Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just how good are the Hornets?

I knew they'd won 8 in a row, but I just now heard that they've been winning by an average of 20 points, and tonight they just slaughtered Denver. Chris Paul is having an MVP season, Tyson Chandler is a beast, David West is one of the two best players in the NBA that nobody knows about (the other is Kevin Martin), and they've still got Peja. So what do you think? Biggest threat in the West? Young, talented team just on a hot-streak? Going into the season I thought the two teams to watch out for would be Denver and LA, now I'm wondering how much I should be worried about New Orleans.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

My vote, is "as good as it gets"

I can easily see Hornets/Spurs in the WC-Finals. If they can hold that chemistry together, they can take anyone in 7 games. I am EXTREMELY afraid of them in a 7 game series.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-29-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite. I'm LESS afraid of them in a 7 game series because of their youth and inexperience. I'm worried about them in regular season matchups though.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'm the opposite. I'm LESS afraid of them in a 7 game series because of their youth and inexperience. I'm worried about them in regular season matchups though.
Eh, that doesn't give me much comfort. Frankly I've always thought playoff experience is quite overrated. The better team will win regardless of who's got more experience. God knows our team last year was more experienced than the warriors.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Boston was blowing everyone out too.

They'll cool off.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

So good that they will lose in the first round if they keep that #1 spot
Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

They'll cool off.
Boston "cooled off" because Garnett is injured.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

He's been injured for one game, dude. They'd lost 4 of 9 before the injury.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Could be a regular season team, but won't excel come playoff time due to lack of experience. I'm not afraid of them, but they have my resperct.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The next 2 games against the hornets will be very interesting. Obviously, the mavericks will take them a little more serious this time around. The first time we played them was embarrassing, the way we let it get to OT.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Having an mvp-level point-guard goes a long,long way. I think they are damned good.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

-First, Boston cooled off way before the game Garnett missed

-Second, I wasn't that worried about the hornets until now. The reason is, Peja seems to be really back. I mean 02-04 Peja. He was kinda struggling at the beginning of the year, but has had a couple of games where he is shooting lights out. With that shooting he provides so much space for paul to run around. And with the hornets peja really is a 3rd option, he doesn't have the pressure he did in Sacramento which at this point is probably much better for him.

-Their main weakness, as everyone might have heard is their bench. Melvin Ely and Janero Pargo are their best player off the bench. Yes, Bobby Jackson's career is officially dead. Those two guys might play good some nights but most nights they give you nothing. So a team with a solid 7-8 man rotation for the playoffs will give them a lot of problems.

-However I think we can do well against them. The hornets give people problems because of their size up front as well. But ever since damp came here that is not a problem for us, so that advantage of theirs we can negate. Harris is a good counterpart to paul, and their wings Peja and Mo Pete are not great defender. I believe Stack, Josh and Jet could do really well against them.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The Hornets are good.

Look, they have an inside threat in West.
they have a shooter in Peja.
they have inside defense in Chandler.
they have an all-ability in Paul running things.

Could they use another slasher, and some depth --- yes (this will hurt them come second/third rounds of the playoffs)...... but they are very good.

Personally, IMO Dallas would take them in 6 come playoff time though because of lack of defensive depth.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

damnit
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

reall good

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

They'll cool off.

As Alby keeps telling me..Celtics will go .500 the rest of the season..

The Hornets imo are a lot deeper than the Celtics and can stay afloat much longer.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I'm glad to see them and the Blazers doing as good as they are. But i think it won't last. I just don't think even there starters don't have enough to go up against the better teams. They kinda remind me of the 2003 Suns. If everything goes right for them, and their opponents don't play that good, then they'd have a shot.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Lack of depth is going to kill them at the end of the season and come playoff time. Their starters are great... but I keep coming back to the fact that they have one of if not the most injury prone player in the league in Peja on their team. On the plus side, the majority (well 3) of their starters are young so they shouldn't be overly worried about them breaking down with all those heavy minutes... but you still have to worry about guys like Mo Pete (maybe not as much) and Peja.

After those two forward busts in the draft a while back, I think they will regret ditching Bass.

They could definitely be second round material, I think it would be fun watching a playoff matchup against them. And when it's all said and done I still think we're the better overall team... this year (they still have tons of room to improve, which is the scariest thing).

Last edited by Tokey41; 01-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Advancing in the playoffs will depend very much on the matchups for any team. I personally think that us, SA, LAL and probably Utah as well can beat them. But they would kill GS, Denver, and they have played really well against Phx and their size can create problems for the suns so they can phx as well.

I am not that scared of playing them to be honest. Utah scares me a little more than them or Lakers. The fact is the west is deep this year it will be tough to win it. That is why Avery better watch those minutes for ours players. We need them fresh come playoff time.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

They are for real.

As Hubie Brown would say, "Chris Paul is as good a point guard as we have in this league." Dude is right -- that's an excellent starting point.

They are ranked 7th in offensive efficiency, 2nd in defensive efficiency, and 7th in rebounding differential (as opposed to 2nd, 13th, and 5th for the Mavs). They haven't played a really tough schedule yet (Sagarin rates it as the second easiest schedule so far), but they look to be capable of winning 55 games or more.

Am I worried about them? No, not really. That's not to say that they couldn't win a series against the Mavs, but I don't think they would. I think the Mavs win the SG, SF, and PF spot matchups, and the Mavs have a better bench. The Mavs also have ways to deal with the problems the Hornets present, while I don't think the Hornets can deal with what Dallas will be throwing at them in a series.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

2nd round exit, no go to scorer, mavs, spurs and suns all are much better, i'd even put the jazz and celtics ahead of them but they are a nice team with an impressive stretch of games for sure
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Yee well Mavs were supposed to b better than GS and we lost. So they are real they can get far, they can beat us or any other team, and they can lose in the first round...but they are good thats for sure

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

*** IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW

Lets say we pass them and they slip behind us and SA or something. That would put them in the lower half of the top 8 which means there could be a chance that we would face them in the first round...and to be honest i think they can beat us, we can beat them too, but thats the problem. If we play them and get out coached or our players dont come in with intensity we could lose to them. Just a thout

........GO MAVS
Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
*** IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW
<snip>
If we play them and get out coached or our players dont come in with intensity we could lose to them. Just a thout
Welcome to the NBA this is true of every team in the league.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Umm well not as often with the top teams and thats kinda wht happened to us against GS

........GO MAVS
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Sad how people think GS is now the rule and not the exception.

When something at the tail end of the probability spectrum happens, that doesn't mean it's likely to happen again.

The Mavs will reach the second round, and they will not get knocked out by the Hornets.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

They are for real but so dang what. Everyone in the top half (and possibly the entire western playoff bracket) are "for real".

F'em all, rack 'em up and let's play 'em out.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
They are for real but so dang what. Everyone in the top half (and possibly the entire western playoff bracket) are "for real".

F'em all, rack 'em up and let's play 'em out.
Preach on, brotha.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Aren't the Hornets always injured? Paul, Chandler, Peja, Bobby Jackson, and West are injured most of the time. Those guys will get hurt soon and the slide will start.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #30
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

o, god this team is good
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote