Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #2001
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MFollowill Lastly from Cubes 2day, didnt wanna give up multiple 1sts in Jefferson trade. Doesnt think they r done adding to roster, still "exploring"
Quote:

realtuffjuice Wow worked out on the beach at home today that was crazy. I'm so focused....
Hmm....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #2002
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

The FO has to choose the path it wants for this team. Look at our moves this season, we've traded Damp for Chandler and Ajinca. We got Dominique Jones. Hopefully we sign Jeremy Lin. This is a team that has lost in the First round 3 times in the last 4 years. Is this really the best we can do? I'm being very patient because I'm hoping the FO sees this the same way many fans see it. Dirk needs All-star caliber players next to him if they expect to win a championship. It's as simple as that. Butler is a fine player to me, and he will be better this season. But he is not a true SG.

If he plays at his natural position at the SF spot, we will get the most out of him. Especially, since it seems like he's been working very hard this summer. Right now this teams best players in my eyes are Dirk, Butler, and Roddy. This is not good enough to win a championship. There are tons of one dimensional players on this team : Marion, Barea, Jet, Haywood, Chandler, Stevenson. We rave about Kidd but sometimes it seems all he's doing is passing the ball off to Dirk and running into a corner. I wonder if he's not being aggressive, but exactly how aggressive can a PG his age be?

We're not going to win a championship unless some major changes are made. And if these changes can't be made then Dirk should be traded to a contender. No, I don't want to see Dirk go, but he's 32 years old. He only has a few more good years left in him. He shouldn't be spending these last years playing for a mediocre team. It's rather Cubes and Donnie make this team elite again, or they trade Dirk. It's very simple, you just can't have your cake and eat it. And before you try and spin my words around: I personally do not want Dirk Traded. Dirk has been very loyal to this team throughout the years, he should be rewarded with at least a chance of getting to the WCF or the Finals again. But if the FO can't put quality players around him then he should be traded to a contender. Simple as that.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2003
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Given that Dojo looked good with the rock and played vs. Wall and Booby has kind of struggled as the point man, would it make sense to flip roles? Making Booby a point is sort of like making JET the point. I suppose it can be broken in but they both have more of a 2's mentality and natural instinct even though the guys have a 1's size...

Kidd/JJB/Dojo
Roddy/JET/DeShawn
Marion/Butler
Dirk/Amundson!/Smith!
Wood/Chandler/Mahinimi/Ajinca

I'm hoping we trade Ajinca for a backup for Dirk and plug in Lin as #15.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #2004
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Given that Dojo looked good with the rock and played vs. Wall and Booby has kind of struggled as the point man, would it make sense to flip roles? Making Booby a point is sort of like making JET the point. I suppose it can be broken in but they both have more of a 2's mentality and natural instinct even though the guys have a 1's size...

Kidd/JJB/Dojo
Roddy/JET/DeShawn
Marion/Butler
Dirk/Amundson!/Smith!
Wood/Chandler/Mahinimi/Ajinca

I'm hoping we trade Ajinca for a backup for Dirk and plug in Lin as #15.
It's something to think about, but the bigger question is will RC let Jones get off the bench?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #2005
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

gimme iguodala or gimme a 2011 lockout!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #2006
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So where do we stand on roster space right now? I'm counting 13, with rumors of Ajinca wanting to be traded.

In no particular order:

1 Dirk
2 Kidd
3 Caron
4 Marion
5 Haywood
6 Chander
7 Beaubois
8 Jones
9 Terry
10 Stevenson
11 Barea
12 Mahinmi
13 Ajinca

That leaves two roster spots open (three if we trade Ajinca without taking anyone back). Seems like Jeremy Lin may have earned one of them; the other, I think it has to go to a backup PF. The backcourt is pretty crowded (I count 7 guards including Lin), we're 3-4 deep at Center, we have Caron & Marion at SF...but only Dirk at PF.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #2007
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
So where do we stand on roster space right now? I'm counting 13, with rumors of Ajinca wanting to be traded.

In no particular order:

1 Dirk
2 Kidd
3 Caron
4 Marion
5 Haywood
6 Chander
7 Beaubois
8 Jones
9 Terry
10 Stevenson
11 Barea
12 Mahinmi
13 Ajinca

That leaves two roster spots open (three if we trade Ajinca without taking anyone back). Seems like Jeremy Lin may have earned one of them; the other, I think it has to go to a backup PF. The backcourt is pretty crowded (I count 7 guards including Lin), we're 3-4 deep at Center, we have Caron & Marion at SF...but only Dirk at PF.
Agree we need another PF player.Question is only who will come to us!!!Harrington he was good idea but he goes to Denver.It's sad

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #2008
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Any news on Tim Thomas? Does he plan on coming back to the NBA?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #2009
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I don't think so if Tim comeing back to NBA.He was great player.
2009.12.20.Cavaliers vs. Mavericks it was his the best match for Mavericks

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #2010
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
<snip> I'm being very patient because I'm hoping the FO sees this the same way many fans see it. Dirk needs All-star caliber players next to him if they expect to win a championship. It's as simple as that. <snip>
I think this is the biggest problem with fans in general. They think adding an All-star player will win a championship, and it is that simple.

Fin, Nash -- all-stars
Howard was an all star once.
Kidd - multiple time all-star
Marion - all-star
Butler -all-star

Gasol - was only a one time all star before the LAL. (Yet he was exactly what LAL needed to put them over the top)

It takes more than All-star status -- it takes putting the right combination of players together.

IMO, it takes a shooter, slasher, and inside force. Celtics had that in Allen, Pierce, and KG. Kobe serves both shooter/slasher roles, and Pau the inside force, etc.

Dallas, IMO has the shooter(s), and a crazy mix of slasher/inside force setup. It has been good, but not good enough.

This is why Dallas made the Haywood/Chandler change -- they can be an inside force as long as they aren't doubled or expected to do it on their own - and lets face it Dirk is the one who will be doubled.

Dallas has good leadership and outside shooting in Kidd.

Slashing was suppose to be provided by Butler, but Roddy seemed to do more of it. Hence the drafting of DoJo.

Marion is the clean up guy - cleaning the glass and a few high handoffs. He is also surprisingly good inside, and needs more chances there (needs to finish more in there).

Dallas is close, but getting more inside points out of a SF or C would surely help. Where is Mark Aguirre when you need him? So Chandler/Haywood to help both play D and score some on the inside Dallas now has.

Dallas could have done it with a SG as well, as long as he could shoot and slash, IMO.

Right now, Roddy may be the best idea with Kidd, but some teams will exploit the size of Roddy on "d", IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #2011
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I think this is the biggest problem with fans in general. They think adding an All-star player will win a championship, and it is that simple.
I obviously realize it will take more than just adding an All-Star caliber player to win. I don't know maybe I'm wrong for being tired of seeing Dirk being overplayed, and being double and triple teamed. When teams sell out to defend Dirk more times than not our role players can't step up. And why is that? Because they're role players. There is only so much they can do. Some nights they will come through, other nights we'll have nothing to write home about. We need a consistent Robin to be Dirk's Batman. To me Dirk is a #1 option, but Butler is a #3 Option.

I don't think it's wise to expect a 2nd year player in Roddy to suddenly become Dirk's robin. The team must improve simple as that. I know folks will disagree and that's fine but it'll be the same thing all over again if we can't get some better players on board. It'll be Dirk trying once again to carry this team on his back, and not being able to get enough help. The refs will undoubtedly allow the other team to play him super physical, Kidd and Co will be bricking jumpers and non existent, and the team will lose. Is that really what you want to see? Because as this team is constructed that's where were headed.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #2012
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It'll be Dirk trying once again to carry this team on his back, and not being able to get enough help. The refs will undoubtedly allow the other team to play him super physical,
The McDyess double hand check can do no wrong!
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #2013
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I obviously realize it will take more than just adding an All-Star caliber player to win. I don't know maybe I'm wrong for being tired of seeing Dirk being overplayed, and being double and triple teamed. When teams sell out to defend Dirk more times than not our role players can't step up. And why is that? Because they're role players. There is only so much they can do. Some nights they will come through, other nights we'll have nothing to write home about. We need a consistent Robin to be Dirk's Batman. To me Dirk is a #1 option, but Butler is a #3 Option.

I don't think it's wise to expect a 2nd year player in Roddy to suddenly become Dirk's robin. The team must improve simple as that. I know folks will disagree and that's fine but it'll be the same thing all over again if we can't get some better players on board. It'll be Dirk trying once again to carry this team on his back, and not being able to get enough help. The refs will undoubtedly allow the other team to play him super physical, Kidd and Co will be bricking jumpers and non existent, and the team will lose. Is that really what you want to see? Because as this team is constructed that's where were headed.
I am not arguing the need for a Robin ---- or even a Batman if the ability to add this player arises.

I just don't think that an All-star caliber player is enough. It is going to take the "right" all-star with the team concept regarding needs.

Example - Adding another PF when you aren't weak at PF won't help - even if it is a all-star PF.

This team is really just a slasher/inside guy short of being very good, IMO.
Maybe Roddy is that guy, or maybe Butler comes on. Maybe it will take someone else.

Either way Dallas needs to have a player that will consistently make high percentage shots every time Dirk is doubled/tripled.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #2014
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
I am not arguing the need for a Robin ---- or even a Batman if the ability to add this player arises.

I just don't think that an All-star caliber player is enough. It is going to take the "right" all-star with the team concept regarding needs.

Example - Adding another PF when you aren't weak at PF won't help - even if it is a all-star PF.

This team is really just a slasher/inside guy short of being very good, IMO.
Maybe Roddy is that guy, or maybe Butler comes on. Maybe it will take someone else.

Either way Dallas needs to have a player that will consistently make high percentage shots every time Dirk is doubled/tripled.
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing, just slightly different. I agree with what you're saying about the right kind of all-star caliber player. I'm sure that you can agree with me that we need to get Dirk some help. Thing is where do we go from here? I personally feel we should make a move before training camp. If we wait to the deadline, then most likely it'll take yet another season for the new additions to get used to the team. We really don't have much time to waste anymore.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2015
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing, just slightly different. I agree with what you're saying about the right kind of all-star caliber player. I'm sure that you can agree with me that we need to get Dirk some help. Thing is where do we go from here? I personally feel we should make a move before training camp. If we wait to the deadline, then most likely it'll take yet another season for the new additions to get used to the team. We really don't have much time to waste anymore.
Agree, but what move is available?

PF -- no need.
PG -- maybe - but I doubt it unless CP3 or Deron is available.
SF -- Who is an upgrade from Marion/Butler that is available?
C -- they pretty much have upgraded it as far as I see available on the market - lets face it Dwight Howard isn't available.

This leaves SG -- let's see Joe Johnson just resigned. DWade - nope. Kobe - no. Roy no. Iggy can't shoot and I am uncertain would outplay Butler. There are a few like Martin that are great offensively, but can't play any D.

I just don't know who anymore. I asked this question many times when we had the DUST chip.

Who do we expect the FO to get?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #2016
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

As it stands I'd start Roddy at the 2, Butler at the 3. You can bring Marion, Jones/Jet, and Chandler off the bench and you can more or less consider all 3 your 6th man. I think Butler gives you much more with Dirk on the court.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #2017
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to be overly optimistic here, but I am very excited to see if Butler can return to a higher level of play than we saw from him last season.

I know these are "ifs"...

Kidd doesn't completely lose it...
Butler is at top form...
Roddy take a big step forward...
Haywood plays like he cares...

This team should be very good.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-19-2010 at 04:31 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #2018
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless Caron hasn't improved, I doubt Roddy starts at SG. I would even possibly start Jones over Roddy if Caron isn't cutting it.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #2019
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
As it stands I'd start Roddy at the 2, Butler at the 3. You can bring Marion, Jones/Jet, and Chandler off the bench and you can more or less consider all 3 your 6th man. I think Butler gives you much more with Dirk on the court.
So let Kidd guard the SG, and Roddy the PG, but reverse the roles on offense?

Can Kidd guard the Kobes, DWhistles, Ginobili, Pierces of the league at his age, and if so what about the RIPs or Allens.

It might be the best idea, as it stands, but an upgrade at SG, IMO is still the better option.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #2020
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can Kidd guard the Kobes, DWhistles, Ginobili, Pierces of the league at his age, and if so what about the RIPs or Allens.
No one can guard Kobe and DWade...but I think he can hold his own against the less dynamic 2s.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #2021
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
No one can guard Kobe and DWade...but I think he can hold his own against the less dynamic 2s.
THIS.

I never want to see Kidd trying to guard Kobe or Wade it sould be Marion that's guarding thoes guys, Marion was the main reason why Kobe and other star players didn't kill the Mavs last season.

I wouldn't mind Kidd playing an Adrian Griffin type of role and and let Roddy guard the fast PG's like Devin did when he was here, Butler should only being playing SF because he players better in the role, Dirk is Dirk and Haywood got paid so I don't know what to say about him just yet.

Last edited by Thomas86; 07-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #2022
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
So let Kidd guard the SG, and Roddy the PG, but reverse the roles on offense?

It might be the best idea, as it stands, but an upgrade at SG, IMO is still the better option.
Yep. But defensively, Kidd's going to need man the weaker wing player. He may get a go at the studs in crunch time.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #2023
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

LSMF and Dal showing us how to work a thread here. Good stuff to both you gents.

I'd like to focus a bit on the SG spot, which I believe should shape up to a Roddy vs Butler showdown.

Offensively, I think Butler and Roddy are somewhat competitive as shooting guards and and are somewhat interchangeable. Roddy has growth potential and Butler should be more adjusted so I think both should play better at the two than last year (and also get better as the year goes on). That said, I don't start them both because if JET/JJB are going to take smaller roles on the team, Butler/Beaubois have the best chance of filling their scoring void off the pine. Otherwise, JET is the defacto 6th man again as nobody off the bench will average 10+ ppg).

Defensively, Marion earns his keep as a starter as his minutes should be aligned to when guys like Kobe, Melo and Durant are on the court. As far as Butler vs Roddy, it makes more sense for Roddy to start as he can cover the scuttlebugs and helps keep us from a tiny bench which would promote the diminutive 3-PG play. If Butler were to start next to Marion, our top non-center bench guys would all be combo guards or small twos: Beaubois, JET, JJB. With Roddy starting, the backup team has more size and can play a more traditional line-up. The B-team becomes less about playing anybody that can play but teaming people who can play together. Starter-wise, with a Kidd/Roddy/Marion combo, after Marion picks up the ace, the remaining two opposing offensive players would be assigned accordingly by size and speed to Roddy/Kidd. If we're playing the Lakers, Kidd would pick up Artest and Roddy would take Blake/Fish. I'd have it like this on most nights:

PG Kidd
SG Roddy
SF Marion
PF Dirk
C Haywood
-
6th Butler
7th Chandler
8th JET
-
9-12: JJB/Dojo/DeShawn/Mahinimi depending on fouls, injuries, opponent, etc.

Come closing time, I think you run with Kidd/Roddy/Butler/Dirk/Center to generate offense (if you haven't gone small already to do so). I don't think the 6th man move is a big move for Butler actually or atleast not a strange move for the Dirk-era Mavericks. Witness:

-NVE: Ex-All Star/9-year starter, comes to Dallas at around 30 years old, firmly plugged in as 6th man by his second season and rocked that role (2002-2003).
-Van Horn sort of counts though he only played 80-odd games between two seasons for us (starting only three). He mostly started before joining Dallas (2004). He was technically a 7th man for us because of this guy....
-Stack: He made being a part-timer full-time work. Same story: ex-All Star/10-year starter, comes to Dallas at around 30-31 years old and becomes the 6th man from the get. Carried the mantle from 2004-2007.
-JET: Never an All-Star, came to Dallas earlier and started regularly but basically was converted to a 6th man in 2007 when Stack got phased out and when JET himself hit the big three-oh. He's carried it from 2007-2010.

And shoot, Cebric Ceballos was probably the cro magnon of this turnstile. Ex-All Star/joined in 1998 around 30 and became mostly a bench dude. Timmy Hardaway also gets a shout out for his bench work and for ushering in the NVE era. And Tawn! (Now I'm just looking at reference sites). So now... come on down, Caron Butler!

Here's Butler: Ex-All/Star/8-year starter, moved to Dallas and turns 31 next year. Time for the switcharoo?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #2024
dehubb

dehubb is on a distinguished road

what do you guys think of this option... we sign t-mac, trade terry for a pf/and pick if possible. we need better size for our back court. jus seems kinda weird that our starting PG is pretty much our biggest gaurd. and bfore any says butler. hes really a SF that can play SG. but i would still like amundson for dirks backup personally.
dehubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #2025
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
PG Kidd
SG Roddy
SF Marion
PF Dirk
C Haywood
-
6th Butler
7th Chandler
8th JET
-
9-12: JJB/Dojo/DeShawn/Mahinimi depending on fouls, injuries, opponent, etc.

Come closing time, I think you run with Kidd/Roddy/Butler/Dirk/Center to generate offense (if you haven't gone small already to do so). I don't think the 6th man move is a big move for Butler actually or atleast not a strange move for the Dirk-era Mavericks. Witness:
I really, really, really hope we've seen the last of Terry the closer. Seeing him log those final minutes ahead of either Roddy, Butler or Marion would drive me crazy.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #2026
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Come closing time, I think you run with Kidd/Roddy/Butler/Dirk/Center to generate offense
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I really, really, really hope we've seen the last of Terry the closer. Seeing him log those final minutes ahead of either Roddy, Butler or Marion would drive me crazy.
I just do not see it. You are saying that a PNR is going to be run with??????
-- Kidd...nope...no one will stay with him.
--Roddy.(maybe..but I doubt it) you think way too highly of him and he doesn't really distribute worth a durn.
--Butler ..no way..he hasn't show any sort of distributing abilities.
--Haywood in the post?

That lineup doesn't have a distributor on it, imo.. It'll be jet right back in the role he's been in.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #2027
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Problem with this thought.......

If I am the opposing coach, I double Dirk, out of a zone.

I don't let anything come inside, and I don't let Dirk beat me from outside.

Roddy isn't a shooter, the C isn't, Butler and Marion aren't.

So either Kidd is on, or JET is closing. Like or dislike JET -- he is still one of the best shooters in the game. Jet, Kidd, Dirk, with Chandler and I am guessing Butler will end many games, IMO.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #2028
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons that I like dojo's potential so much is that he's a guy who will pnr but turn the corner and really make someone pay.

As I've stated in multiple threads, the dirk/jet pnpop imo is done. Jet cannot attack the basket or distribute well enough while doing so to make it effective in the playoffs.

They will win a ton of games because they are both really good shooters, but it is...not...good...enough...anymore.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #2029
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
One of the reasons that I like dojo's potential so much is that he's a guy who will pnr but turn the corner and really make someone pay.

As I've stated in multiple threads, the dirk/jet pnpop imo is done. Jet cannot attack the basket or distribute well enough while doing so to make it effective in the playoffs.

They will win a ton of games because they are both really good shooters, but it is...not...good...enough...anymore.
While I agree. I don't think RC gives DoJo any burn come playoff time.

IF Roddy doesn't get the PG spot down, then expect Terry PNP for another year at least.

IF Roddy does get the PG down, then the PNR with Dirk/Roddy could be a major weapon - and DoJo coming along next year.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #2030
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like to see Barea/DoJo/Stevenson/spare/Mahinmi finishing-out a lot of games this season...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #2031
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I agree. I don't think RC gives DoJo any burn come playoff time.

IF Roddy doesn't get the PG spot down, then expect Terry PNP for another year at least.

IF Roddy does get the PG down, then the PNR with Dirk/Roddy could be a major weapon - and DoJo coming along next year.

Roddy is NOT going to get the PG position figured out to the point you're comfortable starting him and playing him majority minutes by playoff time. So Imo the only thing that will change is his overall minutes and most of them will come as SG and backup PG.

If RC had something to learn from last season, it's player development. He has to give the young guys ample playing time to learn the system and find a place and comfort zone within it. Even at the potential cost of a few games here and there.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #2032
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right, but it isn't totally outside the helm of possibility. How long did it Rajon to figure it out?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #2033
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, you say that (player development at cost of games) but you and only some people on this board are on board with that. Losing a few games might mean a playoff spot in the West. Besides, it won't look good on RC's résumé when it comes to the end of the season. So he won't necessarily do it, and I can see his side of it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #2034
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
You're probably right, but it isn't totally outside the helm of possibility. How long did it Rajon to figure it out?
About 10 years it looks like it. If you go look at Rondo's career, he's been playing in very competitive leagues for a long time. Roddy...not so much.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #2035
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
Besides, you say that (player development at cost of games) but you and only some people on this board are on board with that. Losing a few games might mean a playoff spot in the West. Besides, it won't look good on RC's résumé when it comes to the end of the season. So he won't necessarily do it, and I can see his side of it.

His resume would look better with more playoff wins. Home court advantage wasn't that much of advantage last year. The end result is the only one that matters in basketball. If you win every single regular season game but lose in the first or second round, is that better than being a 6 or 7 seed and going deep in the playoffs or winning it all? Player development and roster mgmt is a big part of what I will judge RC on this coming year.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #2036
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

The guard problem for the Mavs isn't so much the quality of the players and their individual characteristics. Only Kidd and Barea are really point guards. Butler is a small forward trying to play shooting guard and not an especially good passer. Beaubois isn't an NBA level point guard.

So you can't play Butler and Beaubois together effectively. JET and Beaubois together are t0o small. DoJo isn't going to be ready this year. Barea will be exposed if he plays heavy minutes. Stevenson is a spare.

Dallas really needs a combo guard, or a big point guard, someone that can play beside either Beaubois or Butler, while Kidd rests--at least 18-20 minutes per game. For those of you with a long enough memory, we're looking for an Eric Snow to play next to Beaubois's Allen Iverson.

Kirk Hinrich would have been good. Or someone similar.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #2037
Underdog

Good news...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki To Skip World Games, Will Be Fresh And Focused For Mavs

link

Dirk Nowitzki has decided to not participate with Team Germany in the 2010 FIBA World Championship, a tough break for his native country’s chances in international play but a boon for the Mavs – who will benefit from his focus and his freshness.

"I have signed a new contract with the Dallas Mavericks,’’ Dirk said in making the announcement. “We have a new team with new conditions and I want to set my focus on the next NBA season this summer."

We can take that “new conditions’’ mention to mean that the Mavericks probably urged Dirk to lean this way, maybe even as part of his just-signed four-year, $80-million contract … but Nowitzki himself has said that in summers when he takes off from basketball, he is much more ready to play the grueling NBA season.

At 32, that would seem to apply to this season as much as ever.

Dirk did say he would participate next year as Germany attempts to gain a berth in the 2012 Olympics..

"I take Dirk's decisions with mixed feelings," German coach Dirk Bauermann said. "I completely respect Dirk's decision.’’

The decision comes with respect from Germany … and with celebration in Dallas.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #2038
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
The guard problem for the Mavs isn't so much the quality of the players and their individual characteristics. Only Kidd and Barea are really point guards. Butler is a small forward trying to play shooting guard and not an especially good passer. Beaubois isn't an NBA level point guard.

So you can't play Butler and Beaubois together effectively. JET and Beaubois together are t0o small. DoJo isn't going to be ready this year. Barea will be exposed if he plays heavy minutes. Stevenson is a spare.

Dallas really needs a combo guard, or a big point guard, someone that can play beside either Beaubois or Butler, while Kidd rests--at least 18-20 minutes per game. For those of you with a long enough memory, we're looking for an Eric Snow to play next to Beaubois's Allen Iverson.

Kirk Hinrich would have been good. Or someone similar.
Eric Snow is a good analogy. Kidd brings some of that, even at his age
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #2039
41mvp
Golden Member

Dirk Nowitzki To Skip World Games, Will Be Fresh And Focused For Mavs

link

Dirk Nowitzki has decided to not participate with Team Germany in the 2010 FIBA World Championship, a tough break for his native country’s chances in international play but a boon for the Mavs – who will benefit from his focus and his freshness.

"I have signed a new contract with the Dallas Mavericks,’’ Dirk said in making the announcement. “We have a new team with new conditions and I want to set my focus on the next NBA season this summer."

We can take that “new conditions’’ mention to mean that the Mavericks probably urged Dirk to lean this way, maybe even as part of his just-signed four-year, $80-million contract … but Nowitzki himself has said that in summers when he takes off from basketball, he is much more ready to play the grueling NBA season.

At 32, that would seem to apply to this season as much as ever.

Dirk did say he would participate next year as Germany attempts to gain a berth in the 2012 Olympics..

"I take Dirk's decisions with mixed feelings," German coach Dirk Bauermann said. "I completely respect Dirk's decision.’’

The decision comes with respect from Germany … and with celebration in Dallas.

very good Dirk we need you in Dallas.NBA Championship is the most important.
USA will be easier road to world championship

Old 07-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #2040
SMC0007
Guru

Which story should I believe?

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...