Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #81
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

About the 2nd round thing, I was thinking it was possible for them to get the 4th seed. Nevermind.

My point about the 3 headed monster is that it's pretty obvious that Yao gets tired really easy, even when he's not injured. Having 3 athletic 7 footers pushing him around all the time could put a lot of wear and tear on him by the end of a series.

I wouldn't put that much emotion into preseason. Preseasons means absolutly nothing. If dallas went out and beat Houston by 50 points I wouldn't be any less worried about Houston, and vise versa. You know the difference of importance between regular season games and playoff games? The difference is even greater between preseason-regular season. Plus I expect both teams will not play their stars that much (yao/tmac are too injury prone for useless games, and Dirk is too tired)

See ya in Houston on Nov 4th.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #82
RoxFan

RoxFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
About the 2nd round thing, I was thinking it was possible for them to get the 4th seed. Nevermind.
I'm f***ing with you, Ted.

Quote:
My point about the 3 headed monster is that it's pretty obvious that Yao gets tired really easy, even when he's not injured. Having 3 athletic 7 footers pushing him around all the time could put a lot of wear and tear on him by the end of a series.
Apparently, you didn't see any of Yao after the all-star break last year. He averaged over 35 minutes and was dominant through the fourth quarter. It really doesn't matter how many 7 footers you put on him in a series, he will do just fine.

Quote:
I wouldn't put that much emotion into preseason. Preseasons means absolutly nothing. If dallas went out and beat Houston by 50 points I wouldn't be any less worried about Houston, and vise versa. You know the difference of importance between regular season games and playoff games? The difference is even greater between preseason-regular season. Plus I expect both teams will not play their stars that much (yao/tmac are too injury prone for useless games, and Dirk is too tired)
Agreed. I was just mentioning that we will have a preview in October. I will be very interested in the first quarter of that game and am looking forward to seeing how we compete with the best team in the WC.

Quote:
See ya in Houston on Nov 4th.
I'll be there and if you are in the Toyota Center, there will be no missing the section I am in.
RoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxFan
It will definitely qualify as the hardest division ever. And you are right that anything could happen. Like I said, I am not predicting anything, merely making the comment that the Rockets will be tough to beat this year.

I guess it could happen if y'all can hold down the 4th seed.

Say that again in May.

Just like Dirk, nobody can shut TMac down when he is healthy. I don't care who you put on him, TMac will go off.

As far as Yao goes, you will need to put all three guys on him at the same time and I think league rules disallow having seven guys on the court at the same time. Yao averaged 26 and 12 after the all-star break (after the toe infection was removed) and will continue that kind of play this year.

I wouldn't expect you to be worried yet. You can start on October 17th.

Thank you for the welcome, but I am a fairly rabid fan who won season tickets this year due to my rowdiness. However, I will never troll or insult people, even those who choose to live in Dallas. I keed, I keed.
Tmac is extremely inconsistent. Its why he shoots the percentage he shoots. You are correct that when he is on he is unstoppable but he isnt nearly as dangerous over a full season as he is over a series. The rockets are a dangerous team in a series but there is essentially no chance they have a better record than the mavs in the regular season which is what we are discussing now. as for yao, i like him alot but his scoring is going back down. Tmac being out was a HUGE reason for his increased scoring.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #84
RoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Tmac is extremely inconsistent.
Since when? TMac is a 25 point per night scorer, a very good defender, and brings it every night. Saying he is "inconsistent" shows that you haven't seen TMac in action much.

Quote:
Its why he shoots the percentage he shoots.
He shot a low percentage last year because he was injured. He is a career 44% shooter and will return to that form again this year.

Quote:
You are correct that when he is on he is unstoppable but he isnt nearly as dangerous over a full season as he is over a series. The rockets are a dangerous team in a series but there is essentially no chance they have a better record than the mavs in the regular season which is what we are discussing now.
You mean like the seasons he singlehandedly took Orlando to the playoffs? Again you show that you haven't seen TMac much.

Quote:
as for yao, i like him alot but his scoring is going back down. Tmac being out was a HUGE reason for his increased scoring.
That was one reason, but Yao has increased his scoring every year he has been in the league. He will not go below 20 PPG for several years. Mark it, Dude!

You are in for some pretty big surprises. Let's talk about this again in April.

Last edited by RoxFan; 09-28-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mentioned that team two years ago, yes they almost beat the mavs in the season BUT they finished 6 games behind them in the regular season. If everything goes PERFECTLY for the rockets at max they are a 57 win team. THat is the ABSOLUTE max for them.

Dallas WILL win more than 57 games barring an injury to dirk in which case it wont matter because not only will dallas not beat the rockets, they wont make the playoffs...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Seriously, formaldehyde-dipped chronic...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #87
RoxFan

Quote:
You mentioned that team two years ago, yes they almost beat the mavs in the season BUT they finished 6 games behind them in the regular season. If everything goes PERFECTLY for the rockets at max they are a 57 win team. THat is the ABSOLUTE max for them.
Perhaps, but that would be plenty good enough for a first round home court series. I like the Rox chances against anyone in a seven game series.

Quote:
Dallas WILL win more than 57 games barring an injury to dirk in which case it wont matter because not only will dallas not beat the rockets, they wont make the playoffs.
Even I believe that Dallas would limp into the playoffs sans Dirk. I think it is a bit strange that I have a higher opinion of the Mavs supporting cast than a Mavs fan.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #88
RoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog

Seriously, formaldehyde-dipped chronic...
Seriously, Mavs flavored kool-aid from the same state that Calvin lives in.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #89
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously, Mavs flavored kool-aid from the same state that Calvin lives in.

Seriously...

Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #90
Underdog

Wait, you're a Rockets fan? I thought you were a Spurs fan! [I like to fight Spurs fans...] The Rockets? Well, I didn't realize they had fans... [sorry about the confusion, mate!]

Last edited by Underdog; 09-29-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #91
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Perhaps, but that would be plenty good enough for a first round home court series. I like the Rox chances against anyone in a seven game series.

Even I believe that Dallas would limp into the playoffs sans Dirk. I think it is a bit strange that I have a higher opinion of the Mavs supporting cast than a Mavs fan.
i have never said that I dont think the rockets would make the playoffs. I said they wont be better than the mavs or Spurs. Also you mention that the rockets have improved from that meeting 2 years ago. True they might have but that was also as well as mcgrady is capable of playing and with his horrendous shot selection its doubtful he could match that again for a full series. Also, its not like dallas hasnt gotten better since then. You still have no one to handle Jet, or Josh howard who has learned to punish teams who guard dirk with 3s.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #92
RoxFan

Quote:
Seriously...
http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Calvin_and_Hobbes

Sorry it was too obscure for you. Second paragraph.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #93
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i have never said that I dont think the rockets would make the playoffs. I said they wont be better than the mavs or Spurs. Also you mention that the rockets have improved from that meeting 2 years ago. True they might have but that was also as well as mcgrady is capable of playing and with his horrendous shot selection its doubtful he could match that again for a full series. Also, its not like dallas hasnt gotten better since then. You still have no one to handle Jet, or Josh howard who has learned to punish teams who guard dirk with 3s.
He was saying he thinks the mavs will win the playoffs even if dirk gets injured.

Something I don't agree with. The west is insanely tough.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #94
RoxFan

Quote:
Wait, you're a Rockets fan? I thought you were a Spurs fan! I like to fight Spurs fans... The Rockets? Well, I didn't realize they had fans... [sorry about the confusion, mate!]
That's OK, from what I understand, the Mavs have only had fans for what, five years. j/k
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #95
fluid.forty.one

In Underdogs defense... He's new and we haven't seen many rockets fans here since we beat them in the most lopsided game 7 in nba history. God I loved that game.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #96
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
He was saying he thinks the mavs will win the playoffs even if dirk gets injured.

