Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Cuban's response to recent Trade Rumors involving Antonio Davis

Cavaliers reportedly trying to reach deal for Davis

11/22/03

The Cleveland Cavaliers are talking with several different teams about a trade for forward Ricky Davis, according to a Western Conference executive who didn't want to be identified.

The executive said the Portland Trail Blazers, Chicago Bulls and Toronto Raptors are the teams involved. The deal with the Trail Blazers, the executive said, would include multiple players, while a deal with Chicago or Toronto could involve Jalen Rose, but Rose wouldn't necessarily join the Cavs.

From Our Advertiser

The Associated Press reported last night that the Bulls and Raptors are involved in trade discussions that would include Rose, Antonio Davis and others. It did not report the Cavs being involved.

Last night, Ricky Davis said a possible trade was news to him.

"I haven't heard anything about a trade," Davis said. "If it's true, I wouldn't be mad because it's the nature of the business."

Rumors about trading Davis began before the season started. Critics figured Davis would have a problem playing with LeBron James because of all of the attention James receives. It was reported on ESPN that Davis yelled at James during a game in Portland. Davis and James said that report wasn't true.

On Wednesday, Davis was taken out of the game against Washington with three minutes left in the third quarter and didn't return. Davis, who clearly was agitated by the move, said he didn't know why coach Paul Silas didn't put him back in the game. Silas said he wanted to look at some of the other players
Old 11-22-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Cavalier's Shopping Davis?

I wish the cavs good luck in their shopping as long as we're not buying.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Although Ricky Davis is a good talent, I dont see any logical reason for Dallas to get involved. It will be interesting to see what they get for him if a trade does happen to occur.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

unless its to drop contract or to facilitate a another trade.....the mavs don't need to make any move unless it brings a legitamate big into town...any else seems to be moving for moing sake...and one more time upsetting or slowing the team chemistry development...

AS FAR AS DAVIS IS CONCERNED: KEEP THAT ACT OUTTA HERE AND I'LL BE FINE!...GOOD PLAYER, BUT A LITTLE CRAZY!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cavalier's Shopping Davis?

I like Ricky Davis a lot. He's gotten a bad rap on the character issue, but that ABA style, high flyer can really, really play. He is a darned good passer, a darned good rebounder for a SF, and his full-court offensive style is creative and very fun to watch. Sure that whole triple double thing was silly, but whenever I watch him play he just seems like he is having a lot of fun on the court.

If he came to Dallas, I would bet that his transition to an established winner like the Mavs would be very positive in terms of his attitude, and his playing style would absolutely, absolutely flourish in a Nelson style offense. I have really liked what I have seen from Howard and Daniels this year, and of course I will always be a Finley fan, but I just have a funny feeling that if Ricky ever came to Dallas he would look like a younger more athletic Latrell Sprewell, and he might cause one heckuva shooting guard controversy in this town.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Thought I´d repeat a trade Idea off another Thread (Messing around with Numbers):

Fine, after throwing out my fairly complicated but interesting trade one, another idea boggles my mind ... (much time to let things go at the moment - making technician on a play i´ve already seen like 40 times is just a manual job, no intellect needed)

Trade 2 (as usual, picks to sweeten the deal, not necessarily of importance):

Dallas trades

Antoine Walker, 2004 unprotected first rounder to New Jersey
Michael Finley, Eduardo Najera to Cleveland
2nd round pick to Utah

New Jersey trades

Aaron Williams, Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles to Dallas
Richard Jefferson to Cleveland
2nd rounder to Dallas

Cleveland trades

Chris Mihm, Darius Miles to Dallas
Ricky Davis to New Jersey
Michael Stewart to Utah
2nd rounder to Utah
1st rounder to NJ

Utah trades
2nd round pick to New Jersey

Post Trade Roster:

Dallas

C - Mihm, Bradley, Forston
PF - Nowitzki, Martin, Aaron Williams
SF - Jamison, Miles, TaW
SG - Delk, Kittles, Howard
PG - Nash, Best, Daniels

New Jersey

C - Mourning, Collins
PF - Walker, Rogers, Scalabrine
SF - Ricky Davis, Brown
SG - Harris, Armstrong, Slay
PG - Kidd, Pack, Planicic

Cleveland

C - Ilgauskas, Diop, Sundov
PF - Boozer, Najera
SF - Jefferson, Kapono, Newble
SG - Finley, Wagner, Bremer
PG - LeBron James, Ollie

Utah just adds Michael Stewart

Of course, a trade like this won´t happen. Still, I think thats a win-win-win trade - at least to some degree.

Dallas would trade Walker/Finley/Najera for Martin/Miles/Mihm/Kittles/A.Williams.

This means Dallas has to drop either Stefansson or Daniels, but adding Martin/Miles/Mihm would give us raw depth and some complementary skills, Kittles and Williams are solid and battle-proven veterans.

Not sure if a 10-guy rotation of Dirk (maybe back at C), Nash, Jamison, Martin, Delk, Kittles, Best, Miles, Williams and one out of Mihm / Bradley / Fortson would be better than our current squad, but it would be for sure deep as hell. One out of Howard, TaW, Daniels beeing on the active roster for the odd biggie ...

Why Cleveland would do it. That´s easy.

Miles and Ricky Davis are nice players, but they are not the Veterans to give LeBron enough time to mature. Finley + Jefferson is more than equal value, if you want to build around LeBron, Dajuan and Z. Losing Mihm hurts, but getting Najera adds some hustle on the weak PF slot.

Why would NJ do it?

On the brink of losing Kenyon Martin to Free Agency, getting Antoine Walker and Ricky Davis in return sounds like fun, though giving up Richard Jefferson really hurts. The first rounder could help getting help at SG if the current squad doesn´t succeed.

Utah gets a high salary big body and 2 2nd rounders for one, basically taking the salary
Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 AM   #7
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

ESPN just said that Ricky Davis will be inactive for tomorrow nights Cavs game. Cavs listed official reason for Inactivating Davis as "unspecified". A deal is probably done already.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:55 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ESPN just said that Ricky Davis will be inactive for tomorrow nights Cavs game. Cavs listed official reason for Inactivating Davis as "unspecified". A deal is probably done already.
Cavs' Silas benches Davis for a few days

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
November 24, 2003

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Cavaliers guard Ricky Davis has been benched for a few days by coach Paul Silas, who won't say why his player is in trouble again.

Davis, who has a history of clashes with Silas dating to their time together in Charlotte, was not allowed to practice with the Cavaliers on Monday and will not accompany the team on their trip to play at New Orleans on Wednesday.

Silas refused to give any specifics on his reasons for punishing Davis, who is averaging 15.3 points.

``That's my decision,'' Silas said. ``We're dealing with some issues. That's all I have to say. I've dealt with issues before with guys and we'll deal with these and move on.''

Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson was equally vague in explaining why the team was disciplining Davis -- and reserve forward Michael Stewart -- and keeping them away from the team for the next three days.

Paxson said the players have not been suspended, and he would not comment when asked if they had been fined.

``They're not with the team right now,'' Paxson said. ``They're not with the team for practice and through the game in New Orleans.''

While Davis' situation was unclear, the Cavs suspended forward Ira Newble one game for his profanity-laced argument with Silas following the Cavaliers' loss on Saturday night in Atlanta.

Newble and Silas began arguing in the coach's office and had it spill out into the hallway after the 6-foot-7 forward stormed out and slammed the door.

Newble, who signed with the Cavaliers as a free agent in the offseason after playing with the Hawks, apologized to Silas and his teammates before Monday's practice.

``I was wrong,'' he said. ``I felt like I was out of line, but we're all frustrated right now -- we're 4-10. The main thing right now is that we have to stay together.''

Newble said Silas' punishment was fair.

``It's just. He has to make a stand,'' Newble said. ``I disrespected his authority, but we're going to put it behind us.''

Silas, who is in his first season with Cleveland, said he and Newble have patched things up.

``It was the heat of the moment. It happens,'' Silas said.

He may not be as forgiving with Davis.

On Saturday night, Silas benched Davis for the final 11 minutes as the Cavaliers lost their 29th straight road game. It was the second time in three games that Silas has sat Davis for an extended period.

The benching came amid speculation that the Cavaliers are attempting to trade the five-year veteran, who still has five years left on a six-year, $34 million deal he signed before last season.

Paxson dismissed any deals for Davis as rumor.

``If I was trying to trade him, he'd be traded,'' he said. ``If we could improve our team, we would trade anybody. You are not doing your job unless you're pursuing opportunities with any of your players.''

Silas, hired by the Cavaliers in June to help turn around a young team that went 17-65 last season, said discipline is part of building a winner.

``When you have situations, you deal with them,'' he said. ``That's what I've always done and that's what I'll always do. You make decisions and you live with them -- right or wrong.''
Old 11-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2

I like Ricky Davis a lot. He's gotten a bad rap on the character issue, but that ABA style, high flyer can really, really play. He is a darned good passer, a darned good rebounder for a SF, and his full-court offensive style is creative and very fun to watch. Sure that whole triple double thing was silly, but whenever I watch him play he just seems like he is having a lot of fun on the court.

If he came to Dallas, I would bet that his transition to an established winner like the Mavs would be very positive in terms of his attitude, and his playing style would absolutely, absolutely flourish in a Nelson style offense. I have really liked what I have seen from Howard and Daniels this year, and of course I will always be a Finley fan, but I just have a funny feeling that if Ricky ever came to Dallas he would look like a younger more athletic Latrell Sprewell, and he might cause one heckuva shooting guard controversy in this town.

You are really overrating Davis here. He is a high flyer. I give him that but high flying isn't going to get this team any closer to a championship then a jump shot.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Davis is not a shooter by ne means. Hes is a decent passer. He plays though D and can board decently. i think hes overrated.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I just think at this point if there aren't any trades that are going to get us a big man in here it is meaningless. We can trade Fin for Jalen Rose or Ricky Davis but it still doesn't get us any further to championship so it's meaningless.

1996-2005
Old 11-27-2003, 11:14 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but if we can bring in another talented 2-3 for next to nothing- particularly when Finley's age is going to become more and more of an issue over the next couple of years- why not?

I wouldn't advocate giving up a whole lot to get him, but if we could send off one or two lesser talents to pick the guy up, I just don't see the downside. Sure, he needs to improve his jumpshot, but then again most young 2-3's in the league are in that same boat. A lot of folks have been down on Corey Maggette for the last couple of years, but all of a sudden he can hit a jumper, and he is not a threat to score 20-30 on any given night. I think Ricky has similar potential, and he would have a real chance to shine playing in our style of offense.

As I said, I wouldn't want to give up much to get him, but if we could send a lesser package of talent to aquire him (any combination of Delk, Najera, draft picks, money, etc...), I think he could be a really talented steal for us.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, but if we can bring in another talented 2-3 for next to nothing- particularly when Finley's age is going to become more and more of an issue over the next couple of years- why not?

I wouldn't advocate giving up a whole lot to get him, but if we could send off one or two lesser talents to pick the guy up, I just don't see the downside. Sure, he needs to improve his jumpshot, but then again most young 2-3's in the league are in that same boat. A lot of folks have been down on Corey Maggette for the last couple of years, but all of a sudden he can hit a jumper, and he is not a threat to score 20-30 on any given night. I think Ricky has similar potential, and he would have a real chance to shine playing in our style of offense.

As I said, I wouldn't want to give up much to get him, but if we could send a lesser package of talent to aquire him (any combination of Delk, Najera, draft picks, money, etc...), I think he could be a really talented steal for us.

Talents there. No doubt. I'm not worried about the talent I just don't believe he fits on this Mavs team. You have young guys like Howard and Daniels who you could be giving pt at the 2 position. Ricky Davis' mindset is still immature. I still have in my head last season when he intentionally missed a layup to have a triple double. Did you see that when Nash was a board away from getting a triple double? He brings that high flying ability to our team but thats it. I don't think thats our main weakness.

1996-2005
Old 11-28-2003, 10:35 AM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

Talents there. No doubt. I'm not worried about the talent I just don't believe he fits on this Mavs team. You have young guys like Howard and Daniels who you could be giving pt at the 2 position. Ricky Davis' mindset is still immature. I still have in my head last season when he intentionally missed a layup to have a triple double. Did you see that when Nash was a board away from getting a triple double? He brings that high flying ability to our team but thats it. I don't think thats our main weakness.
Nellie is committed to spreading the floor out on the 3 pt arc to open up driving lanes for scoring in the paint or kicking out to a shooter. Maybe Davis would be a more effective guy driving the ball to the basket? That would give us another option other than Nash (who excels in that) or Antoine (who is improving in that).
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Talents there. No doubt. I'm not worried about the talent I just don't believe he fits on this Mavs team. You have young guys like Howard and Daniels who you could be giving pt at the 2 position. Ricky Davis' mindset is still immature. I still have in my head last season when he intentionally missed a layup to have a triple double. Did you see that when Nash was a board away from getting a triple double? He brings that high flying ability to our team but thats it. I don't think thats our main weakness.[/quote]

good solid points on RDavis...why take him on...we've already go JHo...does not seem to make any real life sense on the Mavs side!
like all we need is a cry baby on this team![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote