Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
11 points and 15 boards, all the while being a completely unproven player. I could be wrong about Damp's stats, but when was the last time he put up 11 and 15 in a playoff game?

For that matter, Gortat stayed on the court for 40 minutes. When is the last time Damp played 40 minutes in a playoff game? Has he ever?
Gortat's last (and only) 40 minutes playoff game happened exactly two nights after Damp's last 40 minutes playoff game. Damp put up a double/double in that game while contending with Tim Duncan. You could easily make the case that Damp's performance that night out shined Gortat's given the competition.

Anything else?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Gortat's last (and only) 40 minutes playoff game happened exactly two nights after Damp's last 40 minutes playoff game. Damp put up a double/double in that game while contending with Tim Duncan. You could easily make the case that Damp's performance that night out shined Gortat's given the competition.

Anything else?
Damp manage a 40MP and a 38MP against the Spurs, giving him two games in ten (that's 20%, for the mathematically disinclined) that he managed to keep himself on the court for more than a mere 23 MPG. Why? If it wasn't for suckitude, look at the fouls given. When you give fouls out like candy, it may look like you are playing good defense, but the flip side of that is that you cann't keep it up for long.

Anyway...when Damp went for 40 he put up 10 and 11 and 11 and 12. The ENTIRE rest of the time he was pretty much non-existent. Against Denver, he was probably hurting the team more than he was helping. It is almost difficult to describe just how bad he was in that series. You hold Duncan up as proof of Damp's prowess. Evidently if Damp could play Duncan every time we would be good off with him. If he had to play Denver every time, he would be the worst player in the league.

So...yeah, that's what else.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Damp manage a 40MP and a 38MP against the Spurs, giving him two games in ten (that's 20%, for the mathematically disinclined) that he managed to keep himself on the court for more than a mere 23 MPG. Why? If it wasn't for suckitude, look at the fouls given. When you give fouls out like candy, it may look like you are playing good defense, but the flip side of that is that you cann't keep it up for long.

Anyway...when Damp went for 40 he put up 10 and 11 and 11 and 12. The ENTIRE rest of the time he was pretty much non-existent. Against Denver, he was probably hurting the team more than he was helping. It is almost difficult to describe just how bad he was in that series. You hold Duncan up as proof of Damp's prowess. Evidently if Damp could play Duncan every time we would be good off with him. If he had to play Denver every time, he would be the worst player in the league.

And?

Look you brought up the double/double and the minutes played. I simply answered your questions and brought a little factual evidence to the discussion.

I don't think anyone ever made the case that Damp is all-NBA quality. I know I certainly didn't. So I'm not really sure what you're getting at with your post above.

If you expect Gortat to be putting up 11 and 15 on a nightly basis in any matchup in the playoffs AND defend the paint then prepare to be disappointed.

Again, I am NOT saying Gortat will not be a successful rotation player. I'm not even saying it's out of the question that he's a better player than Damp next season. All I've said all along is that the notion that he's automatically an upgrade over Damp and ready to start and play 30+ minutes a night is ridiculous.

That's not even much of a limb to go out on, either. There are people in this thread comparing Gortat to Calvin Booth for goodness sake. Am I really saying anything that off the wall?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Again, I am NOT saying Gortat will not be a successful rotation player. I'm not even saying it's out of the question that he's a better player than Damp next season.
Whoa, cowboy. A minute ago you were banging your head against a hard surface.

Quote:
There are people in this thread comparing Gortat to Calvin Booth for goodness sake. Am I really saying anything that off the wall?
You want to throw your lot in with that?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Whoa, cowboy. A minute ago you were banging your head against a hard surface.
*sigh*

Do you not see a distinction between "Gortat could possibly surpass Damp as a player at some point next season" and "Well at least Gortat's better than that scrub Dampier"?????

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
*sigh*

Do you not see a distinction between "Gortat could possibly surpass Damp as a player at some point next season" and "Well at least Gortat's better than that scrub Dampier"?????
Distinction between what could happen and what might not happen? Of course. Cuts both ways, though, bro. When you were banging your head on your desk, you were displaying your clear judgment that you knew which way the worm would turn.

It's like we're going to flip a coin, and someone thinks it coming up heads, and you beat your head on the desk over and over again because you just KNOW that it's coming up tails.

Well, if you do know that, then it makes sense to do so. But you don't. As you have now come around to admitting.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Distinction between what could happen and what might not happen? Of course. Cuts both ways, though, bro. When you were banging your head on your desk, you were displaying your clear judgment that you knew which way the worm would turn.

It's like we're going to flip a coin, and someone thinks it coming up heads, and you beat your head on the desk over and over again because you just KNOW that it's coming up tails.

Well, if you do know that, then it makes sense to do so. But you don't. As you have now come around to admitting.
No it's distinction between what might happen and the current situation. The current situation is that Damp is an average starting NBA center with a lot of skins on the wall (relatively speaking).

The current situation is that Gortat is basically a guy coming off his rookie season and has played more than half an NBA game only a handful of times.

So the idea that Gortat is, as of July 3rd, 2009, a better starting center than Dampier is ridiculous (in my opinion).

What I will concede is that on July 3rd of 2010, Gortat may have proven himself capable of being a starting center on a playoff caliber team, and established himself as a better option for the Mavericks.

That is NOTHING like claiming you know what the outcome of a coin flip is. Your analogy there was terrible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-03-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You want to throw your lot in with that?
No. There's simply not enough of a body of work to make that claim yet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:

Throughout his career, Damp averages 4.3 fouls/36 minutes and that number was down to 3.7 last season. Gortat averages 5.0 fouls/36 minutes. Tell me again, who's more likely to be on the court? The numbers say Damp.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Anything else?
I just instantly became a lot less excited about Gortat.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Damp put up a double/double in that game while contending with Tim Duncan.
Anything else?

Really? Not Samuel Dalambert?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Really? Not Samuel Dalambert?
?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #13
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
?
Gortats 15/11 game was against the sixers.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Gortats 15/11 game was against the sixers.
This doesn't really clarify anything for me. I didn't say it wasn't.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh well then I was comparing Duncan with Dalambert.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he was agreeing with you by pointing out that Gortat was playing against far less competition than Tim Duncan in his big game.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?