Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #401
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Doubtless the reason for the delay is that Dallas is holding out for a pure fleecing of the Saints. Maybe we trade our second first-rounder for Howard plus their second-rounder. Or our second and seventh for Howard and their third.
If Fish is on to something, then I wasn't far off here. Well, I guess a second-rounder IS pretty far off from a third-rounder...but you never know how it might break down still!

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #402
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
if feel so alone on the Mike Williams bandwagon.....I so hate you all!
I'm right there with ya...
Old 04-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #403
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Thinking more about this Saints thing...

They need linebacking something awful, and CB too. If either DJ or Pac-Man are there at 11, how much would they give us to trade up five spots? We take their 16 and Howard, for our 11 and our fourth or fifth plus a conditional pick next year?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #404
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
if feel so alone on the Mike Williams bandwagon.....I so hate you all!
I'm right there with ya...
at least we have each other (sike passes a loving look deep into the eyes of his bandwagon "friend")

chum, you are making me think too much....and I like it!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #405
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

why would Dallas pick Mike Williams? two Keyshawns?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:09 PM   #406
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
why would Dallas pick Mike Williams? two Keyshawns?
Williams has more big play potential than Keyshawn ever dreamed of....plus...how great would it be as the old passes away, the new and improved comes in!...big picture...you gotta think big picture!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #407
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Sike...If Mike Williams is there I say grab him, but do you really think he is going to still be there? I don't think there is anyway he drops that far. Event though some teams question him, somebody in the top ten will take him, or there will be a trade up for him.

Also, lets remember that Keshawn Johnson used to be a lot better than he is right now. If you had added a young Keshawn to the Cowboys that would significantly upgrade the offense. However I feel Williams is going to be way better than Johnson.

With everything said, I don't see the boys taking an offensive player in the first round, especially not at 11. I wish they do, if nothing else to make the games a little more enjoyable to watch.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #408
endtroducing
Golden Member

Williams isn't fast enough to create seperation from DBs
Old 04-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #409
sike
The Preacha

neither was Mike Irvin...but he bullied his way to a soon to be hall of fame career.

Steponhens: Many have Williams falling...many have him in the top 10...we'll just have to wait and see how it all comes down.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #410
sike
The Preacha

Steven Jones says the Boys could pick up a few vets in free angency...says they are willing to spend money.

The Boys are very excited about the draft....

Old 04-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #411
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
Quote:
thanks for the info, Rex.

I saw very little of Merriman...but he sounds like quite the stud....he and Mike Williams [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sike, click here.
At the Bottom of the page, click the little video icon next to Merriman's name.
Its a good highlight video.
Spears looks like football Jesus in these highlights...boy, he hits hard! how many funbles did this dude cause.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #412
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

In the draft day thread I listed some Undrafted Free Agents the Cowboys could sign, here they are:
(Players in bold have been signed by the Cowboys)

Timmy Chang QB Hawaii (signed with Cardinals)
Bryan Randall QB Virginia Tech (signed with Falcons)
T.A. McClendon RB NC State (signed with Falcons)
Kay Jay Harris RB West Virginia (signed with Dolphins)
Tyson Thompson RB San Jose State
Steve Savoy WR Utah
Taylor Stubblefield WR Purdue (signed with Panthers)
Chauncey Stovall WR Florida State (signed with Eagles)
Geoff McArthur WR California
Zach Tuiasosopo FB Washington (signed with Steelers)
Alex Holmes TE Southern California
Matt Tarullo C Syracuse
C.J. Brooks G Maryland
Sam Lightbody T Washington State
Brandon Browner CB Oregon State (signed with Broncos)
Chris McKenzie CB Arizona State (signed with Texans)
Ernest Shazor S Michigan (signed with Cardinals)
James Butler S Georgia Tech
Matt Grootegoed S USC (signed with Buccaneers)
Jamaal Brimmer S UNLV (signed with Seahawks)

Undrafted Free Agents the Cowboys have signed:
Tyson Thompson RB San Jose State
Matt Tarullo C Syracuse
Roger Cooper LB Montana State
Jamaica Rector WR Missouri State
Reggie Harrell WR TCU
Dominique Price S Northwestern
Keith Joseph FB Texas A&M
Mike Goolsby LB Notre Dame
Sam Wilder T Colorado
Jon Condo LB/LS Maryland
Brett Visintainer K Fresno State
Tony Curtis TE Portland State
Thomas Johnson DT Middle Tennessee
Harvey Dahl T Nevada
Chris Van Hoy DT Louisiana Tech
Jonathan Evans FB Baylor
Duncan Reid TE Fresno State
Claude Sanders DE Fresno State

*I will continue to update these lists
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #413
chumdawg
Guru

Tyson Thompson is from Irving, no?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #414
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Tyson Thompson is from Irving, no?
Yes, he went to Irving HS.
Played at Garden City CC in Kansas, Corey Dillion also played there.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #415
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Good job getting Goolsby. I'm a ND fan, but I bet he makes the team. Good , Tough player. Will at least be a special teams guy.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #416
bigox71

bigox71 is on a distinguished road

Jamaica Rector is also from the dallas area. he played for celeste high school about an hour from dallas
bigox71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #417
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: bigox71
Jamaica Rector is also from the dallas area. he played for celeste high school about an hour from dallas
... is he related to NFL star Ron Mexico?

Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #418
sike
The Preacha

well, the Mavs just lost game #2...this draft really better turn out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

very nice line, cap.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:29 AM   #419
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, the Mavs just lost game #2...this draft really better turn out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

very nice line, cap.
My thoughts exactly...when is training camp again...

Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 AM   #420
dirno2000
Diamond Member

As Aaron Glenn's future with the Texans appears headed south, it seems the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback is headed north -- as in up Interstate-45 to Dallas where he will be reunited with his former coach, Bill Parcells.

The Texans gave Glenn permission to seek a deal with another team last week when they acquired cornerback Phillip Buchanon in a trade with the Oakland Raiders.

According to sources, Glenn has reached an agreement with Dallas, and the Texans will facilitate the deal by granting the 11-year veteran his release. Attempts to reach Glenn were unsuccessful.

The Houston Chronicle
Old 04-26-2005, 01:39 AM   #421
sike
The Preacha

can he play safety? Why would we make this deal?

Old 04-26-2005, 01:51 AM   #422
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Not sure..he's kind of short for a safety. I also doubt we'd give Henry a $10MM them move him to safety. He'd be a damn good 3rd corner. Not bad for a team that's struggled to find a 2nd corner. This defense has a chance to be really nasty.

Brock Marion was released today although he has to be about 50.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #423
chumdawg
Guru

Aaron Glenn is an Aggie, no?

At any rate, thanks for the update, Dirno. I'll take him in a heartbeat. It meshes with Bill's WIN-NOW philosophy. I love it. I'm only thirty-one, but I ain't got time for all this rebuilding bizness. We gots to win NOW.

Truth is, though, Glenn will probably be in a fight to make the team in training camp. We have a lot of talent at CB coming back from next year. Maybe not any REAL talent, but a lot nonetheles.

Interesting that Brock got his walking papers. I will always have fond memories of #31. No interest in him here, but I hope he finds a home if he wants to play awhile.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:19 AM   #424
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Truth is, though, Glenn will probably be in a fight to make the team in training camp.
IMO he has a better chance of pushing Newman or Henry then he does getting pushed off the roster by on of our young corners. He's no longer a Pro-Bowler, but he can still make plays (5 int's last season).

If we keep Hunter, our corners will be Newman, Henry, Glenn, Hunter, Frazier and Reeves if he shows enough to make Bill keep a 6th corner.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #425
chumdawg
Guru

So Thorton is out of the mix? Fourth-round pick last year, no?

I don't know enough about Glenn, these days. I certainly hope he is still skilled enough to play. That sounds like a pretty stout six-man rotation to me. Frazier showed me something last year, as raw as he was. For that matter, Reeves did too.

I'm getting fired up. Look at it in retrospect. Last year we were willing to throw freakin' rookies out there at corner. And unheralded rookies, at that. This year we are getting more serious about things.

This defense is going to be stout.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:01 AM   #426
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
So Thorton is out of the mix? Fourth-round pick last year, no?
I forgot all about him. I honestly don't know who the odd man out would but, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Glenn.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #427
endtroducing
Golden Member

Glenn will be outstanding.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #428
sike
The Preacha

quick stats on him for last year?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #429
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Glenn would be a good nickel cb, and we'd still have Hunter to put on big WR's in the nickel. Either way it'd be nice to have a vet reserve at CB. Then all the 2nd year guys could fight to get a spot.

Newman
Henry
Glenn
Hunter
Frazier
N.Jones
Reeves
Thorton
I think these 3 would fight for one spot on the team, and one on the practice squad. And Jones was the best special teamer last year, so he has the leg up.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:07 AM   #430
endtroducing
Golden Member

I don't know the stats for Glenn last year, but I'm sure they were down...Dunta Robinson played like a man and personally sealed Glenn's fate. but, having a smart vet like Glenn as a reserve is GOLDEN, imo...the additions of this team have been so good. Anthony Henry, Marcus Spears, Demarcus Ware, Drew Bledsoe, Marco Rivera, Marion Barber, Kevin Burnett, Aaron Glenn, Jay Ratliff, the guy from Ball State...just outstanding. Dallas is back, bitches
Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #431
Just211
Platinum Member

I'd like to copy a post from the DMN forum posted by DEKE

Very interesting

Subject Comparing Beriault,poole and Bullocks
[Post#: 426569 ]
Posted by Deke (User )
Posted on 4/26/05 07:48 AM

here are the stats from the combine

Height = Beriault (6026), Pool (6010), Bullocks (6000) = Beriault tallest by over an inch.

Weight = Bullocks (209), Pool (207), Beriault (204) = only 5 lbs seperate all these guys so it equals a wash.

Speed = Bullocks (4.46), Pool (4.52), Beriault (4.52) = Bullocks the fastest. I give the tie breaker between Pool & Beriault to Pool becaue Pool is the better player.

Agility = Beriault (6.93), Bullocks (7.09), Pool (7.24) = One report states that Beriault slips through the cracks to make plays on the run so his agility is good on the field too.

Acceration = Beriault (3.84), Bullocks (4.09), Pool (4.49) = Maybe the speed tie should go to Beriault after all.

Jump = Beriault (39.5), Pool (39), Bullocks (37.5) = So on top of being the tallest he jumps the highest too.

"Explosiveness" via the Broad Jump = Beriault (11'), Pool (10'), Bullocks (9' 10") = Big edge Beriault

Smarts,wonderlic score = Beriault (20), Bullocks (19), Pool (16) = good test to show how good players are at quick thinking

I think this guy will be the starter come September.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a feeling this Beriualt will be a fan favorite

BERRY O ! BERRY O!

Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #432
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
I don't know the stats for Glenn last year, but I'm sure they were down...Dunta Robinson played like a man and personally sealed Glenn's fate. but, having a smart vet like Glenn as a reserve is GOLDEN, imo...the additions of this team have been so good. Anthony Henry, Marcus Spears, Demarcus Ware, Drew Bledsoe, Marco Rivera, Marion Barber, Kevin Burnett, Aaron Glenn, Jay Ratliff, the guy from Ball State...just outstanding. Dallas is back, bitches
sounds good to me...looks like that star might start to mean something again.....at least on the defensive end.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM   #433
sike
The Preacha

from DMN
Quote:
By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys, who have spent the entire off-season revamping their defense, might add another valuable piece this week.

Houston is expected to release veteran cornerback Aaron Glenn, perhaps as soon as today, according to published reports. Glenn became expendable when the Texans traded draft picks to Oakland for cornerback Phillip Buchanon last week.

Glenn had 63 tackles and five interceptions as a starter for Houston last season, has three years remaining on his contract and was scheduled to earn $4 million this season.

Three sources said the Cowboys would have interest in signing the 11-year veteran out of Texas A&M. His agent, Jimmy Sexton, who represents several Cowboys and coach Bill Parcells, could not be reached for comment.

Glenn played for Parcells and secondary coach Todd Bowles with the Jets.

The Cowboys spent the fifth pick in the 2003 draft on cornerback Terence Newman, and they gave free-agent cornerback Anthony Henry a five-year deal that included a $10 million signing bonus last month.

But there is little proven depth behind them.

Pete Hunter, who has balked at moving to safety, is coming off a torn knee ligament that forced him to miss the final 13 games. Jacques Reeves, Lance Frazier and Bruce Thornton are entering their second seasons.

Glenn would fit in nicely as a nickel cornerback and give defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer a viable option for a starter if injuries forced Newman or Henry from the lineup.

Although Glenn is only 5-9, he has good leaping ability and does a nice job of locating the ball in the air and making a play on it.

He has 35 career interceptions.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #434
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The great thing about being a Mavs fan is that football season is always around the corner. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #435
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
The great thing about being a Mavs fan is that football season is always around the corner. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I so want to kick you in the shin!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #436
chumdawg
Guru

Was talking to a friend about this Tyson Thompson kid. His junior year against LD Bell, Thompson rolled up over 500 yards to go with his seven touchdowns. Wow. Supposed to have had some character issues that kept him from realizing his potential.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #437
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

he's been accused of theft while at Garden City, but the charge was dismissed. I am a big HS football and recruiting nut, and I thought he was going to be a star, but something just hasn't registered with him it seems. I don't give him much of a chance to make this team either unless someone gets injured. He will have to beat out Bickerstaff and Lee...can he? I doubt it.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #438
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
I so want to kick you in the shin!
OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #439
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

cowboys are 35/1 to win the super bowl

AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #440
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Aaron Glenn signs with the Boys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and Richie Anderson likely won't be back this year...