Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #1401
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Good God, it's amazing, I have seen a LOT of people genuinely think this! I'm like, how f'ing stupid are you? You don't even have to infer anything, the dialogue flat out tells you this is not the case. Yet still I see people say:

"We were right all along! The whole thing was purgatory and they died on the plane! Stupid liars!"

This is the best part of it to me. In terms of typical LOST dialogue, the explanation from Christian to Jack was just about as straightforward and clear as it could possibly be. Yet somehow people are still not understanding.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #1402
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Insanely good recap of the finale and the series (worth reading all 7 pages): http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031...387946,00.html
part 2 is up.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031...388269,00.html
Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #1403
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Part 2 of the EW recap just got posted for those of you interested:

http://bit.ly/cQ6Ucb
Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #1404
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

ha oops nikeball beat me to the punch.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #1405
XERXES
Diamond Member

That was not as good a recap as part 1. I was looking for more insight and info and less counting-hankies-needed-to-determine-how-emotional-each-reunion-was. But whatever. I'll take what I can get right now.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #1406
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post
I'm impressed w/your insight Murph.
Unfortunately, last night was the first time that I was actually caught up with everyone else. I generally wait several weeks before starting Lost so that I can knock them all out in just 3-4 days. But, the moment I saw Jack and "his son" having difficulties, it instantly made me think of the irony between that situation and the situation with his father. So, when whoever told Jack that he didn't have a son and we kinda got a glimpse as to what the whole sideways situation was, it was a logical conclusion as to what their relationship was in reality.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #1407
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #1408
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #1409
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that was awesome, nikeball. It's from Jimmy Kimmel - an alternate ending.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #1410
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! The unanswered questions:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291

Love the "Expose" reference
Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #1411
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine sent me an email this morning asking me how I felt about the LOST finale, so I wrote a response. It occurred to me that my opinion has changed quite a bit in the last few days and that it might be prudent or interesting to post it here.

When asked for a summary response that I knew was likely not going to be a back and forth conversation, this is what I said...

Quote:
You asked about the LOST finale...I wasn't sure about it at first, to be honest. The more I think on it (and rewatch the last 30 minutes) the more I think it was a really beautiful ending. I had started to feel in recent weeks that the sideways world and the consciousness transfers and rememberings were going to end up mitigating the importance of deaths and other events in the main time line, so I was really glad to see the way it turned out because it meant (and they said so directly) that everything on the island was real, and it mattered, which was satisfying.

It was nice to see at least a few get off the island, even if it wasn't much.

On the other hand, I think it's natural to feel at least a little bit deceived by the season six story telling. I think it was slightly dishonest to show us things like the island underwater, and have it all follow that detonation of jughead, but I don't begrudge them for it too badly. It's ironic really. They spent the first several years assuring people that the island was not purgatory, and then they snuck up on everyone later and created what was basically a purgatory.

A lot of people have a problem with the spiritual themes in the finale, but I liked it a lot. And unlike the BSG finale, the "divine" wasn't used to answer questions, rather, to bring about a close to the characterization the show was ultimately about. There are still some questions I would have liked to have seen answered, but they stayed true to their show and focused on the characters. I respect that.

I didn't care for Sayid/Shannon. That wasn't the love of his life and it was a cheap pretext to bring Maggie Grace back. Oh well.

Oh, and Kate was rocking that dress. Just sayin...Interesting also that she kills the MIB. After all the grief her character has taken over the years, and after she had (IMO) very greatly diminished from the core of the show as it went along, she got to shoot Flocke. I thought that was quite a coup for Kate.

My only regret is that the island itself wasn't given more of a send off. I always thought the island was the main character of the series (even when the producers were telling me otherwise)

And obviously, the whole Jack montage at the end, lying down in the same place with the eye closing...that was perfect.
And I think that's pretty close to where I'll settle on this thing when looking back on it sometime later.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #1412
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The thoughts from an anonymous Lost writer have been posted in this thread, right? I found his claim that the final scene at the church was conceived of at the same time that the pilot was written to be very interesting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #1413
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The thoughts from an anonymous Lost writer have been posted in this thread, right? I found his claim that the final scene at the church was conceived of at the same time that the pilot was written to be very interesting.
I totally buy that, although I don't buy that they had 95% of the other stuff that happened on the show in mind when the show started. Not that anyone necessarily stated otherwise.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1414
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Do you buy it, though?

I had always heard they had the final image of the show conceived a long time ago (which would be Jack, in that place, closing his eye and dying...) but I find the claim of the church to be a pretty bold one.

The flash sideways was created hand in hand with the incident and jughead bomb exploding, and it was deliberately meant to make us think, at least at first, that it was indeed a result of the bomb, with clues along the way telling us otherwise.

So to believe the church scene was pre-conceived a long time ago is to believe that they then later on cleverly melded it with the story of the Incident. Maybe...I don't know, though.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-26-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #1415
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
So to believe the church scene was pre-conceived a long time ago is to believe that they then later on cleverly melded it with the story of the Incident. Maybe...I don't know, though.
I don't think it's as difficult as you're (maybe?) implying. There are a thousand ways they could have ultimately woven this final church scene into the story, especially if it was broadly conceptualized. They settled on one, and it's their job as writers to make it cleverly fit, and I think they did a good job of that. But I also think because they are talented writers that they could have made it cleverly fit in any number of different ways, once they got to the point that they were writing the Season 6 episodes.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #1416
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone have the feeling that the takeoff at the end of the finale had a "Langoliers" feel to it?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #1417
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
Did anyone have the feeling that the takeoff at the end of the finale had a "Langoliers" feel to it?
Absolutely, and IMO just like the Langoliers, it was a coupe for entertainment with lots and lots of "holes" in the writing.

I must admit that the "holes" allowed people to interpret it as they saw fit and to fill the "holes" as they wanted to.

Either way, the series was highly entertaining.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #1418
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

let me just throw this out there...and I think I said this earlier...but I never thought that Jughead sunk the Island...Jughead would have obliterated the Island. (Or blown it into chunks away) So the Island underwater at the beginning of season 6 was confusing as all get out to me, but not because I assumed that it had sunk bc of a HBomb going off.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #1419
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
and to fill the "holes" as they wanted to.
....sweet.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #1420
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A friend of mine sent me an email this morning asking me how I felt about the LOST finale, so I wrote a response. It occurred to me that my opinion has changed quite a bit in the last few days and that it might be prudent or interesting to post it here.

When asked for a summary response that I knew was likely not going to be a back and forth conversation, this is what I said...

And I think that's pretty close to where I'll settle on this thing when looking back on it sometime later.
great recap. When my buds ask me about my feelings on the finale, my answer is, "emotionally satisfying".

I didn't love the Island story...it seemed like chewing of LOTS of time with running around back and forth and very little of anything that should be considered "good narrative", but by the end it was insanely satisfying to my very manly heart.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #1421
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't think it's as difficult as you're (maybe?) implying. There are a thousand ways they could have ultimately woven this final church scene into the story, especially if it was broadly conceptualized. They settled on one, and it's their job as writers to make it cleverly fit, and I think they did a good job of that. But I also think because they are talented writers that they could have made it cleverly fit in any number of different ways, once they got to the point that they were writing the Season 6 episodes.
I agree. They said the church scene, not the "flash sideways". That scene could have been written into the story in any way, and I would bet their original idea was probably to do it after they spent their time on the purgatory island. After all, I'm sure the name Christian Shephard was chosen just for that final scene.

Doesn't mean they planned everything from the beginning, as they always seem to claim.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #1422
sike
The Preacha

I wanted to get your opinions on something...

If it was Smokey posing as Christian Shepherd to Jack on the Island...

Who was it posing as Christian Shepherd in LA and to Michael on the freighter? (Jacob?)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #1423
LonghornDub

Quote:
I wanted to get your opinions on something...

If it was Smokey posing as Christian Shepherd to Jack on the Island...

Who was it posing as Christian Shepherd in LA and to Michael on the freighter? (Jacob?)
I had understood that smokey was Christian on the freighter. As for LA...I'm having trouble recalling when post-death Christian was in LA? Other than in the flash-forwards when I thought Jack was just hallucinating from going crazy?

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #1424
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I had understood that smokey was Christian on the freighter. As for LA...I'm having trouble recalling when post-death Christian was in LA? Other than in the flash-forwards when I thought Jack was just hallucinating from going crazy?
seems too convenient. I am under the strong impression that Smokey couldn't have gotten to the the freighter or Jack in LA.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #1425
LonghornDub

Can Jacob shapeshift?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #1426
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
seems too convenient. I am under the strong impression that Smokey couldn't have gotten to the the freighter or Jack in LA.
Well obviously he couldn't have gotten to LA. I'm pretty sure that was just supposed to be Jack going crazy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #1427
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Can Jacob shapeshift?
I think the better question is, "Can Jacob make you see things to help nudge you into your free choice?"

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #1428
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Well obviously he couldn't have gotten to LA. I'm pretty sure that was just supposed to be Jack going crazy.
I'd be surprised if somehow The Island/Jacob was involved in helping to motivated Jack that he needed to get back to the Island...that was what Christian was doing, right? Or was it just to depress him? (I honestly don't remember the specific message being delivered)

Old 05-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #1429
LonghornDub

Quote:
I think the better question is, "Can Jacob make you see things to help nudge you into your free choice?"
You just blew my mind.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #1430
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
You just blew my mind.
That'll be $100.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #1431
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I think so too. This is the one break in contiuity with the "smokey is Christian" stuff, so I think it must be Jack going off his rocker. We haven't seen evidence of Jacob changing forms. Still, I think there's an intangible "the island" entity that's been reaching out and performing deeds (Michael and Jacks inability to commit suicide) that could also explain that.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #1432
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I think there's an intangible "the island" entity that's been reaching out and performing deeds (Michael and Jacks inability to commit suicide) that could also explain that.
this is what I'm suggesting...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #1433
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
this is what I'm suggesting...
So do I owe you the $100 as well?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #1434
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So do I owe you the $100 as well?
you disgust me.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #1435
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Tell me this isn't the coolest thing you've ever heard....

Here is the story from E! Online:

Quote:
One more reason to love Michael Emerson: He just spilled the goods on an amazing surprise for any Lost fan planning to buy the final, sixth-season DVD. (And trust me, now all of you will be buying it.)

There will be more Lost. There is more to the story, and we will get to see it! Praise Jacob! Or should we say…Hurley?!

“For those people that want to pony up and buy the complete Lost series, there is a bonus feature,” Michael just told our Kevin Pereira of Attack of the Show!, which airs tonight at 7 on E!’s brother network G4. “Which is um, you could call it an epilogue. A lost scene. It’s a lot; it’s 12 or 14 minutes that opens a window onto that gap of unknown time between Hurley (Jorge Garcia) becoming number one and the end of the series.”
If that's true, then that's freaking AWESOME. Or, it should be.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #1436
LonghornDub

That is awesome. But question: the writeup says it will be on the "sixth-season DVD," but Emerson refers to buying the complete series. Would it be on both, or would you actually only get it if you buy the whole series? I'd assume the former.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #1437
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Eh...someone will put it up on some streaming site the first day it's out anyway

For the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to assume it will be available as part of the S6 DVD release by itself, as long as you buy the right collectors version or whatever. Which I will, if it indeed has MORE LOST on it.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-27-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1438
XERXES
Diamond Member

So, I'm now the proud owner of two props from this scene between Jack and Uncle Rico in the Dharma classroom from Season 5 (from a props retailer in Honolulu). I bought the periodic table of elements and an orange 12"x12" diagram of the eye that you can see on the far far right of the screen shot.

http://gallery.lost-media.com/displa...-1484-202.html

I guess I'm having a hard time "letting go."
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #1439
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES View Post
So, I'm now the proud owner of two props from this scene between Jack and Uncle Rico in the Dharma classroom from Season 5 (from a props retailer in Honolulu). I bought the periodic table of elements and an orange 12"x12" diagram of the eye that you can see on the far far right of the screen shot.

http://gallery.lost-media.com/displa...-1484-202.html

I guess I'm having a hard time "letting go."
That's a cool couple of pieces of history...how much did you fork over?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #1440
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's a cool couple of pieces of history...how much did you fork over?
check your PM brothah.