jazz, in which we were down 2-0 in the series and then ultimately came back to win the next 3 and win the series 3-2!!!

So if you ask me, yes, I have respect for the Warriors coached by Nellie. The Mavs should advance, but I believe the Warriors will give us everything that we can handle, which could hurt us in later rounds...

Nellie frustrated me when he was here, and it looks like he will piss me off as a coach for another team!!!
Nellie IS pretty good at getting out of the first round... too bad he's pretty much worthless after that.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

This will be pretty damn entertaining!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:

The Mavs/Jazz series in 2001 came accross my mind too and a few things stand out:

- it was a 4/5 seed match up so both teams were pretty even
- that Jazz team was essentially on the decline

So... those make that series different with a Mavs/Warriors matchup.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So if you ask me, yes, I have respect for the Warriors coached by Nellie.
simply put, Nellie had something on that '01 team that he just doesn't have now.

Calvin. Booth.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You know what would be cocky? If Nellie wins tonight and the Clips lose, thus clinching the playoffs for the Dubs...if Nellie tanks the last game just to make sure they don't jump up to the seven seed.

That would be cocky.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the Warriors enjoy this feel good or get to 7th because the Mavs are far more likely to sweep their first round opponent then have a series go past 5.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

How sad will Chummy be when the Mavs beat the Warts out of the playoffs?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
How sad will Chummy be when the Mavs beat the Warts out of the playoffs?
Devastated!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Chum's actually in a no lose situation here.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You know what would be cocky? If Nellie wins tonight and the Clips lose, thus clinching the playoffs for the Dubs...if Nellie tanks the last game just to make sure they don't jump up to the seven seed.

That would be cocky.
That would be REALLY REALLY cocky.