Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
P1

P1 is on a distinguished road

I would agree that without Nash this team does not make the playoffs, but is he the most valuable to this team.

Whats going to happen though when they start playing in "playoff intense" games towards the end of the season.

This is where I think Fin will show his true value to this team.

P1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2001, 06:53 PM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Nash has played great, but Finley should take over come playoff time. Mike's been waiting a long time for this...
Old 03-01-2001, 07:40 PM   #3
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

If they dont give him some rest he wont be able to take over anything. He is in the game way to much. He needs to rest a little.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:02 PM   #4

That's why they got Maxwell!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 10:14 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Is Nash getting too much credit? No. He's the Mavs' floor leader and the reason why they've been so successful dating back to the second half of last season. Not only is he a great player, but he also makes those around him play better. The same can also be said about Finley. I don't think Nash's success takes anything away from Finley's accomplishments as a Mav. Both are invaluable to this team.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:19 PM   #6
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I agree with anonymous user, that's why we brought Mad Max in, to spell Michael.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:21 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

You sure that anonymous user wasn't you again Hales? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2001, 12:08 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I still think Fin is the MVP of the team. On another board, Im having this same argument with someone. He says Nash is the MVP and the only reason we're winnin is because of him. He says that if Finley was the MVP, he would of led the Mavs to the playoffs already. That's why I asked DJ for a list of the rosters to show him that Fin wasn't playing with the kind of talent he is now. Fin is the guy that will take the team on his shoulders and carry them. He takes the shots at the end of games and usually makes the big ones down the stretch. He's not always the hero though but is the one guy you can always count on. He's never missed a game in his career, something that can't be said for Nash. He's the one, other than the coaches, that will rip into his teamates at the half for whatever reason. Should I keep going? Nash is important to the team, I don't mean to sound like he isn't but he has a breakout year and then it's become Nash this, Nash that, etc...
Old 03-02-2001, 12:11 AM   #9
djb
Administrator

Nash definitely isn't the only reason why we're winning, but you have to admit that his elevated play has resulted in more wins for the Mavs. This will always be Fin's team (as long as he's a Mav anyway), and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. The beauty of this team is that it's a TEAM. Each player brings so much to the floor..it almost brings a tear to my eye [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2001, 12:53 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Your right DJ, about this being a 'team' team. But, it pisses me off that Nash has a breakout year and it's like he's the only reason we're winning. Like Nowitzki's improved play hasn't had anything to do with it. Or the suprise play of Buckner and rookie Najera haven't contributed at times. Or that Laettner didn't have a hand in it while he was here. I think it's unfair to say Eisley couldn't do a good job of running this team because he hasn't been here as long as Nash. And, all along, you have Fin who has been the most steady rock and most consistant player for the team (excluding his 3-point shooting). Ok, Im tired, it's off to bed. Talk to you guys tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:24 AM   #11
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

How can you name a MVP of his team right now. I watched games this year when nash wasnt around and this team has a different look without him in there. What about Nowitzki? He has been probably the most impressive of the bunch because he is so versatile. How many 7 footers can do what he does. When he is on, he can dominate with the best. Then there is Finley... the most consistent of the bunch... take away the first month of the season. He commands double teams which frees up everyone else. So to try and argue one is more important that the other could go on for a long time. This reminds me os a few years ago when all of Dallas was having the whole Aikman, Irvin, Smith debate...
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:58 PM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

This was an impressive posts, especially your comments Giostar or am I getting you confused with Fidel. I think I am. Either way, very interesting posts here.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:27 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

What?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 09:18 AM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

Your views on players. I was confusing you with Giostar (Because you two use the same icon). No biggie.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:42 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

haha, fidel and giostar, definitely two different sets of views.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 06:05 PM   #16
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Ya- Mr. Finley sure showed his true value to the team alright. He really carried them like a superstar should. Two points in 39 minutes.

Actually its too bad, he really did great all year, for the past three years actually. But- come crunch time he vanished. The Kid thinks he was tired? Do superstars get tired in elimination games? Not Jordan. Not Magic. Not Bird. Not Doctor J. Not Isaah. I could go on, but you get the picture.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:42 AM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

No the rest of them just get hurt (with the exception of Jordan that is).
Old 05-17-2001, 11:16 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original topic. I would agree that without Nash this team does not make the playoffs, but is he the most valuable to this team. The Mavs are like a sports car. With the wrong gas (Eisley at times), they sputter and don't perform well. Nash is the right fuel for the team. We are a finely tuned machine when he's out on the floor (and healthy). The team needs Nash, but he is not the most valuable player on our team.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote