Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-24-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough
Default Finley for Van Exel

This would be a great trade for both teams.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Finley for Van Exel

Oh lord Craptain....not again!
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Finley for Van Exel

i dont know what to say here...im just gonna be quiet
Old 11-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
i dont know what to say here...im just gonna be quiet
hahahaha...I feel your pain.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Jamisonite
Golden Member

simply put my friend...if GS wanted this in any sort of way...we wouldve shipped Fin to em in the first place...they already have J Rich at the 2 and Dunleavy at the 3.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

LOL. Good one Captain Disaster. SLOL.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

As everyone snickers & smirks, think about this:

1. Van Exel hasn't played much & hasn't been that inspired so far.
2. Finley has an INSANE contract that will only seem worse over time as he ages.
3. Quality point guards are RARE.
4. What if Nash goes down? Everyone keeps talking about Dirk, Fin, Walker, Jamison; Nash is our MVP.
5. The reason we trade Fin is to get from under his contract while he is still valuable; he is no longer a critical piece. Other players can give us what we get from him for far less money. Best and/or Delk do not replace Nash.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I think...head...going to...explode.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #9
Captain Disaster

Your head has definitely exploded.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 PM   #10
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Good trade actually. Then let's trade Nash for Avery, Dirk for Dampier and Mills and Twan for J Rich and Claxton.
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:36 PM   #11
Captain Disaster

This is a ridiculous analogy; Van Exel is one of the best point guards in the league.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:13 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

NVE is sort of a tweener. He's as much shooting guard as PG. Our offense suffered when Nash was out and NVE was here. Best isn't the answer, but but in Howard, Daniels, or Delk along with Walker and well'll be fine. Actually we'll be a hell of a lot better than having to get NVE time with Nash, can we all say SMALL BALL, so he'll be happy with PT. NVE would most likely fill Fin's place at starting SG, and I don't want to contemplate that.

This is by vary one of the stoopidest trade idea's that I've every heard. I honestly thought it was a joke. Maybe we can trade Dirk to Utah for Ostertag because we need another center while we're at it.

If we need a servicable PG we can always pick one up. And we don't need to worry about Fin's contract because even without it, we'll most likely be over the cap. Since we're over anyways all we're talking about is more money that Mark has to pay, not less talent. Cubes is not about to trade away talent just to save some money.

[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 10:47 PM   #13
bogey
Banned

Sadly....he's being serious. What a shame.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #14
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

someone got a little happy with the emoticons...
if we need a point guard, how about we trade Bradley for Boykins. oh wait, then we need a center, how about Jamison for Stepania?

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #15
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I would do it in a heartbeat. I can't sleep at night from the guilt of stealing away Jamison from the Warriors. Hopefully, this will clear my conscience.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 PM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
This pretty much describe the content of this thread.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:18 PM   #17
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
This is a ridiculous analogy; Van Exel is one of the best point guards in the league.
No whats ridiculous is the fact that you think GS would do this. They already have J Rich at the 2 and he is a rising star and i believe they just drafted a kid with tremendous upside in Mickael Pietrus. And Dunleavy is clearly their 3 of the future. SO FINLEY FITS IN NO WHERE
Old 11-24-2003, 11:18 PM   #18
bogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
This pretty much describe the content of this thread.
The Nash waxes poetic! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Repeat after me...

Small Ball.

If this trade went through, NVE wouldn't be Nash's backup. He'd be playing alongside Nash once again.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #20
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:28 AM   #21
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
someone got a little happy with the emoticons...
if we need a point guard, how about we trade Bradley for Boykins. oh wait, then we need a center, how about Jamison for Stepania?
Fuzz you forget our coach, Bradley for Boykins because we need a center. Can't you just see Big Earl intimidating people as he close down the lane. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 12:35 AM   #22
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

A very ancient and wise poster and I once rationalized playing tony delk at center. I guess those reasons work here too.
If all else fails, boykins can slow down an opposing center by grabbing onto his leg and forcing the opponent to drag him around the court.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:43 AM   #23
LRB
Guru

Quote:
If all else fails, boykins can slow down an opposing center by grabbing onto his leg and forcing the opponent to drag him around the court.
Too bad we don't have Jeff Van Gundy as coach, he seems to have mastered that technique. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 02:06 AM   #24
Captain Disaster

This is by vary one of the stoopidest trade idea's that I've every heard.