Something I don't agree with. The west is insanely tough.
the mavs wouldnt make the playoffs let alone win them if dirk was injured.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #97
RoxFan

Quote:
i have never said that I dont think the rockets would make the playoffs. I said they wont be better than the mavs or Spurs.
Honestly, I don't expect the Rox to be as good as the Mavs this year. We have some chemistry questions and some young bench players that would have to step up in a BIG way for that to happen. However, the Spurs are another story. We already matched up well with them before we picked up Battier and Wells.

Quote:
Also you mention that the rockets have improved from that meeting 2 years ago. True they might have but that was also as well as mcgrady is capable of playing and with his horrendous shot selection its doubtful he could match that again for a full series.
He won't have to shoot as much with dependable guys like Battier, Head, and Wells in the lineup. His shots will go down, his % will go up, and his assists are going to be stellar this year.

Quote:
Also, its not like dallas hasnt gotten better since then. You still have no one to handle Jet, or Josh howard who has learned to punish teams who guard dirk with 3s.
Except that we have Wells, TMac, and Battier, all of whom are able to guard either Dirk or Howard.

Again, I am not saying that we are going to be better than the Mavs this year, but the Spurs are ripe for the picking as Duncan's age is creeping up on them.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #98
RoxFan

Quote:
In Underdogs defense... He's new and we haven't seen many rockets fans here since we beat them in the most lopsided game 7 in nba history. God I loved that game.
It was a great series. I hope we see you again in '07 because I think that would be a great series as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #99
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
the mavs wouldnt make the playoffs let alone win them if dirk was injured.
I know.. I was agreeing with you, disagreeing with him. There's too many teams waiting to jump on an opportunity like that.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #100
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
It was a great series. I hope we see you again in '07 because I think that would be a great series as well.
Hopefully the ending will be a little more interesting too
Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #101
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Yes...I am stoked about this signing. A talent like Wells for $2M a yr....you can't beat that.

I think the move gives the Rockets a chance to contend for a title now. Prior to the trade we didn't have a compotent 3rd scorer, or a swingman that could consistently put up points if Tracy missed time again. We have too many new players for us to assume we are an elite team (gotta see how all the pieces fit together), but I don't think anyone would want to face Yao & T-Mac in the playoffs if they are surrounded by competent role players. Wells & Battier alone are an upgrade over the guys we had surrounding our stars when y'all dusted us 2 years ago. Ryan Bowen was starting....that says enough.

The division will be tough this yr, and fun to watch. Too bad Gasol got hurt....
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:54 AM   #102
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Honestly, I don't expect the Rox to be as good as the Mavs this year. We have some chemistry questions and some young bench players that would have to step up in a BIG way for that to happen. However, the Spurs are another story. We already matched up well with them before we picked up Battier and Wells.

He won't have to shoot as much with dependable guys like Battier, Head, and Wells in the lineup. His shots will go down, his % will go up, and his assists are going to be stellar this year.

Except that we have Wells, TMac, and Battier, all of whom are able to guard either Dirk or Howard. I actually think the rockets remind me a little of The mavs of 3 years ago. Tmac Bonzi and battier are all 3s. Tmac can play the 2 but i really think the rockets are in for a rude awakening when they try to play battier at the 4 all year.

Again, I am not saying that we are going to be better than the Mavs this year, but the Spurs are ripe for the picking as Duncan's age is creeping up on them.
you know that wells isnt that good defensively right? Dont get me wrong hes not horrible but its not his strength.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 09-29-2006 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #103
TheDiggler

TheDiggler is infamous around these partsTheDiggler is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Duncan is only 30 and was injured last season....he wasn't himself. Now with that said...The Mavs are the team to beat because they are the Western Conference champs, but at the end of the day....I believe the Rockets and Mavs will be chasing them from short distances
TheDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #104
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Yes...I am stoked about this signing. A talent like Wells for $2M a yr....you can't beat that.

Good point - we got Devean George for about the same price... I think the Rockets spent their money wisely & Wells should be a good fit & actually make them a conteder this year...

I still don't think they'll be a threat in the playoffs, but that's just because they're in the same division as San Antonio & Dallas... Hell, half of the Western Conference could end up being serious competitors this year, depending on who suffers & who profits from injuries...

Last edited by Underdog; 09-29-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #105
TheDiggler

TheDiggler is infamous around these partsTheDiggler is infamous around these parts

Quote:
you know that wells isnt that good defensively right? Dont get me wrong hes not horrible but its not his strength.

He's not Bruce Bowen, but he's a good defender...you must have not seem many of his games.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #106
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggler
I believe the Rockets and Mavs will be chasing them [Spurs] from short distances

You're half-right...

Old 09-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #107
TheDiggler

Quote:
You're half-right...
Please, try not to let that Finals appearance go to your head lol

To underestimate a team because they had a injury plague season is a lil far fetch...might bite you really soon.

Last edited by TheDiggler; 09-29-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #108
Underdog

Quote:
Please, try not to let that Finals appearance go to your head lol

To underestimate a team because they had a injury plague season is a lil far fetch...might bite you really soon.

No, I agree that the Rockets - and not the Mavs - will be playing at the heels of the Spurs...

But, the Spurs will be playing at the heels of the Mavs... (we had some of the most man hours lost to injury last season!)

[don't get defensive - it's the pre-season, nothing has been proven, and you're in MY house right now, so get used to the MAVS LOVE!]

Last edited by Underdog; 09-30-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #109
RoxFan

Quote:
Not his strength, but not a glaring weakness either.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #110
TheDiggler

Quote:
No, I agree that the Rockets - and not the Mavs - will be playing at the heels of the Spurs...

But, the Spurs will be playing at the heels of the Mavs... (we had some of the most man hours lost to injury last season!)

[don't get defensive - it's the pre-season, nothing has been proven, and your in MY house right now, so get used to the MAVS LOVE!]
Oh I didn't get defensive.....I'm a fan of the league. I love basketball period. I respect your house and what the Mavs are all about. It's good to have confidence in your team, that's what it's all about. The Mav's represented the West well last season...just ran into a buzz saw named Wade.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #111
tmac1yao11

tmac1yao11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

[don't get defensive - it's the pre-season, nothing has been proven, and your in MY house right now, so get used to the MAVS LOVE!]
Yeah and guess who had the most man hours lost to injury?
tmac1yao11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #112
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

call me crazy, but I don't think it was a good signing for the Rockets. I mean Wells is okay, but I don't think he's what the Rockets needed.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #113
TheDiggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
call me crazy, but I don't think it was a good signing for the Rockets. I mean Wells is okay, but I don't think he's what the Rockets needed.
Crazy....what do the Rockets need then?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #114
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
How about a better point guard and power forward for starters.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #115
Underdog

Quote:

A miracle? No, wait - A CLUE!

(I expect you Rox fans to buy me a drink if we keep winking at eachother like this!)

Last edited by Underdog; 09-29-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #116
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

when has our division not been tough?

as long as we finish strong, who cares about the recs.. our team and our fans are built for the playoffs baby

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #117
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

those who take the rockets lightly are just blind homers

Contact Me
Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #118
alby
Guru

Quote:
Not his strength, but not a glaring weakness either.
and now he has yao ming and mutombo to cover some of his mistakes.. solid defensive team, defense has never been a problem for the rockets anyways.

Contact Me
Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #119
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
those who take the rockets lightly are just blind homers

..and those who thought the Mavs missed their window last season need to realize that we're building for the long-haul & plan on returning to the Finals this year...

A dose of neutrality is healthy for both homers & haters, but I don't think you'll find any interest in that on a FAN site (the word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic")...

Observe: THE MAVS ARE GOING TO OWN EVERY TEAM THIS SEASON WITH AN 82-GAME WINNING STREAK, MVP FOR DIRK, & VICTORY IN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

(now THAT's a fanatic... Let's watch the Rockets fans chew me up over that statement!)

Last edited by Underdog; 09-30-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #120
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

bonzi will be spreading his cancer all over the cess-pool, katrina evacuee-ridden town known as Houston beginning any day now...

Count them out.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote