Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Computer/PS3 Question

To anyone who knows:

How can someone with dialup service (me) use the internet on his Playstation 3?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The PS3 doesn't have a modem, so if it's even possible it would require extra equipment to route your PS3 connection through a router/hub and out through a modem.

I'm sure one of the IT guys would be able to come up with a way.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

What you will want to do, and I've done this before with mixed results (it really is a bitch to get it working sometimes) is get a crossover network cable and connect that to your computer's Network card. From there, you can, once connected to the 'net through the computer, share the internet to that NIC.

I'm pretty sure I had to bridge the two connections, but it was a while back so I don't remember exactly, this was when I had no router and an Internal DSL modem. But basically what you do is go through the Network Connection Wizard and it'll tell you step by step what to do to share an internet connection to another computer (or in this case, a PS3).

I wish I could help you more, but I don't have that setup so I am really not sure of how much help I can be to you. But feel free to AIM me.

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-03-2008 at 02:19 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably not going to be pleased with the results. The PS3 games are designed with the assumption that you have a high speed bandwidth. Well higher than a dialup anyway.

What O/S are you running? You can use ICS..... here's a good page that will walk you through the steps to setup depending on the O/S you are running:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics
Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

^this man speaks the truth. The PS2 had network games, and most of them required broadband. All PS3 games technically require broadband.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

u2 is so smart...i guess you have to be to be a ccie. i'm only beginning to study for the ccnp 's.....
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I would turn off my television service, and water before I got rid if my Verizon FIOS internet.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I'm pretty sure I would turn off my television service, and water before I got rid if my Verizon FIOS internet.
The list of things I would live without before broadband is so very, very long. It includes cable tv, cell phone, 3 meals a day, and many other things.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i don't have any internet connection at home (which is why, or at least one reason, I don't participate in game day threads).

i do, however, have indoor plumbing and other technologies from at least the middle of the 20th century.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
i don't have any internet connection at home (which is why, or at least one reason, I don't participate in game day threads).

i do, however, have indoor plumbing and other technologies from at least the middle of the 20th century.
I can't even begin to imagine. I mean I can, because I grew up without it, but these days man, I would feel completely cut off from the outside world.

I can do just about anything from my computer, including watch any and all television that requires cable to view.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game