Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default Mavs displaying a new toughness last night

I read through the postgame quotes this morning and liked what I saw. I haven't seen this posted yet.

Mavericks guard Jason Terry
On the physical nature of the game:
“I thought it was a hard-fought battle by both teams, very intense. Golden State has been on a roll of late, but we came out and matched their intensity. It’s not a situation where we’re going to back down. We have no soft players on this team. That’s not our identity. Teams want to get physical, we do it right back, and make it a long night for them. We’re going to get to the free throw line more than them, and we shoot a good percentage from there.”

Avery:
On all the technical fouls:
“We’re just battling right now. We’re just not going to back down from any team. You don’t have to get thrown out of the game, but I’d want my players to hold their ground in any of those situations.”
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Mavs displaying a new toughness last night

I like the F'em attitude the Mavs seem to have now. Dirk isn't going to let people push him around anymore. Avery will get on the players for not talking back and getting phsyical. I think we can all appreciate this. Great news, especially when we play elite teams that are more physical.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

KVB had a nice one too, which you can see in my sig:
Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Avery referred to him as "one of our better pick-and-roll defenders". KVB refers to himself as a guy who "likes to bang."

KVB is a monster.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think KVB's attitude, not to mention his production of late, ought to put all those "chemistry" questions to bed? He seems like a guy you'd love to play with.

Not to mention that he probably shares a certain kinship with fellow Mormon Shawn Bradley.

But back on topic...yeah, these aren't Charles Barkley's Mavericks anymore.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk ain't backing down from anyone, yesterday he stood up against Baron Davis AND Richardson. Knock 'em out the box, Mavs.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I dare say we haven't seen this kind of toughness from the Mavs since Antoine Walker ponied up to the Big Diesel.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and that was fake toughness. Antoine admitted that he hoped Shaq wouldn't kill him. You get the sense that Dirk would gladly deck somebody if necessary.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavs displaying a new toughness last night

Interesting excerpted account of the game. People have long wondered if Dirk had this kind of competitive/nasty streak in him. Interesting that this comes out after his security blanket(s) are gone.

BTW, what's the KVB moniker about?

Warriors get physical but can't corral Mavericks

The Warriors seemed to be getting fed up with Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki. First, Davis challenged Nowitzki early in the third quarter. After the two got tangled up on the low block, Davis chided Nowitzki and gave him a couple of aggressive pats to the backside and chest.

Then late in the fourth quarter, with the outcome decided, Richardson went at Nowitzki for throwing the ball at Warriors forward Zarko Cabarkapa.

The Warriors had a good reason to not like Nowitzki: 29 points on 9-for-14 shooting and 10 rebounds.

Nowitzki was expected to provide offense. But Keith Van Horn's 24 points and point guard Jason Terry's 23 points and eight assists were unexpected problems for the Warriors.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

Have we already forgotten the little incident Dirk had recently with none other than KG? When he told him something along the lines of "don't try that shit with me"?

Keke, KVB is an allusion to the much-maligned Booth trade.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I checked, Dirk didn't throw the ball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

I thought I saw Dirk throw the ball, but not hard enough for anyone to care.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have we already forgotten the little incident Dirk had recently with none other than KG? When he told him something along the lines of "don't try that shit with me"?
Not to mention that F' you and the shot he gave Malone in the LA game last year after they showed the clip of Malone elbowing Nash set to music.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
I thought I saw Dirk throw the ball, but not hard enough for anyone to care.
I'm pretty sure it was whoever was directly behind Dirk... the announcers even noted that the GSW player mistakenly went after the wrong Mav....or maybe I'm getting the order of events backwards.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
MaverickFFL

MaverickFFL is on a distinguished road

Man I LOVE this new attitude!!! I'm serious, I'm tired of all these teams walking all over us and us not doing crap about it

But not now, not anymore! I LOVE THIS!!

Hey guys, quick poll

Which Maverick would you most like to see deck the hell out of someone in a game?

Mine would be either Marquis or Damp

oh man, that would rule
MaverickFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Which Maverick would you most like to see deck the hell out of someone in a game?
TAW. Seriously, though. I hope to never see that happen.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

No need to deck anyone to prove toughness. Only if the situation required.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Someone help me out because I am confused. Why are you guys referring to Keith Van Horn as KVB? What does the B stand for? I need to read more so I can understand you guys!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Someone help me out because I am confused. Why are you guys referring to Keith Van Horn as KVB? What does the B stand for? I need to read more so I can understand you guys!
Seek in the gameday thread from last night, page 2, and you will be rewarded.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Keith Van Booth.......a reference to the trade.

I take it to mean that those hard headed goofs who insist that the trade was bad are being mocked and mocked hard. Certainly, tehy deserve to be. That trade may have delivered a championship to Dallas.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #21
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Keith Van Booth.......a reference to the trade.

I take it to mean that those hard headed goofs who insist that the trade was bad are being mocked and mocked hard. Certainly, tehy deserve to be. That trade may have delivered a championship to Dallas.
Hmm, at the risk of bringing up this argument all over again, let's just wait and see when everyone's healthy....The rotations still haven't been set in stone.

The Cowboys are going to win the super bowl next year?
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hmm, at the risk of bringing up this argument all over again, let's just wait and see when everyone's healthy....The rotations still haven't been set in stone.

The Cowboys are going to win the super bowl next year?
Anyone who can't see by now that the number of initials he's sporting isn't the only thing KVB has on CB isn't going to see it. The team's better for the trade. Period. We'll have to wait and see whether he's enough of an upgrade to deliver a championship, but he's clearly an upgrade.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

There has never been a question of talent. But til Coach Nelson retired, there was always a question of how he would fit, and of whether he would be given lots of unearned and undeserved minutes and wreck team chemistry. Since he now has to EARN his playing time like everyone else, the fit has been much better.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

The fit was never poor despite the misdirected ramblings of a vocal few.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Murph, I believe the sequence of events was this.
Dirk committed the foul.
KVB kinda pushed the guy that got fouled wasn't sure what he was doing, didn't look malicious though.
The guy that got fouled through the ball back and it went to Dirk.
Dirk then trough the ball back, and Richardson did what you saw.

From memory I believe those were the events in order. Someone can confirm or blow my recollection right out of the water I guess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
There has never been a question of talent. But til Coach Nelson retired, there was always a question of how he would fit, and of whether he would be given lots of unearned and undeserved minutes and wreck team chemistry. Since he now has to EARN his playing time like everyone else, the fit has been much better.
Preach.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #27
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Preach.
Keith's averaged 24.3 minutes in Dallas, 22.3 since Avery took over. I don't really see the evidence that he's being treated differently enough to make the fit "much better" than it was. Beyond that, the team lacked a good backup for Dirk, the team lacked a big SF, the team was playing Dirk alongside a PF anyway. Keith has given the Mavs an upgrade in each of those three areas. And even if there was room for him to be used better than the way Nellie was using him, that's a long way from him being the bad fit that far too many clueless souls on this site prognosticated him to be.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
Quote:
Preach.
Keith's averaged 24.3 minutes in Dallas, 22.3 since Avery took over. I don't really see the evidence that he's being treated differently enough to make the fit "much better" than it was. Beyond that, the team lacked a good backup for Dirk, the team lacked a big SF, the team was playing Dirk alongside a PF anyway. Keith has given the Mavs an upgrade in each of those three areas. And even if there was room for him to be used better than the way Nellie was using him, that's a long way from him being the bad fit that far too many clueless souls on this site prognosticated him to be.

KVH and Dirk were closing out games under Nellie. AJ plays KVH alongside Dirk at times but not nearly as much as Nellie did. I've seen a lineup of KVH/Hendu and KVH/Bradley at times but rarely do I see Dirk and Keith in at the same time.

1996-2005
Old 03-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #29
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I thought that "B" stood for Keith Van Bang, because he "likes to bang...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Keith Van Badass
Old 03-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #31
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
KVH and Dirk were closing out games under Nellie. AJ plays KVH alongside Dirk at times but not nearly as much as Nellie did. I've seen a lineup of KVH/Hendu and KVH/Bradley at times but rarely do I see Dirk and Keith in at the same time.
Avery played Dirk and Keith together for about 4-5 minutes at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarters of the New Orleans game (going off of popcornmachine.net here). During those stretches the Mavs outscored the Hornets by a combined 17 points, give or take. Their stats are messed up for the Charlotte game and haven't been posted yet for the Warriors game, but on a quick scan of the GS game, Avery played Keith and Dirk together from about the 6 minute mark on in the first quarter, with the Mavs outscoring the Warriors by 2 points during that stretch. They also spent about 4 minutes on the floor together in the second quarter, breaking even on the scoreboard. In the third they were together for just over 1.5 minutes, stretching the lead by 4 points during their time together. They were together for about 9.5 minutes in the fourth, again stretching the lead by a couple points.

Perhaps you should watch the games a little more closely.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #32
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Three straight wins and the Van Horn camp starts puffing out their collective chests and holding up number one signs.

I'm glad KVH shot the ball well last night and I hope it continues. Avery assuming the coaching mantle makes me feel better about the trade because I no longer see the scenario of us closing playoff games with Damp on the bench while the opponent bludgeons us on the glass.

I still think the need for a backup for Dirk has been overstated and I think it's noteworthy that VH played fewer minutes in is 1st game under AJ than he played his entire time under Nellie...but hey...those that weren't enamored with he trade are notorious for misdirected ramblings.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Preach.

The team also DESPERATELY....DESPERATELY needed a 3pt shooter as well. Have you noticed the spacing that is occurring now, much better.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #34
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Avery played Dirk and Keith together for about 4-5 minutes at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarters of the New Orleans game (going off of popcornmachine.net here). During those stretches the Mavs outscored the Hornets by a combined 17 points, give or take. Their stats are messed up for the Charlotte game and haven't been posted yet for the Warriors game, but on a quick scan of the GS game, Avery played Keith and Dirk together from about the 6 minute mark on in the first quarter, with the Mavs outscoring the Warriors by 2 points during that stretch. They also spent about 4 minutes on the floor together in the second quarter, breaking even on the scoreboard. In the third they were together for just over 1.5 minutes, stretching the lead by 4 points during their time together. They were together for about 9.5 minutes in the fourth, again stretching the lead by a couple points.

Perhaps you should watch the games a little more closely.

Has AJ put both Dirk and KVH at the 4 and 5 spot in closing minutes?

1996-2005
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
In the Warriors game he went with that exact frontcourt from the 8:39 mark of the 4th (when Henderson sat down) till the 2:34 mark, when Keith sat down for good (replaced by Devin), so at the very least he's used them at the 4/5 down the stretch run.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #36
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
In the Warriors game he went with that exact frontcourt from the 8:39 mark of the 4th (when Henderson sat down) till the 2:34 mark, when Keith sat down for good (replaced by Devin), so at the very least he's used them at the 4/5 down the stretch run.
I mean in the clutch like Nellie did in the Suns game. I guess it's hard to find a game where AJ has played in KVH clutch since the Warriors game was an assault and AJ's only coached about 3 games.

1996-2005
Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #37
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Yeah, there's really just not enough data to draw too many detailed conclusions at this point, but the fact that Avery would rely on that frontcourt for important 4th quarter minutes last night does, I think, make a strong case that he sees at least some usefullness for the Dirk/KVH pairing at the 4/5.

And it's not that I think that lineup should be used all the time. I still have nightmares about last season watching teams run layup drills on us while Bradley wasted away on the bench, or watchinig the Mavs getting crushed on the boards while Fortson was stuck in the doghouse. I'm very hopeful (and optimistic) that Avery won't fall prey to those sorts of mistakes that were so characteristic of Nellie's coaching, but I also hope he doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Smaller frontcourts that present offensive matchup problems have been proven to be effective so long as whoever's calling the shots doesn't forget that bigger, less talented players can be the better choice in many instances.

I'll tell you what I'm actually looking forward to seeing is the Damp/Dirk/KVH trio. I have a hunch that one could be quite effective. Bradley floats around in the 12-18 foot range more than Damp, but I'd wager we'll really start to see the value of Keith's ability to stretch the defense when we can get him minutes alongside a legit interior wreaker of havoc.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #38
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Johnson is coaching tough

Team working hard to erase image that it's too soft

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A common criticism of the Mavericks is that they're too soft to go far in the playoffs.

It's just another perception that Avery Johnson has set out to change now that he's the head coach.

In Thursday night's game against Sacramento, Dirk Nowitzki was called for a flagrant foul late in the first half when he knocked Kings forward Kenny Thomas to the court during a layup attempt.

In the win over Golden State on Wednesday, Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Keith Van Horn were slapped with technical fouls in a physical, emotional game. Nowitzki exchanged shoves with the Warriors' Baron Davis in the third quarter and later had words with Jason Richardson.

"Right now, we're not going to back down from any team," Johnson said. "We don't have to get thrown out of the game. But I want my players to hold their ground in these situations."

Six of the 12 technical fouls in Wednesday's game came in the third quarter. It's no coincidence that spirited effort came after the half, when Johnson told his players their defense was unacceptable.

Johnson was upset that the Mavericks gave up so many points (50) in the paint against the Warriors. But only 18 of those points came in the second half.

"I mean, we have to toughen up," Nowitzki said. "We all know that.

"Teams still think we're soft in the paint, especially with Damp [center Erick Dampier] out. We have to come out and be a factor in the paint and be strong and physical down there."

Another first: It didn't take Avery Johnson long to pick up his first win as a head coach. Now he's out of the gate with something else.

His first technical.

Johnson picked up a technical in the second quarter of Wednesday's game when Marquis Daniels drove the basket, appeared to have his arms raked by a defender and nothing was called.

"It happens," Johnson said. "It was just a difference in opinion. I deserved it."

Briefly: The Mavericks' game in Cleveland on April 3 has been moved to a 2:30 p.m. tip-off. The game, originally scheduled to start at noon, will still be televised nationally by ABC. ... Rookie Devin Harris has provided quality minutes off the bench with a total of 24 points and four assists the last two games.

What is Avery Johnson looking for in the final four weeks of the regular season? "We need to find out who the five guys are who can play the best defense for us," Johnson said. "Who can get stops for us? Those are the guys who are going to be finishing games for us." When asked how many of the five he identified, Johnson responded that the only player who will be on the court for sure at the end is Dirk Nowitzki.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #39
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavericks Notes

Mavericks are toughening up

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

BOSTON - Many of the steps the Mavericks are making under Avery Johnson can be tracked on the stat sheet, such as rebounding, defensive field-goal percentage and, of course, the won-loss record.

Others are tracked by the coaching staff, including how often the team swings a ball on a possession or how late in the shot clock an opponent gets off a shot.

There isn't a stat for toughness, but Johnson has seen improvement in a quality that many have knocked the Mavs on for years.

"We made a little progress there, and you can see it in a lot of different small ways," Johnson said Tuesday after practice at Suffolk University. "You can see it when you're getting pushed. Do you retaliate or do you push back? You can see it in post defense; how physical you are down there. You can see it in hard fouls. You can see it in penetrations."

It's Dirk Nowitzki pushing back when Baron Davis throws a forearm. It's Keith Van Horn taking the ball hard to the basket. It's Josh Howard chasing Rip Hamilton around endless screens. It's Jason Terry, in the midst of a miserable shooting night, knocking down a 3-pointer in the fourth quarter.

It's beating the Detroit Pistons in their gym.

"It was impressive for us to get over the adversity within the game," said Michael Finley, referring to the 17-point lead the Mavs squandered before beating the Pistons 95-88 on Monday. "They picked up the intensity defensively, got a little aggressive, but we kept our mind-set and were able to overcome that and not back down. In a sense, it made us play even tougher."

For Johnson, another test is how players respond to him. If Johnson has shown anything in his short stint on the Mavs bench, including his time filling in for Don Nelson, is that he's demanding.

"The easiest thing for a soft guy to do is always talk back to the coach," said Johnson, 5-1 as coach. "The thing for tough guys ... is trust [the coach's] vision and still go out there and get the job done."

Johnson added that toughness isn't just battling in the paint or not backing down from a fight. He noted how many shots the Pistons were forced to take with the shot clock winding down.

"That's a form of toughness, because early in the season we couldn't sustain defense for 16 seconds," Johnson said. "We'd get bored."

But reputations are hard to change. The Mavs know that better than most.

"We have to toughen up; we all know that," said Nowitzki, the only NBA player in the top 10 in scoring and rebounding. "Teams still think we're soft in the paint, especially with [Erick Dampier] out. We've got to come out and be a factor in the paint and be strong and physical out there."

Return close

Jerry Stackhouse and Erick Dampier went through another complete practice Tuesday without setbacks. Avery Johnson said both would be re-evaluated after today's morning shootaround.

"You probably won't see them in uniform," Johnson said of tonight's game against Boston.

Johnson, as he said before the start of the four-game road trip, expects both to come off the injured list before the team returns to Dallas. The trip continues at Philadelphia on Friday and concludes Sunday at Cleveland.

Dampier has been out since Feb. 17 because of a stress fracture in his right foot, and Johnson admits to being overly cautious.

"I just keep remembering [Pau] Gasol and [Zydrunas] Ilgauskas with a similar injury to Damp," Johnson said. "I'm just a little concerned about that. Maybe I shouldn't be. But if he comes back and gives us some quality minutes, and we all can feel good about, then it was the right thing to do.

"It's just tricky with the timing trying to weave them back into the rotation with the way we're playing right now."

Stackhouse, who re-injured his groin three weeks ago, rejoined the team Tuesday after taking care of personal business in North Carolina. He finished practice with several full-court sprints.

"Obviously, my wind is not where I want it to be," Stackhouse said. "My legs feel good, and I'm not favoring my groin. The real test will come when I'm really fatigued. The only way I'll know is in a game."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote