Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I though he (Wang/Dodger)played very well for the first time in a mavs uniform.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2001, 09:11 PM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

The Dodger- the Big "Z"- the Chinese Zydrunas?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:15 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yea, he wants to be known as Dodger [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . And I agree dallmav, he looked pretty good for his first game.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:22 PM   #4
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

He looked NBA ready to me. He probably not used to the physical play, but it will come in time. Hes definitely got a nice touch on the ball. He looks as comfortable as dirk does when he shoots. I just hope that he is as good as dirk. Im excited about this guy. I think reunion gave him a very good welcome. He should like being a maverick.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:25 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yeah, they were chanting his name [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

WE WANT WANG! WE WANT WANG!!

That had to make him feel good.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:25 PM   #6
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

The Chinese Kukoc!
Old 04-05-2001, 09:27 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

His defense is definitely suspect right now, but I'm sure the coaches are working with him on that. He needs to be more assertive on the defensive end. At times tonight, he'd just watch the other guys battle for the ball or wait for the guy he's guarding to take the shot (not much defensive pressure at all). At one point he even started running back to the other end, thinking the other Mav players had secure the rebound (if he had gone after it, it would have been a Mavs ball). But I'm just nit-picking [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] All in all I'm extremely happy with what I saw tonight! Give him time..the guy's got game! Azn pride yo! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:31 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

The Chinese Bill Russell!
Old 04-05-2001, 09:34 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully he'll be the Chinese Dirk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2001, 09:36 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I was impressed with him. Sure, you could easily pick some things out that he needs to improve on--namely defense. But, you can see the potential. It's just a matter of time for him to build upon it. I was surprised how comfortable he looked out there. I know there was some miscommuncation at times but that was expected. Honestly, I wasn't even expecting him to score, I was thinking fouls and turnovers.

Not a bad line:

8 minutes

6 points, 2-5 (fg), 0-1 (3-pt) 2-2 (ft), 3 rebounds and 2 fouls

Again, it was garbage time and against the Hawks but you can see he has some game in him. Who would of guessed that he'd make it to the free throw line and be the Chalupa hero?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:38 PM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

6 points, 2-5 FG, 0-1 3PG, and 3 rebounds?

The Chinese Robert Horry!

Except Robert Horry would do it in 22 minutes, and commit a couple of turnovers.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:45 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

His shot reminds me of Dirk's, it looks like it comes so easily to them. It was nice to see the Dallas fans give him a warm welcome too. I hope he sees some time against the Jazz but not sure. Nelson has already said he won't play him if the game is in jeopardy, which I agree with. But, hopefully his only playing time won't be in blowout situations. Cause after tonight, I want to see more.

If he turns out to be half of what Dirk is, Nelson has himself another steal.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:46 PM   #13
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

He looked good....I wasnt expecting a whole lot .. So he showed me a whole lot..... But Do u guys think he will make the playoff roster????
Old 04-05-2001, 09:48 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

I wonder if they'll have some kind of Asian night next year, kinda like all the Fiesta Night's this season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2001, 09:49 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

Not sure if he made the playoff roster, but I doubt he'd get many mins in the postseason anyway. Then again, he seems to be a better shooter than Bryant/Ekezie..
Old 04-05-2001, 09:50 PM   #16
Mavinator
Golden Member

Wang will be on the playoff roster... Ekezie had better not be...
Old 04-05-2001, 09:51 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

After seeing him play these last couple games, I've come to the conclusion that Ekezie sucks..HARD!
Old 04-05-2001, 09:54 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Wang will make the playoff roster.

I was thinking Ekezie could be used for 6 fouls, at least, or to give certain guys rest. But, this guy sucks. I just don't want to talk about him right now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2001, 09:56 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

Not scoring is one thing, but not scoring during garbage time is just sad.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:57 PM   #20
Jordan23TX

LOL..... u guys are ripping Ekezie.... Well if we need 6 fouls to use then I guess Ekezie has his benefits. Oh BTW, we are now the 4th seed ...& the Lakers are 3rd so we may avoid the Lakers in rd 1.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:00 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

This Saturday's game against the Jazz is going to be HUGE!
Old 04-05-2001, 10:01 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

We're ripping Ekezie cause it's called for.

Wang did have more minutes than Ekezie, but he's never played in an NBA game before and looked like he fits with the team. Ekezie = no fit. I would much rather use Wang for 6 fouls than 'no game' Ekezie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2001, 10:02 PM   #23
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

A good Asian Night would be Feb 12, 2002 if they have a home game.

Chinese New Year 4700. The year of the Horse.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 10:04 PM   #24
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Yes, that game will be huge.

I feel that we'll take it though if our A game is on. Let's hope Finley comes out strong after that icky game he had tonight. And it would be nice if Bradley played like he did tonight.

Did you hear Barkley tonight? Kenny was pointing out how we're in 4th right now and that the Jazz better be careful. Barkley said something nice about the Mavs but said we wouldn't beat the Jazz in a series. Kenny disagreed as did I.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:34 PM   #25
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

8 minutes, 6 points, 2-5 (fg), 0-1 (3-pt) 2-2 (ft), 3 rebounds and 2 fouls

Wow, if you use the 48 minute stats the Bradley fans love so much, Wang would be averaging 36 PPG, and 18 RPG (of course he would also be averging 12 fouls a game, but hey who's counting) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2001, 10:41 PM   #26
Mavs#1Fan

ESPN's front page of the NBA section:

"Icy relations with China? Not in Dallas, where Mavericks fans are enjoying free chapulas thanks to Chinese import Wang Zhizhi. Thursday, he scored the bucket that put the Mavs past 100 points in their 108-94 victory over Atlanta, and assured chalupas for the crowd."

Lots of other Mav articles.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:48 PM   #27
Mavs Madness

Mavs Madness is on a distinguished road

Just wondering how many Asians we have in this forum. I'm Asian but most of all, I'm a Mavs fan just like y'all crazy people are. Although Wang is Asian, my hero is still Dirk. I'm excited about Wang though, it'd be great to see him succeed in the NBA. And it certainly wouldn't hurt the Mavs if he does. Go Mavs!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2001, 11:08 PM   #28
Jordan23TX

Im glad u brought up BRADLEY......As you can see he had a HELLUVA game against A-T-L-A-N-T-A......He knocked some of the dust off ...This guy is incredible he got his shot blocked ....Pushed around... But on to the Hall of Fame (sarcasm intended).
Old 04-06-2001, 07:17 AM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Mavinator,
That was funny, the chinese Robert Horry.
Old 04-06-2001, 10:31 AM   #30
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

For the Asin knowledgeable people in here, I've got a question about Wang's name, or should it be Zhi Zhi's name?!?

What is the correct pronunciation for Zhi Zhi? I've heard people lately calling him "Zshoo-Zshoo", but I don't see how this comes out with the i's in the name. How did this get translated?

Also, I've heard that his last name (in our country) is really Wang and his first is Zhi Zhi. Should we be calling him Zhi Zhi, or should we stick with Wang?
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 10:38 AM   #31
djb
Administrator

The Chinese place the surname first. That's why it's Wang ZhiZhi (Wang being his family name). In America, of course, we do it the other way around.

Since I don't speak mandarin, I really don't know the correct pronunciation of ZhiZhi. "zshoo-zshoo", "jew-jew", "gee-gee"..I've heard different people pronounce it differently. I'd have to ask my parents.
Old 04-06-2001, 10:53 AM   #32
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

asian pride baby.

but seriously, wang looked silky smooth last night.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 02:08 PM   #33
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

thumbs up to poodlepooch finpup for getting wang the ball when zhizhi came into the game late into the second quarter
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:28 PM   #34
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

dj, you don't speak mandarin? and you call yourself an educated man...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 03:33 PM   #35
LAM0015
Banned

i spoke some when i was younger, but after about 15 years of not using it.. i've kinda forgot a good part of it
Old 04-07-2001, 08:28 PM   #36
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Give Wang a few years, and he'll be yet another weapon in what has become the U.N. of professional sports. And, the fans are diggin' him not because of a soft touch he has on his shot, but because he is el hombre de las chalupas!
Old 04-09-2001, 11:21 PM   #37
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I think we should use him more now in case we do need him to play a vital role in the play-offs.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:55 AM   #38
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

How about a Wang/Divac matchup? Man, I can see those flops every single possesion!! How would we explain to Wang that Divac is just the King of the Flops after he fouls out in 2 minutes?!?
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 10:05 AM   #39
LAM0015
Banned

wang a vital role in the playoffs? maybe in 2003 or 2004
Old 04-10-2001, 03:22 PM   #40
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I'm not saying that he'll play <u>over</u> Bradly or Booth, but if injuries or fouls cause a problem, we need him to be ready.