Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future
Default Roy Williams

Does he just have an instinct on hitting the quarterback? it seems like people have gotten in on blitzes in the past but everytime he gets through he manages to nail the qb, sack or no sack. haven't gotten to watch any games except the monday night game but he's on the highlights every week for one hit or another. what makes him so effective on the blitz? surely teams are expecting it by now.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Roy Williams

Roy Williams oozes badass. I don't think other teams can stop him even though they know he is coming. Some guys are just like that.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the key to williams being able to blitz the QB with such frequency has been the corner play..you can't blitz the safeties if the corners aren't doing a damn good job of locking up their men
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Roy Williams

It's not just quarterbacks, it's anyone with the ball. He's get caught in traffic sometimes like everyone else. The thing is, when he gets there it's like getting hit by a ton of bricks. For gods sake, he laid out Woody Sunday! When you get hit like Roy Williams, it's like it does something to your insides.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:26 AM   #5
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

See if Dallas opponents stop throwing the ball over the middle for fear of losing their receivers to a crippling Roy Williams hit.....
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:43 AM   #6
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

If Roy hits you, you go down. Simple as that. Plus he is a heavy hitter. I believe I read he hurt 4 people on Sunday with his hits: Ramsey, C. Morton, Cartwright, and Darren Woodson. It seems like just about every week he hurts someone out there. If you are a receiver, Dallas isn't your favorite team to play against. You don't want to go across the middle with Roy and Woodson and to add to that you are being covered by Terrance Newman who may be one of the better CB's by the end of the year.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #7
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Roy Williams only in his second year in the NFL will defintely be elected to go to Hawaii this year. I have heard several announcer's say he is the hardest hitting safety in the NFL currently. I would hate to be any WR trying to catch a high pass thrown across the middle between him and Woody.

I mean it's crazy; this player already has his own show the Roy Williams Show on 1190.

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

If he could improve his pass coverage, he'd be another Ronnie Lott.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #9
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
If he could improve his pass coverage, he'd be another Ronnie Lott.
Wow. Nice comparison. I think he will do just that kiki. He's already showing he is a competent coverage guy. There is room to improve sure, but I think he is well on his way towards that.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I haven't gotten to see Williams play but 4-5 times. For some reason they think I'd rather see Giants and Jets games up here.

Everytime I've seen Williams play though, he has dealt some mighty blows, but for every major-league lick, there's also been a conspcious lapse in pass coverage.

He looks like he might weigh 225-230, which is probably close to Nguyen or Coakley, so he's basically a fourth linebacker.

But they do look like they're putting together a hurtsome secondary.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everytime I've seen Williams play though, he has dealt some mighty blows, but for every major-league lick, there's also been a conspcious lapse in pass coverage.
Mavskiki, I believe that was more the case earlier in the season... Against the Giants and Falcons, he was beaten deep repeatedly. However, he's done a much better job since.

Actually, his MO coming out of college was that he could play CB in the NFL, but could be a dominant safety.

As for pass coverage, he's getting there. He still has his lapses, but they are less and less frequent.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote