Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Default Ledger to play The Joker in Next Batman film

Ledger to play The Joker in Batman film
LINK1
LINK2

After earning critical acclaim by portraying a gay cowboy and then a junkie, Heath Ledger has now been cast as The Joker in the next Batman movie.

After weeks of speculation, Warner Brothers Pictures has confirmed the Oscar nominee will play the comic character in the upcoming Batman film, The Dark Knight.

By playing the role of The Joker, Ledger will be following in the footsteps of actors including Jack Nicholson.

The Australian, who is based in Los Angeles, will star opposite Christian Bale, who also played the caped crusader in 2005's Batman Begins.

Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan will also return, and is set to begin production early next year.

"Chris's unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight," said Warner Bros president of production, Jeff Robinov.

"We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

Bale is on contract for three Batman films, as are Michael Caine and Gary Oldman.

It's reported Katie Holmes and Morgan Freeman will reprise their roles from Batman Begins.

Ledger earned Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for best actor for his portrayal of gay cowboy Ennis Del Mar in the acclaimed drama Brokeback Mountain.

This year he played a heroin addict in Australian Neil Armfield's acclaimed movie Candy.

His other film credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Two Hands, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

Ledger is also slated to play Bob Dylan in the upcoming Todd Haynes film, I'm Not There.

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 08-01-2006 at 10:13 AM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this.

Seems like an odd choice myself, but he's a decent enough actor.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see this AT ALL.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

it does feel a beat off or so....always liked an older actor for the Joker...but it would be interesting to see another Joker origin tale...I wonder how they will change it from "Batman"?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw the joker as younger than Batman..but rather older...Ledger is younger than Bale.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

How the HELL can he be playing Bob Dylan?!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they decide to play the joker completely different, this is a terrible terrible choice.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

I'll probably get bashed for this, but I think Johnny Depp would have made a badass joker.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I like that choice as the joker or Leonardo DiCaprico. He's a crafty little prick.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'll probably get bashed for this, but I think Johnny Depp would have made a badass joker.
I agree

Forgive my gay man crush, but I think Depp could do a bad ass "insert any character here"
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
fluid.forty.one

dicaprio is another good choice, didnt even think about him
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard time picturing it as well, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, considering how great Batman Begins was.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

bingo, thig. i'm willing to give nolan the benefit of the doubt here. batman begins was excellent, and i wasn't so sure about bale as batman/bruce wayne. but that worked out.

personally, i think it should be crispin glover. but i can kind of see ledger on the role.

also saw an article that gyllenhaal was being looked at for the role of harvey dent. so both ledger and gyllenhaal? not sure about that. the brokebat mountain jokes would be ridiculous.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-01-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, but i don't get. They had Robin Williams, who could play that role better than anybody, begging them to let him do it.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

oh my god... if they cast robin williams as the joker, there is NO WAY IN HELL i would see the movie.

the joker doesn't have to be crazy over-the-top like nicholson or the tv show. nolan is obviously going in a darker direction with his Batman movies.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #16
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I obviously wasn't focusing on the title of the thread. For some reason, I thought it said, "Legler to play the Joker..." Now that would be bad. Can you imagine Tim Legler trying to play the Joker? He is a joke though, so maybe it would work?

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no truth the rumor that Ledger negotiated in his contract to have brokeback sex with Robin.

Johnny Depp would be a great choice.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

ugh. I gave up on Ledger after Patriot Games. What he helped do to the Brothers Grimm almost caused me to give up on movies for good.

Don Cheadle (as is always the case) would have been the best choice for the role.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

The Patriot, you mean? yeah, he wasn't very good in that.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
oh my god... if they cast robin williams as the joker, there is NO WAY IN HELL i would see the movie.

the joker doesn't have to be crazy over-the-top like nicholson or the tv show. nolan is obviously going in a darker direction with his Batman movies.
I totally know what you mean...but i see it differently

when he wants to be...there are few creepier than Robin WIlliams...the man is a train wreck to be sure..he can freakin act.

when stays away from fart jokes...and goes adult...he is quite the actor.

I could see him as a chilling joker...a muderous joker....a joker I would love

Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

Is Heath going to have his australian accent when he plays the joker?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Is Heath going to have his australian accent when he plays the joker?
that would be a negative.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

he better not, but i've never heard him not talk in the accent... not even sure if he can control it.

can british/australian people talk in an american accent without a twang?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

some can.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i don't want to spend the whole movie watching robin williams. i want to watch the joker. there's no way he could play that role and have you see anything other than robin williams.

same thing happened with nicholson. that was Jack, not the joker.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
he better not, but i've never heard him not talk in the accent... not even sure if he can control it.

Um, yes? Russell Crow, for one, is a brilliant actor who has played several American roles with no problems.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #27
fluid.forty.one

Russell Crow is a much better actor than heath ledger though
Old 08-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #28
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Patriot, you mean? yeah, he wasn't very good in that.
yeah. The Patriot. Patriot Games was bad for reasons other than Heath Ledger.

I've seen Robin Williams be creepy (that movie where he worked in the photo booth). But he wasn't brilliant or anything. He pretty much played a creepy role straight, which worked. I've not seen him play sinister, which the Joker needs to be. Jack Nicolson worked because though he was still Jack, and though he was over the top, at least he was sinister.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #29
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:

Hugh Jackman.
Nicole Kidman
that dude from House
Mel Gibson

the difference is - Heath Ledger sucks.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #30
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin

the difference is - Heath Ledger sucks.

that was my point
Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #31
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big Heath Ledger fan, but like jthig and BBL my trust was earned and then some by the quality of Batman Begins, which is easily one of my top two all-time fav superhero movies along with Spiderman 2.

And just to jump on the accent bit, Kate Beckinsale does a very believable American accent in Pearl Harbor (though I prefer her British accent, which is pretty much the sexiest thing I've ever heard).

There was something else I was going to say...oh yeah, Russel Crowe is overrated.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
i don't want to spend the whole movie watching robin williams. i want to watch the joker. there's no way he could play that role and have you see anything other than robin williams.

same thing happened with nicholson. that was Jack, not the joker.
well that is certainly a subjective thing....

I tend to think he could pull it off given the right script...which I assume they will have seeing their current track record...I don't buy that Williams could not be sinister...that seems like a rather odd thing to say about a pretty good actor. "Well, he can't do sinister"

whoever it is...the Joker needs to be much darker this time around than Jack's was...

Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #33
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Heath Ledger is a talented actor, and I'm sure he will do fine in this role.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #34
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
whoever it is...the Joker needs to be much darker this time around than Jack's was...

I hope they don't attempt to do it like jack did, because the comparisons will get old faaast..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #35
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Well let's just hope that Jake Gyllenhaal doesn't play Two face or The Riddler. Could be another BM2 (Brokeback Mountain 2 and not BatMan2) in the making.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #36
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Well let's just hope that Jake Gyllenhaal doesn't play Two face or The Riddler. Could be another BM2 (Brokeback Mountain 2 and not BatMan2) in the making.
when I heard about Ledger as the Joker, I almost did a BM2.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #37
sike
The Preacha

BM2? BrokebackMountain 2?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #38
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

not saying that williams can't do sinister. we've never seen it. maybe he can do it.

but i want to see the joker, not a sinsiter robin williams in some face paint. people always rave about nicholson's performance, but that's all it was - a sinsiter jack nicholson in some face paint. it wasn't the joker.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #39
sike
The Preacha

so you are basically saying that under no circimstance could you be happy with Robin Williams as the joker...simply because he is Robin Williams...well I suppose that is a fair thing to say. But lets also be fair and say that the joker character will be determined by the writer and the director more than the actor.

I could see Ledger doing a good job at a very withdrawn and murderous joker....but not a darky funny one...just don't know if he's jot the chops...

Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #40
sike
The Preacha

Casting challenge

It will be the sixth Batman film since his 1989 return, with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney having played the role prior to Bale.

The Dark Knight is scheduled to go into production next year.

"Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless," said Memento director Nolan.

"Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Ledger's other films include The Brothers Grimm, Ned Kelly, Monster's Ball, A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5237328.stm

Tags
classic thread