Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-03-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Astros trade Wagner to Phillies

Astros trade Wagner to Phillies

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
November 3, 2003
NEW YORK (AP) -- All-Star closer Bill Wagner was traded Monday from the Houston Astros to the Philadelphia Phillies, The Associated Press learned.

Both teams called news conferences for later Monday.

While no names were immediately announced, two high-ranking major league team officials said on the condition of anonymity that the deal involved Wagner.

Philadelphia sends Houston right-hander Brandon Duckworth, minor league right-hander Taylor Buchholz and another minor leaguer, one of the officials said.

Wagner, a three-time All-Star, figures to solidify a bullpen that struggled at times last season as the Phillies competed until the final week of the season for the NL wild card but fell short.

Wagner, 32, is due to make $8 million next season, the third in a $27 million, three-year contract he agreed to in January 2002. The deal contains a $9 million team option for 2005 with a $3 million buyout.

Wagner was 1-4 with a 1.78 ERA last season and had 44 saves in a career-high 78 appearances.

He had criticized Astros owner Drayton McLane for not making a move to get another quality starting pitcher for the 2003 season and expected more of the same for next season.

``It's going to be a tape job,'' Wagner said after the season finale. ``It's not like we're going out there and getting any marquee pitchers.''

Duckworth, 27, was 4-7 with a 4.94 ERA in 18 starts and six relief appearances. Buchholz, 22, went 9-11 with a 3.55 ERA in 25 games for Double-A Reading of the Eastern League.

AP Sports Writer Rob Maaddi in Philadelphia contributed to this report

Updated on

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Astros trade Wagner to Phillies

I'm not surprised at this actually. Duckworth is a nice player in return and I need to look into the minor leaguers a bit more, but it might be a good deal for Houston as well since it gives them some salary flexibility and they get a decent return.

You hate to lose a guy like Wagner though.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the Astros do have a closer in waiting though.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I weird thing is he predicted this back in September.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
BQuinn2210

BQuinn2210 is on a distinguished road

Who is Houston's closer now? I know they have a great pullpen but will they have a good or even adaquete fill in for wagner?
BQuinn2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: BQuinn2210
Who is Houston's closer now? I know they have a great pullpen but will they have a good or even adaquete fill in for wagner?
Octovio Dotel
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 AM   #7
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Here's the reason for this rather smart move by the Astros..........

1..........Its to free up money to help throw a kings ransom at local hero Andy Pettite.

And oh yeah............believe me, he will NOT be a Yankee next season. On a TV report done by "Scoopster" Marc Berman of Fox 26 in Houston and aired on WNYW-TV Fox 5 in NYC, Pettite said that he will indeed opt out for Free Agency. He went on to say that the only thing that would keep him back in NY is loyalty, "if there is any left." The only other team he is considering is the Astros so he can play close to home. And now with the Astros clearing room and even going as far as to trade Wagner........Pettite will be impressed and should be with the offer too. And from the way it sounds from sources close to both Pettite and the Yanks, a deal with the Astros sounds like a done deal...........we'll have to wait and see.

2...........Wagner will be a Free Agent next season and most likely, the Astros wouldnt have been able to resign him. He is looking for reportedly around 9 mil, way too expensive for a closer. So trade him now, get someting for him, and let another team worry about it. Plus, despite having a career year this season, his stuff hasnt been as nasty after arm tendon surgery in 2000.........

3..........."High Octane" Octavio Dotel is now better suited for this closer position. Look for this guy to turn alot of heads with his dominating stuff, much like Wagner did in 1996 when he took over for then closer mainstay Doug Jones. Just ask the Yankees. On the night of the famous "No-No-No-No-No-No Hitter" Dotel came in for relief and struck out 4 Yanks in 1 inning. They were the likes of Soriano, Jeter, Giambi and Bernie Williams. His stuff is simply amazing and will probably be even better then Wagner was for the Astros.

As for who takes Dotel's spot at setup man, that will become Brad Lidge's duties, who looks ready for that role.

4.........."Zeke" as in 6'3 160 pound Dominican Ezequiel Astacio. Astacio's fastball has been clocked as high as 99 mph accoriding to the Phils, and he also has a sharp curveball. He's still at least two years away, but he is considered a high-ceiling talent with perhaps No. 1 starter ability.

Taylor Buchholz is interesting. He had a very bad start to his pro career, but after a trip to Reading, he has now found a a new dangerous curveball and change-up. In the minors, he has no become a consistent pitcher. It will be interesting to see if the same will happen in the majors. Like the Hampton deal in 99' where Octavio Dotel was the key, Buchholz's success will be the key to this deal. For he has No. 1 starter stuff written on him too

I'm not so high on Duckworth though. At best, he has 3 starter ability. To me, the Astros should have gotten either one of the other bright young Philly pitching prospects, either Cole Hamels or Gavin Floyd.

All in all, the Astros came out pretty good on this deal............that is if they land Pettite which I expect to happen.

BTW...........Look for the Astros to deal away Richard Hidalgo, who is due 12 mill. in a salary dump move to free up more money for more possible free agnet signings and to make way for prospect Jason Lane.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

NYC..I would like to see Pettitte back in Texas. He could legitimately make a run at the 300 win mark by the end of his career. He's only 31 I believe with around 149 wins or so. Obviously, he needs to have some great years strung back to back to back to back and so forth..but, he's a lefty with a good arm. He could be around for another decade.

As for Dotel...He's honestly the relef pitcher that I enjoy watching pitch the most in MLB
Old 11-05-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

It makes sense if the Astros get Petitte otherwise this trade is all about money.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 AM   #10
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Regarding Pettite to the Astros..........

Word up here in the Rotten Apple is that Pettite's decision will not depend on money but rather what's best for him. The only thing that will keep hm in Yankee pinstripes is his loyalty to the team.

But, his family is now putting pressure on him to sign with the Astros in order to stay close to home. According to Pettite, his family will play a major role in his decision. As if that wasent enough, Pettite who is known for being very religious, has already struck up good vibes between himself and Astors owner Drayton McClain who is also very religious himself. According to Fox TV reports in Houston that surfaced again here on Fox 5 in NYC, McClain considers Pettite to be the ideal role model athlete for his team and said he will throw out the best offer he can to reel him in yesterday after learning Pettite had become a free agent.

So all signs point to Pettite going to the Astros, which wouldbe great for them. He is probably the second best lefty in all of baseball and probably will continue to be so for the rest of the decade. Combine him with Oswalt, Miller.................and you know have one of the best young 1-2-3 staffs in all of baseball. The 4-5 spots could be filled by equaly dominant Carlos Hernandez (if and when he is healthy) and Redding. And with that still unshakeable bullpen even after Wagner's departure backing things up for the starters....................very scary.

The state of Texas could finally be hosting its first World Series game if all of this comes to pass...........