Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future
Default Art Garcia about Dirk...

Interesting article.... Link

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some close to Nowitzki maintain he's not as tied down to Dallas as those on the outside believe. His closest friends in the organization are staff members, not players. While his relationship to former coach Avery Johnson deteriorated, Nowitzki hasn't connected with Rick Carlisle. Several veteran players are underwhelmed with the new coach's methods, including with practices they say accomplish little.
This part sounds bad. =(

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, good read.

Interesting how he points out that Dirk hasn't connected with Carlisle and how some of the players feel underwhelmed with coach's methods.

He also states that Dirk's closest friends are staff members, not players... Don't know if it means anything

Last edited by Re-Dirk-ulous; 01-21-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
This part sounds bad. =(
Say it ain't so
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

This thing paints a grim picture. I hate that he doesn't even believe they are as good as the Utah/Seattle/Portland teams of the 1990s. Hate that he's such a realist.

Also stop hanging out with that retarded Al Whitley staff guy or whatever his name is. You got Carroll to white out together now bitch.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

This part sounds good....

Nowitzki has a preference.

"I've been here a long time and I want to win a championship here," he said. "To win it somewhere else probably won't feel the same because I poured my heart and soul out here for the last 10 years. That would be the ultimate to win it here.

"Other than that I can't control anything else. I'd love to play here, I want to make it work here and we'll just see what the future brings. I'm certainly not looking to bail out."

I'm not worried about what "some close to him" say.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
This thing paints a grim picture. I hate that he doesn't even believe they are as good as the Utah/Seattle/Portland teams of the 1990s. Hate that he's such a realist.

Also stop hanging out with that retarded Al Whitley staff guy or whatever his name is. You got Carroll to white out together now bitch.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
This part sounds bad. =(
Honestly, I have been pretty unimpressed with the coaching this season as well. The play calling is medicre at best, the substitutions have been near wacko (Barea starting at the 2 guard, although this one at least had some success but still...and Green, Williams, Singleton all vanishing basically after getting early minutes), inability to get consistent play out of anyone not named Dirk/Terry, inbounds plays are still pretty weak, giving up leads like against the Sixers, poor team energy/effort....etc. etc. etc.

I know this isn't ALL the coaches faults but has anyone really been impressed? The rebounding is nice but other than that...

I hope Fish or someone writes a more detailed article about what all our assistant coaches do.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Honestly, I have been pretty unimpressed with the coaching this season as well. The play calling is medicre at best, the substitutions have been near wacko (Barea starting at the 2 guard, although this one at least had some success but still...and Green, Williams, Singleton all vanishing basically after getting early minutes), inability to get consistent play out of anyone not named Dirk/Terry, inbounds plays are still pretty weak, giving up leads like against the Sixers, poor team energy/effort....etc. etc. etc. I know this isn't ALL the coaches faults but has anyone really been impressed? The rebounding is nice but other than that...

I hope Fish or someone writes a more detailed article about what all our assistant coaches do.

A lot of this was going on before RC got here, nothing really changed as ide from minor personel.

I haven't been blown away by coaching, but it's hard to get a feel of the team. After half the season, the only thing I have learned is that we need to make a move. Dirk needs consistent help, a creator of the offensive arts!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If Dirk does opt out after next year, I'm sure the Nash and Finley dealings will be part of the reason why.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thread title should be changed to "Dirk wants to be traded".
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If Dirk does opt out after next year, I'm sure the Nash and Finley dealings will be part of the reason why.
Great... Thanks for giving Chum the opportunity to discuss his favorite bit of Mavs history once again. heh j/king...

I see Dirk walking if we fall we do we ever fall below 500 for a season and/or do not make the playoffs for two seasons. If he sees absolutely no opportunity for resolve than he would be stupid not to walk. I have much more optimism for our future though, and I know Dirk does as well. We would have to be terrible (OKC Thunder terrible) over the next two years for him to consider it I think. Or if Celtics/Lakers loses Garnett/Gasol to a terrible career ending injury and they need another PF and have the mula.

Last edited by Robillion; 01-21-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

I really wouldn't read too much into the quoted section. What's wrong with having staff members instead of one of your 14 fellow players as your closest friends? It seems to me that Dirk gets along well with guys like JET, Kidd, or Dampier. After the Philly win, he specifically pointed out the team's support while the reaction on the court after his final shot seemed to indicate a good chemistry, and, which is more important, a collective and genuine interest in winning. This is why Dirk and the rest of the guys are (hopefully) here -- not to make friends for life with everyone, but to win games and eventually a ring.

As long as Dirk sees a chance to win a championship in Dallas, he will stay and support any trade that might help in that respect, even if he "lost" a friend on the way. As far as I know, he liked Devin but wanted Kidd.

Carlisle's methods are as much subject to discussion as anyone's methods, and it's okay to be skeptical after a 24-17 start, but how could it be possible to have a constantly "underwhelming" coach when two former head coaches are sitting right next to him to give advise? Rumors like this one are hard to believe, especially when a coach has had success like Carlisle. Is he maybe just 'different'?

Trading Josh for a reliable player with similar talents and seeing what Stack's contract, maybe alongside other pieces, can get you should appease Dirk more than anything, if the latter is necessary at all. Success is what makes you happy as a professional athlete.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk will never say 'trade me', so this is as 'I don't care if I'm here or not' as Dirk can get.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That article is full of hearsay and speculation. We'll never have any idea whether every player is unsatisfied with RC's practice methods, or if maybe one single player made an offhand remark about it and Garcia generalized such that he could turn it into a paragraph in his story. It could be anything.

For that reason, I tend to think that any section without quotes in an article like that is, more or less, worthless.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
That article is full of hearsay and speculation. We'll never have any idea whether every player is unsatisfied with RC's practice methods, or if maybe one single player made an offhand remark about it and Garcia generalized such that he could turn it into a paragraph in his story. It could be anything.

For that reason, I tend to think that any section without quotes in an article like that is, more or less, worthless.
I tend to agree. I was never much of a fan of Garcia's when he was a beat guy covering the team. His statements about Dirk and Carlisle seem awfully flippant and unfounded.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Garcia makes this sound worse than it probably is. Dirk's German, not a Dallas native. And how many players are necessarily chummy with their coaches, and how much does that matter? Rick's got a long way to go before he gets anywhere close to abusing his relationship with Dirk the way that f*&^nut Avery did.

Also, notice it's not stated that Dirk (or for that matter JET or Kidd) are among the veteran players less than enthusiastic about Carlisle's handling of the team. I could care less if Devean George isn't in love with his new coach. And if Josh is in that group of "several", ... well, that's just one more reason I'd be happy to see him shipped off for somebody who can play a team game when they're sharing the court with an MVP, a first-ballot HOF facilitator, and a soon-to-be 6th man of the year winner.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 01-21-2009 at 07:36 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote