Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #41
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MAVS/RAPTORS TRADE SAID TO GO DOWN...

Everyone has pretty much covered all the points of why this trade will or will not happen but I'll chime in anyway.

It would be the first time the Mavs completed a trade where the talent in return doesn't match but I can see why they would make it.

The Mavs would have Bradley, Fortson, and Davis playing center. Not the most feared combination but it would be solid enough to keep Dirk at the pf position. It would also allow Najera to be his primary backup.

Davis is declining, but in limited minutes, I think he could be effective.

The Mavs are without a doubt confident that Walker can be our starting sf the next few years.

Delk would be shipped because they'll take their chances with Best backing Nash. Especially since we can have others bring the ball up adequately or make passes. Plus, it allows Howard to get minutes behind Finley.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:09 AM   #42
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:MAVS/RAPTORS TRADE SAID TO GO DOWN...

In a related story, Justine Timberlake and Britany Spears are in critical condition after a car accident today. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 12:09 AM   #43
KingsFan4ever

KingsFan4ever is on a distinguished road

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=1667761 here it is
KingsFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:11 AM   #44
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I found this.... Cbssportsline article on Toronto/Chicago trade. It mentions Davis going to Chicago, not Dallas.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:13 AM   #45
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Kingsfan... that is essentially the same article I posted a link to. But the Mavs are not mentioned.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #46
KingsFan4ever

KingsFan4ever is on a distinguished road

oops..I didn't even read it..assumed it mentioned both..but 4 what its worth magic announcer's did mention it....
KingsFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:21 AM   #47
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I think all we've learned definitively is that Davis is not going to be a Canadian much longer.

...and I hope Jamison and Delk are still residing in North Texas.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:40 AM   #48
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

This is not true, I refuse to believe it...there is no reasoning behind it for the Mavs...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:41 AM   #49
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Give me a break, Cuban and Nellie would never do this for the simple fact that we could get so much more for Jamison and Delk. Our management is smarter than this; no way it goes through.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:34 AM   #50
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Here´s a three way trade that would actually work ... (kinda)

Dallas trades: SG Michael Finley
SF Antawn Jamison
SF Eduardo Najera

Dallas receives: PG Alvin Williams
SF Morris Peterson
SF Jalen Rose
PF Tyson Chandler
PF Marcus Fizer
PG Jay Williams

Toronto trades: PF Antonio Davis
PG Alvin Williams
PF Jerome Williams
SF Morris Peterson

Toronto receives: SF Antawn Jamison
SF Eduardo Najera
SF Donyell Marshall

Chicago trades: SF Jalen Rose
SF Donyell Marshall
PF Tyson Chandler
PF Marcus Fizer
PF Jay Williams

Chicago receives: SG Michael Finley
PF Antonio Davis
PF Jerome Williams

Posttrade Roster:

Chandler, Bradley, Fortson
Dirk, Fizer
Walker, Mo Pete, TaW
Rose, Delk, Howard
Nash, Best, Alvin Williams, Jay Williams

No one has to break his promises (Rose not going to Canada, blah blah) and stuff on this one, still it´s not necessarily a good trade.

And - you know - George Karl reported Rasheed playing in a Mavs uni the other day ...

I´ll go with the Murph report on the trade.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #51
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Cuban scotches rumours

NBA trade rumours were flying fast and furious last night. As discussion of the possible Antonio Davis-Jalen Rose trade continued on sports radio, television and the Internet, a new scenario was thrown out.

Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison — and maybe Tony Delk — or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas.

It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question.

"Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:28 PM   #52
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

alright..now its saturday....where does all this stand now?????

Just crap or still possible?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #53
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike

Sike if there was a trade in the works, which I'm 99.999% certain there isn't, it couldn't be made official until the league offices open on Monday and the league has time to review and approve the trade.

Old 11-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Cuban scotches rumours

NBA trade rumours were flying fast and furious last night. As discussion of the possible Antonio Davis-Jalen Rose trade continued on sports radio, television and the Internet, a new scenario was thrown out.

Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison — and maybe Tony Delk — or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas.

It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question.

"Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions.
where there's smoke, there's fire.
I don't think there will be a trade, but I do believe that Cuban has at least been making inquiries.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:50 PM   #55
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike

Keep your eyes open for something to happen with Toronto and Chicago; if the only proposals are those that have already been romored involving Dallas then Dallas will not be involved.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:01 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Keep your eyes open for something to happen with Toronto and Chicago; if the only proposals are those that have already been romored involving Dallas then Dallas will not be involved.
I can agree with that.

Rose has come out and said that Paxson has informed him that he wil not be traded to Toronoto. He did not say that he would not be traded. Are the Mavs involved? I cannot see the Mavs making a move for Rose without Finley being involved.

So, I do not believe there is a trade in the works involving the Mavs. However, I do believe that the Mavs are consistently burning the phone lines trying to see what they could do if so inclined involving Jamison.

The Mavs will get a point in which they realize that they don't have to have the 5th scoring option as much as previously believed. If Bradley is consistently utilized in 20+ minutes per game, Jamison's minutes will drop because Dirk will be playing less and less center.

As that occurs, Jamison's PT and FGA will drop more than he ever expected when he accepted the 6th man role. The role won't be like what we saw out of NVE last year. Why? Because the Mavs have 5 scoring options this year instead of the four legit options they had last year. Add that up and the shots just aren't there for Jamison to consistently get his share.

Will Jamison be content with a role that might see him palying less than 20 minutes in many games but sometimes more than 35? I don't know that he wouldn't be happy, but I can definitely see why a young All-Star caliber person would be disappointed to say the least.

Right now, it's all just speculation. However, I think we can all see that Nellie favors Walker more than he does Jamison. Jamison could very well be the odd man out.

As I said before the season, this team will gel but it probably won't gel in the manner in which Nellie had in plan. I said that the Mavs would come to a point to where they realized that sacrificing the playing time of one offensive player in favor of playing a more defensive minded player would not negatively affect their offense significantly. But, it would greatly improve their defense. If Bradley gets consistent playing time, the team will be gelling without Jamison playing nearly the role that Nellie had envisioned. If Nellie is willing to go with a lineup that features more defense, it's not good news for Jamison.

We'll just have to wait and see whether or not Jamison is willing to accept the even lesser role than expected. We'll also have to wait and see how willing Nellie is to go with a slightly more defensive oriented lineup more often than what he had planned.

But, if Nellie does go with Bradley and a couple of other defensive oriented players more, Jamison could be on the trading block
Old 11-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #57
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road

"Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison — and maybe Tony Delk — or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas. It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question. "Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions." Toronto Star

thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #58
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

i could see dallas entering this deal. but we wont give much. we will give a couple of not so important players to even out salaries and get a big man from one of the teams. Marshall, Fizer, Williams
Old 11-22-2003, 11:55 PM   #59
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second the comments of the Evil One.

This trade will never happen.

And why would anyone want it to?

A 35 year old, 6'9" PF who we'd ask to play center who is a good rebounder and a pretty decent low post defender but who's shooting under 36% and, by the way, is 35?

Sure, I'll give up a high-scoring, high-flying 6'9", 27 year old star for that. Or maybe I won't....

I'd give up Danny Fortson and Travis Best to get Davis. That's about it.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah, I don't really think that many people are in favor of the proposed trade. I can see scenarios in which a trade would be necessary (no, not this trade though). However, none of those scenarios have played out at this point...not remotely.