Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-05-2002, 02:24 PM   #41
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

My dogs breath smells like your cats poop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2002, 02:39 PM   #42
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Be careful guys. Big brother is watching you.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:42 PM   #43
Drbio
Banned

But my dogs breath really does smell liek cat poop. If big brother wants to smell to confirm it I will be happy to oblige. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2002, 04:23 PM   #44
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Oh Miser David, are you EVER right???

&quot;Just when we were beginning to believe that Donald Sterling had changed his tune, the Los Angeles Clippers owner showed up on draft day last week sounding like Bob Dylan after a bout with laryngitis.

In other words, the times they really aren't a-changin'.

Cavs point guard Andre Miller was close to playing for his hometown Clippers.
After the Clippers finally assembled a very high-quality group of big and talented players last season, with the perfect coach for the young bunch in Alvin Gentry, everything pointed toward the final piece of the puzzle being one of the native-son point guards: Baron Davis of the New Orleans Hornets or Andre Miller of Cleveland.

Both players expressed their interest at being the leader of the new brat pack and a chance to unseat the Lakers as the kings of Los Angeles for the first time.

And in case you hadn't heard, the deal with Cleveland for Miller was done on draft day.

Agreed to, that is, until Sterling intervened. With the Clippers' eighth and 12th picks, the Cavs were pleased with the prospect of rebuilding. Their own choice turned out to be explosive young guard Dajuan Wagner, and they preferred one young small forward from the Clippers ... preferably Darius Miles as opposed to Lamar Odom or Corey Maggette. Initially, Sterling didn't want to part with either of the first two, then finally agreed to Odom.

But it didn't happen until the Clippers were on the clock for the eighth pick, and instead of taking Caron Butler for the Cavs, they selected Chris Wilcox, whom the Cavs didn't want. The Clippers then took Melvin Ely at 12, which was fine with the Cavs, but they still aren't certain the package works because they wanted Butler, not Wilcox.

And now the Clippers have two players who are expected to develop into power forwards, which wouldn't be such a drag were it not for the fact the Clippers' lone All-Star is 23-year-old power forward Elton Brand. Oh, and now Odom knows he was a foulup away from being shipped from the nirvana of L.A. to Cleveland, which is, uh, not his dream town.

Sound like a mess?

Sounds like the Clippers we had all grown to know and love to laugh at.

Unfortunately, it's not so amusing for Gentry, general manager Elgin Baylor and the rest of the players who were under the impression the franchise was one slick feed from turning the corner into a Western Conference contender.

Chances are the Cavs will still part with Miller for a comparable package, considering they don't want to pay him the max and that they want to retool with younger and more exciting players that are at least inexpensive for the next five seasons.

But even if the deal does come down, will Sterling alter his historically penny-pinching ways and pay Miller, Brand, Miles, Michael Olowokandi and the rest of the budding stars fair market value?

Nobody is counting on it.

The prevailing winds are already crying that the organization remains as vulnerable as ever to an intervention from The Donald West, and the subsequent relapse will leave them as nothing more than a co-tenant at the Staples Center and a muse for the world champion Lakers.

Again.&quot;

Ah, looks like they DID want to keep Odom, so one wrong mark for David.

Looks like their Miller trade WAS BOTCHED B/C OF STERLING, two wrong marks for Davind.

Would you like me to continue?
>>

It looks like you found someone's INTERPRETATION of a possible trade for Odom. Were they the facts? Who knows? Judging from the two Clipper's draft picks, SOMETHING was going on. It's still a wait-and-see situation to me. My guess is, Sterling is smart enough to get top dollar for Odom. Perhaps you should give someone the proper credit for the article you just reprinted and then the rest of us can know who's opinion you are parroting.

Link to ANOTHER interpretation of the Clippers/Cavs deal

PS: dirk77's article was by Mike Kahn at Sportsline.com
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:31 PM   #45
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

but THE REASON the deal fell apart was b/c mr. Sterling drafted Wilcox, instead of what the cavs HAVE SAID THEY WANTED, Butler.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #46
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< but THE REASON the deal fell apart was b/c mr. Sterling drafted Wilcox, instead of what the cavs HAVE SAID THEY WANTED, Butler. >>

Says your unidentified reporter. David has already posted another (identified) reporter who says that the Cleveland deal had already fallen through before the draft even started.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 07:04 PM   #47
Dirk77
Banned

No, No, No. John Lucas HAS SAID that was the reason the deal fell through, it's simply a fact.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:38 PM   #48
David
Golden Member

<< No, No, No. John Lucas HAS SAID that was the reason the deal fell through, it's simply a fact. >>

Then all you have to do is post the article where Lucas is quoted. That would at least lend SOME credibility to your view. That would be assuming that Lucas knows what HE is talking about.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #49
Dirk77
Banned

I heard him say it in a press conference. Im sure it's on the internet somewhere. Im too lazy to look for it, but if you want, you can.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:57 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

<< I heard him say it in a press conference. Im sure it's on the internet somewhere. Im too lazy to look for it, but if you want, you can. >>

definitely an expected reply
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:01 PM   #51
Dirk77
Banned

no, im serious! Im SURE it must be on the internet somewhere, but the thing is this: I already know he said it, so im not going to go digging for what I already know.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:08 PM   #52
David
Golden Member

<< no, im serious! Im SURE it must be on the internet somewhere, but the thing is this: I already know he said it, so im not going to go digging for what I already know. >>

I'm sure on the Internet somewhere is a quote that says Sterling is a free-spender, but...let's just say...I doubt it.

YOU expect US to believe you, because you said it? LOL! That's a good one. It lends A LOT of credibility to your viewpoint.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:18 PM   #53
Dirk77
Banned

please, check a cavs site. Better yet, go to a cavs message board, and ask them, ok.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:26 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

can you come up with a quote from someone to back up what YOU had to say?
Old 07-05-2002, 08:28 PM   #55
Dirk77
Banned

sure.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:32 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

please do
Old 07-05-2002, 08:37 PM   #57
David
Golden Member

<< please, check a cavs site. Better yet, go to a cavs message board, and ask them, ok. >>

Why don't YOU back up what YOU say? If you have nothing, just say you have nothing and go on to another subject. It's as simple as that.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:31 PM   #58
Drbio
Banned

I'm shocked that ....well, you know....
Old 07-06-2002, 03:50 AM   #59
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hey Doc, what do you mean? Is it something with your cat?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #60
Drbio
Banned

The cat is having a tough time. But he is doing a lot better than a certain poster here is versus King David. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

well..i think it's that certain poster against everyone.. and he's yet to log a &quot;W&quot; in the win column
Old 07-06-2002, 03:49 PM   #62
Drbio
Banned

He's logging W's alright...in the whine column. Or is it waste? wanting? wishful? WTF? or somesuch.
Old 07-06-2002, 05:17 PM   #63
David
Golden Member

dirk77's alright. He doesn't let the facts get in the way of his opinion.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #64
Drbio
Banned

pppffffftttttt.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 08:34 PM   #65
Murphy3
Guru

interesting
Old 07-07-2002, 09:35 AM   #66
David
Golden Member

I found this on Inside Hoops:

&quot;In a behind-the-scenes story by Sports Illustrated magazine on the Cavs' draft preparations, head coach John Lucas and other officials appear to gloat over how well they deceived the media (and, in reality, Cavs fans) about their plans. Given that, isn't it fair to question whether team officials are telling the truth when they insist they weren't trying to do something underhanded by letting Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary phenom LeBron James work out recently with Cavs players - a move leading the NBA to fine the team $150,000 and suspend Lucas for two games? Many folks, including respected hoops analyst Jay Bilas, think Lucas and the Cavs knew exactly what they were doing by inviting James: It was part of a sneaky campaign by the team to court the high school star, just in case it has a chance to draft him in 2003. Now, who's to say the skeptics aren't right - after the serious hit the Cavs' credibility takes in the Sports Illustrated piece?&quot; Cleveland Plain Dealer

Wasn't someone trying to quote John Lucas and believing what he said?
Old 07-09-2002, 01:10 AM   #67
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Trying to make that other thread disappear