Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-17-2001, 09:50 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

There was some talk on another board about a possible trade between us and the Heat. It was said that the Heat were interested in Eisley (take it for what it's worth-some Heat fans were in favor of it, but you know). We send Eisley and they send us Hardaway and Carter. Im not sure if it works salary wise or if throw-ins need to be added. Frankly, Im all for Eisley and a Hardaway straight up deal. Again, I don't know if that works either. What do you think?
Old 05-17-2001, 10:32 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hardaway was a great player once. He's just too broken down now. Didn't he make like 12 mil last year?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:41 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure if that was the amount he was paid but I remember it being a lot. I just think he would be a better fit than Eisley here. He wouldn't be logging that many minutes, not enough to be injured all the time, I wouldn't think like he was in Miami. Plus, he's good friens with Nelson. I kinda like the idea and it gets Eisley out of here too.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:47 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'd rather have Eisley more then Timmy. Hardaway's on the back end of his career and like MFFL said, He's breaking down. Don't know if having him along with an injury prone starter(Nash) would be a good idea. Eisley would be more reliable in the long run IMO.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:58 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Now if you were serious about getting a power player, Miami might be a good fit. Juwan for Hardaway for salary matching purposes. Eisley for the player we want. Juwan would be a prize for Riley. Remember he offered that outrageous salary to Juwan that Washington matched.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:15 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MFFL, Im not sure if Riley is still wanting Howard but I do remember that whole thing when Howard signed the contract we all hate. Anthony Mason is a free agent, could something be worked out there? How much would he be worth? Is it possible if we sent Howard, Trent and Eisley for Mason and Carter and maybe Dan Marjerle? Im not big on Marjerle but I figure some throw-ins would have to go for it to work and they don't have much throw-in.

Some of the problems with this is--Does Miami really want to take on another big contract. I would think not but who knows? Would a Trent and Eisley work for Mason and Carter? That just sounds like a steal to me for the Mavs. Another problem is Trent. I don't think he will want to go to a team to be backup.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:21 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MavsFanFinley - we would be sending out a lot of contract and not getting as much back. That's the reason I included Hardaway. Trent was quoted a few days ago stating he doesn't need to start, he could be a 6th man. Trent would also fit into that offense effectively.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:24 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

See, I would rather have Hardaway over Marjerle anyway, I was just trying to work something else cause your not for Hardway here but that trade would work salary wise?

Mavs get: Anthony Mason, Tim Hardaway and Anthony Carter

Heat get: Howard, Trent and Eisley

How would salaries work with that?
Old 05-17-2001, 11:33 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

It looks like Juwan makes almost as much as the 3 Miami players by himself. Wow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2001, 11:38 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Ok, call me stupid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

But with Mason and Hardaway being free agents, wouldn't we just pay them a little more to match? I wouldn't over-pay them just to match salaries of course but is it that off? I mean our we talking big difference? What if we left off Trent?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:08 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

I don't know how much salaries players can be offered. NBATalk had a listing of a player's max salary for his years in the NBA, but I don't remember. Might match, might not. Real GM does not have the 2001/02 salaries in yet.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:42 AM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Hardaway is a free agent, I think he's at the point in his career where he would take less. Miami could sign Mason and Hardaway and make that trade, all would probably fit under the cap IF Hardaway isn't paid in the range he was last year which was 12 Mil.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:45 AM   #13
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Does Mason want to go to another team or does Riley not want him there? Just wondering..
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 10:15 AM   #14
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

"Real GM does not have the 2001/02 salaries in yet"

Sure they do, right Here . Pick the team that has the players salary you wanna see. They go through the 2006-2007 season.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 01:40 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

But they don't have next year's salaries plugged into the Real GM so a trade analysis can be made.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:41 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

I think Mason probably wants to get out of there now that Zo is playing again. He liked being able to move in the low post without another low post presence there. Something he would be able to do here. Bradley is there blocking shots, he doesn't need to the ball in the post, Mason could control it for all we cared.

However I think Riley is pretty happy with him. However they need a shake up on that team badly.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:43 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

I think the major objection I would have to making a trade with Miami would be the same objection I would have to making a trade with Utah. The systems are so radically different that their players may not be successful here (aka Eisley).
Old 05-18-2001, 02:27 PM   #18
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

We need a player like mason here. Someone who has the balls to bang around with some big boys. He is very physical, something we really, really lack. He rebounds well, he shoots pretty well and he can play defense, where could we go wrong.Eisly just plain sucks. I would take tim hardaway for him anyday. If timmy didnt work out here so what, we could get erick stricland very cheap. We need to do a few changes here. J Howard is not going to take us to the promise land. The only good thing out of that trade was Calvin Booth, He has unlimited potential. If it wasnt for him, we wouldnt made it to the second round. Of course its a team effort I know. Wang is going to be another Nowitzki I do believe, but he will need a few years to develop NBA game. WE NEED SOME PHYSICAL PLAYERS>
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 02:27 PM   #19
dallmav

WE NEED SOME PHYSICAL PLAYERS>
Old 05-18-2001, 06:08 PM   #20
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

We have Trent and we already can't find him minutes
Old 05-18-2001, 09:44 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

If the Heat don't want Howard--which Im thinking we're stuck with him now. How about we send Trent and Eisley to the Heat for either Tim Hardaway (Nelson favorite) or Anthony Carter and Bruce Bowen? I know Bowen isn't the banger were looking for but is a definite upgrade from Trent. He gives you rebounding and defense. That leaves us the exception to go after Jerome Williams or the like and another guard.

Old 05-19-2001, 10:41 AM   #22
dallmav

We do have trent, but he also played like shit scooter. You tell me when he played 5 minutes of good ball this year. You cant because theres not 1 minute of good ball from him. I take that back, the night he got chalupas and caused all the rukus
Old 05-19-2001, 01:06 PM   #23
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Calvin Booth has unlimited potential? At his very best, he's a 15/8/2.5 player, and he'll never get that many minutes or offensive looks while he's on the Mavericks. He's also prone to huge mental mistakes, fouls, and he is a much worse individual defender than Shawn Bradley... I love Booth, and he has stretches where he is huge for the team, but I think he's more than a little overrated among the fans here, and he is MOST CERTAINLY NOT a replacement for #44 yet.

Gary Trent, on the other hand, is a Chalupa Legend, and cannot be overvalued....
Old 05-19-2001, 01:41 PM   #24
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Im not being a smart ass here but you asked dallmav. And just to make myself clear--I want Trent out the door NOW, he's worn his welcome here and he knows it.

The only time I saw Trent play any decent ball this season was against the Heat in Dallas. I think it was the game that Nash injured himself and missed 5-8 games with the hamstring?

Anyway, Trent played 14 minutes, scored 10 points on 5-7 shooting, grabbed 5 rebounds and had a blocked shot.

That sure don't make up for all the shit we've had to sit through with him but it was a decent outing. I think the only way he can get better again is on another team--the whole new start thing.
Old 05-19-2001, 11:47 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Trent could be a usuable part on certain teams. I wonder if we'll get much for him. I've read in a few places that he might sign a free agent deal with Seattle.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:20 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I don't think we'll get much for Trent at all, so if he left by signing a deal elsewhere without us, I wouldn't feel cheated necessarily--like he left us dry or something like that. You know, like Shandon Anderson did to Utah?

Hopefully though, we can package him with Eisley and get something more--but wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.
Old 05-21-2001, 01:52 AM   #27
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I think the Sonics would trade for Trent, but I don't think they'd give up Jelani McCoy would they?
Old 05-21-2001, 09:07 AM   #28
TheKid
Diamond Member

Jelani McCoy is a poor man's Calvin Booth. Also, I agree with you Mavinator about Booth's potential except it's MUCH to early to say if he has the ability to replace Bradley yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped at the way Bradley played in the playoffs except I wonder can he give us that type of play through an entire season? Personally if I think anyone has the ability to be more consistent over the course of a season I would say Booth. Only because he's a tad bit more athletic (nothing major though). Also, it's amazing when he knows he has the confidence of his teammates how much better he plays. So it's going to be interesting to see how he plays after going through training camp next year.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:48 PM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I'll have to check, but I believe that Jelani McCoy is a free agent this summer. I would like to trade him straight up for Trent if that's the case.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:17 PM   #30
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I would love to get Carter from the Heat, or even Greg Anthony from the Blazers. Both of those guys would give very solid minutes at the PG backup slot and they are both very nice defenders.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 01:37 PM   #31
TheKid
Diamond Member

Be careful about Greg Anthony. He plays well for the Blazers because limited minutes, however he tends to get a little OC when he gets extended minutes.