Great quote.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 AM   #25
Captain Disaster

Quote:
Quote:
No whats ridiculous is the fact that you think GS would do this. They already have J Rich at the 2 and he is a rising star and i believe they just drafted a kid with tremendous upside in Mickael Pietrus. And Dunleavy is clearly their 3 of the future. SO FINLEY FITS IN NO WHERE

AND WHERE DOES VAN EXEL FIT ON THEIR TEAM? Have you even seen any of the games he's played? He looks disinterested at best. Where does $13 million per year FInley fit on this team? Especially if he's shooting worse than Walker?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 AM   #26
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Dear lord, .. is this a serious proposition, or the product of a trollish thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:12 AM   #27
bogey
Banned

I don't know if he means to troll, but rather portrays a lack of general basketball understanding, either by intent or ignorant bliss.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:12 AM   #28
Captain Disaster

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Don't epitomize your own quote.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:14 AM   #29
Captain Disaster

"I don't know if he means to troll, but rather portrays a lack of general basketball understanding, either by intent or ignorant bliss."

What's your excuse? Or maybe you can just sit back "above the fray" and insult rather than engage.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:15 AM   #30
LRB
Guru

I say definitely not troll. Even if I think the idea is ridiculous, I still enjoyed the thread.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:22 AM   #31
Captain Disaster

Quote:
Quote:

No what's ridiculous is Finley's contract. If he regains his form from last year (or the year before that) fine, BUT if he doesn't, we have a SG-SF with a HUGE contract who no one wants because his position is the easiest to replace, AND, when we have to sign Nash at the end of the year, who's going to go? Can Cuban have FIVE mega contracts on this team?

The great thing about this site is how everyone is here to talk basketball rather than insult, belittle, & offend anyone who is here to discuss. Does it really matter what your basketball IQ is? There are too many people here who are too quick to criticize; this is the real reason people don't want to post here.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:27 AM   #32
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Can Cuban have FIVE mega contracts on this team?
Well if four mega contracts put us over the salary cap, then the 5th has no effect on our flexibility. So it's a simple matter of can Cubes afford it. And the answer to that multi-million dollar question is an emphatic yes. Cubes can afford it and has shown a consistent willingingness to afford it.

Also it's way too soon to write off Fin. This team is still trying to jell and few players on this team have been asked to scale back their game as much as he has.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:27 AM   #33
bogey
Banned

Hey Craptain...there is nothing to discuss here. It is so rediculously and monumentally laughable that it merits no analytical attempts.

You are being laughed at severely and the funny thing is that you don't even realize it.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:39 AM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Don't epitomize your own quote.
It is rediculous trade propositions such as the one you have based this entire "thread" ( thread may be an overstatement ) on in which command such quotes as the one currently placed upon my signature to have been written.

Although, I do understand how you can claim I may be epitomizing such a quote considering that by even responding to such foolish notions only mirrors the ignorance of basketball knowledge in which the "thread" is derived.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:32 AM   #35
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

The reason GS wanted NVE and not Finley was because they didn't want a long term max contract. Do you think they actually thought NVE was better than Jamison? They didn't want Jamison's contract thats the reason they shipped him out.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 AM   #36
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the capin' is proving that he is an unabashed NVE lover....how sad, the guy is gone.....let him go....let him go....let him go.....you are now getting sleepy....sleepy...sleepy......let him go.....and quit bringing him up in trades......

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Finley's stepping in to his role quite nicely now. For the most part, he's playing solid defense and is finding his rhythm offensively.

Why would the mavs trade a pretty decent defender in exchange for a guy that would have difficulty guarding half the PG's that have played at Tarleton State over the past two decades?

I can understand that you'd want the insurance policy at the PG spot. However, that is not how Nellie would use NVE. We'd have starting lineups with Nash, Delk, NVE, Toine and Dirk.

Does anyone seriously want that?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #38
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

only the person who started this thead....the Capin'.....of disaster....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-25-2003, 02:18 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

double post

Old 11-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #40
LRB
Guru

And Finely did a great job of making all those ideas of trading him away for trash like NVE look very foolish.